[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's the shittiest GTA protagonist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 22

File: luis.jpg (26KB, 416x486px) Image search: [Google]
luis.jpg
26KB, 416x486px
Who's the shittiest GTA protagonist?
>>
franklin
>>
Claude, obviously.
>>
File: v_franklin4.jpg (1MB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
v_franklin4.jpg
1MB, 2880x1800px
>>381314479
2nd this.

I have no idea why he was so boring and didn't have gang wars or tagging. Rockstar fucked up.
>>
>>381314503
This.
>>
not Luis that's for sure
>>
>>381314479
>>381314617
This.
His inclusion was purely marketing and SA nostalgia. He had the least amount of shit to do in game and next to nothing to do with the story.

All the charm he had going for him was his interactions with Lamar and his aunt, who largely disappear after a certain point. For his aunt, she's gone immediately after moving.
>>
File: .....jpg (58KB, 692x546px) Image search: [Google]
.....jpg
58KB, 692x546px
>>381314503
>He's just standing there MENACINGLY
>>
>>381314389
Claude was the worst. It's funny that they went from quiet character to one of the best ever. How much help do the Hausers have with the stories of these games.
>>
>>381314617
Cause Franklin felt he was above the gang life. He was a spoiled gangster that didn't want to put in his time.
>>
>>381314503
>>381314691
Absolute plebeians
>>
Id say Johnny the Jew. If it wasn't for the rest of the gang that DLC would have been a drag.
>>
GTA 4 had some the best characters
>>
Not that guy
>>
>>381314389
trevor, franklin and michael
>>
>>381315470
ding, ding, ding
>>
>>381315470
/thread

they and everyone else and the whole damn story is garbage
>>
>>381314479
Should have been Lamar. Can you imagine how much better that would have been?
>>
>>381315191
thats why he will forever live in the giant shadow of CJ the best or second best gta protag.
>>
1- Tommy
2- CJ
3- Niko
4- Luis Lopez
5- Claude
9001- Johnny Klebitz
9002- Michael
9003- Trevor
90000000000001- Franklin
>>
opening fight w/ luis when he kick the gun and knocks the cunt out is badass, rest of tbogt is shit.
>>
>>381316225
You could not be more wrong, sweetie.
>>
>>381314479
I honestly found him interesting.

Franklin is interesting because he’s a bit of a subversion. The normal trope for a black guy from the hood is that he wants to get out of it, and go completely straight, no crime whatsoever. Franklin's a subversion of this; he still wants to leave the hood behind, but not crime in general, just progress to higher-level crime. He has a few other aspects to his personality as well.

He's ambitious, which works as both a good aspect of his character and a character flaw: the good aspect is that he's a very action-oriented person; he's not the type to sit around and ask for handouts, he will work for what he wants and he will do whatever he has to do to get the job done because he wants to die having accomplished something. You can see this through the diverse roles he is given in the heists and the stunts he pulls in some of the missions, such as in the truck driving one where he climbs into the JB 700 while the truck is going full speed away from the cops. His ambition, combined with his naivete, has worked against him too; he's as foolhardy as Lamar in choosing who to work with, and his inexperience has led him to be taken advantage of multiple times. Yet his ambition still claws away at him, so he works and works anyway in the increasingly vain hope that he'll be compensated, whether it be through a payday or a true friend.

He's pragmatic and rational, and this is shown by him always taking the role of the straight man in the comedic moments of the storyline, whether it be in contrast to Michael, Trevor, Lamar, Tanisha, Tanya, and any of his other friends and the neutral party/middleman in the serious moments. When Lamar gets into trouble or does something stupid, when Michael and Trevor's bad blood interferes with the job, or when Stretch lets his aggression control him, Franklin is always the one who has to pick up the slack and control the situation, and he usually does so effectively.

Cont. 1
>>
File: BoxartFranklinGTAV.png (2MB, 1113x1280px) Image search: [Google]
BoxartFranklinGTAV.png
2MB, 1113x1280px
>>381314479
>>381316508
His pragmatism allows him to do those jobs effectively, and that is why he's so valued by Michael, Trevor, and Lamar; he's always someone to rely on. For Michael, Franklin is the only static crew member on Michael's heist crew (granted, I know that it's mostly because he's a playable character) but my point stands because canonically, Franklin has never failed a role Michael has put him in; only the other heist crew members can fail. Coupled with the fact that Franklin has never failed Michael when asked to aid Michael with family matters, and the fact that he was able to convince Trevor to reveal Michael was kidnapped and subsequently track down and save Michael by himself, he gains Michael's trust. He does almost the same thing for Trevor and the O'Neill's and that's partly why he has Trevor's trust. He saves Lamar multiple times using quick-thinking, and that's why they're a duo. His pragmatism and stoicism came off as "boring" to a lot of people, but I like it because his pragmatism gives him a reason to be in the story, and it gives him purpose. One of the reasons Franklin might hate Stretch is because Stretch never grew up much like Lamar, but he has none of Lamar's good qualities. Franklin might want to be pragmatic because it allows him to escape his problems through stoicism; he doesn't want to end up like Stretch, who sells out his fellow gang members over a grudge.

Cont. 2
>>
>>381314389
You just posted the answer to your question
>>
>>381316508
>>381316585
cool story bro
>>
File: DAMAGED.jpg (102KB, 736x1108px) Image search: [Google]
DAMAGED.jpg
102KB, 736x1108px
>>381314389
>>
File: 24781642751857776.jpg (47KB, 497x640px) Image search: [Google]
24781642751857776.jpg
47KB, 497x640px
>>381316585
He was indeed gullible and naive, but what do you expect? Franklin, a former gangbanger and repo man who was previously imprisoned, and therefore only has experience with low-level crime, now has to deal with the struggle of helping to conduct operations of higher level crime by keeping the operation together, while dealing with the social manipulation of government agents and seasoned criminals, and keep his relationships somewhat stable at the same time. It's a lot to juggle, and quick and brash decisions need to be made due to the unpredictability of his friends. His only experience before the heists was a small robbery that failed due to dye packs, he never had a chance to learn otherwise, and now he has to deal with the likes of Steve Haines and Devin Weston, who run large operations and have connections, and are experienced in manipulating small time criminals. Franklin shows that he can figure out when something is shady, such as in The Long Stretch when Lamar sets up a deal with the Ballas and Franklin knows that something will go wrong; he gets involved with both Haines and Weston: Haines because of Michael's involvement with Dave Norton and Weston because of Michael handing him over to Weston in order to meet the director he admires so much. It's all a consequence of his ambition.

