[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this actually worth playing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: Theevilwithin_cover.png (743KB, 764x828px) Image search: [Google]
Theevilwithin_cover.png
743KB, 764x828px
Is this actually worth playing?
>>
>>381155027
Yeah. It's RE4 but better.
>>
It is VERY divisive. I personally think it's a great action horror title but some people are offput by the stiff characters and dodgy narrative. I really dug its balanced difficulty though and it came out at a time where it was refreshing to just see a video game be a fucking video game without feeling guilty about it.
>>
>>381155027
Nah. It's like RE4 but worse.
>>
>>381155027
>>381155113
>>381155378
It's like RE4 but different.

Also the story totally shits itself super early.
>>
>>381155027
It's some mushy mix between re4 and splintercell with no personality.
>>
File: 1494963568448.jpg (135KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494963568448.jpg
135KB, 1280x720px
>>381155113
>>
I was between this and the Resident 0/1 collection today and went with the collection because I only read bad things about Evil Within.
>>
>id tech 5

anything that uses this engine ISN'T worth playing

looks like shit, plays like shit and has bad optimization
>>
>>381155027
too edgy imo
>>
>>381155027
It has its moments, but I feel like they could have done more with the premise. And despite some really good setup the last few areas feel like they kind of devolve into standard shooting sections.

Still glad they're making a sequel. I'm curious where they'll go with things.
>>
>>381155689
and friendly reminder that Evil Within 2 is STILL using id tech 5. dont buy it.
>>
File: 1379124957351.jpg (14KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1379124957351.jpg
14KB, 184x184px
>>381155693
There's really nothing edgy about Evil Within, it's just a horror game
>>
>>381155027
It's a lot like the original Resident Evil. For me, that's perfect. For the people who started with RE4 though, the game was too hard and required too much thinking or planning and that sent them into a rage.
>>
>>381155647

Not that anon but I liked it more than RE4 as well but I think they have slightly different aims. TEW isn't as balls to the wall as RE4 is.

>>381155664

The correct answer of that lot was REmake so you made the right choice. I would say TEW is better than RE0 though. Not a lot of mainline RE games are worse, though.
>>
File: 66346346.jpg (37KB, 466x368px) Image search: [Google]
66346346.jpg
37KB, 466x368px
>>381155792
seriously.......
>>
>>381155693
>edgy
Yet again /v/ criticises something without knowing anything about it.
>>
>>381155997
What's TEW's aim?
>>
I just found out Shinji Mikami isn't even involved with EW2, so is that a good or bad thing? Considering that EW1 sucks.
>>
>>381156139
yeh when u look in the ps store it says it uses idtech but doesnt tell you the number and since it looks just like the first one graphically im assuming its still 5.
>>
>>381155967
More like the controls felt very choppy and wonky. I've played Resident Evil 4 and the controls, although very tanky, felt quite smooth. This game, however, felt very choppy.

Also, having black bars that cover 60% of my screen gave me a fucking headache, so I uninstalled it.
>>
It's really Meh imo.
There's a lot of trial and error sections and nothing actually felt dangerous or scary.
There's good things about it, but they also get evened out by bad things.
Mainly with things like invisible enemies, not having any/enough ammo during the "horde mode" sections, stiff controls in tight hallways, ect.
They tried to implement a stealth mechanic but outside the first few chapters it's never used again.
It just devolves into what every modern horror game is, a TPS with some spooky moments with zombies.
But if that's your thing then go for it, if not I'd say just watch a lets play.
>>
Its good game but its not survival horror. Its action horror.

