[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does every MMORPG suck so much shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

File: hmm....jpg (10KB, 196x250px) Image search: [Google]
hmm....jpg
10KB, 196x250px
Why does every MMORPG suck so much shit?
>>
File: Yusuke_Naora_FFXI_11_years.jpg (247KB, 988x340px) Image search: [Google]
Yusuke_Naora_FFXI_11_years.jpg
247KB, 988x340px
>>381387148
Because normans. MMORPG's were good once.
>>
>>381387148
Holy trinity combat design which means the combat, the thing you do constantly, is extremely boring combined with intentionally exploitative skinner box design and wiki's for everything removing a lot of the "magic"
>>
>>381387507
Holy trinity isn't really the source of the problem as much as having everything be rotation-based with no real build diversity.
>>
>>381387148
they're such a big investment that nobody wants to take any risks with them

so instead you get cash shop infested, hotbar combat dominated dogshit meant to waste enough your time
>>
>>381387148
Because you didn't play Runescape in its prime
>>
they all wanna try to be wow so they don't try anything new and there's no point in playing a wow clone when you could just be playing wow instead
>>
90% of them are linear garbage, directly influenced by WoW. on top of that, they're loaded with microtransactions and other Jewry.

an open pvp, skill-point based MMO with a monthly sub could remedy it, but i doubt the demand is there anymore. WoW ruined MMOs.
>>
>>381389059
Everyone was playing Runescape while I was a hipster faggot who played AdventureQuest
>>
They try to achieve long playability by huge grinding and baiting you with items and skins.

They should try to achieve long playability with fantastic gameplay, a great world that you can explore thoroughly and REAL HOUSING, not instanced housing
>>
>>381387693
The very concept of rotations and there being one correct way to play is the most obvious problem with the WoW clone, but the 'trinity' is a problem that can extend beyond just WoW clones. It is just as much of a problem in the end.
>>
>>381389270
>tfw SWG does this so well
>WELP WOW RELEASE LET MAKE SWG WOW
Fuck you Lucas Art
>>
>>381387148
go play a legacy wow server you fuckin baby
>>
File: 1454864570411.jpg (16KB, 447x444px) Image search: [Google]
1454864570411.jpg
16KB, 447x444px
>>381390093
>WoW
>>
>>381387507
Thats funny because all games that dont follow the trinity formula fucking suck more than the ones who do.
>>
File: 1498038092197.jpg (102KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1498038092197.jpg
102KB, 640x640px
>>381387148

People on /v/ literally dont even play video games
>>
File: nevaeva.jpg (313KB, 687x1024px) Image search: [Google]
nevaeva.jpg
313KB, 687x1024px
I'm more interested in the question why all the "good" old MMORPGs died. Like UO, SWG, DAoC. People cry everyday how good they were, but barely or no one is playing theme anymore.
How come? EVE is still alive and it's basically an excel spreadsheet.
>>
>>381390614
>but barely or no one is playing theme anymore.
because they're long dead, and nothing is going to recapture the magic from when they were legitimately active. last time i tried playing on a UO player server there was hardly anyone playing, except for Koreans. half the fun of UO's freedom was the relatively large playerbase that came along with it.

as for why they died, they all died because they wound up becoming casualized to expand their reach, even though it achieved the opposite. UO by introducing trammel, SWG with the combat upgrade, etc.
>>
>>381390614
>SWG
This is an easy one
>Some fags complain about wanting jedis
>WoW was release
>Lucas Arts had SoE come up with similar system to WoW to get all those wow cash, and it must have jedi
>NGE happen
>Most of the playerbase hates it and fuck off forever
>many years later
>They want ToR to be release but SWG still exist
>they had SWG's plug pull
And let not get into the emulators. SWGemu/Basilisk still exist (And lasted longer than proper SWG I might add) but the whole part where they're planning to deleted everything once they finish Jedi and Space travel is a turn off. Every other Emulator is full with drama, wipes, and closures.
>>
>>381389157
And wow isn't going to die anytime soon, either
>>
File: greengrocer.jpg (17KB, 514x344px) Image search: [Google]
greengrocer.jpg
17KB, 514x344px
>mfw will never play Myth of Soma again
>mfw nobody played it or heard of it
>mfw I sound like a hipster fag when I ust want to play with somebody
>>
MMOs never had good game play. The only reason they were fun was because introverted fuckups could play together and form strong relationships over a similar interest. Games have since then been trying to make the gameplay fun/ more involved or accessible at the cost of the social aspect.