Cont. 3
>>
File: FranklinandGSF.GTAV.jpg (169KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
FranklinandGSF.GTAV.jpg
169KB, 1280x720px
>>381316653
Another thing of note is that his character development is fairly stagnant besides him gaining experience in the ways of higher level crime. I actually don't think it's a bad thing because I feel that he was never meant to be THE main character or the focus of the story in the first place. Franklin's the outsider, in terms of his race, upbringing, experience, and in his status as the designated middleman. The neutral party. GTA 5's story is mainly about the bad blood between Michael and Trevor, and it's an attempt to tackle the dilemma of the relative importance of family vs. friends, albeit in a distinctly GTA fashion, and this is done through Michael's and Trevor's worldviews, which clash and they change as a result. They're volatile characters, and Franklin is not. Steve Haines and Devin Weston know this, he's the outsider, the observer, and that's why he's given the final choice. A static character is predictable, and that's why they don't have to worry about Franklin. He's static to Haines because he doesn't deviate from his assigned job, and he's static to Michael and Trevor because of the image he gave both of them: that he's unequivocally loyal. Since that is the case, they would not have any reason to suspect his betrayal, and Haines knows this too, that's why he asks Franklin to kill Trevor because Trevor knows Michael's character might shift again, so he will not let Michael "get close to him," while he thinks Franklin's static personality makes him a reliable friend, so Franklin is the only one who can get close to him.

Cont. 4
>>
File: Franklin_dialogue_1.png (666KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Franklin_dialogue_1.png
666KB, 1440x900px
>>381316718
Franklin seems to suffer from depression and suicidal tendencies, things he’s carried with him ever since the death of his mom. We can see those suicidal tendencies in the stuff he does during the missions to get the job done, his combat dialogue where he shouts out to his enemies to shoot him and that he wishes they would "book" him and get it over with, and in the weed smoking activity, where you apparently see that he blames himself for his mom's death to cocaine, and his aunt harassing him about it constantly doesn't help matters. His broken relationships in general have probably done a number on his self-esteem, and this doesn't change after the storyline's over; he's almost always alone in his "castle" in Vinewood Hills, so to speak. His ending is a lot different from CJ's that's for sure, which is interesting because they both essentially proved the same thing at the end of the story, their loyalty, yet Franklin comes out a lot worse, it's like another subversion Franklin shows, he defies the "hood loyalty=happiness for life" trope.
>>
File: 1484276828290.jpg (78KB, 643x820px) Image search: [Google]
1484276828290.jpg
78KB, 643x820px
>>381316508
>>381316585
>>381316653
>>381316718
>>381316770
tl;dr
>>
File: Franklin_dialogue_2.png (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Franklin_dialogue_2.png
1MB, 1440x900px
>>381316770
Franklin’s depression doesn’t seem like it’ll be cured, considering he was actually better than most of his “homies." Lamar is loyal but a dumbass who almost gets them both killed routinely, and only took the repo job because of Franklin, Denise is a supposed independent woman but has to share her rent with Franklin, kicks him out, and will take any handout she can get, as shown when she gleefully takes money from Trevor, and wants him to continue his gangbanging lifestyle to his detriment, Tanisha is supposedly a good woman yet ditches Franklin to go off with a doctor, and then proceeds to rag on Franklin for not being loyal to Lamar, Stretch is a volatile person stuck in the past who repeatedly tries to have both Franklin and Lamar killed, and Tanya and her boyfriend are both crackheads who offload their work to Franklin as soon as opportunity arises. Franklin was the only one in his hood who wanted to make something of himself on his own terms by his own plans, he succeeded, and was subsequently criticized by his homies for reaping the benefits of his success. I don't know about you, but if I was Franklin, I would want to stay away from his homies too, yet he never completely does; he's always there to save Lamar when he needs help even though he knows Lamar is a bad influence, and that's loyalty.

Still, I think he had a lot more potential; I really wish his depression was expanded upon, especially since this is something he has in common with Trevor, and exploring this could have led to a more substantial relationship between the two.
>>
>>381316508
>>381316585
>>381316653
>>381316718
>>381316770

Or he's just a generic black gang character.
>>
I want to fuck Luis
>>
>>381316303
what part of that r u talking bout
>>
>>381316923
I enjoyed the analysis. It's rare when people actually expound on why they like/dislike certain characters.
>>
I think that Franklin's story seems so weak because of how well written was michael and Trevor thing
>>
>>381314389
all of them
>>
>>381317105
I don't think so, personally, based on everything I just said. I thought CJ was a lot more generic; his character and motivations were basically taken from the time period hood flicks and hip-hop tropes talked about by groups such as Compton's Most Wanted at the time. There aren't many black characters, especially in video games, who are members of the post-crack epidemic, post-gangbanging Compton generation, and that's another reason I found Franklin interesting. You hear about '80's and '90's Compton in the media, you don't hear about 2013 Compton.

