[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Batman Arkham Trilogy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 269
Thread images: 41

File: maxresdefault.jpg (178KB, 1600x1010px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
178KB, 1600x1010px
So what's the /v/erdict? We can agree that Rocksteady produced some of the best action adventure games right?
>>
The first two are the best superhero games period
>>
File: 1433322937958.png (13KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
1433322937958.png
13KB, 426x364px
Asylum and City are god tier.
>>
gameplay wise, taking out the story... how is AK not better than AA and AC?
>>
>>381282769
some of being the key word, but yes. knight feels llike one of those games i would have loved if i got it as a gift from a relative when i was like 11. after playing the whole franchise since launch in 2008 i saw it decline in quality and cant tolerate knight. i can even feel the drop in difficulty between asylum and city.
i knew from the moment i played asylum when they put the batmobile in one of the games it would be a disaster. i dont like being vindicated.
>>
>>381282769
>>381283273
>>381283350

Agreed. I still like the others because I enjoyed the first two so much, but Origins was just more City, and Knight was too much Batmobile and not enough Batman and boss fights.

I've bought each one at least twice. PC / PS3 or 4.
>>
I actually 120% completed Arkham Knight just yesterday.
Honestly one of my favourite videogame series.
City is the best one.
>>
Knight was bad for numerous reasons.

City was decent but the open world element was a giant waste.

Aslyum is untouchable.
>>
Asylum and City are great.
Origins is meh.
Knight is awful.
Handheld games are shit.
Give me Beyond Arkham with McGinnis.
>>
Knight was way too much Batmobile and not enough atmosphere in general.

And don't get me fucking started on the Riddler.

6/10 game, good for fucking around it but not much else.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (162KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
162KB, 1920x1080px
TELL ME YOUR ARKHAM CRED

i 100% asylum on ps3, then 360. then city on 360. i 100% both on pc and almost 100% of origins. i was done with knight after like 3 hours, so i only beat the story up to the point where it makes you get all the side stuff to progress. i looked up the true end online and refunded it on steam

asylum is definitely the hardest because i swear goons can hear you grappling between vantage points if they are close enough, when in city you could just zip around up there with no issue. most of it was waiting for them to line up to get gadget kills though. the only hard part of city was the challenge campaigns towards the end.

i miss when riddlers stiff had actual riddles and not puzzles. fuck those damn race tracks in knight too.

i even once concidered buying thte game of the year disk for asylum and city on 360 since a friend said they count as a different game for more achievement
>>
>>381285113
>>381285150
>>381285231

It's a shame, cause Batman's controls and combat were the best in Knight.

Landing on a car and flinging the driver out is a pretty damn good feel.
>>
>>381285507
Knight simplified combat even further than it already is with the multi fear take down chains and slow mo. It's already simple and easy to break, making it even simpler just ruined what challenge there was. You can practically play Knight asleep. City on NG+ was perfect level of difficulty for the type of game it was.
>>
I feel like I'm one of the only people that genuinely loves Origins.

Sure its the least polished and the open world is bland but I feel it has:
some of the best bosses,
the best version of detective mode actually requiring you to search for clues
Doesn't fuck up Batman and Joker's first meeting
Story is actually good
Best version of Bane

I just don't get why its so hated
>>
>>381285649
the fear take downs should have had to be earned, noy given the moment youre in a predator encounter. like, take out a few guys wothout being seen, then you can stike fear into the last few and take them out real quick. it would have been the continuation of the last guy panicing in asylum, a mechanic i sorely miss
>>
>>381285704
Origins was honestly better than it should have been.

I think its biggest problem is just that it feels completely unnecessary.
>>
File: 1492394481216.jpg (73KB, 472x527px) Image search: [Google]
1492394481216.jpg
73KB, 472x527px
>Arkham Asylum drew inspiration from classic Batman comics to create its own realized story based around game play that made you feel like you were Batman
>Arkham City drew inspiration from classic Batman comics to create its own realized story based around game play that made you feel like you were Batman
>Arkham Knight ripped off classic Batman stories to sloppily tie together the first few games' plot based around game play that forced driving sections into an already proven formula

Arkham Knight looks AMAZING. The graphics are jaw dropping and miles ahead of the previous two. The combat too feels polished and expanded upon as well. Unfortunately, missteps regarding the story and the Batmobile really ended such a compelling trilogy on a flat note.

It's such a surreal feeling playing it. The first two games are just great games which really made you feel like a superhero, with more improvements upon the last than negatives. Then the third comes out and somethings are so fucking polished and improved upon while others feel like they remembered they had to include them at the last minute.

Knight isn't an awful game, like most of the internet would like you to think. It's just an unfortunate misstep right at the finish line after an almost flawless marathon before it.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (125KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
125KB, 1280x720px
so, really, DID anyone catch the game last night?
>>
>>381282769
The combat and traversal system are shallow and boring. Period.
>>
>"you'll totally never guess who the Arkham Knight is guys it'll blow your mind!"
>it's fucking Jason Todd
Bravo Rocksteady
>>
File: 1446097642663.png (26KB, 510x556px) Image search: [Google]
1446097642663.png
26KB, 510x556px
>>381282769
Arkham Asylum was fantastic, especially because when it came out superhero games were almost always total shit. The rest have all been way worse.
>>
These games were only good for ass. And even that got nerfed in Knight.
>>
>>381285704
Part of it is that people were feeling Joker fatigue.
>>
>>381288416
Arkham City was the height of the series.
>>
Asylum and City are great, some of my favorite action games ever, the attention to detail is amazing
They both just feel like an episode of Batman TAS
Knight was alright, but I feel it got very repetitive, eventually I was just praying it would end soon, didn't touch it after I beat the main story
>>
>>381285704
It would be good it it weren't buggy as The Courtyard on PC.
>>
File: 1497952109742.jpg (234KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1497952109742.jpg
234KB, 1200x1200px
Totally agree. My favorite vidya series of all time. I take a walktrough of Arkham Knight over Bloodborne without a second thought. I even enjoy Arkham Blackgate.

My current ranking of preference:

Knight > CIty > Asylum > Origins > Blackgate

>>381285393 I have all the cheevos in Steam for Asylum and 100% of the trophies in PS4 for Knight, only missing some stars in the challenges. I'm only missing the calendar man trophie in City. In Origins and Blackgate i'm missing half of the cheevos, and i'll never get all of them thanks to the online.
>>
>>381287730

Period? like the one you have each month?
>>
>>381282769
City=Asylum>Knight>Gap>Origins
>>
Best Riddler, best Joker, but the start of the downfall of Harley Quinn as a character.
>>
>>381285704
Origins had fucked up combat, and the stupid as shit electric gloves
>>
they really are incredible games. the story is so good and the characters are so well presented. you feel like a superhero when youre playing it
>>
>>381288151
I feel like they sorta screwed themselves over with all the Arkham Knight hype. It was either gonna be a) Jason, which everybody for the most part had guessed months before release or b) an OC donut steel or literally who that nobody would have cared about.
>>
>>381282769
Origins would be as good without the glitches and poor collectible locations, Knight without the endless batmobile content. But then again Asylum had monotonous enemies and encounters, while City had little respect for the villains except the Joker, Mr. Freeze and the Penguin.
>>
Yes.

