[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old-School Shooters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_4163.png (2MB, 1308x1312px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4163.png
2MB, 1308x1312px
All of these were classic shooter franchises that were revived or rebooted in the span of 5 years.
So tell me /v/ , to you,

Which one was the most enjoyable?
Which one was the most faithful to the original material?
Which one do you think will influence or impact the most in the future to FPS games in general?
What would you fix of any or all of them?
>>
>>380995668
>Which one was the most enjoyable?
D44M
>Which one was the most faithful to the original material?
also D44M I guess
>Which one do you think will influence or impact the most in the future to FPS games in general?
none of them
>>
BFE>SW>D44M>TNO
>>
Only played TNO and D44M.

D44M was better but I liked both.

I think TNO was too easy and while I did really like the story, it made you do too much of it where you weren't actually playing the game.
>>
BFE after you mod the fuck out of it
Doom & BFE
>Which one do you think will influence or impact the most in the future to FPS games in general?
none
>What would you fix of any or all of them?
BFE: make it more like the first two games in terms of gameplay (sprinting can actually stay)
SW: hire some actual writers and level designers and punch everyone in the dick who came up with the random nature of SW2
Wolfenstein: focus a lot more on the ridiculous aspects of the setting
DOOM: Haste speed should be the normal speed and those zombies that are everywhere but do jack shit should be an actual threat
>>
>>380997034
>>Which one was the most enjoyable?
>BFE after you mod the fuck out of it

This. Why the fuck do the rest have zero mod support?
>>
BFE has the best buttrock.
https://youtu.be/v5JqLwyI70w
>>
>>380995668
bfe>doom>>>wolfenstein>>>>>>shadowarriir
>>
>>380998496
In TNO and D44M's case it's megatextures that end up taking your average computer a shitload of time to render a single room from scratch. Not sure about Shadow Warrior though.
>>
>>380995668
Both D44M and SW.
Serious Sam.
To my dismay, Wolfenstein, to my joy, D44M. Those 2 were the biggest, so pretty much non-debatable.
Well, I just dislike The New order, so I'd change almost anything, the rest are perfect as they are.
>>
>tfw no one thankfully remembers this
>>
SW2013 was solid but what the hell were they thinking with SW2. I still enjoyed it for what it was but why did they have to turn it into a shoot-and-loot
>>
Serious Sam > D44M > Shadow Warrior >>>> Wolfenstein

Wolfenstein was basically CoD, don't know why retards like that shit
>>
>>380999638
Valiant effort but boi did it run like shit.
>>
Why are you autists calling it "D44M"
>>
>>381000418
Because it's the 4th doom game you idiot
>>
>>380995668
Serious Sam 3 BFE
Serious Sam 3 BFE. Out of the four games it has the most recurring enemies, weapons and mechanics.
D44M or Wolfenstein since normies ate it up
BFE - makes it more like The Second Encounter. The only thing holding that game back imo is the gimmicky rooms and some cheap enemy placement
The Shadow Warrior and D44M have similar problems, so I guess I'd just make them more like their 90s counterparts.
Wolfenstein could use some polishing in the combat department and less forced non-combat sections. Also more ridiculous shit like Mecha-Hitler
>>
>>381000558
then call it Doom 4.
>>
Wolfenstein
Serious Sam 3
Wolfenstein
I'd delete D44M.
>>
>>381000685
how new are you?
>>
>>380999638
I really wanted to like it, but holy shit was that game a mixed bag.

It was really ugly and gray, enemies were pretty cheap, platforming was tedious and the bosses were terrible.

The only legitimately good thing about it was the soundtrack

A for effort
C- for execution
>>
>>381000383
Did ANY of their games ever run properly?
RoTT didn't, Rad Rodgers didn't, Bombshell didn't and I wouldn't be surprised if even the Build Engine prequel of it will have framerate issues.
>>
>>381000847
how autistic are you?
>>
>>381000571
The thing that holds BFE back is precisely the lack of cheap enemy placement.
>>
>>381000904
>doesn't understand board jokes
>hurr you're le autisc ecks dee
fresh from the reddit boat I see
>>
>>381000571
>gimmicky rooms
But gimmicky rooms are like, half of Second Encounter.
>>
>>381001026
my bad senpai. I didn't realize i had to be glued to this board 24/7 to post here
>>
File: ROTT 2014-10-04 20-40-45-99.jpg (229KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ROTT 2014-10-04 20-40-45-99.jpg
229KB, 1920x1080px
>>381000884
>The only legitimately good thing about it was the soundtrack