>>381314389
As for OP's question, I found Toni to be the most boring protagonist.
>>
>>381317350
That's true but michael and Trevors story isn't well written. It's just marginally better than the lack of story that franklin had. All in all, the story in v was shots
>>
>>381317261
Thanks. I think it's a shame he's so disliked because I think his character is there, you just have to look for it and think about what's happening for a bit, for example, by smoking weed, and I found that really fun. But he definitely didn't reach his full potential; there just weren't enough missions. ~70 for 3 characters is just too little.
>>
>>381317765
i think that they didn't want to make another super long game (i'm looking at you red dead redemption) it's just not fun when story takes for ever to end
>>
>>381317919
Or we could just blame GTA Online. There was so much more of the map that could have been used in a bunch of creative missions in the single player, but they just didn't do it. GTA V's map has around 1,100 locations analogous to real life; they could have done a lot more than they did.
>>
>>381318047
ah gta online
because of it there will never be dlc expansion for gta v that would add some story
>>
>>381316225
What about ballad is bad? It was perfect. They even made a gay dude nobody ever gave a shit about online.
>>
>>381318425
What pissed me off about Online was that if you played on last gen, whatever new content was added to the game through the Online DLCs was normally given to you for free in the single player, except the one DLC that had the cool stuff, the military equipment (Savage, Hydra, etc.). So you were basically forced to play Online just to get a chance to use them, and for what? You grind for hours to get the millions of dollars you need to buy those vehicles, only to use them to help you grind some more.
>>381318432
The base game IV also had a well-written gay character, but I don't remember if people got pissed off over him.
>>
Best to worst in my shit opinion:
>Tommy
>Trevor
>Niko
>Claude
>Franklin
>CJ
>Johnny
>Michael
>Luis
>>
I have 3 friends that Play GTA V almost every day
I am the only one who has actually completed the first of the main story they have literally only ever played online from the first moment the game let them go to it
>>
>>381314479
Because he was the player-insert character, but made pointless by the other two protagonists who had more depth to them.
>>
>>381318432
might just have been awhile since i played it but i reckon it just wasn't that memorable

last mission is epic though
>>
>>381320872
Damn, I'd kill myself
>>
>>381318839
florian was the most annoying kind of gay, tony was a fucking legend
>>
>>381323159
I found him pretty funny, also I loved the role he served in the story in regards to Niko's character development and the way it was written.
>>
Huang Lee
>>
>>381321836
It's been a while. That whole DLC was fun. The ending with Yusef coming in was golden. Then you chase down a god damn plane. It was so well put together,
>>
Trevor was the fucking worst.
>>
>>381320763
>Trevor higher than CJ
kore wa baito desu
>>
Nico, the most boring piece of shit ever. I'd rather play as Roman desu
>>
>>381316508
>>381316585
>>381316653
>>381316718
>>381316770
Yea, but he doesn't have funny one-liners like
>yeye ass haircut
>da baby dick
>you hate me because I'm beautiful
But seriously; fuck Lamar. He's an incompetent shithead that fucks every mission he is part of. His only saving grace is that he blurts out some funny lines once in a while.
>>
>>381324280
>that ending with the hobo
The whole diamonds' arc was really well made. It's a shame that GTAV's singleplayer ended up becoming such a mess of shit with way too many things only spoken about but never really shown. Then, it just wraps everything up in a lukewarm final mission that's no different from every single other mission that came before it.
>>
File: fat cj.jpg (49KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
fat cj.jpg
49KB, 800x600px
>>381314389
CJ/Tommy were the best, as for the worst? For me it's Trevor. He was like a Saint's Row character that hopped to a wrong game.
>>
>>381316923
>>381316770
>>381316718
>>381316653
>>381316585
>>381316508
Good take on his character and I agree with it mostly, only that I feel he's way too similar to CJ but with a lot less development presented to the player. He develops more-or-less similarly as CJ but most of it is off-screen since he needs to share his spotlight with another 2 main characters.
>>
>>381325185
I honestly didn't find Tommy interesting; though I feel that him, Claude and Trevor suit the role of a player avatar the best, I didn't find him to be much of a character on his own.
>>
(OP) (You)
>>
Trevor.
>>
File: wJzFHMT.gif (964KB, 335x190px) Image search: [Google]
wJzFHMT.gif
964KB, 335x190px
>>381320763
>Trevor Higher than Claude
>Franklin Higher than CJ
>Niko NOT on the bottom of list
>>
Trevor is the cringiest video game character I've ever played as
>>
>>381314617
Bet Rockstar was gonna include gang wars but Take 2 told them to cut down on single player content
>>
>>381314389
Micheal and the biker faggot.
>>
>>381325313
I always differentiate them based on how exactly they wanted to get out of the hood, their general demeanor, and on the fact that Franklin is a bit mentally unstable while CJ is pretty much normal. Though I agree that the little nuances of Franklin's character should have been expanded upon, since you have to do pretty much everything in the game and pay careful attention during gameplay to even know they're there.
>>
Gta V protags are definantly the weakest out of all the games
I guess thats bound to happen when you have three of them in a relatively short single player and shifting the focus to the online
>>
>>381314759
I was gonna say this
>>
>>381316923
>>381316770
>>381316718
>>381316653
>>381316585
>>381316508

This.

Really GTA V's protagonists in general were pretty well-written if you ask me. If you're ranking fucking Claude of all people above these guys you're more than likely just being a nostalgiafag, even if you don't think you're being one.
>>
>>381314389
Niko>Tommy>Claude>Luis>Trevor>CJ>Johnny>Michael>Franklin
>>
The only reason you faggots hate Trevor so much is because he reminds you of yourselves.
>>
>>381326052
Gang wars wouldn't have made sense for the time period though, since by 2013, the age of gangbanging was pretty much over in those areas in real life (last I checked the Crips and the Bloods have declared a ceasefire/signed a peace treaty), and Hispanics are the prominent ethnicity in Compton now. It's a lot more peaceful now than it was back then. And one thing we could all probably agree on is that whenever a GTA tries to emulate a time period, they go to painstaking efforts to do so. What we should have gotten is more Franklin missions and side activities in general.
>>
>>381314479
He almost seems like an afterthought. Or like they were worried about offending someone, ironically. He's so boring.

Should have been big dog Lamar, nyyyiiigga!
>>
People only rank CJ higher than Franklin because CJ came first and GTA fans have rose-tinted glasses, otherwise Franklin is by far the better character.
>>
>>381326662
Franklin does come off boring ass shit but hes a step up from micheal who was so fucking annoying and has the worst missions related to him
His family
>>
>>381315410
I thought it had one of the worst casts, honestly. I beat the game and barely remember any of it, aside from cars controlling like banana peels on ice, flying through windshields, bowling cousin, the heist, and some rasta stoner saying I and I all the time.

