[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix controllers? Keep in mind that consoles end up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: How do we improve controllers.png (3MB, 5144x1336px) Image search: [Google]
How do we improve controllers.png
3MB, 5144x1336px
How do we fix controllers? Keep in mind that consoles end up affecting PC, so this involves everybody.

>Analog sticks have so much aim assist you practically aren't playing the game
>Only 4 buttons on a standard controller can be used without sacrificing use of one of the sticks
>We have a ton of menus for some games but only start, select, and the typical home/console button for menus, menu navigation in console games is usually cumbersome because of the sticks, often translates to the PC version
Pretty much everything could be and really should be better for controllers

In pic related I've assembled all of the controllers/gaming things with buttons and shit on them that do something differently than the standard controller/console. I want to talk about how we can use what they have and other shit to improve the typical controller experience.
Specifics on what I'm talking about for each one is coming in the next post(s?).

If you want be puritan and keep current style controls exactly where they are don't shitpost and actually explain your points instead of calling everything a meme.
>>
WiiU
>Touchscreen menu navigation (Zelda Remakes, Splatoon, Deus Ex Human Revolution)/other functions (TMS #FE's phone and battle details, ultimate's and jumping to team mates in Splatoon, etc)
>Gyro aiming with a screen on the controller that can potentially reflect your actions
>Pro controller has top tier dpad
3DS
>Same touchscreen functions as the WiiU
>Although for gameplay it has Kid Icarus Uprising, the touchscreen controls in that games are pretty much the closest thing to mouse accuracy outside of the mouse, something on a WiiU, Switch (if it has a stylus?)
>Gyro that moves around the screen on your controller
>Circle pads (if they would have had ANY fucking grip) are better for movement than analog sticks because the sliding motion is much closer to mirroring what's happening in game than the flopping motion
>3D gives you actual depth of perception for platforming and everything else
Vita
>Trying to make use of the space behind the console with the back touchpad (Ps1/2 trigger/lr2 emulation, Ys, Tearaway, among other)
>Touchscreens that's good for menu navigation
>Touchscreen is good for different gameplay applications than the WiiU/3DS it lacks the accuracy without the stylus but dodging in Gravity Rush is a lot of fun, there were the sacrifices for Soul Sacrifice using the screen pretty well, the corner inputs were useful
Switch
>Joycons can be various controllers (Attached to the screen, attached to each other, attached to a controller dock, or separately off to the side)
>Gyro controls, presumably (hopefully) with fancier and more sensitive gyro than the WiiU's or 3DS's (Already pretty good gyto)
>Gyro standard in every pro controller (local multiplayer compatible)
>Was going to have shoulder buttons based on mouse wheels that could be clicked and rolled left or right but they backed out
>>
PS2
>Analog on every button
Ps4
>Gyro (Rarely used, Gravity Rush ports)
>Analog triggers
>trackpad in the center great for menu navigation, can be used on PC with the steam controller overlay for quick menus or mouse control
Steam Controller
>The most customizable controller
>Multiple inputs on one button at different times via mode shifting, hold down a button in use or not, and it can change what another button does
>Trackpads allow for more precise camera aiming, many different style of camera aiming, many different uses like a dpad, 4 face buttons, radial menus (up to 20 buttons), quick menus (up to 16 buttons), a scroll wheel style input (rotating on the pad, great as an alternate to put zoom in and zoom out on with mode shifting)
>Significantly more sensitive than a laptop trackpad, can be felt through a custom skin for the controller, my shirt, etc.
>The controller gives feedback as well, like when you move over to another option on a radial or quick menu, or to simulate an analog stick, it works great for normal mouse/mouse emulation aiming and gyro as well
>Gyro applied to any game you want in any way you want
>Highly customizable triggers, buttons at the bottom of them
>Haptics for literally every button on top of all the gyro and trackpad stuff
>You can change the intensity of the fucking light on the goddamn logo
>Backpaddles
Gamecube
>Button layout based on use
>Whatever the shoulders have going on with them (analog?)
>Rigids on the edge of the control stick for precise inputs
Xbone Elite
>TWO backpaddles
>Interchangeable parts based on prefernces (styles of sticks, rigid on the edge or not, different dpads for platformers and fps style games)
Sega Saturn/Sega in general
>Six face buttons
>Interesting dpads but I'm not really the person to tell you what's going on with it
>>
All I know is that controllers in general are fine, but that you should have more than one on hand for what you intend to play.

I wouldn't want to play any kind of FPS with a controller, but by the same token I wouldn't want to play a racing game with a keyboard. There really isn't a one-size-fits-all solution to game control, and attempting to make one would simply create more problems than fix them.
>>
File: 1359607167960.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
1359607167960.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>>381364905
>If you want be puritan and keep current style controls exactly where they are don't shitpost and actually explain your points
>"All I know is that controllers in general are fine"
>Keep in mind that consoles end up affecting PC, so this involves everybody.
>"I wouldn't want to play any kind of FPS with a controller, but by the same token I wouldn't want to play a racing game with a keyboard"
>I'm on PC and can change my controls so it's fine
So am I dude but a there's a reason games getting consolized over the years has made them so much less complex. It's because the controller scheme that's become standard can't handle the complexity that PC could. The gap needs to be bridged.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.