[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there atheists in fantasy games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 28

File: 1481264039103.jpg (134KB, 899x1327px) Image search: [Google]
1481264039103.jpg
134KB, 899x1327px
In games you can call upon a gods wrath quite easily and openly, why are there still atheists?
>>
>>381080724

Because though they are mighty, they are not worthy of worship.
If you believe might is the same as divinity you are being led astray.
>>
the way I see atheism in fantasy games is people who understand how devoted you have to be in order for a god to have significant sway in your life and know they don't have the willpower to achieve that status
>tl;dr it's too hard to get a god's favor so they don't bother
>>
File: murder suicide when.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
murder suicide when.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>381080724
who could be behind this?
>>
>>381080957
That's why U stopped believing in God.

>Tfw went through alot of shit
>Prayed all the time for something anything to help
>Doesn't happen
>Say fuck you god
>I fix everything myself
>>
Mask of the betrayer did that so fucking right.
>>
>>381080724
Because there will always be people who will deny something exists even though everything else says otherwise.
For example : ______________
>>
>>381080724
Because even retards exist in fantasy worlds
>>
Retardation

Especially if you're an atheist in Faerun
>>
>>381081092
The key difference is in fantasy settings miracles are fairly common and you're likely to witness one firsthand at least once in your life as long as you're surrounded by faithful people
>>381081150
you bastard
>>
File: d.jpg (13KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
13KB, 259x194px
>>381080814
ok that makes sense, have not thought about it that way.
but obviously does not apply to each game.
>>
Because fantasy games rarely display clever writing or world-building.
They slap in gods because mythology and that is how mythology works, then they slap in whatever real, contemporary world bullshit issue they think will resonate with the player because they assume the player to be a moron.

Good worldbuilding is incredibly rare in genre fiction.
>>
>>381081550
spend too much in world building, and people tend to sleep on the scene

its hard to do it subtly
>>
>>381080724
Just because a god exists doesn't mean you have to have faith in it. So, you can still be an atheist.
>>
File: Oedipus-E-Hillemacher.jpg (863KB, 1024x785px) Image search: [Google]
Oedipus-E-Hillemacher.jpg
863KB, 1024x785px
>>381081150
>for example: pic related
>>
>>381081653
>spend too much in world building, and people tend to sleep on the scene
Good world-building has absolutely nothing to do with the actual pace or tempo of the fiction: that is really the least of an issue.
There is a different problem, mostly in literature, which is the fact that stories that focus heavily on world-building tend to be bad, because the generated world tends to be too constrictive to conduce a good plot, or the plot is simply an afterthought. But that really usually isn't the issue with games.

The real problem especially in games - possibly the SINGLE MOST WORLD-BUILDING SUITED medium in the fucking universe, the only one where you can get away with good world-building and bad plot - is that it's hard, requires a lot of imagination, and a lot of literary education, a lot of research, and a lot of risk taking.
>>
File: portrait_thaos_lg.png (129KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
portrait_thaos_lg.png
129KB, 210x330px
>>381080724
>>
>>381081721
Actually, it's even worse. If gods exist, FAITH is uneccessary completely. It's an irony of fantasy genre build like this, especially when it features complex religions, akin to say, Christian church, that complex religion exists PRECISELY BECAUSE GODS DON'T. And that is not some fedora-tipping meme, I don't thing this actually in any way discredits the institution.
But it's a fact: religion fills up a certain void that in a world where gods would exist would not be necessary. Faith most certainly would not be.
>>
>>381080724
because the gods are assholes
by actively believing in them, you are only enabling their bullshit
>>
>>381080724
Maybe some people really dont give a fug
The word you are looking for is gnosticism kid
>>
>>381081341
But in a fantasy setting normal humans can be magically adept so miracles can easily be dismissed as "oh, a wizard did it"
>>
>>381081942
Thaos is abotu the farthest you can get from an atheist tho
>>
>>381081985
I have to disagree, if Zeus was real, and was actually blasting dudes with lightning bolts wouldn't you want him blasting the baddies and not yourself?
would there not be schools devoted to finding the best ways to encourage Zeus to blast baddies and please him so he protects you from being blasted by the other gods?
>>381082268
isn't there usually some effort to differentiate between godly intervention and just pulling energy out of the aether/ley lines?
and if not, isn't that bad worldbuilding?
>>
>>381082057
>god physically manifests in front of you and fucks you in the ass
>"REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this isn't actually real!"
>proceed to get god-dicks shoved down your ass
>>
>>381080724
Because atheists are inherently so stupid that they're not capable of grasping obvious truths.
>>
>>381082392
>I have to disagree, if Zeus was real, and was actually blasting dudes with lightning bolts wouldn't you want him blasting the baddies and not yourself?
Sure.
Also, it a lord holding a nearby castle has a considerable army, I'd rather him using to raid enemies and not me. And I'd even probably make some "sacrifice" - perhaps offer him part of my food stockpile to do so. Perhaps if he spoke a different language, I'd devote time and people to learn how to talk with him etc...
Does that mean I'd consider him divine? Fuck no.

