[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a more tragic, complex and interesting character in any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 43

File: NikoBellic-GTAIV.jpg (66KB, 502x644px) Image search: [Google]
NikoBellic-GTAIV.jpg
66KB, 502x644px
Name a more tragic, complex and interesting character in any GTA game.
>Protip: You can't
>>
This

People say he isn't because they automatically think "Lol russians aren't people!" Niko is a fucking legend who does not take bullshit
>>
Claude.
>>
>>381037091
Niko and GTA4 were franchise Primetime
>>
>>381036065
He was great, favorite GTA protag.

I don't get why some people freak out and whine because he wasn't a total asshole or pure evil like 99% of other GTA protags up until V.
>>
>>381037650
Haha yeah Claude was fucking great
>>
>>381036065
His character was interesting but there was a problem where it wasn't compatible with the gameplay sometimes. Like you'd steal a car from someone, run him over, run over or shoot people on the way to a mission and then the cutscene starts with Niko talking about how he doesn't want to kill people.

That being said, it's just a small nitpick and IV is still my favorite GTA game for a variety of reasons, including the story
>>
>>381036065
god this game was so fucking boring.
>>
>>381036065
Michael De Santa.
>>
>>381037091
To be fair, he's Serbian.
>>
>>381036065
what's so tragic about him? the fact that he can't stop touching his own balls?
claude.
>>
>>381039117
What happens in the game outside of missions isn't canon. Why else would Tommy be able to get away with murdering hundreds of people with nothing but a bribe but still went 15 years to jail for killing 11 people?
Or why would Tenpenny be an actual menace to CJ with his threats of framing him for a cop's murder when CJ can straight up steal a tank and kill hundreds of military personnel?
>>
>>381036065
Of course you can't name a more tragic and complex character in GTA. That's why GTAIV is the least fun game in the series.
>>
>>381039834
Still had the best driving and shooting. And many missions could be played with a bit of imagination.
>>
File: 1495652490402.jpg (22KB, 458x456px) Image search: [Google]
1495652490402.jpg
22KB, 458x456px
>That leaker who lied about Nico the DLC story in GTAV
>>
>>381039941
>best driving
Lol no.
>best shooting
Debatable. The shooting in V is in itself better but the reactivity of enemies in IV is more impressive.
>>
>>381039834
Fun is subjective.

tacticool shootouts in dirty warehouses appeals to me more than driving tanks.
>>
Reminder Niko is the only GTA protagonist to have actually scared the living shit out of another main character.
>>
>>381040076
>Debatable. The shooting in V is in itself better but the reactivity of enemies in IV is more impressive.
The autoaim is too damn easy. In IV it took a bit more work.
The driving actually required practice and skill. I like cars with a bit of weight.
>>
>>381040114
Yeah because Biker McMeth wasn't pissing himself over Trevor, right?
>>
>>381040234
There's a difference between scaring someone on his prime and scaring a pathetic methhead. Put someone on enough drugs and they'll jump at their own shadow.
>>
gta iv had one of the best stories of any gta game for sure. it's a great shakedown of the "land of opportunity" and such.

but then also you had to drive cars with other cars strapped to the top with ice-skates for wheels in a big brown blur of fucking nothing.
>>
oh and also Tony
apartment gets blown up to hell, has to move in back with mother, who kept trying to kill him
old friend and boss gets killed by some mute
fucking triads...
>>
Good MC, bad game.
>>
>>381036065
I liked GTA's story a lot better. I like the blend of satire with the somber tone. GTAV had a decent story too, but I felt it had a lot of forgettable characters. I also think they tried too hard to recreate the different perspectives of the main game and DLC.

Though it could be a first game bias.
>>
>>381040841
I honestly don't remember that many people from GTA V. The three main characters, Lester, the villains (not really that much), Michael's family, Trevor's friend and his cousin.
>>
File: Y8K5ON.gif (4MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Y8K5ON.gif
4MB, 400x225px
>>381040841
>I like GTA IV's story
>>
>>381038014
Whoa whoa, neither Carl or Tommy were assholes.

Carl wanted out of "the game" because he just saw it as a dead end and a pointless waste of life (their little brother was killed too). He got dragged back in thanks to Smoke being a huge cock, but he thought it would be better to die among family than live alone with nobody. When he was banished from the city to do dirty work for CRASH he met some serious connections and got Sweet an early release. Nice.

Tommy was just a typical wise guy up until he figured out that he was betrayed and was meant to die in the botched drug deal, and he never disrespected anyone that didn't deserve it. Tommy was a true bro.
>>
>>381038014
>>381041592
Wait a minute, the GTA Stories characters were never dicks either though. Vic got thrown into the criminal underworld by his dick superior in the army, and Tony was just trying to do right by both his mob family and real family, despite being unappreciated by both. Even the EFLC characters weren't dicks. Johnny was trying to save his MC from falling apart due to unnecessary violence and drug abuse, and Luis was just trying to keep his homie Gay Tony alive. AND CLAUDE DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING TALK. Pretty sure Trevor's the only real dick in the whole series.
>>
>>381042517
>AND CLAUDE DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING TALK
He was kind of an amoral monster. Either that or an autist people took advantage of.
>>
>>381042517
Nah, Claude is the worst piece of shit in the game. He betrays virtually everyone he meets, ironically while megapissed and on a rampage of retribution when he was double-crossed by Catalina.
>>
>>381042843
And he even fucking shoots the bitch he just saved from Catalina because she complains about her hair being ruined.
>>
>>381038014
>>381041592
>>381042517
GTA's pretty much always been about playing a good guy in a bad guy's world. At least canonically. I don't consider the mindless rampages and cop chases for fun to be canon.
>>
>>381036065
i liked niko he seemed like he was a good person
>>
>>381042823
>>381042843
You've both convinced me. Claude was a huge dick. Why was he so loveable though? Maybe it was his gangster ass walk animation and the way he'd flick off cars without saying a word.
>>
>the whole scene where Niko sees Darko again
I mean, I never knew this guy nor did I really give a fuck about Niko's unit, but God damn did they make me give a shit during that scene.
>>
>>381036065
>i dont want to kill
>but its all i know
>[fake serbian accent]

is there any more complexity to it? i mean, that alone puts him above the other protagonists, but it is still pretty damn shallow
>>
>>381043227
The same reason masked characters who can be talkative or extremely quiet are so likable. We like filling the wholes of what they don't share and we tend to think positively of them.
>>
>>381043379
One of my favorite scenes from the game.

I chose to spare him because it's the "good" option but the "kill" scene is really intense.
>>
>>381043418
You know, all the horrors of the war that still chase him, his struggle with giving himself up unto revenge or forgetting and starting anew...
"That Very Special Someone" is the perfect mission to get a good look at Niko's character as a whole.
>>
>>381043550
Sparing him makes Niko feel better, actually. Revenge just makes him feel shallow.
Dimitri is a different case; unlike Darko Dimitri is still a persistent threat to Niko and his family.
>>
>>381036065

Johnny Klebitz is objectively more complex of a character with a wider emotional palette and we see more deeply his motivations

The "moralizing" parts of TLAD actually feel authentic, like when Billy wants to steal the heroin from the Angels of Death and Johnny thinks that's fucked, or when Johnny asks Elizabeta if racking up tons of bodies is really a necessity.
>>
File: donaldlove.jpg (75KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
donaldlove.jpg
75KB, 800x800px
>>381036065
Hello.

My name is Donald Love.

You're listening to a Love Media station.

... Enjoy.
>>
Aside from Roman, of all his contacts who would you say was Niko's closest friend?
>>
>>381043816
Didn't he cannibalise Avery?
>>
Vic vance
>>
>>381043853
Easy, Little Jacob.
>>
An underrated aspect of his character: at the start of the game he's awkward and doesn't say much, but as the game goes on he gets more humorous and comfortable in his conversations. It was a really cool way to show him getting attuned to living in liberty city
>>
>>381043853
jacob seemed the most realistic friend
>>
>>381043896
yep. had him killed then ate his corpse.
>>
>>381044061
One subtle detail I really love and which I only noticed when an anon here pointed it out was that when he first arrives on LC he talks in Serbian to Roman and is slightly annoyed by him having forgotten their language and wanting to communicate in English.
When you finally confront Dimitri to kill him Niko actually orders him to talk to him in English after he started muttering in Russian.
>>
File: IMG_1630.jpg (485KB, 1553x1021px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1630.jpg
485KB, 1553x1021px
Daily reminder that the Deal ending is the better ending.

It may fucking suck but you can't dispute this
>>
>>381040226
you mean the optional auto-aim? or is there auto-aim that comes with [auto-aim off]? because the former is unnecessary, even with using a controller
>>
>>381043853
Jacob no question.
Always happy to see you.
>>
>>381044109
What about Dwayne?
>>
>>381043853
Easily Jacob.

I think though that he's also very fond of Dwayne and even Brucie. You can tell Niko enjoys Brucie's company even though he treats the man with disdain. He gets on with Dwayne obviously because they're kindred spirits.
>>381043816
>In nearby Carcer City, police chief Gary Schafer has been recently acquitted on a technicality. Let's hope those witnesses turn up safe and sound.
>Chief Schafer was the guy colluding with Starkweather in Manhunt.
Loved that shit. God I want a Manhunt 3.
>>
>>381043853
Packie by a mile.
He never seem to enjoy his time with Brucie.
Dwayne complains all the time and just use Niko as his therapist.
Little Jackob is definitely a top contender, but their relationship just feel a bit wrong. No conflict at all. It's way too smooth.

