[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turn based JRPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: p5.jpg (160KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
p5.jpg
160KB, 960x960px
Idk how you weebs do it. I'm 45 or so hours in, halfway through burgerland, and I just can't keep going. It's just so repetitive. The VN aspects are what's keeping me going but the RPG half of the game is just so boring. I'm about to drop it and I really don't want to.

>spam elemental moves til you find weakness
>exploit weakness
>baton pass to someone else who can exploit another weakness
>knock all enemies down
>press triangle and watch a cutscene
>run around
>smash cross through 10 text boxes to press a button
>run around more
>encounter enemy
>repeat

The Persona fusion thing is pissing me off too, it just feels like I'm left with an underpowered shitter if I don't CONSTANTLY adjust it.

I've never managed to finish a turn based JRPG before, from Earthbound to FF9 and even Nepshit and it's just because they all turn into repetitive cheese like this once you're halfway through. What's the secret?
>>
>>381282605
Play wizardry series.
>>
>>381282605
Play something else, why would we care what interests you?
>>
>>381282605
I can't speak for others but I played Persona 5 in portions rather than go the full hog like most here. I only finished it a few days ago, and I had great fun. Eventually I bored for a bit then suddenly get the itch to be motivated to play again.
>>
File: intellivision_burgertime.jpg (127KB, 1016x741px) Image search: [Google]
intellivision_burgertime.jpg
127KB, 1016x741px
>>381282605
There was once an ancient time where videogames didn't have a pause option. The infinite time between turns allowed you to go to the bathroom, cut the lawn, and finish your homework. Until you could get to the next savepoint.

Pic unrelated. I went back a little too far.
>>
>>381282821
Because I don't want to keep locking myself out of an entire genre that's supposed to have some of the greatest games ever made. The VN here makes me want to play but I feel like I'm just not getting it and I want to know if I'm just looking at it the wrong way or doing it wrong.

>>381282964
Frankly I just don't think I'd be capable of a second playthrough even if I did manage to get the RPG to click with me, too many textboxes to dredge through.
>>
>>381282605
no shit persona is fucking trash the only people who play it are weebshits for the waifus
>>
>>381283216
nigga im here for almost exclusively for the waifus and i cant fuckin do it
>>
>>381282605
persona is made for autists
>>
>>381282605
just drop it
it doesn't get any better
>>
File: t1EW41.jpg (2MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
t1EW41.jpg
2MB, 2988x5312px
>being so jaded and cynical that you can't even enjoy one of the greatest jrpgs ever made.

So sad
>>
>>381285736
it's the worst
>>
>>381285786
On what basis? By comparison to the weeb neptunia games and even final fantasy 15 it is considerably better
>>
>>381282605
I'm somewhat with you OP

I don't know how anyone can play a story for 100 hours yet alone a turn based one. You have to have extreme tolerance to repetetive shit to actually finish some of these jrpgs. Unlike you I enjoyed earthbound though, the battles didn't bore me in that
>>
If you want a Shin Megami Tensei game with good combat, play Devil Survivor, especially the second one. Provided, its combat, which is grid-based and turn-based in a sort of two-fold gameplay, is the only real gameplay element outside of the barebones "select where to go next and listen to people talk" portions, but the combat is really good in my opinion.
>>
>>381286741
If he's gonna waste his time with a SRPG he might as well play FFT

Devil survivor has a awful art style
>>
>>381285987
no it is worse than both
>>
>>381282605
Any game gets repetitive if you play long enough. Action RPGs are all about spamming the same combo over and over again.
>>
>>381282721
Who are these posters who randomly show up in persona threads to mention Wizardry? They're not even remotely similar.
>>
>>381287450
Can you explain your reasoning?
>>
File: 1497825466523.jpg (90KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1497825466523.jpg
90KB, 500x667px
>>381282605
Persona is going to be shit if you aren't there for the VN aspects.

What do you like in jrpgs? I'll try tp suggest something.
>>
>>381283138
Burgertime was GOAT
>>
>>381288896
>Action RPGs are all about spamming the same combo over and over again.
Someone's never played an Action game in their life.
>>
>>381282605
It's a good game, but yeah it gets pretty repetitive.
If you want a JRPG to beat, get Yakuza 0.
>>
>>381291725
>JRPG
>>
>>381289042
>They're not even remotely similar.
Have you ever played Persona 1? Because it's Wizardry in high school setting.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.