That and the successful replication of politically incorrect 90s humor.
>>
>>380995668
All still better than ROTT. Seriously, what were they thinking with that one.
>>
>>381001201
Well, from what I gathered it was a faithful remake. The game itself was just completely obsolete.
>>
>>380995990
id say BFE+dlc>DOOD>SW>WNO

without dlc doom was just more enjoyable, bfe takes 4-5 levels before things get serious and sw has some serious issues with wonky weapons
>>
>>381001107
Not really, they're mostly in the South American episodes.

>>381001187
Oh yeah the weird humor was also great
>>
>>380995668
nuDoom and SS3 are the only ones that sort of feel like old school shooters.
Shadow Warriow was just trash, and Wolfenstein is a CoD reskin.
>>
>>380999638
It was even shittier than Shadow Warrior

Also, who's genius idea was it to make literally every single weapon a rocket launcher of some kind?
>>
>>381001726
Well that's how it was in the original
>>
>>380997034
>BFE after you mod the fuck out of it
Which mods are we talking about here?
>>
>>381001951
Well, I guess there's a reason no one remembers the original.
>>
File: Shogo.jpg (69KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
Shogo.jpg
69KB, 800x640px
>>380995668
I'm going to bet that I will be the only one in this thread, but for me, it was Shadow Warrior 2. It's seriously flawed, but it's also by far the most complex, interesting, creative and intricate in the lot. It's actually the closest modern shooters ever got to Painkiller.
My second favorite was Serious Sam 3.
nu-Wolfenstein and nu-Doom were... fine I guess, but they just eventually started boring me towards the end, and I never felt compelled to finish them.
Shadow Warrior 1 (the first remake, not the original, obviously) is utter garbage and Hard Reset is only marginally better.

Serious Sam is the one series that changed the least over time, but admitedly it's also because it's the newest one.

In the long run, I actually suspect Wolfenstein, with it's most "balanced" modern-to-old approach.

Oh man. Just the biggest things:

SW2: the list would be long, but the one BIGGEST thing is level design. It needed some 10 actual, proper unique levels, and about ten more tileset for the generated levels. It's just... you'll get to play the game level with slight variation upwards of eight time over the course of the main game. It's just boring. The level design itself is good, but the environment becomes insanely boring. Even UT campaign had the decency of not force you to play matches in repeating arenas for fuck sake...
Also: ACTUALLY FUCKING PROPER TUTORIALIZE AND FIX THAT FUCKING MISLEADING U.I.

SS3: remove the retarded enemies like The Witch for Christ sake! It ruins pacing something fierce.

W:NO: more weapon and enemy variety, bigger, more sprawling levels.

Doom: less fucking hideous art direction.

SW1/HR: just burn the shit to the ground. There is nothing to save there.

Also: someone make pic related sequel.
>>
>>381001958
Personally I like to use
-No reloading
-Double Barrel Alternate Animation
-Double Barrel Brighter Model
-Yellow Juvenile Arachnoids
-Anti-Witch-Bride mod
-Weapon SFX mod
-No Blood Splatter HUD
-Classic Font mod
>>
>>381002236
>It's actually the closest modern shooters ever got to Painkiller

What are you talking about D44M is much closer to Painkiller than Shadow Warrior and even moreso than Shadow Warrior 2.

Also you're forgetting Hard Reset
>>
File: ROTT 2013-08-10 14-11-02-92.jpg (625KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ROTT 2013-08-10 14-11-02-92.jpg
625KB, 1920x1080px
>>381001201
>what were they thinking with that one