Kiki is definitely his true love outside of Kate.
>>
>>381044291
Was that Kate dying or Roman?
Kate dying sucked but Roman dying is out of the question
>>
>>381044291
>get to kill Dimitri and then kill the faggot Pegorino
>also Kate "won't put out on any date" McReary doesn't make it
Best ending m8
>>
>>381044452
>Kiki is definitely his true love outside of Kate.
I've never really had more than one girlfriend at the time; it seems out of character for Niko to cheat. Same reason why I never get into unwarranted fights.
>>
>>381044540
I like kate dying more honestly. It's a better end to their relationship than her walking out.
>>
>>381044540
Roman dying.
>>
>>381040076

How about we go back to the times where enemies didn't die in practically 1 hit
>"They didn't die in 1 hit!"

fuck off, they might as well had because they dropped in 1 shot
>>
>>381044384
i liked him too but he seemed like a faggot
>>
>>381040076
>>best driving
>Lol no.
Lol yes.
>>
>tfw no game starring Packie in a GTA-ified Boston
Missed opportunity.
>>
>>381045932
Roman doesn't appear on Lifeinvader so it's almost certain they left his life/death uncertain. And since you can take Packie to the cannibal cult, it means he can die too. Therefore Packie won't be in a future GTA game unless it is a prequel of sorts.
>>
did Rockstar killed Nico in V? they mention him but they either say that he is dead or that he stopped commiting crimes
>>
>>381046204
Set it between IV and V, he had to be doing something in those five years.
>>
>>381044291

I've come to believe that Revenge is better. Sure, Deal is a bit more climatic but I think that Revenge has better symbolism. I feel like the game expects you to take Kate out on dates and get to know her, so I'm speaking of the ending with that in mind.

But what does Kate represent to Niko? The idea of purity and living a good life. She is the only sibling in the Mcreary family who isn't involved in drugs or crime. Niko looks at her as if she is some angelic representation of purity, as if being with her gets him closer to that. Even that fact that she never "puts out" is relevant as it emphasizes that her purity is untouchable and unobtainable.

When you're driving to Roman's wedding, Kate and Niko are talking more and getting deeper into the relationship - then she is killed, and pulled from Niko's life forever. That dream of purity and innocence was just that, a dream, Niko's life always was filled with death and crime and he'll never be able to escape it totally. Kate represents high dreams and aspirations that can never be totally fulfilled.

Also, Pegorino may not seem like a climactic final boss, but I like how the entire game you are climing up the chain of command. Roman > Mallorie > Manny > Elizabeta > Packie > Ray > Phil > Pegorino. So it's cool that the final confrontation is the very top of that chain, as if the chain has been closed.

One more thing: a big aspect of Pegorino's character is that he wanted to get on the Commission, but never could. This also ties well into the story of unobtainable dreams that define's Niko's life.
>>
>>381046221
it sounded to me either he just quit doing crimes or died
>>
>>381046204
>it means he can die too
I didn't know it was Packie when I found him so when I saw him sticking up some dude I just ran him over.
>>
>>381042843
In fact claude only "betrays" the yakuza, but the rest of the gangs betray him
>>
>>381046221
there's an easter egg where his faceinvader profile has it down that he's working as a cabbie for Roman's taxi company, and it has a recent update from him posted on his wall, so he isn't dead but may still be involved in crime.
>>
>>381046221
He started working for Roman as a taxi driver.
>>
>>381039117
I hope they give us a Tony Montana character next time for exactly this reason. Nothing as far as Trevor, but definitely less sympathetic, that's for sure. Would be cool.
>>
File: 1413850686086.png (125KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1413850686086.png
125KB, 256x256px
>Willing go to war
>Wahh I've seen things and done things no man should ever do

Soldiers are idiots and deserve no pity for their actions.
>>
>>381046530
>losing one of the best dollars/performance heisters
SHIGGY
>>
>>381046556
This. Did you idiots even play the game?
Besides I'd much rather work for a mogul like Love than some Jap gansters.
>>
>>381046682
That's basically Tommy.
>>
File: DO YOU.jpg (273KB, 597x540px) Image search: [Google]
DO YOU.jpg
273KB, 597x540px
>>381040061
>GTAV hasn't had any major single player DLC

Fucking Rockstar
>>
>>381044452
The best thing about Kate's death is that Niko feels the consequences of his actions even if he doesn't date her. He's directly for responsible for two of Packie's siblings getting killed and indirectly responsible for Gerald getting sent to prison (assuming that UL Paper was using Niko to secretly to find and incarcerate Gerald)
>>
>>381046791
Oh I restarted when I found out. He's just too good.
>>
>>381046783

Willing? He grew up in Eastern Europe during the 90s, it was a shitshow, he was probably forced into war like everyone else.
>>
>>381044452
>No conflict at all. It's way too smooth.
It's called being friends.
>>
How do you remember so much from gta IV? I'm jealous of the memory in this thread

It even made an impact on me at the time, I just have horrible memory
>>
>>381046859
Singleplayer DLC doesn't make people buy Shark Cards.

>>381046907
Him and that driver chick are godlike for the prices they charge.
>>
>>381046936
yeah, he was conscripted as a teenager. had me wondering how he could only be 30 in GTA IV until I figured it out.
>>
File: 1413341139907.jpg (5KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
1413341139907.jpg
5KB, 264x191px
>>381046936
There is no such thing as forced to go to war, that is just an excuse they use to make you feel sorry for them. I guess it's working.
>>
>>381044291

I like Revenge because I like sparing Darko

So it's like, Niko doesn't kill Darko, and instead decides that Dimitri is the one deserving of his rage. It wouldn't make sense if you killed Darko and then Dimitri.
>>
File: autism.gif (512KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
512KB, 480x270px
>>381046783
>>
>>381046291
Pegorino was never really on top. Everyone in the game, including Phil treated him like a joke because he was an idiot. Only UC Paper and Jon Gravelli had that level of power to be on top.
>>
>>381043379

GTA IV's moral choices often get criticized because they don't have much impact on the story, but I actually kind of like that. It means that the choice revolves around how you see the situation and what you personally think is the right thing to do.

The Francis/Derrick decision is an amazing moral dilemma...There's so much going on. In the end I decided to kill Derrick as a mercy kill because I thought Francis could still do some good, despite being a corrupt cop. Francis seemed to genuinely want to be a good guy
>>
>>381047474
Francis is a fucking snake, how the fuck could you see him doing anything other than abusing his power and dragging you down with him? Jesus.
>>
something that always confused me

>niko and ray are talking
>niko says he's looking for someone, ray asks who
>niko says florian cravic
>ray laughs at says "florian fuckin cravic?" as if he knows the guy well

It was just a pretty amazing coincidence, Ray seemed to know enough about him to actually laugh at the idea. And Niko doesn't even seem surprised that Ray knows him already
>>
Niko is an asshole and I fucking hate him.
>>
>>381046560

The thought of Niko quitting the life of crime and just working with Roman as a taxi driver makes me weirdly happy. It's so cute.
>>
>>381036065
TBoGT was an amazing wrap up. Amazing wrap up as a story/set of themes to the decade, too.
>>
>>381047689
Ray probably knows him because Cravic is dating the mayor of Liberty City IIRC
>>
>>381043054
I imagine most people don't, I don't know why Yahtzee had such a problem with that. You could play most RPG's by killing everyone in psychopathic fits of rage, but that shouldn't diminish the story.
>>
File: 1497353031967.jpg (102KB, 387x468px) Image search: [Google]
1497353031967.jpg
102KB, 387x468px
>>381048041
https://youtu.be/aiLFnrEZi2M
>mfw
>>
>>381047689
Everyone in the criminal underworld most likely knew that Florian was involved in an relationship with Bryce Dawkins, hence why Ray knows Florian. It's just that Niko didn't know how much Florian as changed since he left the country.
>>
>>381048312

Anyone who thinks any player action is canon just sounds retarded...I mean, you could say "well if you're link, you can roll around in hyrule field for 500 hours" and saying it's a flaw in the story.
>>
>>381040076
To be fair, the shooting in all GTA is god awful. They should take lessons from Max Pain
>>
>>381048374
>The character of 2005-2010 is starting to appear in the mirror of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS6ISaqUkz0
>>
File: The_Contact-GTA_IV.png (355KB, 825x639px) Image search: [Google]
The_Contact-GTA_IV.png
355KB, 825x639px
This is one of my favorite characters in any game ever. I love how he knows everything and his realist attitude. And I love after Niko shoots all the guys in Broker, he says "That feeling deep inside? That's the feeling of satisfaction after doing something good. Congratulations."
>>
File: 1496937466519.jpg (144KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1496937466519.jpg
144KB, 800x1200px
>>381048693
>tfw he appears in V and gets killed like a normal goon
for what purpose
>>
>>381048552
Max Payne benefits from being a tightly controlled corridor shooter where the shooting is the focus. If you expected that level of polish on a GTA game it would either end up very very linear in every mission or taking like 15 years to develop.
>>
>>381048273
He's not the mayor, FYI.
>>
>>381048504
I try to make it match as best I can.
>>
>>381048693
He was such a bag of shit while also being funny and likeable.
>>
>>381047474
Don't forget to call Francis beforehand to get the money boost.
>>
>>381044289
Another subtle detail I really like is how tastefully the "American Dream is a lie" theme is conveyed at the end of the Deal ending; when Jacob says "You won," Niko just blankly stares at him and the game ends by juxtaposing that interaction with the Statue of Happiness in the background.
>>381044004
>>381044109
>>381044360
>>381044396
From the same mission, I love how Jacob temporarily loses the Jamaican edge to his accent when he agrees with Niko that Roman never hurt anyone. It's as if he's coming out of his own shell to help his dear friend in need. Also, the fact that he went to all the trouble to steal an Annihilator helicopter in that final mission just to help Niko makes Jacob even more awesome to me.
>>
worst gta by far
>>
>>381036065
>GTA
>complex, interesting characters
>>
I have autism and for some reason GTA IV is very pleasing to it. Anyone else experience that? Just the pace of the game
>>
>>381049571
He's like the deputy mayor; so he's still pretty high up there. Fact is, no matter the position, it's just one of many ways the game shows you that Bernie achieved the American Dream despite facing the same struggles as Niko. It's as if the story is telling you that the American Dream isn't a guaranteed thing, and pursuit of it can lead to a lot of pain and suffering, like what happened to Niko, but don't lose hope; people like Bernie show that it may still be possible after all.
>>
>>381047114

You do realize that in some places refusing to join the war effort and fight for your country can get you killed right? Its not like in America where you can pull some dubious medical record and walk away high and free.
>>
File: IMG_4245.jpg (13KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4245.jpg
13KB, 300x168px
>Shit's on the up, I hope. Although as soon as I say that I begin to worry. I remember my dad used to always say, "Expect the worst, then you can only be pleasantly surprised." He'd say that, then he'd hit me.
>He doesn't sound like a nice man.
>Guy was a fucking fool. He got his, though. He tried to rip off some local dealers. I remember the night they killed him. There was a knock at the door. My mom cried, but I don't think she meant it. I hope she didn't. You know what I felt?
>No.
>I felt nothing man. Nothing. Not happy, not sad. Just nothing. My pop's dead, and I didn't feel a damn thing. Shit is fucked up.
>>
>>381043182
IIRC, Niko is the only PC to start the game as a non-criminal (He did horrendous things, but legally as a soldier in an actual war)