Best games of last gen. Shame Knight was so bag.
>>
>>381282769
Knight is overly hated. While it has the weakest story and bosses, I think the pace is on par of Asylum and the gameplay is at it peak. The only thing gameplay wise that didn't work was the predator Batmobile sections.
>>
>>381285649
try getting 3 stars on the harder challenge areas then. I agree that it's not difficult, but the skill ceiling is higher than you think
>>
>>381285704

Good things about Origins:

>SOME of the bossbattles, not all of them, like some people say: Bane, Deathstroke, Firefly, Copperhead, Croc in a lesser degree
>fun new types of enemies: the martial artists and the venom thugs
>comfy christmas theme and great snow effects
>great indoor levels
>fun sidequests, except for Riddler

Bad things:

>instead of playing with the concept of being a prequel (what if you had Spider-Man 2 swinging instead of gliding? and a more limited detective vision) it's basically Arkham City (they even reused the freeze greanade and the grapling gun boost)
>the annoying shock gloves
>the worsened upgrade system
>the rest of the bossbattles: Shiva, Deadshot
>shit open world, looks fake as fuck
>worst Riddler of the whole series
>bad execution of good ideas, like the random crimes
>a minor detail, but they fucked up Harley backstory, she didn't knew Joker until the asylum, and now she knew him in Blackgate
>>
>>381284702
Over emphasis on the car.
Battlezone.
Easy games made ridiculously easy.
No real bosses.
Racing.
Half the missions are collect a thons or repetitive as fuck.
Fear Takedowns.
Gigantic city with nothing to do.
>>
>>381285649

I don't feel fear takedown is overpowered, cause you have to face more enemies than before. It's compensated.
>>
>That entire /co/ RP thread as citizens of Gotham during the events of AK
Comfy shit, bro.
>>
>>381289196

Excuse me?
>>
I was sad the /v/ "leaks" weren't true but AK was still generally fun outside tank battles and the story.

Asylum is a 10/10 though. City's like a 9.5.
>>
>>381292472

Do you have a screencap?
>>
>>381285393
>TELL ME YOUR ARKHAM CRED

100% each game on both PS3 and PC.
All achievements except for Origins multiplayer achievements, some of which are literally impossible.
Finish each game without gadgets and/or without detective mode.
Will soon buy Remastered to do it all again.

Enemies could catch you going between vantage points in both games but yes, Asylum was the hardest of them all. Even though that isn't saying much.

Campaigns were a bitch due to some bugs or some very specific takedowns required.

>>381285507
Knight had the most options which is definitely what the character is about but I liked the barebones combat of Asylum. It fit the area. You were alone on the island with few resources, couldn't get Lucious to upgrade your car tank or send in a super suit. Also, the punching was more satisfying, especially the audio.

>>381285649
City on NG+ had a few really good moments of combat (usually a mix of guns and melee), but it was still too easy.

>>381285704
Agreed. Origins is actually my favourite because of the setting and the bosses. Best writing by far as well.

The unnecessary tweaks to the combat, poor polishing, bugs, and complaints about "Joker again" (which is a stupid complaint for this series) brought it down.
>>
File: 1489354102662.png (707KB, 836x897px) Image search: [Google]
1489354102662.png
707KB, 836x897px
>>381292658
>Robin! You take the giant black guy, I'll carry the girl!
Thanks Bats.
>>
>>381292702

>I was sad the /v/ "leaks" weren't true but AK was still generally fun outside tank battles and the story.

Yeah, i liked the Arkham Knight we got at the end, but i expected even more from Rocksteady, unachievable expectations. It was my personal MGSV. That anon's OC sounded great.
>>
How's the collection on PS4? Wasn't there a controversy over the remasters looking worse than the originals?
>>
>>381292702
what leaks are these?
>>
>>381288151
>"A brand new character for the game!"

Technically true.
>>
Arkham series is one game where I actually wish there was a bit of resource management, particularly in Asylum.

Having a finite amount of each of your tools for each encounter would've made the game a bit more interesting in approaching situations, especially if you're presented with times where you're sort of running a gauntlet of encounters and your tools would be dwindling and you may get reduced to just your stealth and your wits.
>>
I like what Knight wanted to do, but the execution fell on its face. Too reliant on the new vehicle mechanic, a good interpretation of Jason Todd that was hampered by both having to explain who he was, and having him to a heel turn.
>>
>>381292967

Some stuff look better: there's now rain in the outdoors of the asylum. Some looks worse: most of the characters.
>>
>>381292079
>>a minor detail, but they fucked up Harley backstory, she didn't knew Joker until the asylum, and now she knew him in Blackgate

That's just comics and the stories that go with comics. Origins had calendars that said "2013." You just have to shrug your shoulders and go with it.

And Origins' Riddler was among the best. Far better than a racecar track maker.
>>
>>381293121
>Arkham series is one game where I actually wish there was a bit of resource management, particularly in Asylum.

Agree, what if you had only 50 batarangs for the whole night?. It would add a survival horror touch.
>>
>>381292702
Some of those leaks were better than the actual story.
>>
File: ak.png (350KB, 1320x2089px) Image search: [Google]
ak.png
350KB, 1320x2089px
>>381292970
>>
>>381293296

>And Origins' Riddler was among the best. Far better than a racecar track maker.

Weird opinion. Origins Riddler is the City one with almost no death traps, and more puzzles only in quantity but not in quality. Knight one only sucked at the final bossfight, but the rest was a great experience to me.

My ranking for Riddler: City > Knight > Asylum > Origins
>>
>>381293381
Well there's the asylum Batcave that could be used as a sort of resupply center, but it's such a nuisance to get to that players have to decide before entering a building or undertaking a new area if they want to go back to the cave to stock up or if they just wanna plough through area after area trying to conserve everything as much as possible.
>>
>>381293381
>>381293121

Definitely in favour of this. It would have done so much toward making you feel like the Bat. Can't just go around spamming shit like Superman's laser eyes. The utility belt has limited storage and some of the shit in there just won't do you any good in many situations.

>>381293701
Origins Riddler had true to the character banter, taunting, and outbursts. He pushed people and organizations with blackmail by hacking their systems and outwitting them.

Knight Riddler was ridiculously out of character. Engaging in combat, building robots to fight Batman, and even worse, fucking racetracks? It doesn't fit with him at all. Most of the challenges weren't targeting Batman's mind which is the character's entire reason for existing: proving he's smarter. You don't do that by seeing how fast the guy can drive his super car. The robots would be forgivable if not combined with the rest of that retarded shit.