They tried tons of baffling shit that backfired horribly

> no actual dev studio at that time - all of the company's staff is scattered across the globe and everything gets done through e-mails and chatrooms
> tried a Lego-esque approach to the level design which was supposed to make building levels easier for modders but resulted in a ridiculously high amount of draw calls and therefore low framerates on even the best systems of the time
> apparently wanted to implement bugs that occured during early playtesting as features, like a third arm growing out of your chest while aiming or more and more gibs coming out of corpses when shot - turns out that was just a cover-up to justify the insane amount of bugs in the game and in the end you didn't even know what was done intentional as a joke and what was a genuine bug or glitch, like for example skulls that bleed bacon when shot
> tried to implement as much of the original RoTT as accurate as possible which ended up with them also implementing a lot of the issues, too
>>
>>381002236
>Hard Reset is only marginally better
Fucking what? Hard Reset is worse in pretty much every way. It felt like playing a 6 hour tech demo for their engine. LOOK AT HOW MUCH EXPLOSIVE OBJECTS WE CAN CRAM INTO A ROOM.
Not to mention that it doesn't even have an ending, even after they added in a few more levels for free because the base game was just that short and underwhelming.
>>
>>381002309
Much appreciated. All the popular mods seem to be fucking memes so I was wondering which mods you were referring to.
>>
>>381002510
>What are you talking about D44M is much closer to Painkiller than Shadow Warrior and even moreso than Shadow Warrior 2.
First of all, Doom is nothing like Painkiller. Second of all, I said SW2, not SW1. SW1 is nothing like Painkiller, only the sequel is.
Third of all: what the fuck? I mentioned Hard Reset twice in that post.

>>381002652
>Fucking what? Hard Reset is worse in pretty much every way.
It's cheaper, but it has less FUNDAMENTAL design issues. The levels are bad and the enemy design is somewhat boring, but it does not have the absolutely glarring design flaws that SW1 had, including that fucking retarded looting and upgrade mechanics or as fucking awful bullet spongy enemies. At least getting a new weapon in HR did not make the weapon feel utterly useless.

HR is still a pretty bad game and it certainly looks a lot cheaper than Shadow Warrior, but it's flaws don't run as deep as those of SW.
>>
Doom
BFE, I suppose
None of them, but probably Doom
By having a mod kit for Doom and tweak a bit about the enemies encounters
>>
>>381003034
How is D44M nothing like Painkiller? They're both locked off arena shooters.

Shadow Warrior 2 never locks you in an arena and there's a lot of RPG shit to consider.

Please explain how Shadow Warrior 2 is the closest thing to the original Painkiller, since I'm really having trouble seeing the connection
>>
>>381001958
BFE Enhanced
classic Rocketeer
classic Kamikaze
no reloading on everything but the pistol
Serious Bomb skin for C4
enemy multiplier for shits and giggles
>>
>>381002236
>It's seriously flawed, but it's also by far the most complex, interesting, creative and intricate in the lot
Oh hey I remembered you. Are you the one that likes SW2 a lot and said that the problem of the game was because the game doesn't explain too much about the mechanics?
>>
>>381003651
>the problem of the game was because the game doesn't explain too much about the mechanics
lol
>>
File: sw 2016-10-03 14-05-26-48.jpg (455KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sw 2016-10-03 14-05-26-48.jpg
455KB, 1920x1080px
>>381003034
>awful bullet spongy enemies

They aren't bullet spongy, you just hit fuckall due to the inaccuracy of the guns.
Just look at the godawful spread of that quad-barreled shitgun - what the fuck is that one bullethole even doing there above the gun's barrels?
>>
Is the old blood any good?

I don't like the setting of TNO
>>
>>381004042
So what do you think about the game?

No joke, at least that was what that anon said. His entire argument why people didn't like SW2 was because the publisher marketed it as a Borderlands clone and the game didn't explain its mechanics that well to differentiate it from Borderlands.

I probably going to pirate it. It's a shame that it doesn't have LAN.
>>
>>381004358
It was better and a fine fanservice for RTCW.

Also the setting is the saving grace of the game. It was at least unique.
>>
BFE is hot fucking garbage. Rest are good.
>>
>>381003270
>They're both locked off arena shooters.
Not really. Doom is a maze shooter that features something that could resemble an arena just about once per level (at best). Rest is narrow corridors and tiny rooms. Yes, it does lock you into some of them (usually because the game needs you to prevent you from accidentally aggroing more enemies than the engine can handle), but the actual level structure and progression as well as encounter design, pacing, movement and movement speed and even weapon distribution and design are fundamentally different.