Others have started the game as only 2bit thugs (Franklin, iirc Chinatown stories dude) but most were already in some sort of criminal organsation and could be considered career criminals.
Even CJ and Michael were 'retired' career criminals.
>>
>>381037091
Fuck that shit, come bowling with me cousin!
>>
>>381048847
Reminds me of someone...
>>
File: kanji.jpg (1KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
kanji.jpg
1KB, 125x93px
>>381051226

>Choosing Playboy X
>>
>>381051272
>Vic Vance
he really dindu nuffin
>>
File: child-soldiers[1].jpg (146KB, 600x393px) Image search: [Google]
child-soldiers[1].jpg
146KB, 600x393px
>>381047114
>I read 1/4 of a philosophy book
>>
>>381037091
They aren't, but it's alright, Niko is Serbian.
>>
>>381050194
>reading comprehension
sure is hard
>>
>>381052367
>being disorganized makes this sort of Slav better than that sort of Slav
No.
>>
>>381051226
I love how in retrospect, that little story has quite a bit in common thematically with Niko's own revenge story; how it's entirely possible to still feel like a husk of a person even after the ghosts haunting you all your life have finally been dealt with: Dwayne with his abusive father and Niko with Darko Brevic. I like to think that in one playthrough, Niko heard this story before he was given the choice to kill or spare Darko in "That Special Someone," and that it added another layer of complexity to the decision. If even the destruction of one's personal demons wasn't able to help his friend Dwayne in the end, Niko would think to himself, would they really help him in the end?
>>
File: miketoreno-gtasa.jpg (8KB, 200x332px) Image search: [Google]
miketoreno-gtasa.jpg
8KB, 200x332px
>>381048693
Mike Toreno was a better government agent.
>>
>>381051272
Vic Vance of Vice City Stories was the first PC character to start of as a hero. He was a legit army soldier who slowly became a drug lord because of Lance and Martinez's stupidity combined with Louise's helplessness.
>>
>>381046221
He retired. IIRC Lester says he's laying low. Probably working for Roman, who is also alive
>>
>>381047114
What would you do if an army walked into your country?
>>
>>381048847
V was a straight up action movie from beginning to end. Despite being "realistic" everything from the location, to the characters, and even music felt like they were part of one big Micheal Bay Movie.
>>
>>381050378
Definitely, I think the very well done character interactions are easily the best part of the game, and how it's a slow burn to understand everything that's going on between the lines.
>>
>>381044452
>Little Jackob is definitely a top contender, but their relationship just feel a bit wrong. No conflict at all. It's way too smooth.

I don't know man, the way he rolls up and helps you in the helicopter that you jump off the bike and grab the rails, it was fucking badass he just felt like the most true bro who would do some crazy shit to help you pop them bumbaclots. For a stoner he was pretty fuckin fearless.
>>
>>381055270
In a military-grade Annihilator, no less.
>>
>>381048847
>Letting him get killed
I always went out of my way in that mission to protect him
>>
>>381053094
I fucking hated louise so much. Not that Marty was all that great but she brought a lot of shit on herself imho and Vic had to keep chasing her to put a band-aid on it. Fuuuuck that, I don't chase women like that IRL, fuck sweating one like that in a game. Her missions weren't even fun.
>>
he's tragic, but complex and interesting? his entire story is

"wahh i was in a war and my friends died so now i want REVENGEANCE!"

minus points for being the only GTA protagonist to never advance beyond the bitch errand-boy for a mob boss status. seriously even Vic manned up and decided to run shit instead of listening to others, yet this fucking idiot stays under someone's thumb the entire time and doesn't even kill the russian mob boss that forced him to go on the run. Niko sucks ass.
>>
>>381051796
>>381053094
I remembered incorrectly.
>>
>>381039745
in GTA V, if you steal cars and murder people, this is reflected in not just your endgame psych evaluation, but also Michael's conversations to his psychiatrist should you partake in them. I noticed this after one playthrough i decided to be a perfect citizen between missions and Michael's dialogue was different. then I switched it up on a save reload and he said "i think i might've even killed a few people on the way here!" and again he said "not much trouble. might've stolen a few cars..."

also the game calls you out for going to the strip club and having sex with the dancers or hookers.
>>
>>381053071
He may of been an asshole to you but he kept his word and got Sweet out of jail and he even lets you keep the hydra you steal.
>>
name a more cliched character than nico
>>
>>381053071
James Woods was the perfect cast voice too. He'd fast-talk minimize the risk and call Carl a pussy, then fuck with him and tell him he can make his brother be someone's bitch, sitting in a ranch with the doors wide open without a care in the world.

He really showcased how small Carl's entire backstory was in the grand scheme of things. Then he actually delivers after you go balls-out and do his crazy-ass missions. Solid character all the way down.
>>
>>381047114
>its not a war if its a drone strike
>>
>GTA 5
>Niko works for Roman
>Michelle is in the game
>Michelle and Roman are alive
huhhhh?
>>
>>381056178
Trevor Philips
>>
>>381040841
>>381041129
What? GTA V characters are so simple that I could remember them easily.
>>
>>381055675
>"wahh i was in a war and my friends died so now i want REVENGEANCE!"
If you bothered to pay attention at all you'd know that revenge isn't actually the main reason why Niko is in America; it's simply a bonus. Niko's real goal is going to America and using everything at his disposal over there in order to finally gain some closure in his life and be happy with one of the only family members he has left. Revenge is one of many vehicles Niko wishes to use in order to fulfill this goal, until he finds through his own actions and the testimonies of some of his friends like Dwayne
>>381051226
>>381052893
that revenge being the key to happiness isn't as clear cut as it sounds.
>minus points for being the only GTA protagonist to never advance beyond the bitch errand-boy for a mob boss status
In the GTAs of old all the stories essentially followed the same general path: you start out as a nobody, and after lots of missions and killing lots of people, you become somebody; usually a top dog in the crime world of the city you're in. GTA IV is the only GTA where this doesn't happen and in that regard, it's unique. You're actually worse off than you started; sure, you have lots of money, but you've lost one of two things which genuinely made you happy in your life. This is something made all the more surprising by the fact that Niko actually has the highest canonical kill count across all the protagonists, even more than Tommy, CJ, and Trevor, something around 80 or so kills, and he gets absolutely nothing for it. You're essentially saying the story isn't interesting because it's not the same story you've already played though 4 or 5 times by that point.
>>
>>381040234
Are you the same guy in another thread that referred to BJ from wolfenstein as "Slab McLargeHuge?"
>>
>>381056178
I hope you meant "protagonists" because most side-characters are walking cliches.
With that, CJ
>>
>>381058034
No. But Slab McLargeHuge isn't a unique thing, it's a pretty common nickname for the interchangeable meathead character trope.
>>
>>381040114
Wait who? Dmitri you mean?
>>
>caring about or discussing any GTA games other than Vice City
>>
>>381058447
He scares Johnny during the museum mission; you'll find this out when you play through it in Johnny's perspective in TLAD
>>
>>381058597
Got a link to the video, I never played any of the episodes beyond Niko's.
>>
>Get me A FUCKING COFFEE
>>
>>381046204
>Roman doesn't appear on Lifeinvader
you can see him being mentioned on Nico's page during a cutscene where Michael's son is on his laptop and you can see a part of Nico's profile
>>
>>381058760
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPf6fJZbry8
It's at 6:21, also if you watch from 4:31 to 5:01 you'll see Niko clear out the entire bottom floor for you.
>>
>>381047059
He was 13. A child soldier
>>
Johnny deserved more.
>>
>>381040114
Who?
>>
>>381053071
this
>>
>>381037650
Claude>niko>tommy>the rest
I place claude first because I like the silent protagonist angle, the man had one mission and he did it, without the bitching and crying. Just a man on a mission.
>>
>>381061172
Johnny, see
>>381059342
>>
File: 1495248776731.png (25KB, 669x514px) Image search: [Google]
1495248776731.png
25KB, 669x514px
>>381036065
The moment you, the player, decided to go on a shooting rampage or run over an innocent bystander, and Niko makes an off hand comment about it, is the moment he stopped being a good character. The fact that this has no ramifications on his character or the story makes the game's attempt at drama come off as a joke.

The game either needs to take itself less serious or take into account the player's mindset, that they just want to cause destruction, into the writing of the characters. For example in Wolfenstein the New Order the protagonist is a fairly fleshed out character who still lives and breathes to kill nazis, which is what the player also wants to do going in and actively attempts. You cant have it both ways, serious drama and a chaotic player, or it comes off as an unintentional self parody. It would be one thing if the chaotic player's actions were completely ignored to a self aware extent but when there is specific lines meant to coincide with murderous rampages that are later ignored, it supports that disconnect. The same cannot be said for every game, but it becomes glaring when the game is known for and encourages "sandbox" chaos and players actively seek out five star cop chases.
>>
>>381061973
Trevor is the character you want, and Michael has this
>>381056043
and nobody here likes them either; you literally can't win
>>
>>381048552
I liked the shooting mechanics from max Payne 3, and when they announced GTA v, I thought they would copy paste and gameplay, boy was I wrong.
The shooting gameplay from GTA v is so easy and boring.
>>
>>381042823
>>381042843
>>381043227
Claude was purely a hitman. He did everything he did for the money. he didnt really have any personal motives other than surviving and getting paid (mostly because he never talked) and his motives were whatever you wanted it to be. I honestly think his revenge on Catalina was only due to convenience and the fact that his employers wanted her dead too.
>>
>>381043379
>>381043550
I always liked how it seemed Darko was pretty much Niko's shitty self. Calls him out on how he could betray ad kill for a few dollars then turns on him and says "how much do you kill for?"
>>
File: darko.jpg (9KB, 200x299px) Image search: [Google]
darko.jpg
9KB, 200x299px
>>381062873
He looks practically the same as well. Also if you look at Bernie, both him and Niko have the same eyebrow scar, and Bernie is Niko's foil.
>>
push me push me
>>
>waaah cousin, I saw so much pain and death in my life
>waaah I wanna start my life over
>brb I need to choose which nig I'm gonna kill
>>
>>381061973
>Hit rabbi at top speed