Worst GTA imo.
>>
>>381316840
Beat me to it.
>>
>>381325720
Patrician tastes detected.
>>
>>381325883

That's the point? He's supposed to be an unhinged edgelord.
>>
>Rockstar creates a down-to-earth character
>Franklin's too boring!
>Rockstar creates an additional character but makes him cartoonish and typical for the series
>Trevor's too crazy!

What the fuck do you want, /v/?
>>
>>381326852
I actually thought that stuff was funny as hell. But different strokes for different folks.
>>
>>381314389
Michel Whiny Motherfucker de Santa
>>
>>381326875
It is the worst

Unfortunately its babbies fuwst GTA for a lot of kids
>>
>switch to Trevor
>he's drunk and wearing a dress
Haha so funny
>>
>>381326875
I really like how there were tons of little details and stylistic discretion in terms of how the dialogue was written and how it was acted, and how dialogue between the early and end game missions were connected in a subtle manner.
>>
>>381326875
>>381327365
What are you reddit faggots doing in my videogame board?
>>
My list.
>Tommy
>CJ
>Michael
>Louis
>Niko
>Johnny
>Trevor
>Franklin
Not sure why people dislike Michael so much.
>>
>Trevor
>Bad

Why do you dislike it when a crazed, manic, violent psychotic acts like a crazed, manic, violent psychotic?

Trevor is meant to be a caricature of the typical GTA player who runs around blasting people and generally fucking around.
>>
>>381327991
Should I like a shitty unlikeable character because he's portrayed accurately?
>>
>>381327991
Too zany and lol so randumb
>>
>>381327991
I remember a couple of things he said actually being funny but otherwise he was just trying too hard and annoying.
>>
>>381328057
Well no, but just because a character is unlikeable doesn't mean he's a bad character. It's a simple case of not mixing up an opinion with an attempt at objective criticism, which "X is a bad character" is. If Trevor is portrayed accurately, then does that not offer up a case for him being a good character?
>>
>>381328057
I'm talking more towards the people who criticize Trevor's behavior like this guy >>381328264

If you don't like Trevor because he's a crazed, manic, violent psychotic, then fine good for you. But don't go expecting him to act differently.
>>
>>381327474
Awww is babby mad someone hurwt his feewings by criticisizng his favorat GTA gaem?
>>
>>381328320
One of the big points of Trevor's character is that he actually tries around Michael, but he always fucks it up since he has no people skills.
>>
>>381328447
Go buy some sharkcards fag, don't reply to me
>>
File: d_I0t_Ir6.png (941KB, 1280x714px) Image search: [Google]
d_I0t_Ir6.png
941KB, 1280x714px
>>381328402
We get it

No one understands what a unique snowflake you are
>>
>>381328524
Aww mommy wont buy you a bunker in the funrunning update?

Poor widdle babby
>>
>>381316923
Fair point.

What can you tell me about Michael?
>>
>>381328463
Yea i know he tries around michael he always tries to help his family and shit.
>>
>>381328551
>Implying the strawman defense is going to work in 2017.
>>
>>381328680
>he thinks I'd ever touch Gta 5
Lol
>>
>>381328768
No I think you cant AFFORD GTA 5

Big difference babby
>>
>>381329138
gta online's multiplayer is not trash only if you are playing on a modded account and fuck people up desu
every grinding method is boring and/or ineffective af
>>
>God tier
Niko
Tommy

>Great tier
Michael
CJ

>Ok tier
Luis
Franklin

>Shit tier
Johnny
Trevor

>Mute snake tier
Claude
>>
>>381328719
Eh, I haven't actually done one of these for Michael yet, though I will tell you that I agree with the general consensus that Michael is more fleshed out than Franklin, enough so that I would need to replay the whole game from 0% to get everything. As I said before, GTA V is a game where you have to play absolutely everything to get the whole story behind these characters; this includes the main missions, side activities, Strangers missions, hangouts with all possible friends at multiple points in the story, both sober and drunken, as well as both combat and idle dialogue. And Michael has the Dr. Friedlander meetings, which play a massive role in fleshing him and his development out.

In fact, that Franklin analysis is incomplete; I did not observe how his combat dialogue changed as the game went on past the initial hood missions, and I only took into account endgame hangouts when writing it. I only wanted to show that there was quite a bit more to Franklin than at first glance, if you just stopped and thought about things for a bit. Something to note about those endgame hangouts with the three protags though, as additional support to what I just said about GTA V in general, is that you have to play them to know about Michael and Trevor actually trying to resolve their issues and their pasts, and how Franklin plays a role in this.
>>
>>381325313
The problem with GTA5 in general is how underdeveloped all three characters were, the only reason to take the cop out ending is to have the three characters to do shit because while Franklin and Michael do have reasons to continue living, Trervor is a literal blight on each of them and on humanity, I wonder how long until he does something stupid that kills the three of them
>>
>>381316652
"Michael, why did you abandon me!?"
*injects speed*
"I AM THE PARAGON OF MORALITY!"

