[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to cheat devices like GameShark, Action Replay,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: unnamed.png (55KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
55KB, 300x225px
What happened to cheat devices like GameShark, Action Replay, and Codebreaker? Do these things just no longer exist on modern consoles because almost everything is online now?
>>
>>381256887
companies figured out they could sell you cheats.

the masses decided they were fine with paying for such services.

corporate greed found another way to milk you.
>>
>>381257042
Are you talking about DLC and pre-order 'bonuses' that boost stats or something? Hell, I used Codebreaker on PS2 because I couldn't get online with Monster Hunter for some of the gear.
>>
>>381257316
yeah, little things like that chipped away at the cheats market etc.

That and I guess given the massive online nature of things now, and everything needing to be an esport - devs care more about balance than fun.
>>
File: 1494876401288.jpg (162KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494876401288.jpg
162KB, 1280x720px
Editing running memory is a security fault. Now that consoles are so obsessed with piracy and exclusives they did their best to lock down their machines to prevent them from being used like machines; only as media consumption devices used in the way they decide.
>>
>>381257660
That's pretty shit. At least cheat engine still works when I want to dick around on the computer. Sucks that the main forum that housed all the codes ended up getting taken down by some attack. A lot of those cheats back in the day were not just a
Inf. Ammo/health, but they were fun things like moon gravity and super speed.

>>381258075
Really? I did not know that. That's pretty shitty honestly.
>>
File: never again.png (168KB, 320x239px) Image search: [Google]
never again.png
168KB, 320x239px
>>381257042
>companies figured out they could sell you cheats.
it's has more to do with how developing cheats is now seen as wasting resources that could be spent towards on-disc DLC or cosmetic shops. why bother? cheats are a single player game thing anyway and nobody plays those anymore with few exceptions.
>>
>>381258440
no, developing cheats takes literally minutes, at a technical level it is simply writing a command and another command to call upon that command, devs making the game will know their work so well it takes literally minutes to mock one up.

I do agree that the focus is monetisation though, but not time required.
>>
File: doubt.png (86KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
doubt.png
86KB, 300x300px
>>381258440
>and nobody plays those anymore with few exceptions

Total War (no one fucking plays the MP)
Witchman
Bamham
Assassin's Creed (no one fucking plays the MP)
Skyblimp
>>
>>381258440
>nobody plays those anymore
Almost half of the games at e3 this year were single player.
>>
>>381258440
>cheats are a single player game thing anyway and nobody plays those anymore with few exceptions.

one of the stupidest things i've read today.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.