He was fine in Asylum and City.
>>
>>381293546
some interesting ideas, but it definitely sounds too busy to have been pulled off properly
>>
>>381293701
The Riddler is amazing in this series because he actually has a genuine character arc. YOu can actually track his (d)evolution over the course of the games. He's all suave and cocky and handsome in Origins, becomes a more proper, tradition Riddler in Asylum, and then becomes desperate and petty in City by doubling the amount of trophies and throwing in physical challenges, and by Knight he's literally living in the sewer, trying to prove that he's smarter than Batman by making him drive fast.
Listening to him getting more and more panicked when getting the final ten trophies in Knight was solid gold.
>>
>>381294915

"DIE FATHER, i mean, BATMAN"
>>
>>381294915
I liked when he called you out for using the internet to cheat.
>>
>>381293546
I preferred the one that ended with a Joker clone being made that would be ready in 10 years or so.
>>
>>381295287
>"How is THAT a puzzle, Eddie?!"
">You just don't get it."
>>
>>381293546
The funny thing about this is that it had information on Man-Bat and Fear Takedowns before they were revealed.

I'll always wonder if this might have been, and then the game's six month delay was to rewrite half the game because of the leak. This got covered on a couple low-level gaming sites.
>>
File: 1486119269213.png (363KB, 424x444px) Image search: [Google]
1486119269213.png
363KB, 424x444px
>asylum
best story and scarecrow
>city
best gameplay, bad story
>origins
comfy snow and fast travel
>knight
grafix fest with forced batmobile
>>
I like them, I hate all the busywork it has. I don't like doing stupid puzzles, I don't like having to go into every corner to find a dead guy that will give me a % completion towards a most wanted and I definitely don't like that so much content is behind such dull chores.

Aside from that, love them. Playing Knight for the first time right now, ignoring anything but the main storyline because I can tell that there's a lot of busywork that I won't enjoy on every other mission.
>>
>>381295946
It was definitely not rewritten because of the "leak". the games story wasn't great, but it didn't feel stitched together
>>
File: button-masher_brain_rot.jpg (122KB, 666x394px) Image search: [Google]
button-masher_brain_rot.jpg
122KB, 666x394px
>>381282769
>So what's the /v/erdict?
X, X, X, X, X, X, X,X, X, X, X, X, Y, X, X, X, X,X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, A+B... COMA.

>free flow faggot shitâ„¢
>>
>>381296052
>Asylum
Best Story, Best Atmosphere
>City
Overall great, but doesn't due anything particularly better than the others. (My favorite)
>Origins
Wasted premise, Best bosses, worst open world, worst gameplay additions
>Knight
Weakest story, Best gameplay, best missions, weakest side missions.
>>
>>381285704
Origins keeps crashing on my PS3 around the part where the guy gets thrown out the window. Is this a common problem? I just want to finish the fucking game, I like the comfy winter atmosphere and origin story for Batman.
>>
>>381296491
Also Knight seemed to have the least puzzles in the main game
>>
>>381296608
City is invalidated by Asylum and Origins. It's a total mess, and the open world is horrible.
>>
>>381297293
How is it invalidated?
>>
>>381282769
Why did Joker never get a good boss fight in this series? He's supposed to be the Batman villain.
>>
>>381282769

Replayed all four games a few weeks ago. They are some of the most fun and replayable games out there. The combat is simple but perfectly captures the idea of being Batman and fighting thugs on the streets, making you the right amount of overpowered while also making some encounters not pushovers if you're on hard or above. I'm sad /v/ as a whole keeps repeating the press triangle ti win meme, because that only works in Asylum 90% of the time, or very early parts of City, Origins and Knight.

My favorite character is Superman, so my dream is that Rocksteady makes a Superman game, devoting as much care as they did for Batman, making a new combat system that makes sense for it and a world that is as fun to explore as Gotham.
>>
>>381297367
Everything it does, those games do better.
>>
>>381290873
Hey look, someone who also thinks knight is the best. Cool. I just thought knight had the most batman stuff in it. And it was as of extremely high quality. Sure the story isnt as compact and tight as the first two. But there's just so much game there. Ill never stop saying its the best. I get a fuzzy feeling just looking at the game case sometimes.
>>
>>381285704

Detective mode was better in Knight.
>>
File: download (5).jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
10KB, 300x168px
Not the best batman vidya trilogy...
>>
>>381297474
Origins doesn't do anything better.
>>
>>381297504
I love the hell out of Knight too, man. I've replayed it the most by far
>>
I love them all.

Asylum set the stage.
City made the stage bigger.
Knight made the stage better.

I don't hate any of them and don't see how any fan of one can truly say one of the other two was a flop. Being the goddamn batman is satisfying in all of these games.
>>
File: HQ and mistah jay.png (616KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
HQ and mistah jay.png
616KB, 1280x720px
What if you had a fighting game like Dead or Alive (3D movement) into these games, it would purge Batman characters from Injustice and could be used for the bossbattles: Deathstroke, Shiva, Arkham Knight, those types of enemies that can go toe to toe with Bats.

>>381297386

I liked his bossfight in Batgirl DLC.
>>
>>381294915
Wally Wingert deserves an award for his Riddler performance in all four games.
>>
>>381297504
>>381290873

I also think Knight was the best, it was the culmination of the series in all aspects. Replaying it right now and everything from combat to predator sections to soundtrack to flying around the city or destroying everything in the way with the car is just amazing. And it looks fucking next gen.

People don't give enough credit to it, I loved every moment, even the races. Wished they had focused less on race track DLC though and more on the challenge maps and beefing up the solo story packs which were underwhelming. They did a good job supporting it with costumes and maps, though. There's like 30 high quality Batman costumes in the game.
>>
>>381297610

Those borefests? The third one is in my immediate backlog, and i can't gather the will to finish it, it's just so boring. It doesn't do justice to Lego or Batman.
>>
>>381297637

Character dialogue was top notch in Origins. That scene where Alfred is telling Bruce he's a spoiled child is fantastic.
>>
>>381298184
I don't think Knight is the best, but its still amazing. I think it had a pretty weak story and annoying Batmobile predator sections, but it wasn't anything huge
>>
>>381296491
>Knight
>Weakest story
I keep hearing this criticism, but I feel like Knight was able to evoke the most emotion from me of the three.
>>
>>381298417
The only parts of Knight's story I really liked were Oracle's plotline and the Joker fucking with Batman
>>
>>381298417
100%. That Ace Chemicals thing could have worked as the ending. It had more touching moments, but I think the general writing of the Arkham Knight (Jason) wasn't as on par.
>>
>>381296423
>press x meme
Sure, you can do that in any street fight and take minutes to finish, OR you could use combos/gadgets to get the most out of the fight while ALSO ending it sooner.

only retards mash buttons
>>
>>381298014
You mean his City boss fight + Harley? Meh.
>>
I really wanted to play Knight again, did not managed to finish it, but then i remember the forced Batmobile shit
>>
>>381298417

Me too. I noticed that most people that call AK's story bad are usually mad that the Arkham Knight character ended up just being Jason Todd, but I think they had a pretty good re-telling of his story in the game. It wasn't supposed to surprise old fans, the way it was told from the very start.