I was excited at first to play Trevor, but he is just a bipolar shithead.
>>
>>381330426
Agreed. Way too much backstory that is only hinted upon and the plot doesn't go anywhere with any of it. Michael was the only one that had any substantial development at all while Franklin and Trevor stays pretty much the same, the only difference is that Frank ends up richer and having a better quality of life than he started with. I feel that they did the same with Niko, Johnny, Luis and even John in their more recent games but at least those characters had enough spotlight individually to be able to expand on their backstory. Having three protagonists in a single game that lasted about the same time as all those previous games did. There just wasn't enough screen time to accommodate three protags. I hope to God they don't fuck up RDR2 with seven fucking protags.
>>
>>381329990
>>>381328719
>As I said before, GTA V is a game where you have to play absolutely everything to get the whole story behind these characters; this includes the main missions, side activities, Strangers missions, hangouts with all possible friends at multiple points in the story, both sober and drunken, as well as both combat and idle dialogue.
I forgot to add that this design choice is the main reason why everyone thought the three protagonists were so underdeveloped. The main missions only give you part of the story, not everything. The older GTAs were different; whatever characterization took place in the main story is basically the complete characterization of their characters. GTA IV and V are different. I think this approach is interesting, as it more accurately reflects how people find out about each other and themselves in real life, but I also feel that this approach is more conducive to literature than to a video game. After all, if you have no interest in the extra content, then you won't play it. And if you don't play it, then you don't get the whole story. In literature, you're forcibly exposed to everything the author wants you to know whether you like it or not. In a video game, you have a choice.
>>
>>381314389
never really cared for the black cuck in GTAV
zero (0) backbone
can't even remember his name
>>
>>381331070
I think it wouldn't be a problem if they still had substantial character development presented in the main missions and have a lot of extra development in the extra content. The problem isn't in the design, it's in the execution. GTAV didn't have enough shit shown in the main missions and main side content for people to really appreciate the characters. The hangouts were also fine in design but had terrible execution when they decided that having a handful of bars, sports and 2 movies were enough to entice players to take part in it. There was only a small amount of shit you could do when hanging out with the friends.
>>
>>381331663
>Franklin could never hang out with both Jimmy and Lamar
>>
>>381331020
>Franklin and Trevor stays pretty much the same, the only difference is that Frank ends up richer and having a better quality of life than he started with.
I agree pretty much, though what I liked is how the villain characters were able to perceive Franklin's status as a static character and exploit it for their own ends, with what I think is pretty sound logic. I personally don't think a lack of character malleability (to avoid the ambiguity in the use of the word "development") means that the character is bad, but the real tragedy with V is that to my knowledge, a really interesting facet to both Franklin and Trevor, their shared depression and suicidal tendencies because of what they've become, weren't expanded on at all. In fact, if you go on the wiki and you read about both of them, you'll find that they agree that these traits are "very rarely shown in game."
>>381331663
Yeah, I agree; the design really could work, but more missions and more enticing side activities were badly needed, and that's what I've been saying about GTA V all along. I blame Online, all the cool stuff is there and not where it really needs to be.
>>
cj was the worst. old /v/ would agree. all he did was whine
>>
File: fffdfdf.jpg (21KB, 415x364px) Image search: [Google]
fffdfdf.jpg
21KB, 415x364px
>>381320763
>Trevor higher than anybody
>>
>>381332332
>I blame Online, all the cool stuff is there and not where it really needs to be.
You and I are two of soul. GTAO is fun and all but it really sucked everything great out of the SP and it's way too obvious this was done on purpose. The best missions are online, the best activities are online, the best vehicles, weapons, etc. are all online. I don't want to be a doomsayer or anything like that but I definitely see Rockstar doing this same shit with RDR2. I still hope the best for that game but I'm expecting the worst.

>a really interesting facet to both Franklin and Trevor, their shared depression and suicidal tendencies because of what they've become, weren't expanded on at all.
Agreed, again. I didn't even notice it on my first playthrough but after playing it again recently, I finally saw how self-destructive they both are despite being productive as fuck at the same time. Michael has the same self-destructive behavior too but it doesn't seem to be due to depression, more of a case of just being unsatisfied with his life (how his kids and wife turned out, the shit he'd done in the past and how it's all catching up to him again etc). GTAV has an interesting story to tell without the time to tell it. It reminds me a lot of BvS in a way, the theatrical release of the movie was such a shitshow due to a limited run time but the Ultimate Edition added a huge amount of scenes that expanded upon every single element of the plot. There's probably a much better example out there but BvS is the most recent thing I can think of.
>>
>>381333224
>I definitely see Rockstar doing this same shit with RDR2.
I see it too, but my hope is that, even though RDR was very critically acclaimed, Rockstar will see it's just not as popular and not as profitable as GTA, and it doesn't have the same longevity as GTA, and lighten up on the pushing of online, since there's less money to be made, with a shorter retention period to make it. It's a shame because GTA is honestly my favorite game series, and I think there's so much more to all of the games than just committing crimes and going on rampages and shooting hookers; it's not just a murder simulator, and I would hate to see the same thing to Red Dead as well.

>Michael has the same self-destructive behavior too
Exactly, and what saddens me is that if all the self-destructive tendencies of the three protagonists were greatly expanded upon, we would have not only gotten a substantial, and I think rather novel, commentary on the nature of depression and suicide and the many factors surrounding their occurrence, but we also would have gotten a more solid foundation to their endgame friendship, as they learn to deal with those tendencies and their backstories together. All of this would have enriched the societal satire GTA V was trying to portray, while also giving us the serious shade to GTA V's story that IV, and all of the older GTAs despite their comparative zanyness, possessed.
>>
>>381314819
I always thought he looked like Johnny Knoxville
>>
>>381314759
Yep, he is one of the best ones
>>
>>381334308
Oh, and I forgot to add, said commentary wouldn't be out of place, it would be perfect for GTA V. California and the Hollywood scene are infamous for having those who partake in its culture, even celebrities, get depression and even kill themselves on the regular. So in a game which satirizes modern California, addressing the depressing aspects of the fast living, posh, celebrity oriented California lifestyle would have been absolutely amazing.
>>
>>381334308
>>381334978
>California and the Hollywood scene are infamous for having those who partake in its culture, even celebrities, get depression and even kill themselves on the regular.
I felt the same way. I think this was what they were going for in the first place but things just didn't get developed enough for it to really shine through. They were also really under pressure to make the game fun enough so people will get off their backs about making GTA into a serious series (which I think they managed to do with the fun as fuck set pieces and gameplay elements in the game). Sadly, the plot had to suffer due to being stretched so thinly that it lost any impact it was going for. Such a shame, really.

