[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Call of Cthulhu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va7Zmu1dd1E
>coming to xbox, ps4 and pc Q4 2017

What do you think /v/?
The devs say it's going to be based more on the pen and paper rpg than on the original story although there's no combat
>>
>>381249461
>No Switch
Fuck them too then, 3rd party games when?
>>
>>381249461
So is this like the other game then? The combat was a big part of teh game and made it a lot more fun
>>
>>381249461
>than on the original story

No shit, the story is dumb as fuck. Lovecraft even wrote about how much he hated writing it.
>>
>walking simulator streamer bait
either play the Call of Cthulhu game that already came out, or play bloodborne if you want a good lovecraft game
>>
wow the official video game, fancy
>>
File: 1496589541657.jpg (174KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
1496589541657.jpg
174KB, 640x512px
>>381249461
>read plato
>chthonian gods
It's fucking real
>>
>>381249643
>>381249745
>The combat was a big part of teh game and made it a lot more fun

The game goes downhill after you are introduced into the combat.

If there needs to be a walking simulator game, it needs to be about Lovecraft works, in which fighting is just not a god damn option, you are facing fucking cosmic horros and shit that mankind does not understand.

Also
>combat in CoC P&P
Have fun dying 10 seconds into the encounter, you seriously cant fight anything other than cultists in CoC
>>
>>381250687
As much as I'm loathe to care about any Amnesia clone, Lovecraft IS a great choice for it.

But only if they make the game more of a psychological thing. No actual monsters to run away from. Just pure atmosphere and dread. Good use of lighting (and lack thereof), shit that makes you downright uncomfortable like having the character breathing heavily or gasping for breath. Visual fuckups to your UI, subtle hallucinations but none of that sanity meter shit. Have it intuitive and hard as shit. You can regain your composure and pick up your balls if you spend a short while somewhere less oppressive but witnessing something cosmic would just drive you fucking mad.

But a fun addition would be that it doesn't get a game over. You can still continue the game if you turned into a gibbering looney, but your choices become harder, jumbled. It's up to the player to try and dechiper their own characters world and actions, seeing A as A when normal but if you go mad, A is seen as B but you need to pay attention and think. A is actually still A!

The result is a dynamic fucked-up puzzle game where you have to make sense of madness to finish it, if you happen to see a Shoggoth taking a shit.
>>
>>381252067
I am thinking about Eternal darkness when we talk about Lovecraft games done right.

Remember that part of what makes people go mad in most Lovecraft stories is the presence of a monster that is always near by but never full on contact with it.

They need to be smart about how they will approach that, because we have normies who will go "DUDE CTHULU XD" and those same normies will buy the game expecting to see Cthulu and at the same time fight it (Which is never even fucking possible in P&P but people try anyways) and fight his minions.

Its going to be the scenario of the new Godzilla movie, where people who saw it hated it because Godzilla screentime was about like 10 minutes while ignoring the fact that Godzilla movies are not about Godzilla itself but the people who suffer from his actions.
>>
>>381252067
>No actual monsters to run away from

So nothing like Lovecraft, then.
>>
>>381250687
>If there needs to be a walking simulator game, it needs to be about Lovecraft works
first and foremost focus of any game should be the gameplay and in no circumstance should it be sacrificed for the sake of muh immersive deep plets. If you can't make a videogame around the cthulhu mythos without having to severely limit player choices to the point where it's a walking simulator on account of that messing with/breaking the immersion , then you should just quit and make a movie instead
>>
>no combat
>>
>>381252868
Nail on the fucking head. Especially about Godzilla cause I thought it was great but so many people argued with me on it when it came out for that exact reason.

I would actually say perhaps subvert the idea of combat. Everybody feels like a god with a shotgun in their hands so give it to them. Have them kill some knife-wielding cultists for a while. Then break out the shit that gods have nightmares about.

Your gun suddenly has no effect. In fact shooting whatever the fuck that "thing" is makes it angrier. If you just start the game off having no combat as the baseline, you've set the atmosphere right off the bat.. but give them power and then stripping it from them during some messed up shit will really crank up the hopelessness.
>>
Oh boy sounds like it's tailor made for generic sellout twitchfags who love cinematic qte walking simulators.

I can hardly fucking wait.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.