[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on air vents in games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: vamp348fcf.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vamp348fcf.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
Thoughts on air vents in games?
>>
"We're too lazy to design the level so here's a bunch of vents to dupe you into thinking that our game has non-linearity. We call it the Deus Ex approach"
>>
They scare me because I always think that a creepy monster will pop up
>>
>>381044247
killed human revolution for me
>>
>>381042812
A very good example of fake longevity and bad level design. Hell I would call it bad game design altogether.
>>
File: 438199859[1].jpg (14KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
438199859[1].jpg
14KB, 280x210px
>>381042812
A classic staple of FPS level design. Best used for overhearing conversations and getting behind guards. They're great when used sparingly but can be a little tedious to navigate when overused.
>>
Almost as bad as sewers
>>
File: ONI.jpg (287KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
ONI.jpg
287KB, 1366x768px
>>381042812
>air pump wont work cause somewhere across the spaghetti mess of pipes is improperly connected
its pretty much an excuse to add a difficulty curve to the gameplay
>>
>>381042812
Depends on the game. MG2 uses ducts and stuff pretty well.
>>
>>381042812
I am a T.A.B Tech and everytime I see this shit in games, I get triggered.
>>
>>381044247
>>381044668
Woah why all the hate
I loved that shit, the air vents DID make levels non linear. And it was only one option, those games had several different options. Its a realistic approach to the stealth gameplay
>>
>>381048547
>Its a realistic approach to the stealth gameplay
Do you imagine IRL spies crawling in air ducts?
>>
>>381044247
Original DX did have nonlinearity, and the not-overly-common vents did actually help. The reason they didn't work in HR and MD is that there was never any cost to finding the vent. In the original DX, you often had to use a lockpick, or a multitool to use a vent, so it wasn't the obvious alternative to sneaking or fighting. Flawless level design.
>>
File: robber.jpg (21KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
robber.jpg
21KB, 700x525px
>>381049321
Hi, I have nonlinear levels that make DEx look like a babby, yet I have exact 0 vents. You have to find my secret passages by being observant and attentive. I'm a great game.
>>
>>381042812
Pretty sure vents would be dirty as all fuck.
>>
>>381049637
Different design goals. DX wanted to allow you to approach obstacles in a multitude of ways, depending on your playstyle and the solutions you could come up with, including crawling through vents, or just shooting everyone on the level. Thief is a stealth game that rewards exploration and smart use of the game's tools and systems. I personally prefer Deus Ex, but there was obviously impeccable design behind Thief as well.

I don't know why Thief/DX/SS2 fans would insist on deriding fellow Immersive Sims from Looking Glass Studios et al, when we have mutual enemies in modern gaming. Like, you know, practically all of it.
>>
I like air vents in Underrail
>stealth knife build
>group of enemies in a building
>cant get past unnoticed
>hey its the friendly neigborhoor air vent
>open that fucker up
>walk my way behind enemies using said vent
>drop down while being invisible
>use Cut Throat feat on one enemy
>pop adrenaline shot to get enough AP, to throw a flashbang at the rest
>all stunned, nothin' personnel my way through them in one turn
>loot their shit
>fade away into the darkness
>>
File: 1493842493252.png (89KB, 363x475px) Image search: [Google]
1493842493252.png
89KB, 363x475px
>crawl up vent
>somehow don't make any noise
makes u think
>>
>>381042812
>being able to turn 360 degrees in a square vent while laying down when your character is likely 6 feet tall and the vent is 3 feet wide
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.