YOU KNOW WHAT? I DON'T EVEN HAVE A LICENSE.
>>
>>381063612
I loved how GTA IV had so many Jews on the streets, I killed so many of them, mostly them than any other bystanders.
>>
>>381036065
>I just wanted a better life
>Does the exact opposite

srpski returd
>>
>>381063817
gta v has them i single player. haven't seen then online though.
>>
>>381063990
Someone's never played through Roman's taxi missions
>>
>>381059342
Johnny was a badass.
>>
>>381064187
I don't remember them, oh well, I don't remember much from GTA V, even though I finished it a few times.
I liked the map from GTA V, channel x, the planes and that's pretty much it.
>>
>>381064187
It's because New York has way more Jews than even California does.
>>
>>381064317
Does anything ever happen in those?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6yv3aH9y8GA
>>
>>381052893
Good shit anon.
>>
>>381064458
I do understand why people prefer TBoGT over vanilla GTA IV and TLaD, but I love TLaD, johnny was cool, the biker gang was cool, I liked the characters, they fixed the bikes, new guns, Billy as the bad guy. I've played more TLaD than the main game and the other dlc.
>>
>>381057730
GTAIV should've been an HBO series to be honest. It'd be on par with THe Sopranos.
>>
>>381036065
You, probably. Making daily GTA 4 threads trying to defend that mess, failing miserably, trying again the next day. It's tragic and kind of psychotic.
Niko is a crybaby, that's his defining trait. He had the opportunity to start a new life, yet he chose to continue being a criminal and the city made him pay for it. He constantly reminds you of how unfair his situation is.

Considering their line of business, that makes the other guys better suited for GTA. They don't pretend to be good while murdering people and stealing money. In fact, he's kind of a proto Michael, because he doesn't want to admit he has it good and is just looking for excuses to go back to killing and stealing for money.
>>
Alright who is the worst GTA protagonist and antagonist and why?
>>
>>381064924
Anyone who likes IV needs to watch Sopranos. It's basically GTA IV cranked to 11.
>>
>>381065112
The worst is Franklin, or Trevor because of how memed he is, but at least he's somewhat original. Worst antagonist definitely Devin Weston. I won't even count Stretch.
>>
>>381065112
The main characters from V.
>>
>>381064690
It's basically just a job, but the really important thing to glean from those missions was that they were Niko's attempt to go straight and build a legitimate life for himself, by working as Roman's taxi driver. The missions also set the thematic trend continued throughout the rest of the story, that no matter how hard Niko tries, he'll never truly be able to escape the life he came from. You know this from the fact that Niko's very first fare also lands him in his first shootout in America, and the fact that it was the remnants of Niko's past that led to the missions becoming unavailable- the taxi business is destroyed by Dimitri and Bulgarin's men as retribution for the life Niko was forced to lead and for the ideals of protecting the dignity of his family that he chooses to uphold. The second time you see Niko attempt to go straight and peaceful is the Deal ending, which results in Roman's death.
>>
File: 1494601607840.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494601607840.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>381064924
>>381065181
Rosalie Aprile's actress voices Pegorino's wife

>>381064875
I loved watching Sons of Anarchy and when Hell on Wheels premiered I thought it was a great show to watch after playing RDR.

Only last year I watched Deadwood and it was great but flawed in the fact the main character is such a fucking stuck up asshole and Swerengen with Wu was a great combination COCKSUCKA.
>>
>>381065741
Hell on Wheels is a good western for after RDR.
>>
>>381065439
Also, to add to this, if you do actually finish all ten fares before the business is burned down, Roman actually forbids Niko from doing any more because the other drivers are jealous that Niko is stealing their fares. Roman then suggests that Niko "use his fists"to get money from then on, which, in essence, means to return to the violent lifestyle he left behind. Niko really has no way of winning.
>>
>>381065112
Either Trevor, Franklin, or Huang Lee.

>Trevor is just wacky crazy guy and only shows character when talking about how Mike "betrayed" him with Wade
>Franklin is just under used and screams cut content
>Huang Lee isn't bad but he's a douchebag that didn't really care his father died and only wants revenge for being ambushed at the beginning

Can't decide between Westin and Huang Lee's uncle for worst villain because it almost makes no fucking sense for his uncle to have Huang Lee's dad killed to gain power when he's based in fucking Liberty City. Westin is just a typical douchebag that could be just giving you missions and should have just died in a mission before the ending. Cut content is really bad in V so none of the final antagonists make sense except the government guy.
>>
>>381065009
See
>>381065439
and
>>381066369
Also, I'd say he's actually doing well in terms of threads; this one is close to 200 replies and we had a pretty good thread that hit the bump limit just 2 days ago.
>>
>>381066795
That's because people like talking about GTA in general, not because GTA IV is some underrated gem. Pretending to be more than one person is the bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>381065181
>>381065741
The shit just gets so absurd at times, I can just imagine the rating on an episode where this happens:

https://youtu.be/GbGfU0DVXNk?t=2562

Or the confrontation with Dimitri and Mr. Bulgarin. At least the game exists to continue to play.

>>381066952
lol
>>
>>381065112
cj was an annoying bitch. i never played the stories shit though
>>
>>381066952
That thread I mentioned was all talk about GTA IV: character analyses, character comparisons, discussion of dialogue, fun stories from multiplayer, favorite TV shows, favorite missions and moments in those missions, and other stuff too. The only other GTA brought up in any sort of detail in that thread was V. But you would know this if you were in that thread, which you clearly weren't.
>>
File: Y3hteVJ.jpg (21KB, 527x600px) Image search: [Google]
Y3hteVJ.jpg
21KB, 527x600px
>>381067000
>that episode of Sopranos when they have a kike tied up and they're trying to get him to divorce his wife.
>that episode when Junior has Brendan killed and Chrissy put into a mock execution and Adriana takes him to the hospital and she says he miscreated himself
>that episode after Chrissy gets shot and put into the hospital Tony tracks down Matt Belevaqua with Big Pussy and kill him as he's tied up.

Rewatch season 1&2
>>
>>381067315
Oh yeah, I just imagined another thread where this totally happened. All I've seen lately are threads completely abusing the game and tearing it apart for its shortcomings.
And guess what, all of that trending shit doesn't matter because the game is what it is, and doesn't change over time (mods aside). You can't force people to like it.
>>
>>381068127
>>380862903
Have fun, it's 521 posts. It should still be in the archive. And make sure to read what everyone is saying this time, okay?
>>
>>381068357
It's not necessary, I actually played the game. I don't need 500 posts of easily coercible children to have an opinion on the subject.
>>
>>381069209
>n-nobody here liked GTA IV, honest! You can't force people to like it!
>provides proof to show the contrary
>b-but they're children, what about me
Glad to see I won this little argument.
>>
>>381066619
>Franklin is just under used and screams cut content
>When his ex girlfriend shows up at the very end of the game
>>
>>381036065
GTA4 was shit and so was Niko.
>>
>>381071321
Bumbaclot detected.
>>
>>381048693
This
>I'm not a good guy, but I'm fighting with them...
>>
>>381069896
>literally only mentioned twice in conversation and once in email
>shows up and lectures you about some shit
>Stretch is the same except he only shows up in mission once
>lol gotta kill him at the very end because fuck it we're wiping the slate clean for each other
>>
>>381036065
>Name a more boring GTA game
>Protip: You can't
>>
>>381047045
Guess we'll see if R* has sold out ask together with RDR2, they were commendable with GTA IV for giving band for buck years after it was released. I played regularly until about 2012 on/off

Shame if it is done
>>
>>381036065

faggot tony
>>
>>381039117
See while the core gameplay loop doesnt fit into the theme, there are some aspects of the gameplay that do.

One of the core themes is how it breaks down the concept of the American Dream. Of building yourself up from nothing (illegal immigrant with zero connections orneducation or friends) into something. And in a way you do. You move out of your cousins apartment and eventually live in ritzy condos, wearing designer suits, and driving luxury cars. But these are all just material posessions and none of them make Niko feel any happier. Anymore complete. He never gets to actually run a gang or organization and hes left with all of these menial side missions. All grunt work with no way to elevate yourself up the ladder. If one of these side business ventures actually seem to go anywhere they get nixed because either theyre drawing too much heat or someone was just using you.
>>
>>381040076
>didnt drift around Liberty City with the Futo

You actually missed out. Not even some dedicated racing games balanced the line between realistic enough to factor front and back weight and counter steering but cartoony enough to use that in Initial D tier drifts
>>
>>381069505
>>n-nobody here liked GTA IV
Having fun with your strawman? You can't defend the game to save your life, so you have to turn the debate into a popularity contest.
It had terrible driving, the aiming mechanics were broken, there was no mission variety and even the soundtrack was underwhelming. It tried to have a serious plot that wasn't well written at all and it was a huge step down from San Andreas.

Those are the facts, the rest is just your OCD taking over.
>>
>>381067637
>>that episode of Sopranos when they have a kike tied up and they're trying to get him to divorce his wife.
Funnily enough, it was their jew friend who suggested to give him a "bris" if he didn't cooperate.
>>
>>381074000
>Making daily GTA 4 threads trying to defend that mess, failing miserably
>That's because people like talking about GTA in general, not because GTA IV is some underrated gem
>this [thread I provided] totally happened. All I've seen lately are threads completely abusing the game
>You can't force people to like it.
Were these not shallow attempts to support a claim that nobody here likes GTA IV? The first quote implies you think that because you think OP's threads to gather people who like the game fail miserably, and I provided proof that they don't. It also should be noted that OP wasn't trying to defend anything in the first place, which means this quote makes even less sense. The second quote was an attempt to deflect that proof by making the claim that those posters only like GTA in general, and therefore, also implying that nobody likes IV specifically and wanted to talk about it. The third quote is meaningless anecdotal evidence to suggest that the only reason why people bring up IV is to shit on it, not because they like it, which I refuted with my own anecdotal evidence to the contrary. The fourth quote makes the assumption that nobody likes IV through the claim that I have to force people to like it, and that nobody would talk about it otherwise, to which I provided evidence to the contrary. The only defense I made of the game was your claim that Niko never tried to have a normal life, through the two posts I first quoted.