>Arkham Knight character wears bat-like helmet and symbol, knows Batman's tactics, clearly has a grudge against Batman, knows who his allies are, wants revenge

What was supposed to surprise was the Joker infection plot and that was successful to me, as an old fan, and the fake death of Batman and the revelation of Batman's identity and his 'death'. I loved how the director found a clever way of making the Joker more present without being cliché. It was legitimately unsettling seeing the Joker in every building, poster, wall, statue etc. He even mimics the Man-Bat in one point. It's great.
>>
>>381298903
The Batmobile is slightly overused, but it's only annoying if you suck at it.
>>
>>381299057

How it is possible to suck at that shit? It is literally boredom
>>
I got City on Steam and it won't run. I have the proper hardware to run it and I updated my drivers and it still won't run. Is this a common problem?
>>
>>381298903
Batmobile is exaggerated
>>
Do any other games even attempt 3D "metroidvania"?
>>
>>381296423
>>381298598
It also doesn't work on any fights except the most basic early game ones. As soon as enemies get weapons, armor, shields or different enemy types arrive you're fucked.
>>
>>381299178
Just to be sure you've uninstalled and reinstalled it right?
>>
>>381298903

It literally controls like a kart in Mario Kart and is not that big of a deal. I wish I had the number of hours spent on a car and hours spent walking around just to point it to people that complain about the car. I spent much more time flying around, fighting and sneaking than on cars.
>>
>>381299323
No, was gonna do that as a last resort. I've heard people had problems with the PhysX or whatever that is, I was gonna try turning that off.
>>
>>381299035

Fuck, meant the fake death of Barbara.
>>
File: 1469745665814.jpg (704KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1469745665814.jpg
704KB, 1920x1200px
>>381284921
I really don't understand how they fucked up Knight so hard. Beautiful game, adds tons, would have been GOAT and nailed it, and then they cock it up with way, way, way too much Batmobile vs. Tanks nonsensical bullshit it dragged down the whole game.

It had the most potential of them all, and it wasted the most of it.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13245350
>>
>>381299632

It was the ultimate gadget.
>>
>>381285649
>>381285850
I miss the fear mechanic of the old Batman Begins game. Asylum was the closest with it, and it's hard in open areas, but fuck was it cool. Batman needs that fear aspect, and it was missing from the games, for the most part.
>>
>>381299752

Damn, I vaguely remember reading about it in magazines, how did it work?
>>
>>381299632
I'd rather have an option of good traversal but shoehorned into the plot and missions
>>
File: IMG_0034.jpg (25KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0034.jpg
25KB, 443x332px
>that moment you unlock the eject super glider launch after getting the AK suit
>that moment you upgrade it to max level and can fly the whole map with the crazy speed boost
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
You now remember that Adam West is dead
>>
File: batman-beyond.jpg (129KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
batman-beyond.jpg
129KB, 1920x1080px
Does anyone have trouble running Knight on their PC? I have an I5-4670 and a 1060 6gb and still get fps drops on normal settings especially in the batmobile
>>
>>381300169
>we never got a campy 60s Batman game
It's not fair
>>
>>381300169

He was a shitty Batman, he played himself instead of the character, and made the character a joke for many, many years, until Neal Adams revived him. Good riddance.
>>
>>381300220
Probably most people, it still suffers from being a terrible port. The best way to play unironically is on the PS4.
>>
>>381300220
>Does anyone have trouble running Knight on their PC?
Yes. Most did/do.
I have dual gtx 780s and was able to run the game fine with a dedicated card for physx, but I frequently dropped to 30-40 from a steady 50fps @1440p

I did overclock 200mhz as well.
>>
File: No! It is a ruse.gif (907KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
No! It is a ruse.gif
907KB, 245x184px
>>381300438
>>
>>381300629
RX480 here and on my system the game is running a rocksteady 60fps
>>
>>381300792
>rocksteady 60fps
Get out
>>
>>381300220
fast ram makes a pretty big difference when you're moving around quickly and constantly streaming stuff in like in the batmobile, that's probably your bottleneck

i have a 4670k @ 4.4 and a 980 ti and i almost never dip below 100 but i do get random stutters here and there, nothing major though. my brother has a 6600k with fast ddr4 ram and his game is a bit smoother even though his gpu is weaker and his average framerate is lower.

>>381300503
>The best way to play unironically is on the PS4.
not even close, even my old dogshit 7870 could run this game at ~60fps on medium settings which is much, much more than what the PS4 is capable of. anyone can cap their framerate at 30 and get the ps4 experience.
>>
>>381282769
1. Great action game and level design
2. Great action game, good sense of freedom
3. Fantastic, but forcing the Batmobile so hard and so frequently really took something away from it.
>>
>>381299990
It was like a meter. It was similar to the way it worked in AA, but more direct. You'd do shit like put out lights, hang dudes from the rafters, use sounds to spook guys, and once it filled you'd get like a super takedown option that used the Scarecrow hallucination Batman visual from the movie. One of the tools you'd spook people with was calling in bats with a sonar remote, same as in the movie.

I vaguely remember it, it was like a decade ago, but something like that. It was fun.
>>
File: ACModelTalia.jpg (91KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
ACModelTalia.jpg
91KB, 700x700px
I loved all the batman arkham games and I consider arkham city and asylum to be top 10 favorite games of all time. Combat, use of gadgets and predator sections made me feel like the ultimate batman. I remember my cousin being extremely happy for me letting him have my copy of asylum and city for the xbox 360.

Is the return to arkham ports for ps4 any good or should I just get the ps3 original release?
>>
TELL THEM TO REMOVE DENUVO FROM MY LEGIT PAID COPY, AND THEN WE CAN TALK
>>
>>381299632
It was great traversal, great fun, fun to dive into and really feel like Batman, absolutely fucking awful for how they shoehorned the missions for it in and completely broke up the gameplay you actually came to fucking play. So "Nothing Notable" is closest, I guess.
>>
>>381298014
>What if you had a fighting game like Dead or Alive (3D movement) into these games, it would purge Batman characters from Injustice and could be used for the bossbattles: Deathstroke, Shiva, Arkham Knight, those types of enemies that can go toe to toe with Bats.
Nah, that's a terrible idea. I had some ideas myself on how to improve the boss fights, using Lady Shiva as an example because I love her and had a bit of an 'eureka' moment when I was thinking of how to make bosses in Arkham not shit.

So to make someone like Shiva work as a boss, how about this?

>boss starts, she only ever uses normal and bladed attacks at first; you as the player would be able to counter those like you would any other normal or bladed attack
>she would have the ability to block and even counter YOUR attacks, similar to the martial artist enemy in Arkham Origins
>she would also have the ability to stun you, giving her a free combo on you
>she might even have the ability to jump on you and attack you like Batman can do to enemies
>eventually you enter her next phase, where she might start using un-counterable attacks, meaning you'd have to jump over her or dodge
>she might also be able to use the environment to attack, similar to Batman
>what's really difficult about this stage is that Shiva starts throwing out different sorts of attacks at different times, meaning she might throw out a normal attack, then an un-counterable the next moment, then a stun, and so on, so you'd always have to be on your feet
>eventually she enters her final stage where she gets even more unpredictable

What do you think? I have ideas for a Red Hood boss fight as well.
>>
>>381300792
at what res?
>>
I honestly like Knight the best. I feel like when replaying the series it's the least repetitive because there's more to do.
>>
>>381301560
This.

