[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Vita fail?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1498074991597.jpg (226KB, 1440x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1498074991597.jpg
226KB, 1440x1344px
Why did the Vita fail?
>>
File: 1463534399879.png (3MB, 1543x5500px) Image search: [Google]
1463534399879.png
3MB, 1543x5500px
Doom was never released for it
>>
People said the same thing about the PSP on release
>>
Sounds like Switch is failing there.
>>
people didn't buy it because it was expensive. And because people didn't buy it 3rd party's ignored it, so it had no games either.

The same thing almost happened to the 3DS till in a move of desperation Nintendo dropped its price.
>>
>>381360348
Because it's expensive as shiet (not counting the stupid overpriced memory cards) and most of it's games are niche japanese stuff.

How it managed to stay alive in japan and outsell the Wii U is something I'll never get.
>>
There's hardly any developers left to support it, 2006-2009 fucked up the industry
>>
How does it still outsell the PS4 on crossplatform software in Japan?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REaUzHef9h4
>>
Expensive proprietary memory cards, more expensive in general than the 3DS, rise of mobile gaming, and lack of first party support after like the first year. A lot of third parties also kinda abandoned it, now its mostly just niche Japanese DRPGs and VNs, which I enjoy personally but that doesn't carry a console.
>>
>>381360348
Wow Sony really has Europe by balls
>>
>>381363237
Actual European here. Hardware wise, yes. But sales wise, its actually really lacking.
The PS4 is drowning in the normies and the only games that actually sell a lot are sports games and the occasional shooters. Nintendo and Sony are so vastly different from each other that they basically cater to a completely demographic. The Fifa game on the Switch might change that but it probably won't.

The PC is still the most popular however. It was even back then and it still is now.
>>
>>381363237
Fifa is considered a playstation series over there
>>
>>381360348
No games
>>
>>381360348
Shit marketing. Why do you always make this thread?
>>
Vita is my favorite system of all time. If you like jap games it's the best thing on the market. Niche gamers dream machine.
>>
>>381360348
Do you mean why did it fail in general, or why has it dropped like a rock this past year in Japan?
>>
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/07/10/how-the-nintendo-3ds-succeeded-where-the-ps-vita-failed/#296762114195

>"Software sells hardware," goes Nintendo's old mantra, an attitude that sometimes seems quaint in a world with dozens of different gaming devices in arms reach and an industry defined by multiplatform releases. I'm not sure if this is some kind of universal truth -- the Wii U lagged behind both the Xbox One and PS4 even when it had a vastly superior exclusive lineup -- but it's clearly the mindset that saved the 3DS. The 3DS, despite the glasses-free 3D, has no ultra-compelling, knock your socks off hardware reason to buy, especially in a world where phones can scratch all sorts of entertainment itches. But it has games. It has exclusive, fun games that people want, games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Zelda and Smash Bros. And that, at the end of the day that's the reason people are buying it. Because they want to play these games, and you need a 3DS to play them on.

>That's the main reason, but the Vita's failure tells us a little bit more about just what it was that caused. For one thing, the concept of exclusivity is hugely important here. The Vita actually has a huge number of great games, from Mutant Blobs Attack and Guacamelee to The Unfinished Swan, Persona 4, Spelunky and The Walking Dead, but all of these games are available elsewhere in some form, and so they don't necessarily demand the purchase of a Vita. The only truly Vita-specific, important exclusive I can think of right now is Tearaway, and that's being adapted to PS4. But that's only part of it. All of the early Vita exclusives -- and all of its early marketing -- revolved around the concept of playing full console games on the go: see Assassin's Creed: Liberation and Uncharted: Golden Abyss. And as it turned out, people just didn't want that all that much. For console games, people are just fine playing on a console.
>>
I don't even want to buy a vita to hack because of the cost of memory cards - shit's insane.
>>
http://www.goliath.com/gaming/10-reasons-why-the-playstation-vita-failed/

>Sony Chose To Ignore It

>As Kotaku’s Jason Schreier pointed out last year, Sony is the reason why the Vita failed. It wasn’t mobile gaming or some other boogeyman, it was simply a case of Sony shooting themselves in the foot for years (his words, not mine). One need only look at Sony’s apathetic treatment of the Vita over the last few years to see this. Numerous trade shows have gone by with Sony barely acknowledging the system’s existence, which seems like a peculiar business strategy for a product they spent a lot of time and money creating in the first place.

>The Vita was an exciting device when it hit the market back in 2012 (pretty graphics! two analog sticks!) but as soon as the system’s fortunes began to turn the other way, Sony started acting as if the Vita didn’t exist. Perhaps there was nothing Sony could have done and the Vita was always destined for failure, but it would have been reassuring — especially for Vita owners who knew how great it really was — if Sony had at least tried to right the ship rather than set fire to the whole thing.
>>
It lost the pokemon equivalent that sony handhelds had, Monster Hunter.

Remember that Sony honestly tried selling people on the notion of handheld cawadoody.
>>
>>381367464
Best part is that Sony didn't just set fire, they looted the damn thing. They ported most of the Vita exclusive games to the PS4. It would have been better off if Sony had just merely ignored it instead of stabbing it in the back like that.
>>
>>381360348
because it was a locked down piece of shit. The memory cards were proprietary and way out the ass over priced
>>
>>381367918
They're even looting the PSP now to give the PS4 more games. They have no shame.
>>
>>381360348
SoA hated it
>>
>>381364024
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/874457564645339136/photo/1
>This gives PlayStation 4 a software tie ratio of 8 games per system sold.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.