>terrible driving
The driving was the best driving in any open world game to date.
>aiming was broken
The aiming was amazingly precise.
>no mission variety
http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Lure_(GTA_IV)
>wasn't well written
The plot was beautifully and subtly written.
>huge step down from SA
The game was a huge step up from San Andreas.
See, I can post unsubstantiated claims as well. Although, if you actually read the thread I quoted and some of the posts in this thread, you'll find that
my fourth claim has some weight to it.
>>
>When you walk into a village and you see fifty children, all sitting neatly in a row against the church wall, each with their throats cut and their hands chopped off, you realize that the creature who could do this doesn't have a soul
>>
>>381036065
Niko was a great character but was a terrible GTA protag. The disconnect was too much.
>>
>>381075623
>The driving was the best driving in any open world game to date.
How can anyone even begin to take you seriously? The unstable suspension aside, you couldn't go above 40 without the map not generating fast enough. The city wasn't even made to reach top speed at any point.
It's was unbelievably shit.
>>
>>381077334
*proceeds to run over a ped*
>>
>>381077593
>See, I can post unsubstantiated claims as well
>>
>>381077663
Play the game, there's your substance. At this point you're describing an imaginary product.
>>
>>381047994
He'd definitely enjoy it.
I always treated GTA IV like a life simulator out of missions. Doing cabbie missions for Roman was one of my favorite ways to spend time.
>>
>>381077731
Dude, I meant that the claim I made is unsubstantiated, not yours
>>
>>381053094
Niko was just as much a hero as Vic Vance
>>
>>381048847
Really? I don't even remember seeing him. When did you kill him?
>>
>>381043379
>>381043550
>>381043741

https://youtu.be/OYvt_DEZ5kM

Didn't know this, this is classic
>>
>>381077981
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf0u2Gi1XSs
Wherever this bit is from
>>
>>381050378
I love the urban setting it has going for it.
Liberty City at night during the rain is a sight to behold.
I never got something out of GTA V, but that's mainly because I've always hated Californian cities. They just seem very phony and dishonest; make me uneasy. Liberty City, for all the garbage and such you could find was more comforting.
>>
>>381043227
for the same reason anyone venerates silent self-insert protagonists
>>
>>381078235
MUH GORDON FREEMAN
>>
>>381044291
This may be true but I still can't bring myself to choose it on subsequent replays, I care about Roman too much
>>
>>381078364
I get him killed to prevent the daily phonecall about bowling.
>>
>>381056731
Karen is the one who dies, you dingus.
>>
Considering the difference in tone between IV and V and seeing what happened to most of the characters that went from one game to another, are you glad that Niko didn't make an actual appearance in V?
>>
>>381078524
No, but I'm glad that the crybaby voice actor made sure he will never reappear in the series.
>>
>>381078524
I'd say at best, Niko could have been the TFS Tenshinhan of GTA V
>I am the only serious character on this show; that's the joke
but honestly, I'd say it's better he didn't appear. V had enough problems with fleshing out its main characters already; how is there any room for an old one?
>>
>>381067000
This game has the best intro in the whole series.
>>
Niko was a human trafficker, wasn't he?
>>
CJ is one of the few black MCs that aren't MUH GANGSTA MUH BROTHA WE WUZ KANGZ
>>
Trevor is up there, if you're not retarded. There is a lot going on there, anyone who tells you Michael isn't the worst of the three is delusional.
>>
>>381079089
He smuggled people out of Russia, and assumedly Serbia and all those countries surrounding the Mediterranean, into Italy.
>>
>>381078596
Story?
>>
>>381079102
Yeah, unlike Sweet CJ actually wants to progress like an adult. Grove Street is a shithole and he wants to get out of there, but he actually works to do it. Goes to Liberty City and even when he's confined in San Andreas by Tenpenny he actually becomes the most influential GTA protagonist in the entire saga.
>>
>>381079121
Trevor is a joke character, that's pretty much it.
>What if the protagonist acted like the player?
Michael was the best main character in V.
Franklin goes by so unceremoniously that I can't even be mad at him.
>>
>>381079396
Dude got paid $80k or thereabouts for his role and then flipped out when he saw the stories about the game being the highest grossing game of all time (back then.) He tried to get more money out of Rockstar instead of firing the dumbass agent that didn't negotiate a better deal for him.
>>
>>381079573
Damn. Poor guy.
>>
>>381079679
>poor guy
He got a decent annual wage for recording like a week's worth of work, then got pissy because he didn't do a 5 minute google search to find out that the game was massively anticipated and almost guaranteed to go massive.
>>
>>381079771
>GTA IV lines
>a week's worth of work
>>
>>381079943
>voice acting
>"""work"""
>>
>>381079571
Eh, there were some bits I found interesting about him; the wiki basically sums them up
>In direct contrast to his erratic and chaotic nature, Trevor also appears to be highly intelligent and somewhat cultured. Although seemingly lacking of refined tastes, Trevor speaks in the most eloquent manner out of all three protagonists, utilizing elaborate and complex vocabulary as well as displaying a surprisingly dry wit.
>It must be noted that having studied 4 years at a military academy, Trevor is the only GTA protagonist to date with a college degree, possibly explaining his use of complex vocabulary and hinting at a sophisticated nature that he might or might not be intentionally masking.
>While it is never stated in-game, Trevor shows textbook signs of Intermittent Explosive Disorder; a mental condition which includes episodes of impulsive behaviour that could result in serious damage to anyone and anything around them, aggression grossly disproportionate to what provoked it, and episodic violence that cannot be categorized with any other existing mental and physical medical condition.
>Although very rarely seen in game, Trevor appears to be secretly ashamed and a bit scared of his personality. When hanging out with both Michael and Franklin simultaneously, Trevor might reveal in an ashamed tone that he doesn't want his mother to see him like this. If Trevor hangs out with Lamar enough times, he will admit to Lamar that sometimes he realizes how he's thinking (fixation on violence, horrible brutalities etc.) and gets scared of himself. If Trevor huffs gas on his trailer porch, he may sometimes mutter that he feels suicidal.
>This could hint that all the reckless stunts Trevor commits might be subconscious attempts of getting killed. When drunk with Franklin, Trevor talks about being lonely and asks Franklin to hold him. When Franklin replies with jokes, Trevor starts crying; "Why are you joking!? I said I'm lonely!".
Keywords are "rarely seen in game"
>>
>>381079003
It seems like the most appropriate to the game
out of all others

some of them are really close behind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpTq9_rf_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIw-_JM90EY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IgJRQwjnbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCvAaFB3eNA

I feel like noir/jazz theme fits GTA games really well
>>
>>381079571
GTA v honestly would've been much better without Trevor and the retarded drama he keeps starting
>>
>>381080224
While I love the theme (again, one of my favorites), I meant the usage of both the imagery and the track for the introductory cutscene. It's very cinematographic, and yet the game remembers its supposed to be a game unlike more modern titles that feel they either have to be completely games or just movies with the bare minimum gamelplay to be qualified as a game.
>>
>>381080353
Trevor should have been the main antagonist from the get-go rather than a playable character.
>>
>>381080132
While that is interesting, it's obvious that just contributes to the comedy of the character by making the most savage and disgusting PC also the most cultured and refined in his vocabulary.
It's kind of Jack Sparrow's fixation of mixing pirate speak with much more eloquent expressions.
Still, kudos to the writers for trying to give more depth to the joke character; I have to give them credit for that.
>>
>>381080353
>>381080440
Actually after just saying that that would be amazing. If Trevor goes frothing mouth apeshit after learning what Michael did and you spend the rest of the game getting chased by Trevor across San Andreas until Franklin and Michael finally manage to turn the tables on him for some reason.
>>
>>381080615
Would you still be able to control him? As, you choose who wins the confrontation by doing the missions of each side?
>>
>>381080846
I dunno man that game never got made. What we got was "Be backstabbing pussy to Michael, Be backstabbing pussy to Trevor, or BEST FRIENDS FOREVER ENDING"

I think the obsession with choice is rather overrated, and Franklin should have died in the BFF ending at the very list.
>>
>>381080509
I bring up those points because what a lot of people miss about Franklin is that he shares those same depressive, suicidal tendencies Trevor does, and they are also very rarely shown. You have to smoke weed with him, and listen to his combat dialogue attentively, but it's definitely there. I feel like their mutual issues could have been a really interesting concept to explore, and the player could see what really lies beneath the sarcasm and stoicism of Franklin and the psychopathy of Trevor. It could have led to a more substantial characterization of both Franklin and Trevor, and a more grounded friendship between them, as we see them deal with their issues together, and build trust as a result. We could also see how they discuss their moms: Franklin's mom died to drugs and that's one of the sources of his depression, and Trevor's mom, who he fears, is currently dying to drugs. Franklin questioning Trevor more closely about his mom and him letting her live the way she lives once they grow close and Trevor feels more comfortable discussing his fears. These, in my opinion, would have been a very novel commentaries on the nature of depression and suicide, on families afflicted by drug abuse, and on destroyed households in general. These could have been among the serious moments the story really needed.
>>
>>381081093
Those are really interesting features, but as you've said, they didn't implement them into the game enough. If the game wasn't so focused in satire and comedy we could have gotten more out of its characters.
I still blame GTA IV reception for this; most casual players just wanted more shit to shoot at instead of fully fleshed out characters.
>>
>>381079573
It was 100grand. Yeah what a stupid mother fucker. I would've loved to have seen Niko in GTAV. He should've fired his agent as you said, but decided to try and fuck with R*
>>
>>381077651
Hey, at least he didn't cut his hands off
>>
>>381081093
No man GTA has to be WACKYYYYYYYY LOOK AT THIS FUCKING CHARACTER ISN'T HE JUST CRAZY
>>
File: enb2014_3_13_12_35_38.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
enb2014_3_13_12_35_38.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
comfy
>>
>>381081765
I loved the northern end of Alderney, made up for the rest of the island being somewhat lackluster
>>
>>381081491
Is it 2005 where you live?
>>
>>381081765
Alderney, as underwhelming as it might have been compared to the other two islands, was pretty nice to walk around.
>>
File: 1490927056963.png (401KB, 569x424px) Image search: [Google]
1490927056963.png
401KB, 569x424px
>>381048374
>>381048561
>tfw getting nostalgic from TBoGT already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJvGLJDeMIE

such good times
>>
>>381081272
It really, really makes me sad; I genuinely think there is so much more to all three protagonists that could and should be explored, but I just cannot change the fact that ~70 missions and some obscure side activities just weren't enough for these three. The saddest thing is that the presence of these serious moments would enrich the satire, not take away from it, since if these three were closer to real people the satire would be given more credence; it's as if real people are commenting on our real world, instead of just caricatures. You could approach the satire from different angles. If Franklin and Trevor make certain comments about the world, but we know they suffer from clinical depression and are currently dealing with their issues, how would this same satire be approached by someone like Michael, or even Amanda and the kids, who don't have depression? Which side would have more credence? Michael's, aka the more objective side, since they don't have depression, or Franklin and Trevor, who are victims of the world around them and therefore know just how damaging the world can be? The battle of perspectives between the three that we see a bit of in the current story could be a whole lot more nuanced, and have a greater connection to the world we know, as well as theirs.
>>
>>381080074
>work
>>
>>381037091
>muh pointless murder
>proceeds to slaughter hundreds of people
>>
>>381082031
Sounds like you need to write a novel, friendo.
>>
>>381080354
oh my bad