This is not really how religion works. This is a deal, with something that is just a mundane (if relevant and important) part of your life. Religion IS rooted in pragmatic though, but not in pragmatic deal with the mundane. The whole concept of sacred is predicated on the assumption that what I know about the world from immediate, empiric experience is not actually all, there is more to it.

The only actual solution and perhaps a more sensible answer than the idea that in a world where gods were real, no faith would exist, is the answer that in a world where "gods" were really, they would no longer be considered Gods, and humans would instead invent new "fictional" (it's not really just fiction, there is more to an idea of god of course) ones and worship those.
>>
File: 1497715258319.gif (73KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
1497715258319.gif
73KB, 189x189px
>>381082606
>Atheists are too stupid to know Allah is real
Gets me everytime
>>
In some games, unbelief is a power in itself.
>>
>>381081092
See, you, like many many others, made the mistake in thinking God will just give you anything you pray for. Accept anything that happens to you, and pray you have the strength to endure. The rewards lies in the afterlife
>>
Name ONE game where deities openly show themselves to fuck shit up and there are still atheists.
>>
>>381082319
Iovara for other part...
>>
>>381083365
Not really, she know the god do exist, and want to share the knowledge.

Its more like a if gods are created are they true god in the moral font kind of way
>>
File: 1406394698345823852385.jpg (197KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1406394698345823852385.jpg
197KB, 1920x1080px
>>381083365
Are there any other games that allow me to break atheists?
>>
>>381083236
Oblivion, forget which town she lives in though. Though it's meant to make fun of the concept rather than be played seriously.
>>
>>381080724
Just because a God exist, doesn't mean I'd believe in him.
>>
>>381083636
>god
>lives in a town
??
>>
>>381083141
>afterlife meme

The best you can hope is reincarnation, otherwise, there is no proof of afterlife
>>
>>381083141
>The rewards lies in the afterlife
No it doesn't, assuming Christians turn out to be right. AFAIK I won't be saved just by praying because salvation requires you to believe in the trinity of god.
>>
What's the difference between a God and an epic-level Wizard, for example?

Sure they can warp reality and perform miracles, but so can high level Wizards, Clerics and Druids.

To a Lv.1 random peasant there doesn't seem to be much difference to me.
>>
>>381083506
>Gods aren't actually Gods, just super powerful souls! Don't pray for them.
>Please listen to the fucktard trapped in Limbo because she tips her fedora so hard she can't be reincarnated.
She does fit it to a T.
>>
File: Renewed Faith.png (124KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Renewed Faith.png
124KB, 223x311px
>>381083794
The most recent magic set has five gods walking and living among the people of the plane
The ultimate honor of the people living on this plane is to be personally killed by one of these gods in particular
it's weird
>>
>>381082848
Allah is meta-real.
>>
>>381082754
>Does that mean I'd consider him divine? Fuck no.
>Religion IS rooted in pragmatic though, but not in pragmatic deal with the mundane. The whole concept of sacred is predicated on the assumption that what I know about the world from immediate, empiric experience is not actually all, there is more to it.

I was about to agree with you, but I'm not sure to be honest. For example, the ancient Norse considered their gods to exist among them and affect their mundane lives every day with their divine blessing.