I don't hate the concept or execution of the Batmobile, but it killed the pacing and fun of any story mission they crammed it into. Especially as the game got closer to the finale.

The cloudburst tank was an awful fight, but I reflexively turned the game off for the night when AK popped up in that fucking digging machine.
>>
>>381301494

They're definitely better than the PS3 versions, but the PC versions are still the best, specially with physx on. The PS4 remasters have some cool graphic tweaks here and there, but fuck up some faces in certain scenes. The perfect version would be PC faces, physx and fps, PS4 textures, lighting and shadows.
>>
>>381299035
Gigantic gaping plothole hurt the story.
>>
>>381302365

What was the plothole
>>
>>381301494
Get the PC versions if you can, unless you're rocking a potato you should be able to run it nicely. The PS4 versions are pretty bad, I'd honestly recommend even the PS3 versions over them.
>>
>>381302439

>joker personality coming through due to joker blood + fear gas
>joker spends weeks shipping out his blood to hospitals across the city
>many infected
>batman infected
>cure found
>cure taken by batman
>cure disseminated to populace
>batman gets hit with fear gas
>joker starts to manifest
>city covered in fear gas
>literally no one else manifests (other jokers held by batman never got the cure and manifested without the gas)
>no explanation for why batman is susceptible and others are not
>>
>>381282769
Loved Arkham Asylum
Didn't care for City too much
Actually liked Origins until le epic joker is the true bad guy reveal
Never finished Knight
>>
>>381301494
Get the originals for PC and use a controller. For some reason, some DLC is missing from PSN. Dem Bones for Asylum and Iceberg Lounge for City.
>>
>>381302672
No one was in the city
>>
>>381299035
>it wasn't supposed to surprise old fans

Yeah, people hate it not because it was obvious (of course it was) but because Rocksteady straight up lied pre-launch and claimed that whoever was under the armor was an entirely new character.

If they were up front from the start and said some winky shit like "we can't tell you but he hates crowbars lol" I think they might have been given more slack.

However ,the fake Barbara death was lame. The fake betrayal was lame. And Joker attempting to takeover Bruce's mind was amazing but ended kind of weak.

City had a more interesting premise, for my money.
>>
>>381302852
>And Joker attempting to takeover Bruce's mind was amazing but ended kind of weak.
That was like the highlight of the game
>>
>>381302851
Many were. Robin was going from one hospital to the next curing the infected.
>>
>>381302952
Year, but like, Bruce just Bat overpowers him. They don't talk it out. Bruce doesn't discover some shit about himself. He just throws Joker in mind prison.
>>
>>381302851

They weren't exposed to fear gas in the hospitals and the joker blood doesnt manifest always and takes quite a while to start really turning the person.
>>
>>381303067

He'll always live inside him and if it's anything like the Asylum he will always find ways to get out, because Batman will never kill him, even in his own mind. It's kinda fucked up in a good way, I like it.

Shows how twisted Batman can be.
>>
>>381303330
But Batman did him him in his own mind. He snapped his goddamn neck. That was a huge deal.
>>
>>381303462
That was Joker pushing Bruce and it didn't end Joker's presence in Burce's mind. There was still the entire sequence where Joker took over for a while.
>>
Only played the first two. Great games on their own, but I absolutely hate the cancerous effect they had on the industry.
>>
>>381303797
Which was?
>>
>>381300438
Campy Batman > Nolan Batman
>>
>>381303883
Not him but he's probably talking about Freeflow Combat.
>>
>>381303883
I think he means Bamham combat. Most games don't seem to understand why it worked to begin with. It's more than just having a punch button and a counter button.
>>
>>381303883
>standardizing detective mode as a cheap way of guiding the player without actually thinking of clever level design, all you need is make something glitter
>bamham combat system everywhere, 'press Y to avoid incoming attack'

I-m sure there's more but I can't think of it now. Now, I'm okay with the Batman series doing it, I'm not ok with everyone following this template. Insomniac Spiderman LITERALLY looks like an Arkham game.
>>
>>381304284
>>381304319

Is it in any other game aside from Mordor?
>>
>>381284702
> no real improvements
> overusage of the Batmobile
> repetitive af side missions
>>
>>381304350
Didn't AssCreed do Detective Mode before Asylum?

>>381304360
>>
>>381285393
100% on City
didn't really bother with Origins and Knight, because they were essentially the same

got the Return to Arkham version as a gift, so now I'm planning to 100% Asylum
>>
>>381304360

Sleeping Dogs, some Spider-Man games, Mordor, don't know others.
>>
>>381304360
Mad Max
Remember Me
Kick Ass 2
Ryse: Son of Rome
Sleeping Dogs
The new Spider-man game
>>
>>381304573
Oh right, forgot about Chinese GTA.

>>381304620
Some of these are pretty throw away though. The fuck is Remember Me and who played Ryse? Who suffered through Kick Ass 2 and then decided to buy the game?
>>
>>381304360
The Amazing Spider-Man games use it, at least.

>>381304350
It does bug me that Insomniac Spider-Man has the same takedown command as Arkham.

It looks like dodging may be different, though.
>>
>>381287268
>Be incredibly paranoid teen with delusions.
>This shit happens while my dad is watching basketball
>Shut off xbox in fear.
>>
>>381304678
>Remember Me
>nobody remembers it
kek
>>
>>381304537
Never played AssCreed. All I remember is that after AA everyone used it. Sometimes being the first to do someone doesn't mean that you're actually starting a trend. If AssCreed actually had it, AA probably copied and people realized that 2 huge hits in a row used it and started copying.

>>381304360
All I remember now is Mad Max. But basically most games that base their combat on crowd control.
>>
>>381293296
actually, no

you can find the tape recording their first session in Asylum, and it doesn't align with the one in Origins
>>
Alright, so I've played and beaten every Arkham game save for Knight. Do I buy it now or wait for some kind of GotY edition?

>>381304620
Ryse had that sort of combat?
>>
>>381304734
>Sometimes being the first to do someone doesn't mean that you're actually starting a trend

>first to do it
>didn't start it
>>
>>381304683
>It looks like dodging may be different, though.
They're probably twisting it a little bit to fit the character better, but it's pretty obvious where it comes from.
>>
>>381304798
A very streamlined version of it, Ryse is just a tech demo anyways.
>>
>>381304760
Wasn't disputing that but, like I said, that's just comics and the stories that go with comics. Continuity is virtually non existent.
>>
>>381304845
Don't be a retard, it's obvious what I meant. AssCreed (maybe) set the ground, AA made it grow.
>>
>>381304734
I don't remember which came first but yeah, I've no doubt it's been copied time and again. It's one of those things I forgive in Batman but I dislike elsewhere. Definitely not impartial.
>>
I love the game but hate it because it make popular the most braindead combat system ever.
>>
>>381282769
knight was such a let down. fucking batmobile missions should not have been the focus
>>
>Arkham knight shown
>That is Jason Todd man
>No it is not
>Arkham knight is a brand new character
>It's Jason Todd

Bravo Bravo
>>
>>381305125
I would have much preferred having stealth segments in areas where tanks were present. Having to sabotage them, turn them on one another, take them over, etc. It'd have felt a lot more Batman than playing Battlezone.

