[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gothic II vs Skyrim

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

File: khorinis-riften.png (1MB, 865x808px) Image search: [Google]
khorinis-riften.png
1MB, 865x808px
Which was better?
>>
File: 1423148202418.jpg (149KB, 600x665px) Image search: [Google]
1423148202418.jpg
149KB, 600x665px
>it's another "pretending that a shitty and outdated rpg is better than Skyrim just because it's older" episode
>>
Gothic II did just about everything right EXCEPT combat.
>>
>>381217343
Combat is perfect in Gothic 1 and 2
>>
Haven't played Gothic II but I can't imagine it's worse than Skyrim.
>>
File: 1474055642938.png (141KB, 492x280px) Image search: [Google]
1474055642938.png
141KB, 492x280px
>>381217672
Do you fuck boys, Mr. Valdez?
>>
>>381218230
Explain what's wrong with the combat
>>
These things can be measured by judging what else was being done at the time.

At the time Gothic II came out, it was pretty much front and centre in regards to the genre it was in, when thinking of quality and design.

Skyrim came out and had every element of it surpassed by games which had come out before it.
It doesn't have good combat.
The story isn't that good.
The world design isn't that good.
The graphics aren't that good.
The OST is okay-ish.

Skyrim isn't TERRIBLE.
It's just okay-ish overall.
>>
>>381220105
this is a bait thread
>>
>>381217270
it another idiot claiming that skyrim is a better RPG because bethesda calls it one, despite it having zero roleplaying, and basically no roleplaying mechanics either.
>>
>>381221103
t. odd howard
>>
>>381221103
No, it's not.

I see Morrowind vs Gothic 2 threads all the time, but I don't really think they are that similar. In many ways I consider Gothic II a proto-Skyrim, as they actually have a lot in common.

(Disclaimer: I'm a really big fan of both TES and Gothic.)
>>
>>381222350
> In many ways I consider Gothic II a proto-Skyrim, as they actually have a lot in common.
Like what?
>>
>>381222513
Just to name a few off the top of my head:
>action-oriented combat
>streamlined rpg elements
>npc interaction
>npc schedules
>locations: e.g. khorinis vs riften
>story: getting an artefact to defeat dragons
>>
>Literally what vs one of the GOAT RPGs
Really makes me use my grey matter
>>
>>381223218
there is a colossal difference betwen Skyrim and Gothic's combat
>>
>>381223449
I know right, Comparing Gothic II to that piece of shit is outrageous.
>>
>>381223610
Yeah, in that Gothic's combat is actually good. It still has more in common with Skyrim's combat system then Morrowind does.

Skyrim's combat is one of its weakest elements that I mod to be more like Dark Souls, and in turn more like Gothic's.
>>
>>381223610
Yeah. Skyrim's is good.
>>
>>381224419
>Skyrim's combat is one of its weakest elements that I mod to be more like Dark Souls, and in turn more like Gothic's.

What combat mods do you use? last I checked none of them fix anything, they just make the enemies jump around spastic.
>>
>>381222350
Gothic is compared to Morrowind because it has journal instead of quest markers, it's not consolized and was made for PC unlike Skyrim, and is overall a much harder, deeper game with more RPG mechanics
>>
>>381225085
>gothic
>more rpg mechanics

I think it has the least RPG mechanics of any RPG I've ever played.
>>
>>381225380
do elaborate
>>
>>381224876
Well I'm playing SE atm, which doesn't have SKSE so admittedly it's a bit shit compared to what you can do in vanilla Skyrim.

Mortal Enemies SE:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4881/?
This fixes what I consider the fundamental problem in Skyrim's combat, in that no attacks can be dodged.

Dual Wield Blocking
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5978/?
This makes dual wield combat actually viable.

On top of that install an NPC difficulty mod of you choice and crank it up to maximum difficulty
For example: Deadly Combat.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8850/?
>>
>>381225085
I though Gothic 2 was compared to Morrowind because they were both huge, high fantasy rpgs released around the same time. They're also a good comparison for what larger companies could do compared to smaller, less known devs.
>>
>>381221665
Gothic is a better RPG
Skyrim is a better game
>>
>>381226381
Skyrim is too bland and barebones to be called a good RPG and too boring and repetitive to be called a good action game
>>
>>381225674
>no character/class creation
>simplistic weapons with no durability
>very few number of skills
>basic skill upgrade system
>minimal ui

The game feels more like an RPG version of Tomb Raider, as opposed to Morrowind that feels like a first person dice roll tabletop RPG.
>>
>>381226074
yeah, but it's still that clunky combat that just doesn't feel right. It kinda feels like my attacks don't really "hit" the enemy, the sort of just slash him on the surface as if every enemy was made out of stone.
I don't know if you understand what I'm saying. I don't know if it's just the animations that are bad, or if it's the fact that your sword doesn't go through the enemy, or if the enemy just doesn't react to your attacks or a combination of these, but I feel like the combat is just not good. It feels ugly and even morrowind had a more satisfying one.
>>
I never played Gothic II but this is my impression
Slow moving, tedious, bland, great writing and great pay off in the end.
Am I right?
>>
>Skyrim
Not exactly a high bar to vault
>>
>>381227070
>slow moving
yeah you got that part right
>>
>>381227070
you're wrong as fuck
>>
>>381225674
He thinks RPG = lotsa numbers
>>
>>381227232
>gothic
>slow moving

haha no

It's about the same pace as Morrowind.
>>
>>381227014
For vanilla Skyrim this addresses that problem:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/23681/?
>>
>>381227296
Well you have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise everything is an RPG.