Regardless of how many thunderbolts you witnessed a day or number of harvested crops, wouldn't it all still simply boil down to a question of faith? Not all gods in religion are considered equal. Some of them are considered more "divine" or sacred than others, while some are simple folktales and mythos.

You can consider your daily life experience "divine" with or without facing any comparative miraculous phenomenom.
>>
>>381084376
it is the believing man's fetish
>>
File: wizard.jpg (92KB, 649x647px) Image search: [Google]
wizard.jpg
92KB, 649x647px
>>381080724

How can you tell the difference between a god and a sufficiently powerful wizard?
>>
>>381080724
Knowing gods exist =/= believing in them/worshipping them
>>
>>381083236
Runescape
>>
>>381081069
>leather fedora
Badass!
>>
>>381084478
>the ancient Norse considered their gods to exist among them and affect their mundane lives every day with their divine blessing.
Sure. Shintoists in Japan (which despite the pools are actually a practical majority of the population) still kinda-sorta-believe that.
But that is the problem: what does it mean to "believe" and what does it mean to be "real". And I think those things are a lot more complicated than it initially seems.

I think the concept of religion is not a misunderstanding of reality of the world. It's actually much more sophisticated - it's an abstraction of reality: a meta-reality if you want. People did not believe in gods because they were "filling in the gaps in their knowledge of real world", but precisely because their knowledge was pretty good, to a point where they "distilled" it into an abstract ideal. The fun thing about it is that despite being abstract and idea, it's also deeply rooted in reality, and that is why you assume it's always applying to you, and why you embrace codified rituals or "shorthand thoughts" to make it a part of daily lives.

The whole point, however, it's to figure out a "meta-reality", something it is rooted in, but at the same time IS MORE than reality.

A "real" fantasy god, no matter how powerful, is just reality. It's not an abstraction, it's not placed outside of pragmatic experience, and therefor it's not really divine. No more than actual animal or a human being.

Which is why I really think, if Thor was just a guy next door, people would invent fictional god to explain why Thor exist, and ultimately worship that fictional diety (maybe by proxy by worshiping Thor, just like people in Egypt worshiped Apsis THROUGH a physical being, a sacred bull.
But the BULL was not really the god. It was a proxy for a god. And in a world where powerful creatures like Thor exist, the being would be - at absolute best - proxies for real god that is something else than the dude with the lightning hammer.
>>
File: 1497716526313m.jpg (48KB, 995x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1497716526313m.jpg
48KB, 995x1024px
>>381081550
Before runescape 3, Prayer in game felt like an actual religion.
You even had these buffs that were completely invisible and made you unsure if they even worked. But you kept faith they did, you couldn't notice a clear difference for the most part.
The gods were brought in partially by choice if one cared to quest and read dialogue, it wasn't all PowerPointed in the beginning like a slideshow
>>
>>381084967
Sounds like an interesting approach.
>>
>>381080814
What about drooling retards who were proven beyond doubt that the gods exist and yet insist that they aren't real?

>>381080724
Mask of the Betrayer's story is centered around the fate of people who reject worshipping gods, you should give it a go.
>>
>>381085473
fugg, forgot pic
>>
>>381080724
They are like the flat-earthers of the in-game world
>>
>>381083531
Isn't releasing her soul to the cycle the worst you can do to her?
>>
>>381085473
I always wondered in the MotB universe, do the gods accept people just worshipping them out of fear?

Like "I don't actually feel much admiration for you but if I don't pick one of you to worship I'm gonna get stuck in the Wall of the Faithless so I'll worship you so I don't get fucked for all eternity"
>>
>>381085526
But she was right, because the gods weren't really gods, just powerful beings created by man. Might as well call Skynet in the Terminator series a god.
>>
>>381085692
Gods need worship juice, so yes.
The thing that never made sense to me was that in a universe with easily confirmed afterlives, why anyone would choose to follow a god with a shitty one.

