[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a more tragic, complex and interesting character in any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 10

File: hqdefault.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
Name a more tragic, complex and interesting character in any GTA game.
>Protip: You can't
>>
Literally just some nigger.
>>
Dumb nostalgia fag.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (3KB, 76x77px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
3KB, 76x77px
>>381112990
>>381113146
>>
>can take on different families of the mafia, russian mob, vietnamese gang, cartel/syndicate, FBI, US army, ballas, latino street gang, rednecks and OG Loc
>but has problems with a fucking corrupt street officer voiced by Samuel L Jackson
>>
>>381112804
GTA games are pretentious, there is nothing deep or complex about them.
>>
no other plot twist in any game has hit me as hard as what happened in GTA:SA
>>
>>381113232
To be fair Tenpenny was essentially in control of a lot of the gangs by the end of the game and couldn't even be touched by law enforcement.
>>
>>381113382
Which plot twist? The one where it turns out that Berkley was never real and Zero was just lonely and kept making excuses to spend some time together with CJ?
>>
Tenpenny did nothing wrong
>>
PLEASE TAKE THE BAG OFF I CAN'T BREATH PLEASE!
>>
>>381112804
Cool, I can repost my Franklin analysis.

Franklin is interesting because he’s a bit of a subversion. The normal trope for a black guy from the hood is that he wants to get out of it, and go completely straight, no crime whatsoever. Franklin's a subversion of this; he still wants to leave the hood behind, but not crime in general, just progress to higher-level crime. He has a few other aspects to his personality as well.

He's ambitious, which works as both a good aspect of his character and a character flaw: the good aspect is that he's a very action-oriented person; he's not the type to sit around and ask for handouts, he will work for what he wants and he will do whatever he has to do to get the job done because he wants to die having accomplished something. You can see this through the diverse roles he is given in the heists and the stunts he pulls in some of the missions, such as in the truck driving one where he climbs into the JB 700 while the truck is going full speed away from the cops. His ambition, combined with his naivete, has worked against him too; he's as foolhardy as Lamar in choosing who to work with, and his inexperience has led him to be taken advantage of multiple times. Yet his ambition still claws away at him, so he works and works anyway in the increasingly vain hope that he'll be compensated, whether it be through a payday or a true friend.

He's pragmatic and rational, and this is shown by him always taking the role of the straight man in the comedic moments of the storyline, whether it be in contrast to Michael, Trevor, Lamar, Tanisha, Tanya, and any of his other friends and the neutral party/middleman in the serious moments. When Lamar gets into trouble or does something stupid, when Michael and Trevor's bad blood interferes with the job, or when Stretch lets his aggression control him, Franklin is always the one who has to pick up the slack and control the situation, and he usually does so effectively.

Cont.
>>
File: Boxart-Franklin-GTAV.png (2MB, 1113x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Boxart-Franklin-GTAV.png
2MB, 1113x1280px
>>381114442
His pragmatism allows him to do those jobs effectively, and that is why he's so valued by Michael, Trevor, and Lamar; he's always someone to rely on. For Michael, Franklin is the only static crew member on Michael's heist crew (granted, I know that it's mostly because he's a playable character) but my point stands because canonically, Franklin has never failed a role Michael has put him in; only the other heist crew members can fail. Coupled with the fact that Franklin has never failed Michael when asked to aid Michael with family matters, and the fact that he was able to convince Trevor to reveal Michael was kidnapped and subsequently track down and save Michael by himself, he gains Michael's trust. He does almost the same thing for Trevor and the O'Neill's and that's partly why he has Trevor's trust. He saves Lamar multiple times using quick-thinking, and that's why they're a duo. His pragmatism and stoicism came off as "boring" to a lot of people, but I like it because his pragmatism gives him a reason to be in the story, and it gives him purpose. One of the reasons Franklin might hate Stretch is because Stretch never grew up much like Lamar, but he has none of Lamar's good qualities. Franklin might want to be pragmatic because it allows him to escape his problems through stoicism; he doesn't want to end up like Stretch, who sells out his fellow gang members over a grudge.

Cont. 2
>>
File: 2478164-2751857776.jpg (47KB, 497x640px) Image search: [Google]
2478164-2751857776.jpg
47KB, 497x640px
>>381114543
He was indeed gullible and naive, but what do you expect? Franklin, a former gangbanger and repo man who was previously imprisoned, and therefore only has experience with low-level crime, now has to deal with the struggle of helping to conduct operations of higher level crime by keeping the operation together, while dealing with the social manipulation of government agents and seasoned criminals, and keep his relationships somewhat stable at the same time. It's a lot to juggle, and quick and brash decisions need to be made due to the unpredictability of his friends. His only experience before the heists was a small robbery that failed due to dye packs, he never had a chance to learn otherwise, and now he has to deal with the likes of Steve Haines and Devin Weston, who run large operations and have connections, and are experienced in manipulating small time criminals. Franklin shows that he can figure out when something is shady, such as in The Long Stretch when Lamar sets up a deal with the Ballas and Franklin knows that something will go wrong; he gets involved with both Haines and Weston: Haines because of Michael's involvement with Dave Norton and Weston because of Michael handing him over to Weston in order to meet the director he admires so much. It's all a consequence of his ambition.