But yeah, I'll agree on that too. GTAs before and after IVth seem to mostly use intro as a way to establish location and introduce us to a plot. IV does that too but in a more stylish subtle way, focusing on mood and character of the city while, as you mentioned, integrating gameplay in a passable manner.
Don't think there is much to say about pre IV cinematography and pacing, but it's surprising, as I rewatch Vs intro, to notice lackluster presentation, in your face characters stories, lack of charisma, hollywood produced music etc. I mean I understand GTA V has other goals on it's mind, but how they managed to loose charm so easily is a bit silly.
>>
>>381082379
I don't really remember GTA V's introductory sequence that much. The game starts off with Michael, Trevor and another guy robbing a bank, right?
>>
>>381082118
Thanks man, I try. I forgot to add that with no single player DLC, we'll never see these issues expanded upon. I would have loved to have some more low-key, slice-of-life missions, like we got in all the other GTAs, alongside the more action-y stuff. We could have had a more direct platform for the intergenerational conflict that's presented all around the game world. Michael, Trevor, and Amanda are from the old generations, Franklin and Lamar are kind of in the middle, and Jimmy and Tracey are the newer bunch. More room for satire, and we could have gotten some great chemistry and relationship building between every side, and hey, maybe something one side says may help cure some problem the other sides had, like for example, Jimmy and Tracey are hiding a sense of idealism fostered by possible connections they've made with randoms over the Internet, and this along with tidbits they might have picked up from those randoms might help give Michael or even Lamar new perspectives on things, or at least subtly introduced the possibility. There's great potential for comedy as well, more of the "Jimmy explains the internet to Michael" type moments, shit like that.
>>
>>381082379
my belief is that rockstar half assed the singleplayer in V because of the stupidly high amount of people who literally never touched the singleplayer in IV and only ever played multiplayer in it
hell, when V first released didn't Rockstar only turn on V's multiplayer like 4 days after the game came out to try to get more people to at least attempt the singleplayer
>>
>>381041592
he got dragged back in because Carl was a spineless faggot that got cucked back into crime thanks to his retarded brother
>>
>>381047114
>american education
>>
>>381042517
>>381041592
The protag of the Gameboy game just wanted out cause he finally had enough money to last him a lifetime
It's pretty much the motivation of almost every GTA protag: get enough cash, get out of the game. Except for Tommy, he wanted an empire.
>>
File: 3904221-1949462088-compu.png (7KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
3904221-1949462088-compu.png
7KB, 429x410px
>>381047114
>There is no such thing as forced to go to war
You're probably fishing for replies, you're still retarded either way, you know?
>>
File: ch.webm (59KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
ch.webm
59KB, 326x326px
>still no GTA V story expansion/DLC
I'm still waiting to buy your fucking 4 years old game Rockstar. The online can't be making that much money, r-right.
>>
>>381083921
at this point a huge, huge bulk of the playerbase has Literally never touched the singleplayer story
I would not be surprised if the next GTA was multiplayer only
>>
>>381082680
Yeah, that's the prologue. High octane bank robbery with a lot of gameplay that serves as an tutorial. I was talking about the "intro" that goes after the treavors death, after GTA logo. There is a scene with a Michaels psychiatrist, tinny montage of a city with theme music and transition to a Franklin.

It's generally hard to describe, since it's so stretched. You get so much thing happening, characters, story, locations, gameplay... So naturally it's hard to follow and, in the end, remember. There is no conclusive though that you get introduced to, no moment of rest for the player. Vs intro is like an hour long maybe even more since I'd say it ends at the moment you get access to all 3 character and do bunch of missions for them, hard to pinpoint exactly where it stops. Comparing to IVs into, where every part plays of one another, pacing, visual queues and style. On top of that we have music that neatly tide everything together forming a good perspective of what will unravel before us.
>>
>>381083921
Yeah, they are, sad part is that they keep adding stuff to the online while completely forgetting the single player, the online has double the content, I'm not even joking, it's fucking sad anon.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>muh war
>muh suffering
>muh beheaded children

>Jacob: "I might want you to murder more people for me, kay?"
>Nico: "Murdering people for you was a pleasure. I will gladly kill more but you also have to pay me a couple hundred dollars."

what did he mean by it...
>>
>>381036065
I love GTA 4 threads. In every other thread people insulting each other, go full /pol/ but about the only big budget game which has an literal illegal immigrant as protagonist there are no /pol/tards, but intelligent discussions about the story and the characters.

GTA 4 has more potential for /pol/ discussions than Wolfenstein but had none of it, I love it.
>>
>>381084530
>You killed my friends for one thousand dollars?!
>>381063085 pic
>How much do you charge to kill someone?
That's what he meant.
>>
>>381036065
that isn't saying much anon
>>
>>381042823
He shot Maria at the end because she talked like a waterfall. Claude was based.
>>
>>381043853
Jacob. He says that Dwayne reminds him of himself, but he is actually annoyed that he must cry about the simplest things, Jacob is more or less like Niko and their discussions if they go out are more like a real friendship feel like.
>>
M4 or AK-47?
>>
>>381087746
The M4 felt more accurate to me. The AK has too much recoil.
>>
>>381087746
Depends, are you about to fuck shit up or operate?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqE8M2ZnFL8
best gta theme
>>
File: c o m p l e x.png (95KB, 171x281px) Image search: [Google]
c o m p l e x.png
95KB, 171x281px
>>381036065
>>
Niko deserved happiness.
>>
>>381079485
I liked the subtle references in V that CJ still lives and is somehow a big Name.
>>
>>381048847
>>381078072
Holy fuck, I was grinding so fast to get finished with this fucking game, I totally missed him
>>
>>381082054
It's about betrayal, it's one thing to slaughter thousands of strangers, another thing to stab your friends in the back.
>>
>>381040076
>>381040226
The driving in IV was so much fucking fun compared to V, in V it felt like a generic arcade game.
>>
>>381081298
He wasn't that good that you couldn't replace him with another actor, he did a good job, but nothing extremely remarkable.
Another case is the voice actor of Johnny or the one for John Marston, these guys have really remarkable voices.
>>
>>381044291
Revenge is canon anyways. Roman is alive come GTAV
>>
>>381079573
The faggot couldn't even bother to find out how to properly pronounce the Serbo-Croatian, fucking asswipe.
>>
>>381078463
No dumbass, Karen == Michelle, it's Kate who dies in 1 of the 2 endings, Karen/Michelle is still alive in GTA 5.
>>
>>381092073
Nah, that's on the director of the voice acting who didn't either get him a dialect coach, tell him to get one himself, or get the correct pronunciation from a native speaker and then make sure he got it right in the booth.
>>
>>381092529
Still though, why wouldn't he go the extra mile? Not like it would even be that difficult to make an attempt. It's really bad in the game, his intonation is completely off in so many places.
>>
>>381037091
lately it's been
>lel Niko is literally like all other white dudes
>>
>>381048693
There's a bit after their first meeting where a disgusted Niko mumbles in Serbian as he's leaving "it's just like back home", and the guy just blankly answers in Serbian that yes, yes it is.

>>381053071
Best fucking missions in the game too. Working for him was fun.
>>
>there are people that actually let Roman die
Let that sink in
>>
why is it so much better than V?
>>
>>381093627
I didn't 'let' him die, I was trying to do what I thought was best for us all ;_;
>>
>>381093627
People find him annoying, but he contributes so much more than TITTAYS and being a leeching prick.
>>
>>381093627
I didn't even bother with Kate at all through my first playthrough. Then suddenly she's just thrusted into the end as if I was hanging out with her for a long time.
>>
>>381091690
This. It took practice to get it down, but once you did it was rewarding and just fun.
>>
Serbs are niggers of Europe. Niggers are bad.
>>
>>381096043
No that's Albanians
>>
>>381096129
No, Gypsies.
>>
>>381079485
I hated Sweet so much. Such an ungrateful asshole.
>>
File: IMG_1274.jpg (98KB, 550x338px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1274.jpg
98KB, 550x338px
>>381039242
Kek
>>
So, which girlfriend was best for Niko, aside from Kate even if you disagree that she's the one?
>>
>>381040076
>Debatable. The shooting in V is in itself better

Hell fucking no. The weapons in V were a joke. You got like 7 pistols in SP? Too bad they all feel the fucking same. Just like the automatic rifles or shotguns. Attaching a suppressor to your weapon makes it even more laughable
>>
>>381097308
Just compare the pump shotgun in IV to V's shotguns. There is no weight, no force. Feels like your playing airsoft.
>>
>>381097120
SJW lawyer
>>
>>381097958
Were there SJW in 2008?
>>
>>381062336
Michael is my favorite because they try to make him an interesting character yet everyone around him refers to him as a murderous psychopath. Perfect balance, trevor is a bit too far in that direction.
>>
>>381083036
I wouId genuinely pay money to see an analysis of the characters and themes of both IV and V the way you've done here. I genuinely would never have caught on that Franklin was as depressed, if not more so, than Trevor. I always thought that it was Michael who had the most reason to hate himself up until Reuniting the Family but now that I think about it, Franklin and Trevor have shittier lives than he does even at Michael's lowest point.
>>
File: BillyGrey-TLAD.png (172KB, 581x591px) Image search: [Google]
BillyGrey-TLAD.png
172KB, 581x591px
What the fuck was his problem? never despise or hate videogame character this much
>>
>>381036065
WHY DOES HE PRONOUNCE HIS OWN SURNAME WRONG?
>>
>>381098376
Dementia, drug abuse and too much of an ego for a very small position.
This is what happens when you're in yours 60s and hanging out with the gang you formed when you were 20.
>>
I'LL CUT OFF YOUR FUCKING HEAD
>>
>>381065112
Franklin

He was just so fucking bland, and considering the characters don't get as many of their own missions to flesh them out as they did in previous gtas, all of them in 5 are a little shallow.