Doom feels NOTHING like painkiller, with it's emphasis on heft and weight, smaller numbers of tougher enemies and claustrophobic small-room battles that are only VERY RARELY escalated into that one larger final encounter: again heavily relying on smaller numbers of heavy hitting enemies and minimum cannon fodder.
Everything is more deliberate, slow, has more weight behind it, more close up, more focused on effect, MUCH less positional and more aggressive and forward-oriented.

Both designs have their merits by the way. It's not an attempt to put doom down.
But in terms of actual gunplay, movement, level design, weapon distribution, enemy design and pacing, SW2 is really a lot, a LOT closer. Hell, it even has the same exact fucking shotgun mechanics, which you either love or hate.
>>
>>380995668
DOOM
Serious Sam 3
DOOM

Doom 2016: Get rid of the upgrade tokens/system and hide abilities/perks as secrets.

Shadow Warrior 2013: Same thing. Wasting time "upgrading" your character is bullshit.

Serious Sam 3: Get rid of the shitty enemies and make more interesting/varied levels. It's the weakest game in the series.

Wolfenstein TNO: Delete it. Wolfenstein 2009 was more fun to play.
>>
>>381004151
>They aren't bullet spongy, you just hit fuckall due to the inaccuracy of the guns.
Actually, the weapons are weak AND innacurate, but also the stronger enemies suffer from MASSIVE HP BLOAT. They are damage sponges regardless of what damage-dealing technique you use.

>>381003651
Yep, that sounds like me, I guess. Though I'm pretty sure I'd list a couple more issues than just the poor communication of the game. I mean it's probably what is damaging the sales the most, but the game has a couple of other major flaws too.
>>
>>381004375
I just found it really disappointing. Even though I didn't like the first one that much and my expectations were pretty low.

My main issues with the game are:

1) It's EXTREMELY repetitive. Not just the combat encounters but the variety as well. I'm pretty sure you see like 80% of all the enemy types and locations within the first few missions and the rest of the game is just recycling those levels about a dozen times.

2) The loot system is kinda pointless and bogs the game down. Most of the shitty gems you get are shit like "+10% fire damage" or whatever. And the cherry on the shit sundae is that the rarest gems have FLAWS, meaning they may not always be the best items you can get even though they're the rarest (this may have been patched, but I haven't touched the game since launch). And even though they are 80 collectible weapons in reality there are maybe 20 and the rest are just reskins with better or worse stats.

3) Lo Wang is obnoxious. He tries way too hard to be a smartass and he repeats the stupidest shit all the time ("Boom goes the Boomstick!" and "You know what's funny? You full of holes" are probably the worst ones). Kimiko was also insufferable. In fact I can't really think of a character I didn't hate.

I think Flying Wild Hog just aimed too high and just couldn't deliver.
>>
best thing about shadow warrior remakes is Stan motherfucking Bush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSv1xykar4A
>>
Wolfenstein

I have no idea why people liked D44M. It fucking sucked.
>>
>>381005052
Shit dude, I know it was you.

Redpill me on the game. I'm on the edge about pirating it or buying it so I can play it coop with my bro. You seems know enough about it.

>>381005179
Fair enough. Seems that the repetitiveness and the plot are the main cons of the game.
>>
Turok needs the same treatment
>>
>>381004820
I still can't see how SW2 and Painkiller are similar.

In Shadow Warrior 2 you can outrun most combat encounter since you have unlimited sprint now
In Painkiller you're pretty much locked in a room for 80% of the time.

In Shadow Warrior 2 you have like 80 weapons which needed to be reloaded
In Painkiller you had like ... 5 weapons which didn't need to be reloaded.

In Shadow Warrior 2 you have loot, gems and skills
In Painkiller at best you have the Tarot Cards
>>
File: feelguyangry.jpg (60KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
feelguyangry.jpg
60KB, 700x700px
>>381005512