Got a brief taste of it underground just before you bring in your tank to demolish them.
>>
>>381305117
This is pretty much how I feel.
>>
>>381305238
They were technically being truthful. AK was a new character.
>>
>>381305402
AK is a new persona, not a new character.
If Batman took on a secret identity to investigate something, that doesn't make the new identity a new character.
>>
>>381304950
>being the first to do something doesnt mean you started it
>dont be retarded
>>
>>381305547
Not my fault if you have the reading comprehension of a retard.
>>
>>381305748
>being the first to do something doesnt mean you started it
>if you dont get that then you're retarded and have bad reading comprehension

>first to do something
>did not start it
>others can't read

youre cosplaying as joker now for sure
>>
>>381305524
I'm with you but from a licensing perspective it's a new character. They were really splitting hairs there.
>>
>>381305910
So do believe that Shenmue standardized QTE although they only took off years later when stuff like RE4 and GOW used them?
>>
>>381306047
>>381305910
To be fair, now you're jumping from starting something to standardizing it. Those are two very different things.

But seriously, stop it. We finally have a good Arkham thread going here.
>>
>>381302672
I suppose the argument could be made that all those who were infected and then cured left the city during the evacuation. Even if it's unlikely that all of them left and that those who engage in violent crime (and are therefore more likely to need blood transfusions after violent incidents) never got any of the infected blood.
>>
File: IMG_2140.jpg (463KB, 1280x1991px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2140.jpg
463KB, 1280x1991px
>>381293012
Well...
>>
>>381304858
Well that's exactly the thing. If they modify it so that it fits for Spider-Man, then it could be great.

Freeflow was so successful because it made you feel like Batman. If whatever Spider-Man has makes me feel like Spider-Man, great. If it makes me feel like batman they fucked up.
>>
>>381306609
What about the guy who should have won the battle for the cowl?

>4 barrels

For more fun.
>>
>>381306770
>What about the guy who should have won the battle for the cowl?
but Dick did win
>>
>League uses Lazarus to revive R'as in Knight
>Doesn't revive Talia
Why the fuck not?
>>
File: 1468617403731.jpg (12KB, 345x310px) Image search: [Google]
1468617403731.jpg
12KB, 345x310px
>>381288151
>>381291342
>>381293012
> tfw read that it's an OC for the game
> kinda neat, I'll take it
> every thread for the game is people just going "IT'S JASON"
> deny it, respond that they said it was a totally new character, don't like people being disappointed or mislead
> get the game
> from the first encounter with the Arkham Knight it's painfully obvious that it's Jason
> the least subtle hints possible for most of the game that just shout it even louder
> mfw I end up being the idiot who believed someone for once
>>
>>381307059
because no one gives a fuck about Talia
>>
>>381307035
Yeah and that was great. Especially his team up with Damien.

But goddamn. Imagine that lunatic in the driver's seat. That'd have been fun and you know it
>>
>>381307059
Ra's didn't want his daughter to suffer his fate of slowly losing his mind?

Long shot, but all I got.
>>
File: 20170606234645_1.jpg (381KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170606234645_1.jpg
381KB, 1920x1080px
Arkham Knight is my favorite followed by Asylum
>>
>>381307072
I was that guy saying that it's Jason with a new identity and they were going to say that's a whole new character. And it sucked.
>>
>>381307217
Even though he threatened to kill her in the last game.
And in Knight he kills his other daughter
>>
Baker did a better Joker for me than Hamil. Hamil's Joker was always too child friendly, unless you go find all the recordings where he does all the sick stuff or a handful of TAS episodes.
>>
>>381307220
I really need to play that DLC again. Didn't give it it's due at all. I've played Robin's shitty story more times.
>>
>>381307281
He loses his mind for a while right after the pit. Also, he's fanatically devoted to the cause and recruiting Bruce. He doesn't dislike her or anything.
>>
>>381307312
I wouldn't go that far but after Origins I knew that the voices for Batman and Joker were in good hands after Hamil quits for the 80th time and Conroy finally succumbs to depression.
>>
>>381300220
i3 and 960 no issues on ultra
>>
>>381307312
I wouldn't go so far as to call them better but Baker and Smith did a fantastic job as Joker and Batman. Would not mind hearing them do it again.
>>
City>Asylum>Origins>Knight>>>>Blackedgate
>>
File: 1471926895179.jpg (82KB, 195x626px) Image search: [Google]
1471926895179.jpg
82KB, 195x626px
So...

No one is going to talk about the fucking bonkers secret ending?! Or how Calendar Man is weird and cryptic throughout all the other games and is like, "I'll be there at the end." then he just pops up for a frame outside Wayne Manor before it blows up?!

I love these games, but man, you can't tell me Rocksteady didn't rush/cut out some important stuff.
>>
>>381308060
It's not a big deal. Batman fakes his death, Calender Man keeps his promise, and then that's it
>>
>>381308005
>Blackgate

That fucking game. I literally had to look up a walkthrough and play the game by aligning myself with the video and then just following it to the letter, not even looking at my screen. What a fucking maze of horseshit and boring gameplay.

>platinum requires replaying it 3 times

Fuck off.
>>
>>381308060
The only thing unexplained was who or what attacked the thugs at the end. And that isn't even important as it was just to convey the message that "no, he didn't died."
>>
>>381308060
I thought the implication was that Batman faked his death and started using fear gas against criminals

Calendar Man was an easter egg at best
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (110KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
110KB, 1920x1080px
I'm still mad about this.
>>
>>381308149
>>381308279
>>381308368
But don't you think it's weird that Rocksteady would go to the limits they did with easter eggs (the hard as sin to find secret rooms, setting the clock back to when they first started as a company and talking to Calendar Man in City, etc) then really not follow up with crazy, mystifying secrets and discoveries in Knight; other than "I'm a bat monster now maybe but who knows lol"

Something just feels wrong in that regards. There are Easter Eggs in Knight. Just nothing to that degree. It's weird.
>>
>>381308509
Knight is chock full of easter eggs who knows what we haven't found
>>
>>381308509
I'm sure there's some bullshit easter egg no one has found like the Asylum secret room that explains the ending
>>
>>381308509
I think that the easter eggs eventually devolved to them jerking themselves off. "Look how crazy THIS one is! Aren't we clever?" City had people using ciphers and shit and it just got crazier from there but only as a means to show how crazy it could get.
>>
>>381308585
Asylum room didn't really explain the ending, did it? It was more to set up the next game.
>>
>>381308802
"like Asylum secret room" here meaning "so impossible to find the developers have to tell you where it is," not the actual content
>>
>>381308579
>>381308585
I hope so. I really do.
>>381308734
That's kind of what I was getting at. They had such crazy, cryptic shit in the other games that there are entire Internet communities built around finding them. All of a sudden, none of that in Knight?

Sure, you could argue that it was their last game planned for the trilogy and they told their story. But then they include shit like the bat monster ending and it makes your spinner really fidget.
>>
File: IMG_0647.jpg (23KB, 600x386px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0647.jpg
23KB, 600x386px
>>381288151
>"find out" that he is really Jason Todd
>his helmey suddenly turns into the red hood helmet
>>
>>381302826
one of the main reasons to own a PC is that you don't have to use a clearly inferior control mechanism

I cannot understand the way you and many others think
>>
>>381308867
Ah, I see.