The comparison I use is how similar it is to Dungeons and Dragons. Care to explain what you consider an RPG?
>>
>>381227070
You got literally everything wrong
>slow moving
It takes about 8 minutes to cross the largest map in a game, half that with elixir of speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWJllOEw9N4
>tedious, bland
No
>great writing
No
>great pay off
Lol no, final boss is a huge letdown
>>
>>381217096
Why not both ?
>>
>>381227754
So skyrim with a smaller map?
>>
>>381227754
It is universally accepted that RPG means you can upgrade your character in a different ways, thats why a lot of shooting games are called RPGs. Every other RPG definition is a personal opinion
>>
>>381227939
Yes, this is actually how I define the game in my head.
>>
>>381217096
Gothic doesn't have Nazeem or what was that nigger's name, so that's already a win.
>>
>>381227939
no, it has nothing to do with Skyrim

how about you just play the game you fucking retard

Also this thread is obvious bait, Gothic shits on skyrim
>>
>>381227667
Meaningful, branching dialogues, open-ended quests that affect the world, progression through exploring the world rather than grinding XP, explorable lore, fun companions etc.
Taking D&D as a gold standard is retarded, it's a tabletop game, it NEEDs numbers to bring order to what otherwise boils down to a bunch of nerds daydreaming together. In a computer game all the numbers can be hidden.
>>
>>381228058
bait

Just fyi OP is baiting hard by comparing Skyrim to Gothic 2 which is complete opposite, it's like comparing black and white, and newfags fall for it.

Stop giving OP Yous
>>
>>381228153
>Meaningful, branching dialogues
>open-ended quests that affect the world
>progression through exploring the world rather than grinding XP
>explorable lore
>fun companions

By these standards most games classified RPGs are not in fact RPGs. Pokemon for example has none of these, so are you going to tell me it's not an RPG?
>>
>>381228490
It's almost like common definition of RPG is retarded because at this point Tomb Raider and Call of Duty fall under it
>>
>>381228490
>>381228153
The universal accepted definiton of an RPG is that if you can upgrade your character in a different ways then it's an RPG
>>
>>381228490
>By these standards most games classified RPGs are not in fact RPGs. Pokemon for example has none of these, so are you going to tell me it's not an RPG?

Pokemon is not an RPG. Most JRPGs are not RPGs.

But Gothic II is also barely an RPG. It's primarily an action game with a few RPG elements.
>>
>>381217343
Combat in Gothic 2 is better than Skyrim.
>>
>>381228140
cause I have other things to play? while gothic II fags refuse to move on or point out actual reasons to play it?
>>
>>381228891
>But Gothic II is also barely an RPG. It's primarily an action game with a few RPG elements.

That's a fucking lie. It has sneaking, pickpocket, picking locks, forging weapons, creating runes, acrobatics,

different builds as well

getting experience from exploring the world and talking to people rather than just killing monsters

dialogues and quest choices that affect the world

Different dialogue options

It's pretty much as RPG as a game can get
>>
The combat is Skyrim may not be good but its functional and thats more than Gothic can say
>>
>>381229179
t. never played Gothic for more than 15 minutes
>>
File: MA44.jpg (82KB, 757x720px) Image search: [Google]
MA44.jpg
82KB, 757x720px
>>381228891
>It's primarily an action game
At least play the game for 5 minutes before posting something this asinine
>>
>>381229235
I spent exactly one hour with Gothic before dropping it. Game has aged like milk, sorry bro.
>>
Skryim is dogshit and Gothic 2 isn't even close to being the best RPG ever
everybody go home
>>
File: 1h.webm (3MB, 1050x590px) Image search: [Google]
1h.webm
3MB, 1050x590px
>>381229352
Sure Todd
>>
>>381229129
Those are all minor aspects of the game. 90% of the gameplay is fighting with the different builds only determining whether you use a sword, a bow, or a spell to kill shit.
>>
>>381229285
I played it for 70 hours and did just about everything in the game.
>>
>Launch Gothic
>its third person
>Uninstall

So much for being an immersive roleplaying game
>>
>>381229467
>attack
>attack
>jump back
>attack spam until dead
as opposed to skyrim
>attack
>attack
>block
>spam attack until dead
GOTHICS COMBAT IS SO MUCH BETTER GUYS
its literally two worlds tier combat, both games are, fuck off
>>
File: Raven (2).webm (3MB, 1000x528px) Image search: [Google]
Raven (2).webm
3MB, 1000x528px
>make a thread comparing the best RPG ever to a shitty bethesda turd that's barely an RPG

guaranteed replies
>>
>>381229817
every enemy in gothic has different attacks and you fight them differently
maybe play the game first before you decide to shitpost
>>
>>381229817
It's rhythm based, dumbfuck. You chain attacks and interrupt individual enemy patterns.
>>
>>381229918
tbqh pretty much every enemy in Gothic is fought the same way

>pull them away from their group
>stun lock them with side-side-forward
>>
>>381230175
>stun lock them with side-side-forward

that's a lie. You can only do that to certain enemies. Most enemies, especially the human ones will fuck you up if you just swing left and right
>>
>>381230261
Nah, humans and orcs are the most susceptible to being stun locked.

>fuck you up if you just swing left and right

That's why you gotta throw in a forward attack.
>>
>>381230175
This is viable in Gothic 1, and only with animals. In Gothic 2 enemies actively try to flank to throw off your lock and interrupt your hits, not to mention that now you die from one critical
>>
>>381226550
stay mad that your favourite "rpg" is known by literally no one while Skyrim gets tens of thousands of players every day and is one of the best selling games of all time kek
>>
>>381231827
low effort bait, try better next time
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.