[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RTS with bigger screen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: ss21.jpg (88KB, 375x235px) Image search: [Google]
ss21.jpg
88KB, 375x235px
Why screen so smoll in SC 1 and 2? I can barely see a few units and few buildings. Why such approach?
>>
File: Screenshot_SC2_DevGame1.jpg (145KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_SC2_DevGame1.jpg
145KB, 800x600px
>>
Because Starcraft is about precise microcontrol you retard. If you just want to send disposable waves of shit in general enemy direction play SupCom
>>
>>381246484
>Because Starcraft is about precise microcontrol you retard
Can't you have microcontrol with at least a bit bigger screen? And look at those UI boxes at the bottom - except for map and menu button, it doesn't do shit. I don't think it's good design. They are just in the way
>>
>>381246484
>Because Starcraft is about precise microcontrol you retard. If you just want to send disposable waves of shit in general enemy direction play SupCom
Why not give players the option of making the screen bigger if they want? If the game is so much about microcontrol, it wouldn't be much of an advantage.
>>
>not just operating via the mini-map
>>
>>381248228
>not understanding some basic concepts
Would you chop wood with stone, or axe?
>>
>>381246183
literally artificial difficulty is why.

when the screens smaller you have to pay attention to minimap more and/or move around the camera a lot, making it harder to do stuff while paying attention to other things.

It's a retarded concept.
>>
>>381248621
LMAO
MY REAR VIEW MIRROR
WHY IS IT SO SMALL!?

ARTIFICAL DIFFICULTY DRIVING MY HONDA

RETARDED CONSEPT MADE TO MAKE ME CRASH AND DIE

HURRR
>>
>>381248621
So it's like giving everybody autism, and then making MMA competition. Everybody has equal chances, and if somebody does not want to have autism, he shouldn't go into MMA in the first place.
>>
File: 9qEGmkY.png (989KB, 745x739px) Image search: [Google]
9qEGmkY.png
989KB, 745x739px
>>381248786
>>
File: 1497572804039.jpg (101KB, 1012x1002px) Image search: [Google]
1497572804039.jpg
101KB, 1012x1002px
>>381248419
>He doesn't know a stone axe exists
>>
>>381249487
I know. I wanted stone in that comparison, not stone axe.
>>
early rts used sprites that couldn't be easily scaled, so that fixed camera height became a convention
>>
File: 1497982121215.png (182KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1497982121215.png
182KB, 1280x1024px
>>381249767
I can see much more here. It's a single screen.
>>
>>381246183
>what is 1998

were you even born
>>
>>381250031
Did you even bother to read? SC2 has the same problems. I played SC1 as a teenager, but I don't justify bad design on nostalgia.
>>
>>381246183
For a series of reasons.

First off, because of the precise micro involved in those games, having the camera close to the units is important.

Second, camera placement is a very real skill in those games. You can catch invisible units by seeing the shimmer effect. There's other stuff like how one-shotting a worker will not send an attack alert to the player (which means you need to see/hear it in order to notice it, again putting emphasis on camera placement as a skill)

Also, personally I've never understood the complaint, neither in this nor in Dota. The camera is still far enough that you can fit a large amount of units on the screen, and you need to move the camera around a lot anyway. You also get most of your strategical information from the minimap.
>>
>>381248092
because thats a lot of effort to please one retard with autism?
>>
>>381248850
yes, it's exactly like that. anyone who doesn't immediately think of this exact comparison is just obviously objectively wrong because this is the best one that will ever exist
>>
>>381248621
You would need to pay attention to the minimap no matter how far you could zoom out, lol.

I'd also like to know what makes certain types of difficulty "artificial", and how artificial difficulties are less legitimate than the others.
>>
>>381250424
>because thats a lot of effort to please one retard with autism?
>insulting with autism
>while only koreans in some shithole with autism actually bother with this game
nice
Because of people like you this genre is dying.
>>
>>381250382
Hmmm,I think I get you, good explanation, but:

>First off, because of the precise micro involved in those games, having the camera close to the units is important.
If the camera would be a bit fruther away, how does it hamper micro? I don't think it would, It would still be easy to click around, if not easier.

>Second, camera placement is a very real skill in those games.
It could also be a skill with bigger camera.
>>
File: The reason.png (14KB, 618x78px) Image search: [Google]
The reason.png
14KB, 618x78px
>>381246183
To not give in to the rich-fags. Also, it's easier to code and Starcraft was a horrible rushed mess code-wise.
>>
>>381251257
>If the camera would be a bit fruther away, how does it hamper micro? I don't think it would, It would still be easy to click around, if not easier.
Of course, it depends on how much farther out the camera is, but a very important part of micro in SC is making fast and precise selection boxes (e.g. for splitting units). The farther out the camera is, the harder this becomes.

>It could also be a skill with bigger camera.
It could be, but the farther out the camera is, the easier it becomes. For example, if you could zoom out enough in order to see your whole base, you really should never miss the shimmer of a DT climbing up your ramp.
>>
>>381251497
Thats a daymn shame.
Now I know why this game is so popular with 3rd world countries.
>>
>>381252343
>Now I know why this game is so popular with 3rd world countries.

But it's not?
South Korea was all over it but their fellows in Korea and Chine were all over AoE's dick instead. Heck, even fucking Japan played primarily AoE.

No idea about SA, though.
>>
>>381252587
I meant Poland.
>>
>>381252587
>in Korea and Chine
*Vietnam and China.
>>
>>381250682
See the second point here
>>381250382
>>381251829
If I would be able to precisely control units while zoomed out the only reason to not allow it is to make it easier to miss things.

that's artificial difficulty. when the difficulty doesn't come from the game itself but rather how you see or control it, where a simple control change or camera change would make it significantly easier.
>>
>>381252587
SK was going through some tough times when the game first launched though
>>
>>381253279
How did China not tell AOE to fuck off for not giving them gunpowder and block printing?
>>
>>381253945
We're talking original AoE, not 2.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.