I guess it's possible but unlikely at this point.

>>381308882
They had some stuff in Knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iyR0hsRGc8

Not as much though.
>>
>>381308971
but a controller is objectively superior for third person action games
>>
>>381308971
Playing Arkham games with a keyboard is painful.
>>
>>381309107
True. But I think this was just a teaser for the VR game, wasn't it?
>>
>>381309117
it's more accurate to say that third person action games exist, to give agency and situational awareness to people that only have a toy controller to work with
>>
>>381309252
It was.

Knight disappoints in several mysterious ways.
>>
>>381285393
I played Arkham Knight on the PC on release. I had zero problems. I was given Blackgate and TF2 hats for my lack of trouble.
>>
>>381309252
Speaking of which, did anyone play the VR game?
>>
>>381309252
They consider that game a canon Arkham title. Also, they had their whole studio working on it full-time, it wasn't a side project to them, so it makes sense that they'd tease it there.

Now people need to find the easter eggs on Arkham VR.
>>
>>381309325
>>381309498
>>381309436
Oh, I'm not knocking the VR game; I've never played it. I'm just saying it's a lackluster secret compared to other ones.

They found the easter eggs in the VR game too.

They're lame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEMKuiWLez0
>>
>>381300438
The West Batman show played a big role in making comics popular and successful with the mainstream again, or at least making them "cool", paving the way for Marvel's stuff to come in and make comics more mature.
It's done more for the medium than any other live-action adaptation.
>>
>>381309635

I never played it either, I just pointed out it wasn't a side project because tons of people think it was just a small little thing for them. Unfortunately, I won't play it because those VR headsets aren't that interesting to me.
>>
File: XMenOriginsWolverine.jpg (132KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
XMenOriginsWolverine.jpg
132KB, 1280x720px
>>381282769
My movie game is better than all of them, dealwithit, bubs.
>>
I only played bam ham city but it's one of my favorite games.
>>
File: 1482687267478.jpg (70KB, 750x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482687267478.jpg
70KB, 750x720px
Talking about secrets and the ending and such, how would you end Knight to make people foam at the mouth for more?

>credits roll to a stop
>silence against a black background
>*BEEP*
>You have ONE new message
>*BEEP*
>"Bruce, we need to talk.
>"It's your father."
>*click*
>>
File: 936full-max-payne-cover.jpg (104KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
936full-max-payne-cover.jpg
104KB, 640x908px
>>381309260
This is some top-tier bait, it's not like some of the best PC games ever are in third person or anything
>>
>>381310521
>mumblemubleTerrymumblemumble
>>
>>381310521
>Talia appears out of nowhere
>"Bruce, there's someone I'd like you to meet"
>>
>>381310521
>bunch of reporters outside Wayne Manor
>all talking about Bruce being Batman
>Vicky is talking to someone about the whole thing
>we don't see them, just them writing on a notepad
>Vicky stops and frowns
>"sorry, what paper did you say you were with?"
>"Oh, the Daily Planet."
>smash to black, thunder
>>
Liked all 4 games.

But the writing in all 4 was beyond fucking awful.
I know bad writing is part of most comics, but fuck me, it has to have a limit.

I think the lowest point of writing in all 3 games was Batman carrying out joker instead of Talia, his lover. Its pandering o insulting that it completely butchers the story and ignores all characterization and all logic for a "cool" scene to wrap things up with.
This makes even the Arkham Knight reveal seem great.

Also dunno why people give AK so much shit for writing. Its miles ahead of Arkham city, and light years ahead of Asylum.
>>
>>381307059
>Why the fuck not?
She would compete over screen time with catwoman.
Who already got cucked hard.

The lead writer was shit and fails to comprehend basics about characterization and character development, so he will sacrifice or complete ignore those things to write safe and easy plot resolutions that can be fallowed up with 10 more sequels that dont require any effort to write.
>>
>>381287268

I thought my gpu died.
>>
>>381311887
or maybe Batmam just liked him more : )

> Also dunno why people give AK so much shit for writing. Its miles ahead of Arkham city, and light years ahead of Asylum.

elaborate
>>
This serie introduced the gameplay which killed video games.
>>
>>381315308
>elaborate
Whats there to elaborate?
Asylum had barely any story to begin with and most of the effort seems to went into writing up lore, making audio logs and other side stuff.

City had an idiotic twist with a pulled out of the ass character with more magical powers than seen in the 2 games so far, and the whole Talia/Batman story line was a complete mess with an awful conclusion.

Arkham Knight fallows a proper story stricture for once, but the pacing is bad, Jason gets introduced way too late into the story, Oracle way too late into the series would be much better if the game actually started with Batgirl and Jason years before AK takes place. So exactly the type of thing they cut out for DLC.
>>
>>381315638
This
Fuck the xray stealth, its the same shit mgs did only worse

now xray stealth is in every fucking game
>>
File: arkham.jpg (123KB, 883x601px) Image search: [Google]
arkham.jpg
123KB, 883x601px
Maxed out every game except Blackgate. Don'T Thinking of going back and playing it just to make the collection complete.
>>
>>381282769
>Played Asylum and really liked it
>I got Arkham City at launch and was convinced for a while after its release that it was my favourite game
>Origins I didn't like as much, but I did complete I am the Knight mode
>Knight I played through twice and I'm still not really sure how I'd rank it among the others
>>
File: Rasalghul_in_arkham_asylum.jpg (18KB, 418x235px) Image search: [Google]
Rasalghul_in_arkham_asylum.jpg
18KB, 418x235px
>>381315798
> Asylum had barely any story to begin with and most of the effort seems to went into writing up lore, making audio logs and other side stuff.

it was an atmospheric, self-contained Batman story
nothing wrong with that

> City had an idiotic twist with a pulled out of the ass character with more magical powers than seen in the 2 games

unless you grew up with Nolan's movies, you should've known that Batman's rouge gallery was full of people with actual magical powers

also, Ra'as being an immortal has been a thing ever since Asylum

> Arkham Knight fallows a proper story stricture for once, but the pacing is bad, Jason gets introduced way too late into the story

lol as if the twist was the only problem with that game's writing

> Joker takes over Batman's body via his blood, even though Joker had no superpowers whatsoever

> numerous fake deaths during the game that have no lasting effect whatsoever, and purely there for shock factor

> Jason's retarded last-minute redemption
>>
File: Arkhamknightjasontodd.jpg (45KB, 573x430px) Image search: [Google]
Arkhamknightjasontodd.jpg
45KB, 573x430px
>>381316331
also, the Arkham Knight is an all-around a garbage character

Red Hood works, because he's an anti-villain. He kills criminals, and his reason to resent Batman was because he wasn't willing to break his no-kill code and kill the Joker, even after what he's done to him.

