[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

movement and controls in cod

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

File: somerandompic.jpg (643KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
somerandompic.jpg
643KB, 1024x768px
i'd like an actual conversation about this.

why do cod games feel so good in terms of movement and controls, aiming down sights, crouching, proning, running?

i've had the feeling that every game i've been playing so far has failed to reach those standards of feelgood controls. i don't really know what to call it.

compare cod to any shooter games right now.
>rising storm 2
>planetside
>PUBG
>rust
I'm not including CSGO into this because it lacks a lot of the movement capabilities that other games have or they're heavily restricted.

why does every game feel so fucking clunky in comparison to cod?

am i looking at cod with rose tinted glasses? i haven't played any cod game since MW3?
>>
File: IMG_0364.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0364.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Mw2 best cod hands down. Mw3 maps were ass
>>
guess you have not played titanfall games and they are made by old cod developers.
>>
I didn't like them from MW2 onwards. They got too fast. Plus every other element went downhill too.
>>
>>381329779
Quake engine mostly. Most newer games and engines tie more realistic, drawn-out animations and slow movement speeds to your actions.
>>
>>381329779
>rising storm 2
>clunky
Heavy maybe, but it fits the theme
>>
>>381331851
>it fits the theme

What's the theme? Shitty, dead games?
>>
>>381329779
god that map was so shit, yet I always voted for it.
>>
60FPS, for starters.
>>
Fast startup frames = snappy and responsive

It's why NRS fighting games feel like they're underwater compared to every other fighting game ever
>>
>>381331091
This. Try playing Quake 1 from fucking 1996 and feel how great the movement is compared to modern games.
>>
File: getaload.jpg (9KB, 200x219px) Image search: [Google]
getaload.jpg
9KB, 200x219px
>>381332339
>>
Is it Treyarch's turn next year?
It sucks that they didn't get to do WWII. WaW was great.
>>
>>381332650
they will probably do vietnam, Actvision is stupid but they're not stupid enough to do space again.
>>
>>381332650
I think we will finally get WAW II
>>
>>381332313
What's a startup frame? Is this some retarded fighting game lingo?
>>
>>381333014
>doesn't understand something
>its retarded, not me
>>
>>381333209
>has a poor understanding of game engines based on things he's read on forums as evidenced by slang usage that doesn't apply in any way
>when pressed, can't explain what it is and gets on the defensive and tries to turn it around

l m a o
>>
File: frames.png (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
frames.png
26KB, 600x600px
>>381333720
Startup frames are all the extra animation before a move is active.

Recovery frames are all the animation after a move is active.

Active frames are all the frames of animation that move is actually doing something.

The less startup frames the more "responsive" a move feels.
In most games nowadays there's a lot of startup frames on everything. It makes everything feel laggy and heavy, because realism.

Next time you want something explained, don't be so abrasive. You fucking moron
>>
>>381332650
What made waw so good? I recently replayed the campaign and it didnt feel as good as when i played it when it was released
>>
>>381334242
then you have poor taste.
>>
>>381334242
Last time I played was last decade, so I couldn't say for sure. MW, WaW, & MW2 is the golden streak though. I liked the blops campaign, but didn't really like the mp.
>>
>>381329779
because for the most part, call of duty used to run on the quake engine which had some of the smoothest movement control. Also, if you know some of the in's and out's of the engine, you could circle jump and bunny hop to some extent. that's what sepereates the cucks from the chads right there.
>>
>>381329779
>smooth movement, not jerky bouncy shit like in gtav first person
>fast animations
>low FOV, you cant see your characters arms flailing all around
>tons of small things, screen shake and blur balanced by a team that new what they were doing
>easy to kill enemies and rewarding kills (+100 flashes on the screen, killstreaks reward kills with more kills)
>>
>>381334816
Alright, so you ARE retarded.

Good talk.
>>
>>381329779
Cod unironically has the best shooting mechanics in the genre on par with titanfall.
Where titanfall beats cod is the movement. I have tried getting back to bo3 after months of playing titanfall 2 and couldn't stand the slowass jetpack and strafing speed. Also the fact that it manages to have memory leaks a year after release on a rig with 16gb of ram and 8gb of vram.
I'm still looking forward to treyarch's new game or, even better, their departure from activision
>>
>>381334945
My sides

How many startup frames did it take for your brain to come up with that one? LMAO
>>
File: quake_guy_by_natan77.jpg (202KB, 512x458px) Image search: [Google]
quake_guy_by_natan77.jpg
202KB, 512x458px
>>381329779
Because Quake engine.