A lot of people are clamoring for single player DLC too but I don't think it'll work that well, honestly. GTAV doesn't need new story elements to be introduced, it needs to refine and expand upon what's already there. Adding even more shit on top of what's already going on wouldn't remedy that problem unless they opt to have three separate DLCs for each of the main protags, with a focus on expanding their existing characteristics instead of merely introducing all-new shit to develop.
>>
>>381314503
He's the best, you ugly cunt.
>>
>>381316051
There aren't that many games in the series, idiot.
>>
>>381326626
>And one thing we could all probably agree on is that whenever a GTA tries to emulate a time period
eventually you reach a point where realism and accuracy to a time period reduce the fun of a game. For instance: There is no reason to rob a bank now-a-days. It simply isn't worth the time and effort for such a little payout. Yet if they accurately portrayed this aspect of modern life, there would be almost no game left.
>>
>>381325313
There were rumors that GTAV DLC would deal with Franklin and Carl, but aside from the VA's tweets and the little callbacks to CJ found in the game, we have no evidence to support those rumors. On the off-chance that the DLC *did* exist, well, keyword here is "did".
>>
I feel like GTASA characters were underrated. That blind triad dude and the fbi agent were ducking great!
Where you had to fly the plane and the guys said prepare to be vaporized and he said mockingly "wah wah prepare to be vaporized - what a bunch of bullshit " I LOLed
>>
>>381336525
Did U know the evil cop was played by Samuel L Motherfucking Jackson?
>>
>>381314389
Fucking Johnny was the worst, Claude follows closely. Tommy fucking Vercetti was the best, CJ follows.
>>
>>381335552
It is a shame. We could have had commentary on depression and suicide from three different perspectives, three different upbringings, three different castes of life, and two generations, Michael and Trevor's, and Franklin's. I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like storytelling potential on par with literature. That would be spectacular in a video game, and /v/ would have adored it, considering what I've read from the blogging threads on here.

Regarding single player DLC, I think it could work, depending on your definition of DLC. Full expansions like what we got for GTA IV wouldn't really work, since, as you said, the last thing we need is more potentially half-assed characterization. I think they should go the Online route, where more side activities are added for the player to do in the world for and with all three characters and their friends, with mini-plots connecting the new locations and missions, and the mundane locales for the hangouts you previously mentioned together. That way, old and new dialogue can be linked, and the player can listen to them all. Like you could have missions for Michael that involve hanging out at the movies with the other protags for some sort of purpose, so the player gets to listen to the hangout dialogue, and end the mini-plot with some sort of fun event at the alien mountain, a place never used in the original story and one which can be linked to Michael through his movies. Another could involve them and maybe Lamar having to go to a bar for some sort of espionage mission, so you not only hear the drunken dialogue, but also you would get to use the never-used Stealth stat. There's so much potential it hurts.
>>
>>381316508
>Franklin is interesting because he’s a bit of a subversion. The normal trope for a black guy from the hood is that he wants to get out of it, and go completely straight, no crime whatsoever. Franklin's a subversion of this; he still wants to leave the hood behind, but not crime in general, just progress to higher-level crime.
That's literally CJ for the whole Fierro and Venturas segments. He even got pulled back into gangbanging by his failure of a friend just like CJ got hooked back by that disgrace called Sweet.
>>
>>381314479
>>381314617
He was definitely the weakest of the three, but that's mostly because it felt like past the first act his story tapered off to give Michael and Trevor more limelight given they had so much history.

A few more missions focusing on him (and Lamar) would of gone a long way. It's not that he was really bad, just not as good as the other two which makes him seem worse than he really was,
>>
>>381314389
The only reason people don't say Toni is because they don't even know who Toni is.
>>
>>381337282
He has the least limelight in the story, but I'd argue that Marky De Santos is a weaker character.
>>
>>381337336
I said Toni, kek
>>381317539
>>
>>381329709
>God tier
>Niko
>My life is shitty because of violence
>WHAT YOU PUNCH MY COUSIN IN THE STOMACH FOR NOT PAYING HIS LEGITIMATE DEBT I'M GOING TO KILL ALL OF YOU VIOLENTLY
>p-please love me Kate

Niko is a travesty
>>
>>381337336
>>381337586
To be fair I don't even remember LCS as a whole. Really the only notable thing I remember it for was Liberty City but with Motorcycles.

I feel like LCS was just made because they wanted to see if they could make a GTA game on PSP, and it worked at that, but VCS felt like it had allot more effort but into it.
>>
>>381316508
>>381316585
>>381316653
>>381316718
>>381316770
>>381316923
epic franklin breakdown bro, you just totally bossed this whole thread. man you just really told these plebs how much of a good character franklin really is. wow dude you did a good job
>>
>>381314389
Luis, Trevor and Franklin are the shittiest, don't know which is worst
>>
>>381337746
HAH, as if niko would ever grovel over kate.
>>
All of the HD characters are better than all of the 3D characters. That's all that I'll say.
>>
>>381337746
>Loyally defends his cousin from illegal gangsters threatening to kill him
Wow, how awful
>>
>>381327991
Plus he's nuanced on top of all that insanity.
>>
>>381318839
Yeah that bullshit grind is why I stopped playing, yeah they added some neat shit and even cars I've been asking for but it all costs so much you spend no time enjoying any of it, just using it to grind missions.