the Arkham Knight was willing to kill everyone in Gotham, just to get back at Batman, whilst he was portrayed at the end as "poor tortured soul, who just needed a few slaps to snap out of it"

it's especially bad, when you consider, how he's actually given in to the torture and betrayed Batman, even before he's become the Knight
>>
>>381316659
*Red Hood is an anti-hero
>>
File: batman-killer-640x417[1].png (270KB, 640x417px) Image search: [Google]
batman-killer-640x417[1].png
270KB, 640x417px
>>381282769
I liked Asylum the best. It was more of a metroidvania and a more focused experience. Playing City for the first time, it felt horribly disjointed to try and move through the city and the audio just cutting in and out of:

>"Hey Batman, it looks like Killer Cro-"
>"Why da Joka say we's gotta stay out 'ere on t-"
>Hmmm it looks like a killer was here. If I can scan the bo-
>"Master Bruce. How about another fucking gliding challenge?"
>>
City = Asylum > Knight > Origins

Objectively correct ranking. You can of course prefer Asylum or City over each other, that's more down to personal taste than anything.
>>
>>381282769
Played them again recently, Asylum is still pretty good but nothing special. City is a bit samey but is still decent. Origins is boring mediocrity. And Knight is dogshit.
>>
Am I the only one that LOVES the games but has no interest in the challenge modes? Really fucks with my completion score.

I'll also jump on the loving Knight. Proper competed the trilogy for me.
>>
>>381316331
>it was an atmospheric, self-contained Batman story nothing wrong with that
Theres also nothing especially good about that
Its a good good game with your typical poorly written story and a wasted and unused lore.

>unless you grew up with Nolan's movies, you should've known that Batman's rouge gallery was full of people with actual magical powers
Oh i was quite familiar with batman lore and dc comics long before i played the game.
But basics of competent writing requires you to introduce rules and structure for your world before you fucking tell the story, not at the end of it.
Also introducing such central characters in the very last minutes of a 15-30 hour long game is exactly what we call bad writing.
Its a deus ex machina to solve an impossible contradictory plot by introducing never before seen in the series powers and characters with almost godlike abilities.

>lol as if the twist was the only problem with that game's writing
The twists was only really obvious for people who know the comics, it works as a self contained story much better.
>Joker takes over Batman's body via his blood, even though Joker had no superpowers whatsoever
Ye, this was stupid.
>numerous fake deaths during the game that have no lasting effect whatsoever, and purely there for shock factor
Was a theme in the whole game, not really a flaw.
>Jason's retarded last-minute redemption
The problem was the scale of his crimes before it, not his change. I mean how many people could realistically by killed by his orders and his plans?
Thousands, tens of thousands?
Then again this is something comics and games do all the time, thank god they didnt play him off as someone redeemed by the end, but someone who ran away.

Still, even with its problem its structure properly, has a proper 3 act structure with proper characterization.
And as i said, while all games suffer from the "game/comic writing" syndrome, Arkham Knight is by far the best out of the bunch.
>>
>>381316659
Ye, the mid way gameplay and story definitively ran away from the character initial idea.
Its just a case of escalation of scale bad writers suffer from, its the inability to keep the initial premise coherent while you rise the stakes for no reason at all other than to build cheap moment to moment tension.
If the story was kept to batman him and few other small side characters it would work well, but when you introduce a literal army and an entire city to it it falls apart and becomes too week to keep together a story of stakes of this size.
>>
Imagine these games if they didn't have such shitty combat. Arkham Knight was so chock full of little Easter eggs and stuff.
>>
>>381317517
They don't have shit combat though.
>>
File: Hr_batman-_arkham_knight_14.jpg (129KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
Hr_batman-_arkham_knight_14.jpg
129KB, 712x712px
>>381317204
> But basics of competent writing requires you to introduce rules and structure for your world before you fucking tell the story, not at the end of it.
Also introducing such central characters in the very last minutes of a 15-30 hour long game is exactly what we call bad writing.
Its a deus ex machina to solve an impossible contradictory plot by introducing never before seen in the series powers and characters with almost godlike abilities.

Ra'as appears like around half of the game, you even have a boss fight with him lol
what is this shit, with him appearing in the last few minutes?

> The twists was only really obvious for people who know the comics, it works as a self contained story much better.

this is kinda hypocritical
you give flak to City for not introducing certain elements, which have been part of the Batman lore for decades, but then you give Knight a free pass because "it was obvious for those who knew the comics"

> Was a theme in the whole game, not really a flaw.

yes, it is
the point of it is was to show, how Batman's life drags his loved ones down with him

it was wearing him down until at the very end "whoops, no one is actually dead Bruce, no need to feel bad"
>>
>>381317883
>the point was to show how batmans love his loved ones down with him
>it was wearing him down until at the very end no one is actually dead Bruce

That's exactly why it didn't work, though. Nobody got dragged down because nobody died. It didn't make an impact because it was obvious to everyone the deaths were fake. For what purpose? This is the last game. Kill them off, that would actually make the case you are claiming.
>>
>>381318283
that's actually what I was saying anon
>>
File: 1467629306540.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467629306540.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>381282769
First 2 was great (but hot damn Bane's appearance in the first one was fucking bad. Why was he so fucking dumb and no, the explanation in Arkham Origins isn't enough. 'least they somehow unfucked him in city).

Arkham Origin's not bad but was too short for me. I can somehow see the importance of Joker's appearance but he felt forced.

I haven't played Arkham knight though I'm somewhat interested with the bosses. Seen some gameplay and all I can say is that it looks unpolished and buggy when compared to the previous games not to mention, there's too much car sequence. I'm disappointed that Joker is somehow still around. Would it kill for him to not appear and just make Scarecrow fuck shit up without his presence.
>>
>>381318283
>to show how batmans love his loved ones down with him
>love his loved ones down

What the fuck are you babbling about you retarded moron
>>
>>381300169
I met him at a comic con, got his autograph, and asked him a few questions at his panel.
He was a nice guy.
>>
>>381317883
>Ra'as appears like around half of the game, you even have a boss fight with him lol
>what is this shit, with him appearing in the last few minutes?

I meant clayface obviously and the whole joker subplot.

>this is kinda hypocritical
you give flak to City for not introducing certain elements, which have been part of the Batman lore for decades, but then you give Knight a free pass because "it was obvious for those who knew the comics"
How the hell was it hypocritical?
>you give flak to City for not introducing certain elements
>but then you give Knight a free pass because "it was obvious for those who knew the comics"
No, i said it was NOT obvious to those who are NOT familiar with the comics.
And how the hell are those 2 points of mine even related? Clearly one talks about the bad pace of introducing characters and lore, and the other praise the game for something others criticize it for.
>the point of it is was to show, how Batman's life drags his loved ones down with him
Oracle and Jason getting hurt wasnt enough?
I mean i dont get what you say, do they have to die for it to matter?
>>381318283
Same goes to you.
Killing off characters just "because you can lol", is the most idiotic writing sin you can make.
You are the same kind of guy who thinks inception last scene should show if the spinning top topple or not, when in fact it dosnt fucking matter. The story is resolved, the point is that it does not matter.
Killing off characters at the end brings nothing to the story and in fact distract form it and distracts form its message.
Thread posts: 269
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.