Go play original Quake and realize just how perfect the movement feels like. CoD is built on top of that so the mechanics that make the movement feel good carry over.
>>
>>381329779
Yeah you are looking at it through rose tinted eyes. Movement became a lot more heavy after three, then suddenly became super jumpy sliding and flying. The closest thing to older CODs is Titanfall 2 even with the double jumps and wall running, it feels a lot more smoother and grounded
>>
>>381332650

It'd be nice to see a game set in Korea. They can go back to the original Black Ops formula where the premise is being a covert agent killing commies.
>>
>>381329779
KF2 and Titanfall 2 have better movement.
>>
File: nb0pw5n8yk.jpg (19KB, 449x336px) Image search: [Google]
nb0pw5n8yk.jpg
19KB, 449x336px
>>381335039

Feel free to tell me how I'm wrong

or don't, because you can't.
>>
>>381334816
What is the point of this retarded post
>>
>>381334816
Thank you based fucking mods for deleting this retarded shit
>>
File: 4HgCNvT.png (26KB, 890x201px) Image search: [Google]
4HgCNvT.png
26KB, 890x201px
>>381335409
lol wrekt
>>
>>381329779
>what is bullet drop

Enjoy your babby game, OP. I bet youeven have auto aims on
>>
New Cold War based CoD when? That setting is terribly underused.
>>
>>381334205
Not that guy and I knew what that is but do you need to start sperging about fighting game terminology on an unrelated thread? Its like when someone used the word "hitbox" in a DaS thread and some autist starts screeching about how they are actually hurtboxes.
>>
>>381335762
It's not unrelated when it's literally the definition to the problem. The other guy was the one who sperged out assuming it was a term exclusive to fighting games when it's a general term involving animation and he was just to retarded to know that.
>>
>>381329779
Good engine, input lag a priority, 60fps (even on console). They'll drop the res to laughably low rates if they have to.
>>
>>381335645
>Bullet drop at 30m
Get a load of this noguns cuck
>>
>>381335734
Cuz there's severe tensions rn with US and Russia. Media coverage would make it retarded bad.
>>
>>381334205
>In most games nowadays there's a lot of startup frames on everything. It makes everything feel laggy and heavy, because realism.

HAHAHAHA

Why are fighting game tards so fucking stupid?

>Next time you want something explained, don't be so abrasive. You fucking moron

I had to witness your retardation in its full glory. Thanks for the laugh, son.
>>
>>381335991
No, it's not, you uneducated fighting game nigger.
>>
>>381336192
You just called him retarded twice. I don't think you proved your point.
>>
File: reload cancel.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
reload cancel.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>381335762
>Not that guy and I knew what that is but do you need to start sperging about fighting game terminology on an unrelated thread

Animation being broken up into startup/active/recovery are not exclusive to fighting games.
>>
>>381336363
>Animation being broken up into startup/active/recovery are not exclusive to fighting games

They are terms created exclusively for fighting games.
>>
>>381336556
Animation being broken up into startup/active/recovery are not exclusive to fighting games.
>>
>>381336556
Startup of the reload, you can cancel out and keep shooting.

Active reload frames, you cannot shoot at all. You are committed to the reload.

Recovery frames. You can cancel out and start shooting.