I still love Michael, though.
>>
>>381065112
all of GTA V protagonists and that nigger from gta vicecity stories
>>
Part of me kind of wishes the deal ending was the one which didn't get Roman killed and therefore be the "better" ending of the two, simply because I kinda feel like the story would've wrapped up better if Niko had moved past his need for revenge on everyone. As it is, him gunning for revenge on Dmitri as the better ending of the two seems like a step backward for his character
>>
>>381098307
I don't have one written for every character, but I have one for Bernie, which you might have seen before, and one for Franklin that's still a work in progress. Would you like to see them?
>>
>>381098472
He was only a few years older than Johnny, not even in his fourties.
>>
>>381099283
That sounds great actually, please do share.
>>
>>381099390
Really?
He aged like milk, didn't he?
>>
>>381098927
I felt like the act of making the deal with Dimitri, despite the normal risks compounded by the fact that Dimitri has betrayed Niko once before, was Niko's way of moving past his need for revenge, all so he could do what Roman, and probably Bernie as well, wanted of him the whole time, which was find a peaceful solution to his problems. When that went south, much like everything in Niko's life, and the ramifications extended towards Roman, who was basically the light of Niko's life and the reason why he did the things he did, dying, Niko had no choice but to return to his old ways and take down Dimitri the only way he knows how, through violence. And here we see the trend of Niko never being able to escape his past return one last time.
>>
File: iv.jpg (30KB, 1297x109px) Image search: [Google]
iv.jpg
30KB, 1297x109px
God dammit, /v/, why you gotta make me do this again.
>>
File: Rdr_john_marston.jpg (90KB, 717x717px) Image search: [Google]
Rdr_john_marston.jpg
90KB, 717x717px
>>381036065
does grand theft horse count?
>>
>>381036065
>CTRL + F
>gay tony
>no result
tbq
>>
>>381036065
I dunno, I was too bored by the shitty game he was in to notice.
>>
File: 1497713591232.jpg (60KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1497713591232.jpg
60KB, 768x1024px
>>381099497
Bernie was interesting because he is essentially Niko's foil: both have the same eyebrow scar, and both endured the same atrocities and betrayals in their home countries. But unlike Niko, who only sank deeper into his self-hatred and depression and chased something that still would have never made him happy because he would still have been the same husk of a man afterwards, as he later finds out, Bernie was actually able to move on and make a better life for himself by moving to America, becoming a fitness trainer, and starting a relationship with Bryce Harper, the mayor of all people. He's not "Florian Cravic" anymore, he's "Bernie," because he was able to put his past behind him, optimistically look to the future, and ultimately, be happy with who he is. He made it. Acceptance of his latent homosexuality, taking place off-screen, is another device that shows the malleability of character and self esteem. Despite this, during Niko's first interaction with him, the player sees that Florian is still deep inside Bernie. When Niko accuses Bernie of betraying their unit, Bernie's voice loses the flamboyant edge and reverts to the raspy Serbian accent we've come to associate with Niko as he yells "I wouldn't do that!" Furthermore, when Niko asks Bernie where Darko is, Florian's voice comes out again, in order to say the decidely hostile-toned "Dead, I hope!" Bernie pauses for a second here, as if he's struggling with himself, before his flamboyant accent returns and he voices out a more cordial "I'm not sure," complete with exaggerated hand movements. As Niko's foil, we see the changes in Niko's character through Bernie as the story progresses.

(cont. next post)
>>
>>381036065

GTA IV was amazing and Niko Bellic was quite possibly the best vidya character ever made
>>
>>381100557
Niko is so resistant to change that he's rendered in disbelief when he finds that Roman has forgotten their original language and opted to speak English instead, and insists on calling Bernie "Florian" even after Bernie asked him multiple times to do otherwise. It's only after Niko spares Darko Brevic, and is finally able to put at least some of his past behind him, when he calls Bernie "Bernie" in the phone call that follows, and makes a promise to hang out and have fun, something which he never wanted to do with Bernie prior. Bernie, barring the homosexuality, is what Roman wanted Niko to be all along, and tried to foster in Niko by staying by his side and getting him to have fun with family and friends in America.
>>
>>381100136
This would just be cheating. Marston is a more successful Niko in his quest of redemption except he dies at the end
>>
>>381084545
It's because Niko is white.
>>
>>381100589
That's quite the statement to make.
>>
>>381041137

God the things I'd do to Jay...
>>
>>381100705
Fantastic work, anon. I love the little character moments in this game so much and it's great seeing them put into words like this.
>>
>>381065112
V antagonists were shit, but for me the title of the worst one would go to the guy from Liberty City Stories. He was just so underdeveloped, by the time you kill him in the final mission I wasn't even sure who the fuck he was again.

As for Protagonists, probably Franklin. Just bland and boring through and through
>>
>>381101190
Thanks man, Franklin's coming up; just gotta grab some screenshots and clean things up a bit.
>>
>>381047140
that's just lacking consistency
>>
>>381101495
They were just a couple of assholes. They didn't have charisma. Just compared them with Tenpenny or Dimitri. Those were evil, straight up monsters. The ones in V always seem more like jerks than they did monsters.
>>
>>381101639
Well, Darko is a helpless junkie. Dimitri is an actual threat to Niko and those who are close to him. He kidnapped Roman on a whim just to fuck with Niko. Also, he's shown he's not beyond betrayal. Several times. Taking him down is in everyone's best interests.
>>
>>381101190
>>381101581
Hopefully you get the gist.

Franklin is interesting because he’s a bit of a subversion. The normal trope for a black guy from the hood is that he wants to get out of it, and go completely straight, no crime whatsoever. Franklin's a subversion of this; he still wants to leave the hood behind, but not crime in general, just progress to higher-level crime. He has a few other aspects to his personality as well.

He's ambitious, which works as both a good aspect of his character and a character flaw: the good aspect is that he's a very action-oriented person; he's not the type to sit around and ask for handouts, he will work for what he wants and he will do whatever he has to do to get the job done because he wants to die having accomplished something. You can see this through the diverse roles he is given in the heists and the stunts he pulls in some of the missions, such as in the truck driving one where he climbs into the JB 700 while the truck is going full speed away from the cops. His ambition, combined with his naivete, has worked against him too; he's as foolhardy as Lamar in choosing who to work with, and his inexperience has led him to be taken advantage of multiple times. Yet his ambition still claws away at him, so he works and works anyway in the increasingly vain hope that he'll be compensated, whether it be through a payday or a true friend.

He's pragmatic and rational, and this is shown by him always taking the role of the straight man in the comedic moments of the storyline, whether it be in contrast to Michael, Trevor, Lamar, Tanisha, Tanya, and any of his other friends and the neutral party/middleman in the serious moments. When Lamar gets into trouble or does something stupid, when Michael and Trevor's bad blood interferes with the job, or when Stretch lets his aggression control him, Franklin is always the one who has to pick up the slack and control the situation, and he usually does so effectively.

Cont.
>>
File: Boxart-Franklin-GTAV.png (2MB, 1113x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Boxart-Franklin-GTAV.png
2MB, 1113x1280px
>>381102646
His pragmatism allows him to do those jobs effectively, and that is why he's so valued by Michael, Trevor, and Lamar; he's always someone to rely on. For Michael, Franklin is the only static crew member on Michael's heist crew (granted, I know that it's mostly because he's a playable character) but my point stands because canonically, Franklin has never failed a role Michael has put him in; only the other heist crew members can fail. Coupled with the fact that Franklin has never failed Michael when asked to aid Michael with family matters, and the fact that he was able to convince Trevor to reveal Michael was kidnapped and subsequently track down and save Michael by himself, he gains Michael's trust. He does almost the same thing for Trevor and the O'Neill's and that's partly why he has Trevor's trust. He saves Lamar multiple times using quick-thinking, and that's why they're a duo. His pragmatism and stoicism came off as "boring" to a lot of people, but I like it because his pragmatism gives him a reason to be in the story, and it gives him purpose. One of the reasons Franklin might hate Stretch is because Stretch never grew up much like Lamar, but he has none of Lamar's good qualities. Franklin might want to be pragmatic because it allows him to escape his problems through stoicism; he doesn't want to end up like Stretch, who sells out his fellow gang members over a grudge.

Cont. 2
>>
File: 2478164-2751857776.jpg (47KB, 497x640px) Image search: [Google]
2478164-2751857776.jpg
47KB, 497x640px
>>381102764
He was indeed gullible and naive, but what do you expect? Franklin, a former gangbanger and repo man who was previously imprisoned, and therefore only has experience with low-level crime, now has to deal with the struggle of helping to conduct operations of higher level crime by keeping the operation together, while dealing with the social manipulation of government agents and seasoned criminals, and keep his relationships somewhat stable at the same time. It's a lot to juggle, and quick and brash decisions need to be made due to the unpredictability of his friends. His only experience before the heists was a small robbery that failed due to dye packs, he never had a chance to learn otherwise, and now he has to deal with the likes of Steve Haines and Devin Weston, who run large operations and have connections, and are experienced in manipulating small time criminals. Franklin shows that he can figure out when something is shady, such as in The Long Stretch when Lamar sets up a deal with the Ballas and Franklin knows that something will go wrong; he gets involved with both Haines and Weston: Haines because of Michael's involvement with Dave Norton and Weston because of Michael handing him over to Weston in order to meet the director he admires so much. It's all a consequence of his ambition.
>>
File: Franklin-and-GSF.GTAV.jpg (169KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Franklin-and-GSF.GTAV.jpg
169KB, 1280x720px
>>381102870
Another thing of note is that his character development is fairly stagnant besides him gaining experience in the ways of higher level crime. I actually don't think it's a bad thing because I feel that he was never meant to be THE main character or the focus of the story in the first place. Franklin's the outsider, in terms of his race, upbringing, experience, and in his status as the designated middleman. The neutral party. GTA 5's story is mainly about the bad blood between Michael and Trevor, and it's an attempt to tackle the dilemma of the relative importance of family vs. friends, albeit in a distinctly GTA fashion, and this is done through Michael's and Trevor's worldviews, which clash and they change as a result. They're volatile characters, and Franklin is not. Steve Haines and Devin Weston know this, he's the outsider, the observer, and that's why he's given the final choice. A static character is predictable, and that's why they don't have to worry about Franklin. He's static to Haines because he doesn't deviate from his assigned job, and he's static to Michael and Trevor because of the image he gave both of them: that he's unequivocally loyal. Since that is the case, they would not have any reason to suspect his betrayal, and Haines knows this too, that's why he asks Franklin to kill Trevor because Trevor knows Michael's character might shift again, so he will not let Michael "get close to him," while he thinks Franklin's static personality makes him a reliable friend, so Franklin is the only one who can get close to him.