Like evil gods should have one hell of a difficult time getting converts
>so what happens after I die
>you get turned into a demon slime and bullied for eternity
>let me just back away slowly
>>
>>381082429
gods are powered by belief you cuck
enjoy giving power to the gods while they fuck your wife
>>
>>381085901
She also cries like a bitch when you delete her soul because she won't feel smarter that everybody else.
>>
>>381086253
I don't think anyone would be happy about having their soul deleted.
>>
>Black and White
>literally pick people up with your divine hand
>"Go ahead! Do your worst! I don't believe in YOU!"

What the fuck does that even mean
>>
File: you goofed.gif (45KB, 468x240px) Image search: [Google]
you goofed.gif
45KB, 468x240px
>>381086330
Dunno about that game, but if I was stuck in some shitty circle of reincarnation setting where 99% of your lives involve being a dirt farming peasant over and over I'd beg for my soul to be deleted
>>
>>381086597
So... you are basically a Buddhist then?
>>
People ask me all the time whether I'm atheist or agnostic
What's the actual name for when I don't give a single shit about God(s) or religion in general?
>>
>>381086330
I don't think most people would like to be stuck in limbo for eternity either, but there she is.
Her soul is already stuck outside the circle of death and rebirth for her refusal to accept the Gods, so why not allowing your soul to be deleted and actually be free of the whole thing?
But she refuses, because she wants afirmation of her being better than everybody else.
>>
>>381087069
Atheist: believes that god/s do not exist
Agnostic: believes that it's impossible to know or make a conclusion about existence of a god.
Person who does not give a shit: a person who does not give a shit.

You don't have to be either agnostic, atheist or theist. Those are not actually the only options. Just tell them that you don't know and you don't care.
>>
>>381086253
>>381086330
From what I remember she wants her soul to be baleeted, she only really loses her shit when you tell her you're freeing her soul and make her forget what she learned. (Which imo is the pinnacle of petty fedore autism.)
The gods are man-made, deal with it you cunt, it won't change anything about them or the world you live in.
>>
>>381087648
>Which imo is the pinnacle of petty fedore autism.
Consider this:
She lives in a world full of monsters, undead abominations, were altering the soul of people is seen as a normal thing to do, where the city police is planning to bind souls to armors so they can have robocops and people created a divine nuke.
And the most important shit to her is the fact the Gods are artificial.
How can somebody like this cunt?
>>
>>381086102
Depends on the setting
>>
File: 1448263209445.png (359KB, 1102x382px) Image search: [Google]
1448263209445.png
359KB, 1102x382px
>>381084564
You're incorrectly assuming there is a difference
>>
>>381087069
agnostic
>>
Same reason there are atheists on the discworld.

The gods need a target to keep their aim sharp.
>>
>>381087069
Agnostic is the 4chan way. It pisses off the most number of people.
>>
>2017
>some still do not grasp that heaven and hell is about your life here and now
>>
>>381088207
I think she just loved being a cult leader too much and at the end of the day it was all about stroking her ego.
Facing the truth that her message isn't the most important thing in the world was worse than death for her.
>>
>>381087069
Atheism literally means "lack of faith", so I'd say that fits the bill, but it's one of those terms people tend to have different interpretations of. Depending on where you live it'd probably be less of a hassle to say you're agnostic (Or maybe just say you don't care)
>>
>>381089681
Oh yeah, people who don't accept your convenient and scepticist-conforming reading of religion are all stupid.
>>
>>381080724
Moses and Jesus did the same and yet people try to deny the existence of God in real life too. It just shows how ignorant people are.
>>
>>381090164
anon, that was a long fucking time ago and you can't exactly verify the veracity of those stories through modern textual criticism
they're hardly the same
>>
>>381090164
Why didn't Jesus descend during modern times where there would be cameras to record and provide definite proof?
>>
Someone redpill me on religion, please. Having grown up in a fairly secular environment it honestly seems mad to me. Barring some sort of supernatural experience, how do you convince yourself that there is a higher power out there? The whole idea of faith just seems so counter-intuitive to how the rest of society works. If I told anyone I believed in unicorns I'd get laughed at, at least without convincing evidence, but literally billions believe in some manner of unseen all-powerful creator who "works in mystic ways". I'd say the latter sounds a lot more implausible than a horned horse, but I guess that's not the case?
>>
In fantasy games you usually end up punching a god or two in the dick.