Not identical to fighting games, but very similar, another example when you knife people in cod. There's startup frames that won't hurt people, active frames that will, and recovery preventing you from immediately knifing again.
>>
File: cod4promod.jpg (646KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cod4promod.jpg
646KB, 1920x1080px
i still play cod4 promod on a daily basis.
>>
>>381331851
It is clunky, stance changing is a pain in the ass a lot of the time. Iv'e had multiple instances of being in prone, trying to move an inch and suddenly my guy jumps up like he wants to sprint. Or he would refuse to prone or crouch, despite there being plenty of room. I rarely have problems like this in other games, no matter the genre. I love RS2 but its still got a lot of the same problems RO2 did. Also yes, I am aware that the slow methodical moment is a design choice, I just wish they would fix the stance transitions.
>>
>>381336556
>They are terms created exclusively for fighting games.
Are you really this outrageously stupid?
>>
>>381336867
that's what happens when you hold shift while in prone.
>>
>>381336556
> They are terms created exclusively for fighting games.
I find this very doubtful, and even if they were, they are descriptive enough to apply to other instances.
I do not play fighting games regularly, but it is easy enough to grasp the concept since the names are self-explanatory.
>>
>>381336758
Damn I don't remember CoD4 looking like ass
>>
>>381332650
It was good because they replicated MW but in WW2 settings, everything came out after that sucked, and COD3 is already the most forgettable in the series.
>>
cod movement is pretty clunky
why?
press x to vault is why
>>
>>381336950
shift is also the zoom button so if youre trying to inch forward over a hill but forget to let go of shift then he will stand up like that
not gamebreaking but it does happen every once in a while
>>
>>381336867
I agree with this post. Having to use ads to fire after sprinting rather than clicking fire to bring you out of sprint and start shooting at close range is a bitch, sprinting from prone at full tilt by pressing shift fucks you up in a ton of situations, and the cover shooting system making you shoot invisible walls and hills is fucking annoying as hell. Sure the movement is methodical, but there's definitely a lotta fuckin' jank.
>>
>>381332213
CoD didn't run at 60fps on last gen... did it?
>>
>>381337390
Yeah it's a little rough around the edges and there are quite a lot of bugs and glitches that need to be fixed but RS2 isn't supposed to be a fast paced arcade shooter like CoD or Titanfall. Instead it's a mixed bag of realistic and arcadey elements combined.
>>
>>381337808
cod is one of the few console series thats almost always been 60 fps iirc, pretty sure at least cod4 was in 60
>>
>>381332470
he's right
any quake game has better movement
>>
>>381337808
CoD has been 60fps since at least UO on xbox
>>
File: COD-Black-Ops_PS3-FOB.jpg (202KB, 1530x1758px) Image search: [Google]
COD-Black-Ops_PS3-FOB.jpg
202KB, 1530x1758px
How does /v/ feel about the Black Ops games?
>>
>>381334205
Question: do 3d fighting games, in which the animation is not made frame by frame by rather by interpolating bones' positions and rotations, is there still somehow a tie to frames, or is everything time based?

For example (made up numbers):
>0.15s for start-up
>0.2s for active effect
>0.3s for recovery
>>
>>381338520
The campaign is the embodiment of 2000s shootershit, but the zombies and multiplayer is fun
>>
>>381329779
It runs on a nigger rigged version of the ID Tech 3 engine, which goes back to games like Quake and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. These games, especially Quake, are built around a moment system that was quick, precise, and responsive. It is a pretty integral part of the engine's design. So CoD has silky smooth controls not only due to its own design, but its engine as well.
>>
>>381338584
>is there still somehow a tie to frames
They are still locked to 60fps, so at the end of the day you're still dealing with animations 1 frame at a time.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (223KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
223KB, 1024x768px
>>381338520
gamekino
>>
Play Titanfall 2, OP

>>381338520
The campaign is amazing, but the multiplayer is total letdown after MW2

>>381337191
IIRC, Promod clean up the graphics somewhat which makes it looks basic
>>
They don't actually feel good to me since mw2 and later ones. Shooting, aiming, It's hard to put it into words, but it feels like... I don't know, cheap and like a not very well fitting plastic toy? Like it's a phone game with better quality assets or something
Battlefield games would be like opposite of that.
Rising storm 2 is very rough in that regard, has a low budget and is made without much quality but I don't get that feeling there, neither in CS GO.
>>
>>381338153
That's exactly what it was then. As a console gamer kid growing up, I would of never realized CoD has been 60fps. I haven't touched the series since Mw2. That's actually cool.
>>
>>381338491
More like 40-60 variable framerate on 360 and ps3

>>381329779
I never really liked the cod animations and moving, the sprinting animation looks the same in every game so I got sick of it and everything else feels like it's too fast/cheap with no weight to it.

Last cod I've played is black ops 1 and even ww2 game play looks like it's using the same animations
>>
>>381330768
>t. born in 1999
>>
>>381338520
Black Ops 2 is the best COD. MW2 is way too casual and gets boring fast.
>>
>>381339503
Anyone remember when BF3 came out and you had that special movement to get over obstacles? Felt refreshing back then compared to COD static movement animation.
>>
>>381332650
>WaW was great.
no it wasn't. bad balance and bad gun sounds. boring setting with commies and japs. fuck thatshit
>>
>>381339841
89 actually good try
>>
>>381336758
>playing homod

lol
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.