In the end MMOs decided not to play to their strengths, but rather try to make their weaknesses more bareable for your average player.
>>
File: 62828570_p0.jpg (739KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
62828570_p0.jpg
739KB, 1000x1000px
Because pretty much all of them now cater towards anti-social players that want to be able to grind by themselves.
>>
File: chocobos last stand.webm (3MB, 680x380px) Image search: [Google]
chocobos last stand.webm
3MB, 680x380px
play ffxiv now
>>
>>381396284
Whoa, pretty colors! Now I'm convinced I need to play this right now :D
>>
>>381387148
Because SOE killed Star Wars Galaxies
>>
>>381387148
Blade & Soul had good gameplay, it's feels like a combat game since it has auto balance and combos. The story and everything else you do is generic as fuck though.

But let's be honest, the game doesn't matter if you play an MMO is because you want to know people, obviously you don't have friends to play video games with.
>>
>>381396602
You mean Lucas Art, anon. They want more number from WoW and had SoE revamp SWG, along with instant usage of Jedi, or get fired.
>>
>>381387148
>tfw there will never be a good sandbox MMO purely based on player interaction
When will themepark faggots learn?
>>
File: 1497878316671.jpg (50KB, 524x700px) Image search: [Google]
1497878316671.jpg
50KB, 524x700px
why is nobody mentioning teso
its quite nice
>>
File: yoda.gif (982KB, 400x170px) Image search: [Google]
yoda.gif
982KB, 400x170px
>>381396602
>>381397884
>"We really just needed to make the game a lot more accessible to a much broader player base," said Nancy MacIntyre, the game's senior director at LucasArts.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/10/arts/for-online-star-wars-game-its-revenge-of-the-fans.html
Of course, it a fucking woman.
>>
FFXIV is the only MMO I've found interesting the past decade
>>
>>381398419
If only the combat didn't feel so slow leveling up.
>>
>>381398967
PotD is your friend
>>
>>381387148
the genre isn't fun
>>
Is EVE worth trying if you're a solo guy? I usually avoid committing to online communities so I'm not sure about ever wanting to join a corp. And I know mining is a meme, before you tell me.
>>
A lot of MMOs should've been single-player RPGs but then publishers/developers saw WoW and thought they could make millions of dollars a month instead.

pre-WoW MMOs were actually MMOs. WoW and post-WoW MMOs removed most of the grueling social aspects and experimental game philosophies. Koster might've sniffed his own farts while making SW:G and written a thesis on FUN in vidya, UO might've been full of cheating PK shitheads who were 100% the reason EverQuest model dominated the scene instead of the UO model, DAoC might've had wacky population and balance issues, EQ might've only been a good game for highschoolers and NEETs...but by god, they had community! Without community why is it even an MMO?
>>
MMOs may be more compelling a genre if the mechanics weren't so shallow.
>>
>>381399548
sure if you like wormhole space
and if you want a scrap every now and then make an alt and join red vs blue
>>
Are there at least decent sandbox MMO?

All i want is to waste my time in comfiness while watching the world slowly change around me.
>>
>>381400563
None. You can thank Trion for fucking that up.
>>
File: 1310684398574.png (200KB, 427x381px) Image search: [Google]
1310684398574.png
200KB, 427x381px
>people actually get angry if they miss a raid
>>
File: 1498056156547.png (123KB, 577x603px) Image search: [Google]
1498056156547.png
123KB, 577x603px
Its past its prime because of how gaming trends shift.

Just as we are nearing the end of MOBAs and Battle Royale/ Hunger Games, MMOs have past their prime because most gamers now play solo and would rather not talk, thus making it hard to form any sort of community that could resemble MMOs in their early days.

Its the same reason why RTS is dwindling away, the lowest common denominator of gamers want instant gratification in their games. MMOs cant instantly gratify and when they try to (WoW and FFXIV's leveling boosts), they pull people in who only stick around until they stop steamrolling through everything.

I personally play both WoW and FFXIV and have quit multiple times because I was playing the games solo, having almost no interactions with guild members which is not how the game is supposed to be played.

TLDR; most people now dont wanna build up relationships and take their time with games, everyone is an impatient sperg who needs instant gratification in their games.
>>
>>381401570
>Its the same reason why RTS is dwindling away
Is it really?

I always thought RTS were too fast paced. It's not like Civ V where just one standard match takes eons to finish. One would believe people get more instant gratification with RTS.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.