[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shmup is the only genre that never ages,prove me wrong.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

Shmup is the only genre that never ages,prove me wrong.
>>
>>381228252
Puyo Puyo Tetris is one of the best games of the year
>>
It never ages because the genre is as shallow as a puddle.
>>
except it is dead. Though it is true you stop aging when you die.
>>
>>381228252
Those tits are glorious
>>
File: 20170617092203_1.jpg (576KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20170617092203_1.jpg
576KB, 1680x1050px
>>381228252
What about 3d shmup?
>>
It's also the only genre that never changes
>>
Platformers are ageless
>>
File: 1494639326333.jpg (160KB, 666x836px) Image search: [Google]
1494639326333.jpg
160KB, 666x836px
>>381228252
I have her game on my Saturn
always play as the Gunbird girl though
>>
Why are miko good at flying and shooting?
>>
File: Pocky_&_Rocky_with_Becky_Cover.jpg (30KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
Pocky_&_Rocky_with_Becky_Cover.jpg
30KB, 316x316px
>>381228252
Oh my, Pocky sure grew up.
>>
>>381228343
And its also the most fun

>>381228384
Traditional shmups are nearly dead but bullethells are more alive now than ever
>>
>>381228252
How can non-Koyori women even compete?
>>
>>381230241
It's not shallow though
>>
File: 50535_back.jpg (74KB, 640x450px) Image search: [Google]
50535_back.jpg
74KB, 640x450px
What was the first shmup you have ever played? Mine was Biometal for the SNES,it was alright but hard as fuck
>>
>>381231889
Space invaders on the TI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daQ2kFHkQsk
>>
>>381231889

An old, somewhat ratty Galaxian (or was it Galaga?) arcade machine someplace. I loved it.
>>
>>381228252
>Just discovered Blazing Star because Switch has Neogeo games
>becomes my most played game because I'm gunning for that #1 spot on the leaderboards
>>
>>381228252
How to play this series? Series overview please?
>>
>>381233162
Play the first two games and ignore the PSP one
>>
>>381228252
>prove me wrong.
Most of the very early SHMUPs are unplayable generic garbage by now, it also doesn't help that there were far too many and too many clones, most of the early Namco 3D arcade railshooters are also clunky and terrible to play nowadays.
>>381231605
It is one of the shallowest genres due to being all path memorization at high levels of play outside of a tiny handful of games that are actually well designed and force you to use your brain, let's not talk about the absolute cancer that is Danmaku because that's just trash.
There's some amazing SHMUPs out there, but most of them are the same old pathfinding bullshit that requires far too much effort for what is essentially sticking to autistically practicing one thing over and over again, not even playing an instrument is that boring and a least it gives you something in return, no wonder the genre is dead.
>>
>>381228384
So when people technically die and are miraculously resuscitated, they cease to age? Sweet
>>
>>381233995
>are unplayable
Git gud son. Shmup is the one genre where it's nigh impossible to find a bad game due to the simplicity of the controls then again there's always something that makes it hard to master.
Also how can they be generic when it's more or less a dead genre?
>>
>>381233995
>Most of the very early SHMUPs are unplayable generic garbage by now

Most of the very early videogames are unplayable generic garbage by now not just shmups.Shit most videogames right now are also garbage.
>>
>>381233735
>Blazing Star
the first two are Sega Saturn japanese import ones right?
>>
>>381234462
I was talking about the game in the OP not Blazing Star and no the first game in the Sengoku Ace series is only for Arcade and PS2,the second one is also avaiable on Saturn.
>>
>>381234295
>Shmup is the one genre where it's nigh impossible to find a bad game due to the simplicity of the controls
Atrociously bad gameplay and level design worry me more than controls, but if you really find shit like Galaxian, the first Cho Aniki or Salamander fun in this day and age, that's good for you I guess, I can't bring myself to play that boring shit, the only really old SHMUPs that are still worth playing are the great classics like Gradius, R-Type, Gaiares and some of the less mainstream ones like Zanac or the more exotic ones like Gyruss, even most of the 4th gen SHMUPS aren't really worth playing nowadays.
>Also how can they be generic when it's more or less a dead genre?
You answered your own question, especially when you have to wade through an endless sea of shitty danmaku which are all the same shit, there's many good reasons why the genre died.
The OP has Sengoku Ace, but outside of the "novelty" of controlling characters instead of ship and the unusual setting I wouldn't really recommend anyone to play it when there's much better designed horis, just like I wouldn't recommend playing stuff like Cotton.
>>381234323
There was a relatively short span of time when SHMUPS actually expanded quite a bit though, that more or less coincides with the 5th generation of consoles, more or less, when people tried to experiment more with 3D or tried to further refine the hori/verti formulas, that gave us real quirky stuff like Internal Section or REZ, or really great games lik Zanac NEO, it was still full of pretty generic and boring stuff, but I personally think that was the time when the genre reached it's best.
>>
>>381236043
>the first Cho Aniki
You do realise that the entire series is a kusoge right?

Then again you;re someone think that generic means uncommon especially in this day and age.
>>
>>381236043
>shitting on Cotton

That's a very bad opinion,i agree that the 5th gen was the best one for shmups but the 4th gen is pretty close
>>
>>381230117
What? There was a Pocky & Rocky on GBA?
>>
>>381236254
>You do realise that the entire series is a kusoge right?
Yeah, I do, some of those are still fun though, the PSP remake is actually decent, but pretty much anything before MGSNO is just trash.
>>381236665
I'm not saying Cotton games are bad, but they're just not really noteworthy outside of the cuteness, same thing with other stuff like Harmful Park, they're cool if you're really into SHMUPs, but it's really hard to get anyone else to appreciate them or like them, and for good reasons.

You know a what's a SHMUP I really like? Dezaemon, especially Dezaemon kids, would I recommend playing it? Hell no, even casuals will find shit like Ray Crisis more fun to play than Dezaemon, I love it but I know exactly why it's super niche in an already niche and mostly dead genre.
>>
>>381237616
I don't think casuals would ever touch a shmup in 2017,not even the easiest ones.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.