[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Reason There Aren't More Games Like Eternal Darkness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Eternal-Darkness_Cube_US_ESRB.jpg (504KB, 800x1120px) Image search: [Google]
Eternal-Darkness_Cube_US_ESRB.jpg
504KB, 800x1120px
It turns out Nintendo has a patent on sanity mechanics in games. Fuck Nintendo for patenting this. They're never even going to use it again. I want more sanity meters in my vidya.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6935954.PN.&OS=PN/6935954&RS=PN/6935954
>>
we're living in a post-metroid prime 4 age
anything could happen
nintendo could just ask some other company to make a sequel for them
>>
>>381273075
You sound like a child. Anyone who isnt stupid patents thier ideas.
>>
>>381273460
I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with patents, but nintendo did not invent sanity mechanics. that shit has been around since Call of Cthulhu were sanity was an important stat.
>>
What was that game for Xbox that if your people got too scared they would go crazy and run away? I think it was based in Alaska. Somewhere cold and snowy
>>
>>381273075
So how did bloodborne manage?
>>
>>381274542
The Thing?
>>
>>381273460
You patent your ideas so you can make money off of other people using them.
>>
>>381274542
There's sanity stuff in the Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth game, but all that happens is the screen goes a bit funny, and I think at worst, your guy shoots himself.

>>381274742
Because Insight isn't insanity, it's eyes on the inside aka the path to evolution, so there's that excuse. But in gameplay terms, it's nothing like Eternal Darkness' insanity effects which were meant to mess with the player, like the volume thing and save corruption, but don't actually really do anything to you, in Bloodborne, you see some stuff and become less resistant to a damage type. There's a big enough difference between the two.
>>
File: header.jpg (35KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
35KB, 460x215px
How did pic related get away with it?
>>
>>381276642
So have effects that aren't fake-errors or rebrand it as "reality glitches" or some shit.
>>
>>381273075
The sanity mechanic in eternal darkness was stupid as hell

>Obvious meter goes down
>LE SPOOKY BLUE SCREEN and other obviously fake shit pops up to jumpscare you
>Meter is easy to keep up so you never even see the effects
>>
>>381277385
OP is bullshitting. I really think such a patent is not actually enforceable. If it were, how would an indie game like >>381277290 be able to have an actual 'Sanity' bar?
>>
>>381273075
Isn't Amnesia all about don't look at the monster/don't stay in dark places or you whimper and the monster notices you? Why didn't Nintendo sue them?
>>
>>381277290
There's also amneisa, and did penumbra have something too? I think the point has basically been made at this point.

The nintendo patent does not extend to everything that could be described as a "sanity mechanic" and unless you were making chinese-knockoff tier ripoff of eternal darkness you're probably ok.
But then this whole thread was probably just bait with the setup of "fucking nintendo ruining games forever".
>>
>>381277596
>Not deliberately depleting the insanity meter to see all the cool shit

I can tell your a riot at parties.
>>
>>381273075
wow. i have this game on my shelf, about to pack it up for the move. but i read about how bloodbornes sanity meter had to be changed to insight for technical reasons
>>
>>381278013
That's not the point, because you only see them when a meter is low it's not scary/interesting, it makes how obviously fake they are that much worse
>>
HD Rumble Sanity effects should be a thing
>>
>>381273369
yes and Geist will get a sequel as well
>>
>>381273075
>Brb patenting overuse of leather belts
>brb patenting hunger as a mechanic
>brb patenting open-world as a mechanic
Is this even enforceable?
>>
>>381273075
Considering the "minigame in loading scenes" patent from okami is dead I'd assume this patent is likewise no longer valid
>>
>>381273075
It's old, and they can only hold it for like 14 or 20 years? It's almost expired.
>>
>>381273075
Yeah fuck Nintendo for caring about their IP. Seriously man grow up.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.