Cont. 3
>>
File: Franklin-and-GSF.GTAV.jpg (169KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Franklin-and-GSF.GTAV.jpg
169KB, 1280x720px
>>381114642
Another thing of note is that his character development is fairly stagnant besides him gaining experience in the ways of higher level crime. I actually don't think it's a bad thing because I feel that he was never meant to be THE main character or the focus of the story in the first place. Franklin's the outsider, in terms of his race, upbringing, experience, and in his status as the designated middleman. The neutral party. GTA 5's story is mainly about the bad blood between Michael and Trevor, and it's an attempt to tackle the dilemma of the relative importance of family vs. friends, albeit in a distinctly GTA fashion, and this is done through Michael's and Trevor's worldviews, which clash and they change as a result. They're volatile characters, and Franklin is not. Steve Haines and Devin Weston know this, he's the outsider, the observer, and that's why he's given the final choice. A static character is predictable, and that's why they don't have to worry about Franklin. He's static to Haines because he doesn't deviate from his assigned job, and he's static to Michael and Trevor because of the image he gave both of them: that he's unequivocally loyal. Since that is the case, they would not have any reason to suspect his betrayal, and Haines knows this too, that's why he asks Franklin to kill Trevor because Trevor knows Michael's character might shift again, so he will not let Michael "get close to him," while he thinks Franklin's static personality makes him a reliable friend, so Franklin is the only one who can get close to him.

Cont. 4
>>
File: Franklin dialogue 1.png (666KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Franklin dialogue 1.png
666KB, 1440x900px
>>381114735
Franklin seems to suffer from depression and suicidal tendencies, things he’s carried with him ever since the death of his mom. We can see those suicidal tendencies in the stuff he does during the missions to get the job done, his combat dialogue where he shouts out to his enemies to shoot him and that he wishes they would "book" him and get it over with, and in the weed smoking activity, where you apparently see that he blames himself for his mom's death to cocaine, and his aunt harassing him about it constantly doesn't help matters. His broken relationships in general have probably done a number on his self-esteem, and this doesn't change after the storyline's over; he's almost always alone in his "castle" in Vinewood Hills, so to speak. His ending is a lot different from CJ's that's for sure, which is interesting because they both essentially proved the same thing at the end of the story, their loyalty, yet Franklin comes out a lot worse, it's like another subversion Franklin shows, he defies the "hood loyalty=happiness for life" trope.

Cont. 5
>>
File: Franklin dialogue 2.png (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Franklin dialogue 2.png
1MB, 1440x900px
>>381114842
Franklin’s depression doesn’t seem like it’ll be cured, considering he was actually better than most of his “homies." Lamar is loyal but a dumbass who almost gets them both killed routinely, and only took the repo job because of Franklin, Denise is a supposed independent woman but has to share her rent with Franklin, kicks him out, and will take any handout she can get, as shown when she gleefully takes money from Trevor, and wants him to continue his gangbanging lifestyle to his detriment, Tanisha is supposedly a good woman yet ditches Franklin to go off with a doctor, and then proceeds to rag on Franklin for not being loyal to Lamar, Stretch is a volatile person stuck in the past who repeatedly tries to have both Franklin and Lamar killed, and Tanya and her boyfriend are both crackheads who offload their work to Franklin as soon as opportunity arises. Franklin was the only one in his hood who wanted to make something of himself on his own terms by his own plans, he succeeded, and was subsequently criticized by his homies for reaping the benefits of his success. I don't know about you, but if I was Franklin, I would want to stay away from his homies too, yet he never completely does; he's always there to save Lamar when he needs help even though he knows Lamar is a bad influence, and that's loyalty.

Stuff like this is why I think GTA V has so much potential in terms of its characters. Even after writing this, I still feel a bit disappointed. You'll notice that my paragraph on Franklin's depression is quite short. I would have loved to expand on it, but there just wasn't enough material to work with (both of those screenshots are from The Long Stretch, which happens to be my favorite mission), although I might just be lazy. The Long Stretch is like the 9th mission in the story mode. If I just had more, I could have written at least 2 or 3 posts more on it.
>>
>>381113584
>Berkley was never real and Zero was just lonely and kept making excuses to spend some time together with CJ
What? I don't remeber that
>>
File: download.jpg (1KB, 65x97px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
1KB, 65x97px
the og nigga
>>
File: 1480541035188.jpg (69KB, 678x590px) Image search: [Google]
1480541035188.jpg
69KB, 678x590px
>>381114442
>>381114543
>>381114642
>>381114735
>>381114842
>>381115003
>>
>>381115489
Weaponized autism.
>>
>>381116451
Nobody cares when people do this for a Japanese game or Fallout New Vegas or games like that. In fact, it's encouraged, So I thought it would be nice if I did it for a Western one which nobody believes is capable of complexity. What's wrong with that?
>>
>>381112804
>tragic
Not really. His mom died and that's about it.

>complex
>tired of gang banging
>wants to make big money
Not really complex either.

>interesting
He's just a pretty generic black guy from the hood who wants to make it big. Not too interesting.

I would say Niko Bellic is easily the most tragic, complex, and interesting GTA character. Hell even side characters in IV are more interesting than CJ.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.