It's kinda hard to believe that fag that you just murdered, is an omnipotent creator of all that exists.
>>
>>381080724
What game has both gods and atheists in them?

In most fantasy game with gods, characters aren't atheist -- they merely choose not to worship.
>>
File: level cap.jpg (78KB, 544x960px) Image search: [Google]
level cap.jpg
78KB, 544x960px
>>381080724
I'd assume it has more to do with denying them worship than literally not believing that they exist.
Remember that in a lot of settings and real life divine power is connected to belief and veneration. If no one believes in you, you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>381091118
You would believe it if you were indoctrinated from birth.
>>
>>381091118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w

t;'dw it doesn't matter if God exists, clean your fucking room and kill the snake inside your psyche.
>>
>>381080724
Because atheists think those are just very powerful ancient beings, not omnipotent Gods.

The fact many of those Gods can be killed kind proves that the atheists are right.
>>
>>381091342
This.

Like, exactly what would compel people the likes of Bayonetta, Kratos, or Asura to "believe" and worship deities they could beat in fist fights? Yes, they deities may physically exist, but their claim of absolute power behind the workings of the universe become a bit sketchy if their lowly creations can murder them.
>>
>>381080724
Gods like having something to aim at.
>>
>>381091118
I was never big into religion as a kid (and did the "fuck you dad" edgy atheism thing) but I can't help but feel that the supernatural is a real thing and that there's more to the world than mundane shit. I haven't had any deep spiritual experiences or philosophical epiphanies though.
>>
>>381091954
>Like, exactly what would compel people the likes of Bayonetta,

Bayonetta is a nun though.
>>
>>381091954
In settings where you can literally beat up gods those gods don't usually claim to be the creator god.
Polytheists (i.e. Japs) don't really go out for the whole "all-powerful, all-knowing, all-encompassing" thing, gods are just beings that are much more powerful than the average mortal.
>>
>>381092145
A nun who uppercutted God into the sun. I can't think of a better statement of Atheism.
>>
>>381080724
Which games are you talking about, OP?
>>
>>381091118
When you think about it anon, there's probably a whole lot of shit in the world you've never actually seen for yourself, nor have you seen any proper evidence for it; because it's never occurred to you or anyone around you to even question such things. Animals you've never seen, people you've never met, places you've never been, etc. Although you could easily prove the existence of those things without too much effort, unlike religion, but why would you ever bother when you have no reason to question it?
>>
>>381092485
Jubileus isn't god though. She believes in the judeo-christian god.
>>
>>381080724
Why do people believe in religion in real life, when it's obviously wrong?
>>
>>381092657
It's so obviously right that you just take it for granted unconsciously.
>>
>>381092597
Thing is that you can go prove to yourself that, say, Italy exists with relative ease. It's reproducible, so if you take a plane to Rome you'll get off and see Rome. If you take some drugs or meditate or something, you may or may not see what other people see. You can't reliably reproduce supernatural experiences so if your worldview is pure empiricism then supernatural shit goes straight out the window.
>>
>>381092657
It's comfy to some and the adoration of a parental figure is inherently programed to almost all sentient creatures we know. Humanity's version is simply turned up to 11 with the super saiyan parent that is all knowing and perfect. So all its philosophical flaws and mistakes get ignored for that sweet sweet surrender into obliviousness.

There's nothing wrong with that, billions of people have lived and died with their beliefs firmly intact since time immemorial, it's only when they get in the way of reason that they become the evil they purport to defend from.
>>
>>381092986
But you can prove easily that god exists. God is the abstraction of absolute authority. Anyone who's had half a life knows that if you piss authority off you'll be fucked. One of the first things a child learns is that when you try to go behind one of your parent's back and go to the other parent for permission you're going to get sent to your goddamn room.
>>
>>381090580
Instead of the Bible, Christian scripture would be terrible Facebook posts
>>
>>381092657
Because to believe in any religion rarely requires you to deny what's happening right in front of you.
>>
>>381091757
Wow. I did not expect anyone to post fucking Jordan Peterson here. At least - not anything that is not directly aimed at SJW's and political correctness.

