[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System Shock:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Systemshock2box.jpg (25KB, 250x288px) Image search: [Google]
Systemshock2box.jpg
25KB, 250x288px
I just finished SS2. Really damn good game. I really hope the remake for the original is good because I started playing the original and, boy that game aged like milk. Something I noticed about SS2 is the lack of interesting enemy designs. Compared to the original, it lacks in that, but it exceeds at everything else. What do you guys think of System Shock?
>>
you have shit taste
contemplate ending your own life
>>
>>381386245
nah
>>
It's essential vidya kino.
>>
>>381384743
it's good
>>
>>381384743
Played both earlier this year. I loved System Shock 1, great Metroidvania game. Hasn't aged well in terms of controls and interface, and frankly the gameplay isn't up the par (there's not as much freedom as people claim, you don't really have to commit to a playstyle, resources are super plentiful, enemy AI is very basic, etc). But the music, atmosphere, and level design is fantastic. Also SHODAN's voice work is just a tad better.

I think SS2 is by far the superior game in terms of mechanics. So much depth and tight systems. Amazing environmental and audio design too. Doesn't seem like it's aged at all.

As for the System Shock remake, that actually looks awful to me so far. They're going with Bioshock-inspired orchestral music, which is shit, and the SHODAN voice is all wrong in the latest trailer (doesn't matter that it's the same person, it's wrong). We'll see how it turns out, but expectations are low.
>>
What are the chances that System Shock 3 (the real one, not the remake) will be good?
>>
>>381388970
I have no idea. I just hope it isn't as disappointing as Bioshock Infinite was.
Christ, I really hope they don't change the gameplay formula just to appease people who don't even like these types of games.
>>
>>381388970
Unclear. Warren Spector (Ultima Underworld, original SS, Deus Ex) is heading the project, and he seems to care about good game design, but he might get stuck trying to appeal to a broad demographic. His last few efforts have skewed in that direction, and he seems to care more about innovation than cohesive design.

Not expecting Ken Levine levels of ego-tripping though.
>>
>>381388970
I am kind of worried that they might try to dumb it down after Prey ended up not doing so well. While SS2 was a great game and a favorite of mine, it was a failure sales-wise.
>>
>>381388786
>So much depth and tight systems.
Too bad half the skills/weapons/psi powers are useless though.
>>
>>381389798
Check out Secmod. Rebalances and adds many new features to accomodate a huge number of playstyles.
>>
>>381389901
I don't think you can legitimately claim the game has tight systems if you have to mod it to balance things.
>>
File: 1496712582364.jpg (22KB, 740x784px) Image search: [Google]
1496712582364.jpg
22KB, 740x784px
My friend is trying to argue that GTA V and Red Dead can be considered RPG's like SS2, Planetscape, and Deus Ex. I think I may strangle him
>but GTA V has skills too
>you're roleplaying as 3 criminals
>you gain skill through the game, that's character building
someone help me.
>>
>>381390205
RPG systems can be tightly designed even when imbalances exist. It is incredibly hard to make impactful upgrade systems where everything is on equal footing. The reason I say tightly designed is that every system in the game services its goal of facing the player with tough choices and tough encounters.

>>381390302
RPGs are games where you make meaningful choices about how you interact with the world and build up your character. If you can just fuck about and there's not any consequence for your choices, it's not an RPG. You know, like Fallout 4
>>
>>381384743
Just play the new Prey
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.