Only reason I played it as long as I did is I met some cool people but overtime most of them pretty much came to the same conclusion. Fucking sucks we'll never see that single player DLC, also sad that RDR2's online is probably going to be GTA Online 2 electric boogaloo.
>>
>>381337253
San Fierro was mostly CJ trying to get his garage business off the ground with some of his friends, while setting up the Woozie and Toreno debacles, and Las Venturas was mostly CJ trying to help Woozie more and eventually also help Madd Dogg and get co-ownership of the Four Dragons casino. Both businesses were obtained through illegitimate means, but are legitimate establishments. Franklin never wanted to pursue a legitimate establishment at all; his goal from the start was to progress to white-collar crime. CJ wanted to go legit, but the circumstances behind his expulsion from Los Santos and Sweet's imprisonment forced his hand, and those snowballed into what happened in Fierro and Venturas. Sweet's return made things even harder.
>>381337915
I had fun with LCS, but in all honesty it's basically GTA III but with no planes or legitimately obtainable helicopters and motorcycles.
>>
>>381339031
Don't get me wrong I had some fun with LCS, but damn if I really have any memorable moments with it unlike every other game I've played in the franchise.
>>
>>381314389
GTA as a game is extremely overrated
>>
>>381314479
Agreed, he's just a shittier, more boring Luis
>>
all of gta v protagonists.
micheal: literally a cuck, can't kill or divorce his whore wife or kill any of her lovers
franklin: literally who nigga
trevor: look at me i am so edgy
>>
the faggot from san andreas
then the nigger from gtaV
like i remember shit characters
>dont remember gta1-2 at all . not even a single mission
>>
>>381339381
There are a few things I remember; I remember being betrayed by the guy who took you in because he was jealous of you, the katana fight between Toni and some other guy, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre homage, the firetruck rampage side mission, the last mission where you kill the leader of the Sicilian mob at the lighthouse, and the incredibly convoluted way to steal a helicopter and keep it. Also, the Leone Sentinel was awesome, but that's in III as well. But I can't really make the characters sound interesting at all; Toni is what I think a non-entity of a character is, and that's why I think he's the worst. It doesn't help that he's a laughing stock in III.
>>
>>381339031
>Franklin never wanted to pursue a legitimate establishment at all
To be fair, he did try to go straight with the car repo shit in the beginning. They didn't make it very clear that he saw it as a dead end and embraced being a criminal again since he gives Lamar so much shit about being a criminal.
>>
>>381339625
>micheal: literally a cuck
>bangs strippers and pros
right
>>
>>381339975
I feel like being a repo man is still on the shady side of the law; it's not completely straight, since you are still stealing people's property and sometimes breaking into their houses to do so. It doesn't help that the man Franklin works for is a certified crook and con artist, and Franklin is his favored accesory to his extortionism.
>>
>>381340314
True, but Frank was trying at the least. He even said something about how it's honest work and would result in the two of them moving up in the world, which at least lets us know that he had intentions of going straight.
>>
>>381339963
>Leone Sentiel was awesome
Fuck yeah it was. Sucks that they pretty much dropped the Sentiel XS classic look, or the fact that you can't get an Oracle to look like the old Mafia Sentinel either.
>>
I don't remember a single thing about Lee other that he had crabs once and he wanted to fuck a girl that got killed three missions into the game.
>>
File: 1496684156715.png (249KB, 368x425px) Image search: [Google]
1496684156715.png
249KB, 368x425px
>>381316508
>>381316585
>>381316653
>>381316718
>>381316770
>>381316923
>t. english major who can't get a job
You're reading way into this game, nigger. Franklin is a boring contrarian piece of shit. He doesn't want to be a thug but he's happy to be a professional criminal - a glorified thug - just because it's not a "black" thing to do. Franklin's a boring house-nigger.
>>
>>381340637
I see your point, but I want to know what exactly Franklin meant by moving up in the world. I took it to mean moving out of the hood and going for higher level crime because if we're being honest, what kind of legitimate job prospects would experience as a repo man get you or help you attain? Honestly I don't think "stealing back people's cars for my conman of a boss" would look very good on a CV, but since it's GTA, I can't really say.
>>
>>381341146
Nobody complains when people do this kind of thing for a Japanese game or an RPG, so why can't I do it for a Western one? I find it fun. Also, I was a biochem major.
>>
>>381314389
niko followed by all of the gtav ones
>>
>>381341295
I always took it as going straight since he also talks about putting out resumes when he's sending Jimmy back home after the boat incident. I see Frank as someone who's tried to do things legitimately but, due to his past mistakes having a permanent stain on his records, he's just unable to do so anymore. This is why he ends up embracing the fact that being a crook is something he's good at and is pretty much the only thing available to him anymore.
>>
>>381341603
So I guess he's sort of like Niko in that regard. I still think he's different than CJ though, since he was never able to escape his life of crime and accepted that fact while making the best of it, while CJ was actually able to escape, before being called back to Los Santos by Sweet, and all his crime was for the eventual purpose of stopping at some point and going straight again.
>>
>>381342137
I definitely agree with you there. CJ was equally as good at being a crook as Frank was but he wanted and managed to escape the criminal life when he was on his own. Funnily enough, while Frank's loyalty was what resulted in him getting what he wanted (moving up to higher end crime and making dosh), CJ's loyalty to Sweet and GSF ultimately pulled him back into the life he tried desperately to escape from. That said, there's no post-game content in SA for us to really know whether or not CJ continued being a gangbanger afterwards so maybe he killed off Tenpenny and went full legit.
>>
File: 1488375356546.jpg (84KB, 441x441px) Image search: [Google]
1488375356546.jpg
84KB, 441x441px
Why was the melee combat so much better in previous GTA games, bros? In V you can't do shit, you can't do cool combos anymore, you can't steal weapons, and it feels like everything dies in 1 fucking hit. What went so wrong?
>>
>>381327365
>>381326875
This t b h
>>
>>381342601
because the physics engine is much simpler
and the AI is stupid as fuck
>>
>>381314503
>>381314691

You colossal fucking faggots.
I fart in your general direction.
>>
>>381314389
The three new ones in GTAV. They didn't even feel like real people, honestly.
>>
>>381314389

Funny how he's the only representation my country has in vidya.

Dominicans have a lot to offer to vidya.
>>
>>381342579
>Funnily enough, while Frank's loyalty was what resulted in him getting what he wanted (moving up to higher end crime and making dosh), CJ's loyalty to Sweet and GSF ultimately pulled him back into the life he tried desperately to escape from.
Great interpretation. I think if the gang turf wars are canon (at least some of them are), then CJ was ultimately able to consolidate the neighborhoods under the GSF and obtain peace that way. Also, he's still a legitimate businessman as far as we know.
>>
This thread has taught me that daytime summer /v/ has the most disgusting and plebian taste on the face of the internet.