>>381091118
>>381092657
Watch the video if you really want to know a little more. Religion is... quite a fascinating concept and it's a LOT more sensible and pragmatic than it seems. But it's not exactly simple to explain.

One of the biggest issues with religion is that most people don't really understand it very well. Including those who do believe, mind you. In fact, I think it's nearly impossible to understand religion IF you are a believer. Not that you need to understand it though.
It's a very old and very deeply rooted way to conceptualize the world around you, and a very old and very deeply rooted way to regulate one's individual and social behavior. You can view it as a specific type of language, more than anything. One that to us is difficult to understand.
For us atheists and especially modern day atheist accustomed to paradoxically very shallow and simple way of looking at world it does seem counter-intutive, but it's actually us who are weird in this regard. Religion will almost certainly always hold prim as go-to universal way of viewing the world. Probably for good reasons.

We tend to view only the literal part of it. But mostly, it's a symbolic language, a set of psychological or protopsychological notions that genuinely tend to help people get along in their daily lives on a larger scale. Not just moral guidelines, but motivational, perceptual ones too. People abstracted their experience from real life - and projected them into set of stories and abstract figures to make them easier to communicate and remember. And that is basically it, as far as I'm concerned.
>>
File: 1497495501697.png (49KB, 233x213px) Image search: [Google]
1497495501697.png
49KB, 233x213px
>>381093450
Yeah there are proofs for God's existence but that's not really what I'm getting at. You can't take a picture of God, or any of the lesser gods, or of demons and angels, or any of that shit. There's nowhere you can go and be guaranteed to see something supernatural or experience something transcendent. That's not the way it works.

>>381093431
It's as much an outgrowth of filial piety as it is hero-worship or reverence for nature or anything else.
>>
>>381080724
Mandatory diversity in the gameforce
>>
>>381092038
I can understand having the vague feeling that there should be more to life. It's human nature to look for meaning. It's a far cry from that to "this specific interpretation of this specific holy book is the one true word of God", which is what I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.
>>381092597
>why would you ever bother when you have no reason to question it?
But I do have reason to question it: It doesn't sound like it could be real. I'm willing to believe that black swans exist, despite never having seen one, in part because the idea of a black swan doesn't sound unreasonable. I know that animal species within the same family can have different colours, and I know that black is a common colour for animals to have, so the possibility of black swans sounds reasonable. Most religious faiths are so detached from a modern view of how the world works that I find it difficult not to dismiss it as a superstition of the times.
>>
File: did nothing wrong.jpg (249KB, 611x625px) Image search: [Google]
did nothing wrong.jpg
249KB, 611x625px
>>381093918
That doesn't mean shit, all you said was that it has guidlines but those rules are so outdated and trash compared to modern society morals.

>it's just cuz ur an athiest!
people just being dumb and stupid as usual
>>
>>381094224
>those rules are so outdated and trash compared to modern society morals.
I'm not here to proselytize especially since I don't even have a concrete supernatural worldview but let's not say dumb shit like that
>>
File: 1493759010000.jpg (133KB, 809x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1493759010000.jpg
133KB, 809x1181px
>>381080724
Atheists in fantasy games aren't people who dont believe in god/s.
They just refuse to worship any of them.
>>
File: jane role playing the baby.jpg (74KB, 607x608px) Image search: [Google]
jane role playing the baby.jpg
74KB, 607x608px
>>381094334
>modern morals and dumb
>wants to go back to the age of 'superior' guidelines

here's your free slave girl that you can rape, just make sure to marry her afterwards so you can still get into heaven
>>
>>381080724
people could be wrong when they say magic comes from a god. like in dark souls, faith magic is just normal ass magic but many believe it comes from the gods
>>
>>381094514
How old are you?
>>
>>381093942
>You can't take a picture of God, or any of the lesser gods, or of demons and angels, or any of that shit.

No, but I can throw a snake into a chimp enclosure and figure out why the greatest evil in Christian mythology appears as a fucking snake.

Everything religion tells you is so integral to human existence and development that you simply hold it as true on an unconscious level, and by ignoring religion all you're doing is rejecting a tool used to recognize reality.