Cont. 4
>>
File: Franklin dialogue 1.png (666KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Franklin dialogue 1.png
666KB, 1440x900px
>>381102969
Franklin seems to suffer from depression and suicidal tendencies, things he’s carried with him ever since the death of his mom. We can see those suicidal tendencies in the stuff he does during the missions to get the job done, his combat dialogue where he shouts out to his enemies to shoot him and that he wishes they would "book" him and get it over with, and in the weed smoking activity, where you apparently see that he blames himself for his mom's death to cocaine, and his aunt harassing him about it constantly doesn't help matters. His broken relationships in general have probably done a number on his self-esteem, and this doesn't change after the storyline's over; he's almost always alone in his "castle" in Vinewood Hills, so to speak. His ending is a lot different from CJ's that's for sure, which is interesting because they both essentially proved the same thing at the end of the story, their loyalty, yet Franklin comes out a lot worse, it's like another subversion Franklin shows, he defies the "hood loyalty=happiness for life" trope.

Cont. 5
>>
File: Franklin dialogue 2.png (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Franklin dialogue 2.png
1MB, 1440x900px
>>381103104
Franklin’s depression doesn’t seem like it’ll be cured, considering he was actually better than most of his “homies." Lamar is loyal but a dumbass who almost gets them both killed routinely, and only took the repo job because of Franklin, Denise is a supposed independent woman but has to share her rent with Franklin, kicks him out, and will take any handout she can get, as shown when she gleefully takes money from Trevor, and wants him to continue his gangbanging lifestyle to his detriment, Tanisha is supposedly a good woman yet ditches Franklin to go off with a doctor, and then proceeds to rag on Franklin for not being loyal to Lamar, Stretch is a volatile person stuck in the past who repeatedly tries to have both Franklin and Lamar killed, and Tanya and her boyfriend are both crackheads who offload their work to Franklin as soon as opportunity arises. Franklin was the only one in his hood who wanted to make something of himself on his own terms by his own plans, he succeeded, and was subsequently criticized by his homies for reaping the benefits of his success. I don't know about you, but if I was Franklin, I would want to stay away from his homies too, yet he never completely does; he's always there to save Lamar when he needs help even though he knows Lamar is a bad influence, and that's loyalty.

And that's all of it. It's still a work in progress, but hopefully you guys understand it.
>>
You know what would have been cool? Some sort of gang war between various yugoslav gangs
Imagine blasting this as you're in a shootout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9-mYg5VDzQ
>>
>>381103232
>>381103104
>>381102969
>>381102870
>>381102764
>>381102646
Not anybody in this thread but well done for capturing him so well.
He's universally hated and I get it, but he's not a bad character. Just a subtle one.

i daresay he shares similar qualities with Connor from ac3?
>>
>>381040076
V is so easy to do stuff man
>>
>>381103824
Franklin's universlally hated? jesus christ but normies love Trevor aren't they?
>>
>>381103824
Stuff like this is why I think GTA V has so much potential in terms of its characters. Even after writing this, I still feel a bit disappointed. You'll notice that my paragraph on Franklin's depression is quite short. I would have loved to expand on it, but there just wasn't enough material to work with (both of those screenshots are from The Long Stretch, which happens to be my favorite mission), although I might just be lazy. The Long Stretch is like the 9th mission in the story mode. If I just had more, I could have written at least 2 or 3 posts more on it, especially considering if what I say here>>381081093 was in the game, then I could have explored Franklin's friendship with Trevor based on their mutual issues in greater detail.
>>
>>381103824
Connor was fucked cause apparently some indians were watching the development of AC3, and whenever Ubi wanted to do something with Connor, the indians would disagree. So they just had him be this stoic silent motherfucker.
Hell, they even changed some gameplay stuff about him cause apparently Ubi can't use this tribe's x or this tribe's y, according to their indian consultants
>>
>>381104580
Yeah, a lot of people saw him as bland and boring; you only need to look further up the thread for evidence.
>>
>>381104580
He is more disliked than other characters. I do think he is hated though (as far as Internet hatred of perfectly decent but unassuming characters go).

>>381104606
Can't help but agree with you. Unlike the others, nothing is handed to you on the plate. The only small peeks into his past and what he is keeping quiet is revealed in the midst of combat when you can easily miss stuff, or the subtle actions of him turning up to Michael's house a few times. Its easy to see the father soon relationship, but you can read into alot about his character thriugh even the simplest of things when you look at in relation to other things.
And yeah, the Trevor stuff is good stuff that you're mentioning because... There is a weirdly sedated dynamic that they share where Trevor doesn't feel like he has to be stereotypical Trevor (from what I can remember. Haven't played it in a long time.)

>>381104606
There was a lot wrong with ac3 but that wasn't it at all, not even in the slightest. The issue was the huge developed teams and 3 different teams working on different things so he can occasionally seem inconsistent.

But my point was how Connor also seems a bit of a quiet and one dimensional character. And even if you argue he isn't that complex, he still is more than what people reduce him to.

He suffers from cut content a little too, and although I don't they cut much from Franklin's story, there's definitely the room for both of them to have some more characterization; even if it's more implicit characterisation.
>>
>>381098028
Anon means that Kiki aka LawChick was all about defending the little man. Personally I don't really care to use her until Francis' ability to call off cops goes away after I blow his fucking head off.

>>381097120
I like Alex even though she's bat shit crazy and her blogs about Niko are pretty funny.

>At least I hope that was peanut butter
>>
>>381103459
Seems pretty comfy; having shootouts under the elevated bridges
>>
>>381037729
Niko was good but GTA4 is not that good
>>
>>381106528
Was it Alex or Kiki who was basically a yandere character?
>>
>>381107674
Kiki even stalks you if you go out with the one girl you met through craplist.
>>
>>381108510
Nice, I heard she even slashes your tires if you leave your car somewhere, is that true?
>>
File: bowling.jpg (100KB, 600x621px) Image search: [Google]
bowling.jpg
100KB, 600x621px
>>
File: 1492745825732.gif (2MB, 260x200px) Image search: [Google]
1492745825732.gif
2MB, 260x200px
>>381107674
>>381108510
>>381108725
I know in SA though it's rare a girlfriend you're on a date with will end up having another girl you're dating show up and start trying to catch you cheating.

>tfw Denise shows up in San Fierro when I'm with the chubby chaser chick coincidentally named Michelle
>>
>>381104624
God Indians are whiny. We won. Move on, already.
>>
>>381103824
He's mostly hated because he's the one to kill Trevor or Michael and because people compare him to CJ, which Rockstar really should've predicted better.
>>
>>381102246
Devin is the ultimate capitalist; some manlet douche living out his repressed fantasies through wealth. It's just that he's sort of a piece if shit and non threatening villain for GTA. I liked Haines. Out of all the antagonists in V he was by far the best.

>look at me I'm a genuine government man!
>>
>>381108725
I don't know, but I wouldn't wonder if that would happen. I've played GTA IV once a year since his release and every time I find something new in this game which I didn't knew before, that Kiki can stalk you was new to me because I found out there is another dating option as I played it in 2015.
Same with the story recaps if you call Roman everytime after you finish a mission, it was completely new to me.
>>
>>381100860
/pol/ never gets worked up about CJ, either. What triggers /pol/ is forced diversity and unrealistic minority portrayal. Not saying it always has to be CJ, but you know exactly what I mean already, so.
>>
>>381110518
Here's another cool thing about the game; you might have listened to The Richard Bastion Show on WKTT at some point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0dq5RcxmKw
Well, the callers on that show were actual people Rockstar had call a certain number and state what they thought was wrong with America.
>>
>>381098927
Revenge is better. It wraps the game up so nicely, believe me.

>tfw going on The Platypus to take out Dimitri

It was a nice, false climax. Plus there's the metaphor of the virgin sacrifice (Kate) and Niko "achieving" the American Dream by killing a pathetic old man like Pegorino. I don't know, the only things I like better about the Deal ending was Phil and;

>Speak English.
>>
>>381098376
He and Michael remind me a lot of myself, is this bad? I really feel like Billy was ultra paranoid after leaving the klink.
>>
>>381098028
They were called hipsters then lol.

Kiki is more of an out if touch, white upper class girl. If she had any idea if the kinda guys she was actually dating her opinion might change. She's the type of person who can't distinguish between TV and real life and is all too willing to buy into the "victim mentality" most criminals have or use in their favour.
>>
>>381093716
I remember figuring that out the first day with my brother in the room. I was playing the mission where you chase that Balla and just said "you know, IV was better," and he said "REALLY?" as a kid who never really games but always watched me play IV. I just said "Yeah." And we sat there in silence for a bit.
>>
>>381111216
I personally think the "achievement" of the American Dream was conveyed just as tastefully in the Deal ending through the interaction between Niko and Jacob; I love how Jacob temporarily loses the Jamaican edge to his accent when he agrees with Niko that Roman never hurt anyone. It's as if he's coming out of his own metaphorical shell to help his dear friend in need. Also, the fact that he went to all the trouble to steal an Annihilator helicopter in that final mission just to help Niko makes Jacob even more awesome to me.
I also love how when Jacob says "You won," Niko just blankly and tiredly stares at him and the game ends by juxtaposing that interaction with the Statue of Happiness in the background. I just prefer the somber silence and the telling facial expressions of the Deal ending to Niko's dialogue about Pegorino. Add that on to everything you just said about the Deal ending and that's why I like it so much.

There's also this quote
>So this is what the dream feels like. This is the victory we longed for.
but I think that's in both endings.
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.