[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The great debate.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: mother.png (255KB, 828x219px) Image search: [Google]
mother.png
255KB, 828x219px
The great debate.
>>
>>381241639
What debate? Mother1 plays like shit.
>>
Houses are definitely better than fields
>>
Both are overhyped overrated games with a shitty fanbase that won't shut up about how awesome the games are to the point of them being underwhelming at best.

/thread
>>
>>381241639
I thought Earthbound was more charming and there was more of a consistent growth with getting new characters, instead of switching all over the place like in 3.
Mother 3 definitely has better story and gameplay, and its even a bit challenging at spots. Earthbound was only hard in Onett.
>>
>>381241715
That's mother 2 isn't it?
>>
>>381241860
Nah m8 they're pretty good. If you let the fanbase of a single player game sour your opinions on said game the problem has more to do with you.
>>
File: 56367-Mother_(Japan)-1.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
56367-Mother_(Japan)-1.png
2KB, 256x240px
>>381241639
Mother.
>>
>>381241639
I like Earthbound better than Mother 3. Mother 3 for whatever reason decided to change everything into being a generic fantasy jrpg setting and it lacks the amazing atmosphere and setting of Earthbound.
>>
File: IMG_2589.png (352KB, 620x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2589.png
352KB, 620x500px
>>381241639
>After the Switch presentation in January, Reggie said, "Talk to me in a year and we'll see how far we've come," in reference to Metroid and Mother 3
>2 Metroid games were announced at E3
I think this might be the year, guys
>>
>>381245492
Why would you want to play the inevitably censored localization of Mother 3 when the fan translation is perfect and doesn't take anything out?
>>
File: a4f.png (32KB, 455x396px) Image search: [Google]
a4f.png
32KB, 455x396px
This guy just made a very critical Retrospective https://youtu.be/t5OhPhAkEBo
It's how people view the game who just can't get behind it.
I can see the flaws but the strengths make up for it.

I'm not a shill I just want to talk about Mother
>>
File: 45610616.jpg (3MB, 2893x2659px) Image search: [Google]
45610616.jpg
3MB, 2893x2659px
>>381241639
I like M2's world, atmosphere and story setup more than 3's. 3 has better characterization, artwork and gameplay. Some would argue it has better music, especially given how much larger its soundtrack is compared to both predecessors. I'm not a fan of how linear the world in 3 feels over M1/2.

I prefer Earthbound, but despite 3's generic story and linearity, I can admit it's a much more polished and solid overall game than 2.
>>
>>381246290
>expecting people to watch a 40 minute video of some jerkoff manchild shitting on a 22 year old game.
>>
>>381241639
mother triple was way better
>>
Maybe it's because I'm forced to play on an emulator but the timed attack mechanic is really annoying especially with how every enemy is a different timing and you don't get an indicator of the timing until later. The mechadrago is kind of impossible without the timed attacks but doing the timed attacks is impossible on an emulator.
I know there's translated bootleg carts out there but I don't have GBA or a DS anymore
>>
1>2>3
>>
>>381245701
>implying it wont be a mother 1 remake
>>
>>381246987
Your computer must be shit or you suck at rhythm
I replayed M3 recently and was able to 16 combo a lot of enemies, its also not true that you need it, I actually avoid using it to make the game harder
>>
>>381247795
>Your computer must be shit or you suck at rhythm
Except emulators literally have a proven desync issue with the rhythm mechanics when emulating Mother 3. The most you can do is turn Frame Skip to 0 but it's still present
>>
i stopped playing earthbound halfway through because it got boring and i felt like it was missing a lot of story. played mother 3 after and loved it.
>>
Earthbound is better as a surreal experience but Mother 3 is superior as a plot driven, linear experience.
>>
>>381248056
Im not denying emulating might make it harder, Im saying it doesnt matter and you can still combo just fine and often.
>>
>>381248186
Just because you can do it doesn't make it "just fine." The majority of people have experienced issues with Mother 3's flawed emulation.
>>
>>381248301
Again even if you somehow couldnt pull a single combo in the entire game it still wont matter as you dont need it and IMO makes the game too easy anyways.
>>
>>381241715
>Mother1
>>
>>381248450
>as you don't need it
It's more than needed for some of the earlier encounters like the mechadrago. Otherwise you're only doing 25-30 a turn
>>
>>381248595
Im sorry man but you are pretty bad at JRPGs
The only difficult bosses of M3 are the Jealous Bass and Miracle Fassad.

I actually opened the game again and loaded a state, comboed Porky to 10 hits with no problem in the first try Visual boy advance 1.8.0
Maybe you need to update
>>
>>381241639
Undertale
>>
>>381246290
>I'm not a shill
yes you are. fucking kill yourself
>>
I liked earthbound more overall but I liked mother 3's story just because it tried

3 constantly had the fever bullshit when getting new powers, and I wasnt a fan of the rhythm combat.
It also had some tedious sections like the underwater part or the lab shit with the instakill chimera thing.
I would still recommend it but I wouldn't replay it unlike m2.
>>
File: snapshot20060321135837.jpg (91KB, 716x540px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot20060321135837.jpg
91KB, 716x540px
>>381241639
Earthbound for the quirkiness, Mother 3 for the feels. They're both great, and you need both.

>that room with all the earthbound artifacts in mother 3
>>
>>381244498
good one

get it? that's an ironic pun, because "one" is "not good"
>>
>>381250867
Pretty much this.
>>
>>381244498
Mother 1 actually had some things I liked which didn't really come back exactly
>nonlinear, getting lost, can get party members "out of order"
>Actual significance to "words of power" you're chasing, 2 basically doesn't give a fuck
>Final boss was also more tangible
>OG Magicant w/ queen Mary
It's weird comparing it to 2 where basically everything is better except all the stuff which are basically handwaved remake parts.

Then there's the balance issue near the end and the overly grind heaviness, but to be fair Itoi said he didn't like the turnout for it in that regard either and it didn't have much testing near the end. Luckily numbers are easily changed, the story aspects aren't.
>>
>>381245492
If it's happening, expect an announcement in 6 months. FE Echoes and Metroid had reveals six months apart from each other and both games had a release date of four months after reveal. If they continue the trend as they belt out remakes then it's a safe bet I think.
>>
File: saturns.png (4KB, 200x64px) Image search: [Google]
saturns.png
4KB, 200x64px
>>381241639
Earthbound is a simpler game but accomplishes everything it set out to do.

Mother 3 is a more ambitious game which is mechanically superior but suffers more apparent flaws.

Both tie for my favorite game ever made so I can't choose. I feel like all three mother games add to one another, they're all outstanding.
>>
>>381252059
You are supposed to run away from enemies when in the mt itoi summit, is to make the alien army seem very strong.
>>
Mother 3 was the better game overall and had an even better soundtrack. Sure it''s more linea, but not overly so.
>>
I liked Earthbound's setting way better, Mother 3 feels way too generic, even with its own charm added to it.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.