>>381094514
>live in the second century AD
>rape a woman
>definitely no other women wants you now because you've outed yourself as a fucking loser who isn't successful enough to get sex any other way
>woman isn't wanted now because no man can guarantee that her child will be his
>if you don't get married the child will probably go unsupported and die and so neither of you will propagate your genetics into the future
>so you get married
>implying all of this isn't completely logical code of conduct based on circumstances that had effectively existed for millions of years
>implying this doesn't maximize survival for everyone involved

You dumb my dude.
>>
>>381093918
I understand the societal benefits religion can give, but I don't see how those practical applications translate to people having actual faith. Are you suggesting people subconsciously overlook faith's incongruence with modern ideas of empiricism because of its usefulness?
>>
>>381094224
>That doesn't mean shit, all you said was that it has guidlines but those rules are so outdated and trash compared to modern society morals.
Some of them are.
Then again, how are those SJW's and modern leftist laws working out very well for us. Secularism is no fucking guarantee of better guidelines than anything else. We have seen some insanely bad secularist movement over the past century and half, and we are dealing with a rise of one right now. So really, the trust in modern models is exactly rooted in pragmatic experience right now.

>it's just cuz ur an athiest!
Actually, it's because you are an idiot. I'm an atheist, and I can still make sense of this.
>>
File: 1404974645434.gif (189KB, 610x504px) Image search: [Google]
1404974645434.gif
189KB, 610x504px
>>381095128
>No, but I can throw a snake into a chimp enclosure and figure out why the greatest evil in Christian mythology appears as a fucking snake.
Oh yeah, there's a reason every culture fucking hates snakes. All the symbolism and moral structures and shit are there for a reason, I'm just explaining why people who hold a materialistic view of the world have a difficult time understanding supernatural stuff. It feels pretentious to say but their perception is limited.
>>
>>381095391
>but I don't see how those practical applications translate to people having actual faith.
There are people (one of them posted in this thread) that can make a much better explanation of this process than I ever could. But the main point is that the faith itself is a core drive of those societal benefits. They are not just societal, actually, they are often individual, which then translates into broader societal application (although this might not be true of every faith equally).

>Are you suggesting people subconsciously overlook faith's incongruence with modern ideas of empiricism because of its usefulness?
Yes. Thought it is a question of how you interpret the individual faith: there are very many religious people who do not see any incongruence with modern ideas of empiricism - there are actually several members of my nations Circle of Sisyphus, which is a radical sceptic club of prominent scientists and philosophers promoting rationality, empiricism and scientific perspective, that are also actual Christians. The number of religious people among high-profile empiric scientists is surprisingly high. This is simply possible because the degree of incongruence you see depends on the particular interpretation of the religious dogma.

The other thing to keep in mind is the fact modern ideas of empiricism are very young and their actual full benefits are not exactly entirely clear yet. While classical mythological perspective is literally as old as humanity and got us pretty far.
BOTH are tool-like theories, more importantly. We use one or another depending on which benefits us. So actually, if religion was really just dramatically more beneficial than modern secular empricism, I think it would be ENTIRELY justified to pick the religious perspective. Usefulness IS ultimately all that matters.

It's not, as far as we know. Modern secular empricism offers some pretty fucking amazing benefits too. But it's not the be-all-end-all way to look at world.
>>
>>381094891
I'm pretty sure age does not matter when you are a pure shitposter.
>>
>>381095391
Faith is equatable to an ideal. Empiricism can only give you information, not a metric by which to evaluate that information and utilize it to good effect.

>>381095423
>It feels pretentious to say but their perception is limited.

It seems significantly more pretentious for someone to think that their perception is unlimited and that stories which have existed for thousands of years have nothing of value to offer.
>>
>>381080724
Not to prove any point, but some universes do fuck up with atheists
>The Elder Scrolls
>Dwemer
>Basically underground elves
>Could use telepathy
>Put all their effort on technology
>In the sands of time, their people forgot the purpose of divine respect
>became atheists and mocked religion
>Being on their own and isolated underground, they couldn't witness the very few instances that god DO exist in this world
>The whole race fucking disappear after one decided to fuck around with GODLIKE ARTIFACTS after the Chimer turned against them
>A sole survivor survived because he was in a demonic plane
>>
>>381096456
This is weird. To see a rabid Petersonist on this place of all possible ones.