>>381156384
Hes still producing. It is HIS studio after all
>>
>>381156601
you can turn off the letterboxing you know.
>>
>>381156307

I felt like it took the action horror stylings of RE4, consciously looked back on classic survival horror ideas, and instead of making a full-blown return to the latter it took it and recontextualized some of those ideas to fit the former. Things like resource management and thoughtful enemy placement were of greater importance in TEW, whereas RE4 had some of that but ultimately had more of an action vibe where you worked your way through rooms of enemies to progress. TEW still does that but sometimes you shouldn't fight, sometimes it's better to run, sometimes you're low on ammo instead of having an attache case full of munitions and have to really scramble to find something that works or get good at hiding fast. If anything, I think TEW's worst moments are when it tries to go full RE4-style action like the first half of chapter 6 because to me it's far more successful at slowing things down, letting the player assess the situation and think of how best to manage through it rather than going full ham almost all the time.
>>
>>381156601
Back Bars are optional
>>
>>381155027
You'll either love it or hate it. It's my personal favorite horror game of all time. No other game does psychological dread so well.
>>
>>381155027
It's a terribly flawed across all fronts (gameplay, story, pacing, etc.) but it has its own weird flair and style to it that is somehow endearing.
>>
>>381156967
Really?

In that case, I'll give it another shot when I'm done playing RE4...For the nth time. The shotguns in that game have the best feel in all of vidya. Especially the pump action you get at the beginning.
>>
Am I the only one who kept the black bars?

Taking them off made me dizzy due in part to how wonky the camera followed Seb's running. Not to mention, it made the in-game to cutscene transitions a lot smoother.
>>
>>381157448
Got rid of the letterbox but kept the 30fps.
>>
>>381157448
I dunno. Personally the cinematic feel they were going for felt reduced with the black bars.
>>
>>381155027
It's worth watching the intro and playing though the first act.

After that it's RE4 2.0 and it's up to you if you enjoy that.
>>
I hope the sequel feels like its trailer. Like the idea of world's madness is actually wearing on the protagonist.
>>
I played it on my ps3 and all i remember incapacitating 1 guy then mass murdering everyone around him with a single match for the whole game.
Is every version like that?
>>
>>381156961
What? TEW had much more of an actionvibe than horror or survival, I felt more tense in some parts of RE4 than in TEW. You might get short on ammo but it's never really a problem, it's just so you think you're screwed but if there is going to be more enemies, you'll easily ifnd ammo scattered around.
Also you found so much scrap (that has no limit) that can be made into crossbow ammo.

When you get a Game Over in RE4, you get somewhat of a punishment.
TEW has so many checkpoints, it doesn't matter when you die. Probably because a lot of enemies have instant death moves and then there are traps (not the ones you can disarm but the stuff like spikes). It cheapens death/failure and honestly ruined the atmosphere for me since I didn't feel tense/"scared" or whatever.
I played the game a few months ago, expecting nothing and I didn't like it that much. I might get the DLC on sale since people say it's good and it seems the general consensus is that the game is a hit or miss.
It was already mentioned but the game is also a bit buggy.
The first time you fight the spiderlady, I got caught midair a few times.
>>
>>381158047

>What? TEW had much more of an actionvibe than horror or survival

Well, I do still ultimately think it's an action horror game, just one that takes classic survival horror ideas and tried to bring them into 2014 as it were.

>I felt more tense in some parts of RE4 than in TEW.

RE4 certainly had its moments but I think the majority of the game was like the castle part of chapter 6 in TEW, only good. I think it handled action much better than TEW did but for me, TEW was more compelling in the slower parts.

>When you get a Game Over in RE4, you get somewhat of a punishment. TEW has so many checkpoints, it doesn't matter when you die.

Because RE4 comes from a time before autosaves were a standard, an unfortunate detriment to TEW and really pulling off a horror game nowadays. The instadeath moments seem to be an answer to that for better or worse but it's probably harder to get away with a stiff save system like RE4's in 2014 compared to 2005, changing standards simply fucked that one up. If not in the developer's eyes then in the publisher's or perhaps even the modern lowest common denominator.

>I might get the DLC on sale since people say it's good and it seems the general consensus is that the game is a hit or miss.

The DLC is generally more stealth oriented but on average it's about as good as the better half of TEW, it's certainly nowhere near as inconsistent in quality and pacing.
>>
It's honestly not bad. Solid 6 or 7.
>>
>>381155693
>Horror game.
>Too edgy.

What substances are you taking tonight?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.