I mean god damn, fellas.
>>
>>381342601
V's melee system is a lot simpler, but I still have fun fighting people in first person and seeing their livid faces glare at you as they try to kill you while yelling profanities at the same time.
>>
File: image.png (17KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
17KB, 128x128px
>>381320763
>leaving out claude speed
>leaving out the true GOAT Rodney Morash
Shit list, m8.
>>
>>381343412
Do you know if R* is still giving out GTA I and II for free? Last time I checked, they aren't. Also, it's weird those games weren't ported to mobile, they seem perfect for it.
>>
>>381342752
But even in VCS you could grab and throw people around, or snap someone's neck from behind, and that game came out 11 years ago, so why they removed all that? Was it too videogamey?
>>
>>381324832
The 3 protags thing would have worked better in V if they'd played it more like IV, with less interaction between characters and more like 3 interconnected stories that eventually would come together in a bigger way, but took long enough so that each character had room to breathe and develop
>>
>>381314479
I liked Franklin. He was a good straight man to Michael and Trevor. Also he has the best skill (driving)
>>
>>381339992
micheal is a cuck anon, it doesn't matter who banged.
>>
>>381343664
No, the service has been down for years now.
>>
File: 1472845929137.jpg (15KB, 480x243px) Image search: [Google]
1472845929137.jpg
15KB, 480x243px
>>381344359
God damn it, that sticks
>>
>>381344573
*sucks
>>
File: Johnnydeadenhanced.jpg (528KB, 1598x942px) Image search: [Google]
Johnnydeadenhanced.jpg
528KB, 1598x942px
>>381314389
Johnny, cause he's dead.
>>
>>381344768
Wouldn't Vic Vance tie him in that case, since he's also dead? He might be worse off actually; he wasn't killed by another protagonist like Johnny was
>>
>>381314389
Trevor. His entire character is:
>Lol so randumb
>Incredibly edgy violent sociopath
No redeeming qualities at all.

>>381314479
I disagree. He was "normal" by Rockstar standards. That is pretty significant in a GTA game especially when Trevor and Micheal are extremes.

He is a breath of fresh air in the noxious fumes of stupidity that is Trevor.
>>
File: 1497292423165.jpg (42KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1497292423165.jpg
42KB, 344x344px
>>381329709
a man of good taste

>>381337746
Niko actually has the most depth than any other GTA character. He's a dude that tries to escape his problems and violence, only to discover that he is the only cause of his shitty life.
Just like any anon. Anon knows that his life is shit and tries to escape trough some hobby, like anime or video games, but anon can't realize that his life is shit because he doesn't want to change it, or is afraid to try and only get a delusion.
Niko gets the easiest path, and everytime he tries to get out he gets sucked back in
>>
>>381344257
being cheated on =/= cucking
he's not even a beta faggot, he just fucks strippers, in my book that means being even with his wife
>>
>>381345361
He was the one who started cheating on Amanda first though. If anything, she's the one getting even with him and he knows it. I mean, just look at how he reacted when he saw the tennis rackets on his porch. "Not in my house!". He's 'alright' with her sleeping around as long as it wasn't in his house. He's not a meme cuck that /v/ likes to fling around, he's a legitimate cuckold but it's not a fetish thing, he was just guilt tripped into it by his own mistakes in the past and having a shitty wife/family.
>>
>>381316923
>>381316508
>>381316585
>>381316653
>>381316718
>>381316770
Now this is THE copy pasta to post in every GTA thread.
>>
>>381346586
I find that posting character analyses in these threads helps them become more than just X>Y>Z for 200 posts and fosters more discussion, which is pretty nice
>>
>>381316508
>>381316585
>>381316653
>>381316718
>>381316770
>>381316923
Ignore these >>381316613 >>381316840 >>381317105 >>381338012 >>381341146
fucking retards, anon. That was an interesting analysis.
>>
>>381337915
You're not really missing anything. Basically Toni spends most of the game acting as a dumb muscle to Salvatore at the height of his paranoia and when the Leone Family starts to lose their hold on LC. Certain missions demonstrate that he can straight up murder people if he wanted, but he's too much of a tool to tell his Ma and Salvatore off for being ungrateful.
>>
>>381344927
Vic Vance was a great character. I actually liked how he went from clean cut solider to crime lord over the course of the game because of the bad decisions made by Louise, Lance, and Martinez.
>>
>>381343412
>best protag
>best song
>>
>>381346586
someone screencap 'em
>>381348025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEzGV9AdkSU
forgot to post
>>
>>381326875
Although there was a lot of stinkers in the cast of IV nothing tops V in terms of how bad the cast is, particularly the villains.

The end mission and everything coming towards it hypes up the multiple targets

I don't even know why killing stretch was relevant to their goal
>>
>>381348494
It wasn't. He was just another loose end, an extra to the main villains.
>Well, who's the uh... the guy who set up Lamar? Hmm?
>Stretch? We wanna throw him in?
>Yeah, Trevor will throw anyone in just to satisfy his bloodlust.
>Whoa! Hey! It's called a fuckin' loose end, alright? Now if we're gonna be men of peace and tranquility we tie up loose ends.
>>
>>381348494
Stretch was killed to prevent him from manipulating Lamar into getting killed. It's highly implied that he setup Lamar up to fail when he and Franklin did that drug deal on Grove Street, and the one in Paleto Cove.
>>
>>381348879
They don't even bother letting Franklin do it, excuses aside it would be more interesting than what we got
>>
>>381349082
And he gives hints that he was in cahoots with the Ballas as early as The Long Stretch, like
>Shit, you gon' get yours.
in the intro cutscene, the way he interacted so casually with D, who of course is the Balla Lamar kidnapped, and this interaction during their escape, after Lamar takes point and is almost killed
>Next time, you goin' first though, fool
Franklin says
>Shit nigga, then we all be dead
and Stretch retorts with
>Not me, nigga.
>>
Best:
Niko

Worst:
Trevor
>>
Trevor
>>
A tie between Trevor and Franklin.
>>
File: 1465474826769.jpg (49KB, 790x445px) Image search: [Google]
1465474826769.jpg
49KB, 790x445px
>>381314389
>There are people itt who think Claude is worst
WHATTTDAAAHHFUCKKKKKK
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.