[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Paper Mario not as good as Super Mario RPG?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 300px-Super_Mario_RPG_Box.png (139KB, 300x208px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Super_Mario_RPG_Box.png
139KB, 300x208px
Why was Paper Mario not as good as Super Mario RPG?
>>
One was made for kids one was made for RPG fans.
>>
because SMRPG was made by square in the absolute prime of their JRPG development period. It takes some of the best features from games they'd developed, mixes them with nintendo properties and an actually fairly engaging story and then has timed hits just cause.

paper mario is great in it's own right but it misses a lot of the charm I felt from SMRPG and instead goes for a deeper story that's more defined instead of smithy bad he take stars, plus it's nice to see bowser as a bad guy.
The partner system is just different and threw a lot of traditional JRPG fans off because it was so unique at the time. The platforming and puzzles were also a thing that wasn't exactly praised at the time of release.

Overall I think they're both great games, SMRPG just does what I want from a JRPG, while paper mario is a type of turn based RPG I didn't know I wanted, but do.
>>
>>381386705

So would you say Paper Mario took alot of liberties and played with the series, while still staying true to its genre and franchise as a while, yet still fell short of Mario RPG in a number of ways?
>>
>>381386841
In a sense. I don't think they were meant to compete though. I don't think paper mario was really meant to be a proper sequel to SMRPG, but instead a reimagining with the star concept, powers from the stars (which was implied to have been a concept from old dev chat footage for SMRPG), expansion upon timed hits by adding other small timed actions to increase damage in techs, and stuff like that.

It ran away with the gameplay to a point where it got to be a bit much (in my opinion), and took the story to be a more centralized element instead of it just being a romp throughout mushroom kingdom.
>>
>>381386495
It was better though, SMRPG is easily the worst Mario RPG. Both the Paper and Mario & Luigi series are a lot better.
>>
>>381387267

Agreed. I still like both because they do something I feel like more RPGS should do: they don't put too much focus on the story. It's quite a feat when I care more about a rotund plumber traveling with a marshmallow, a goomba, a fire breathing turtle, and a princess, while I don't feel even a slight bit of emotion for generic spiky haired anime teen #4738
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.