Did you know he actually talks about this site briefly in one of his videos?
>>
>>381080724
Trump is more powerful than you
He could call up multiple nukes at any time for any or no reason and end the world.
You can respect him, or even worship him.
You could even try praying to him.
Write a book about him.
He's still not a god.
>>
File: so innocent and pure.png (12KB, 105x225px) Image search: [Google]
so innocent and pure.png
12KB, 105x225px
>>381080724
>every game has gods
>>
>>381096902
I actually didn't, his archive of videos is pretty large and I've been trying to work my way through. Where was this?
>>
>>381080724
Why would there be atheists in a world where the effects of the gods can be objectively observed and measured?
>>
>>381096940
God or not-god doesn't really hinge on power though.
In a lot of ancient societies your neighborhood or apartment building would have its own patron god. Obviously he wasn't very powerful but you still venerated him.
>>
File: 235235626236.png (180KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
235235626236.png
180KB, 265x370px
>>381084376
しかし...!
>>
>>381096329
>>381096456
This is interesting stuff. I'll have to check out that yotube video later. Cheers, anons.
>>
>>381097013
>his archive of videos is pretty large
Used to be about 500 hours of materials back even before he exploded in September last year.

I'm gonna try look it up, it's during one of his Qn'A sessions and it's very brief. He just talks about the necessity to speak truth and speak it loudly and mentions that anonymousness is not beneficial in this. He says something like "Don't go to 4chan to speak truth. You have to be able to stand behind it, you can't do it anonymously. If you are talking anonymously, you are not speaking the truth." or something like that. It's an understandable point.

While I'm looking for it, have Peterson on Cocaine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_4UFMp19tE
>>
>>381083531
She wants to stay there, let her. Who cares?
>>
>>381091118
Religion is whatever your parents force on you as a kid.
>>
>>381097773
If you're still stuck in the mindset of the rebellious teenager, then yeah
>>
>Why are there people who aren't Hindu when cows exist and literally walk among us
>Clearly they must be the only true religion, one of their sacred things is actually alive and present everywhere
>>
File: 1453448726739.png (28KB, 186x208px) Image search: [Google]
1453448726739.png
28KB, 186x208px
>>381080724
The concepts that we associate with gods aren't necessarily a package deal.

Maybe they accept that there are omnipotent beings, but they didn't create the world.

Maybe they believe that the gods are omniscient and are listening to our prayers, but don't believe in the afterlife.

etc
>>
>>381097429
I can see the point, but I can't say I can agree with him on that. On the contrary, I'd say the ultimate way to speak the truth is anonymously, it removes reader bias from the equation.

It's like when someone makes an argument but gives the context at the end rather than the beginning. It can make you question the way you think and your initial presuppositions.
>>
>>381098269
>I can see the point, but I can't say I can agree with him on that.
The comment was pretty clearly aimed the problem of political correctness in the context (still can't find it, by the way, still looking. it's a lot of material). And I think the point is that the argument WILL have more impact if you make it non-anonymously, and stressing out that people need to stop hiding from consequences of their actions.
Which does make sense. The condition of truthfulness (in the sense he likes to use it, which is more than validity) is that you are willing to stand up for your belief and face the consequences.
If you post anonymously, then the consequences are mostly dodged, and that both reduces the impact of what you are saying, and it just makes your entire claim in question. If it's not something you can actually stand up for yourself, without hiding, why should we consider it really honest?

Or something like that.
Obviously, I did not exactly take that advice to heart myself. Though I also generally tend to avoid discussing politics here, and I think he mainly aimed it at political discussion.
>>
>>381098269
Found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32tjtRRkVO8
5.27 and onward.
I have to watch the whole thing, it looks very interesting. His material really expanded since the SJW controversy - I used to know most of his work back in the day he was relatively unknown, but man, he has a LOT of new speeches and lectures.
I just hope the popularity and certain appeal to /pol/ types does not eventually turn into a caricature.
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.