It did and I was the only one who liked it.
>>
>>381005765
Cause that game was trash
>>
>>381005512
>>381005765
Turok 2 just got a remaster and it was amazing. What else do you want.
>>
>>381006012
>a remaster is the same as a brand new next gen like game
>>
File: file.png (347KB, 359x511px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
347KB, 359x511px
>>381006326
You got your next gen reboot right here, lil nigga. Even earlier than those in the OP image.
>>
>>381005381
OK. So:
Shadow Warrior 2 is weird. Like, really weird. And if you don't like to spend 10+ minutes between each level tinkering with stats and sorting out ugly U.I., I can tell you right up you probably don't want to bother with it. I mean, it's entirely possible to avoid doing that, it's just that a lot of what makes the game good is gonna be lost on you, and it might end up with you being also frustrated, because unless you manage your weapon-loadout, you can easily find the enemies being frustrating bulletsponges and boring to shoot.
That is because mid-combat damage output you can dish out is entirely depending on how well did you select and upgrade your weapons. If you did not take the time to upgrade them and learn how to make the best out of them, you'll dish out little damage. Not only that will make time-to-kill unreasonably high. It will also make them not fun to shoot. Because a lot of what makes gunplay satisfying is tied to how enemies physically react to being shot. And in SW2, the reaction of an enemy to a shot is determined by ratio between damage caused by hit, and total enemy health pool.

If you are shooting enemies with underpowered weapons, barely stagger. That makes the combat unsatisfying. If you shoot them with a pimped up gun proper, you will literally blow entire chunks of them out of their bodies, or send them flying, and that is immensely satisfying. It's why many people disagree on whenever gunplay is good or bad in this game: it really as you make it for yourself.

Second: SW2 is ALL ABOUT YOUR ARSENAL. Not your weapon, but your arsenal. the whole point of the game is to find the best selection of weapons for individual specific circumstances and switch between them mid-battle consistently. Try to focus on upgrading one or two weapons and use them as universally as possible and you are not going to have a good time. If you don't switch guns four, five times during a 3 minute battle, you are doing something wrong.
Con't.
>>
>>380999638
I enjoyed it for what it was.
>>
Doom was awesome. Wolfenstein was pretty solid
>>
>>381005271
Stan is a legend.
>>
>>381006656
Pretty much. I still enjoyed SW2 but the whole gameplay felt like an unfocused mess. I didn't really run into many issues where enemies became ridiculously bulletspongey (because I'd usually augment my weapons after each mission with the strongest DPS and crit chance) but I still prefer the 2013 reboot despite its own issues.
>>
File: 1370978358952.jpg (54KB, 444x337px) Image search: [Google]
1370978358952.jpg
54KB, 444x337px
>>381006494
>>
>>381006656
This is why the whole upgrading thing is such a BIG DEAL in the game. And it's why the game showers you with new weapons and upgrades. It's to make consistently sure that you have enough tools to make an interesting weapon roster and that you can have every single weapon constantly pimped up with appropriate level upgrades.

And again: this is just unavoidable if you want to actually have fun. If this sounds annoying, well: I don't blame you. But it means it's not the best shooter for you.

As for the weapon specialization, one of the tricks is to ignore the DPS, and focus on combat utility. In general: you will want crowd-controlers, you will want room cleaners, and you will want precision high damage dealers, and you will want to switch between those on the fly constantly.
Precision shooting is one of the things that most people don't even THINK about in this game, yet it's actually the solution to the infamous bullet-sponginess. You can easily and quickly kill seemingly super-bloated enemies with your fucking starting pistol if you aim for the head and pimp up your weapon with critical damage.

There is a lot more to it, but I won't bore you with details: the really important thing you have to know that the actual combat itself is INCREDIBLY FAST AND MOBILE. It takes place in huge open arenas, with little restrictions to your movement and with you being almost able to fly. Enemies spawn in circles and in vast majority of cases prefer melee, so they will try to rush you. Staying on the move, circlestrafing, and backpeddaling are big in this game, except now you can also glide PAST your enemies.
Everything boils down to you moving super fast, constantly switching your guns to dish out the best damage combos, and in case of stronger enemies, very precise aim (on the move, you don't get much luxury of staying stationary).
Then you scour the level for loot (which is boring), pick up the objectives, go home and tinker with your weapons again.
>>
>>381007639
>strongest DPS

That was one of the most misleading things in the entire game.
That large, prominent DPS number means fuckall in this game, especially on machine guns, and the actual important stat, the plain damage per shot, is something that gets shoved together with critical chance elemental damage, etc. to the right.
Who cares if your SMG has a DPS of 539 if each shot does 5 damage and you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it?
>>
File: 1497599229954.jpg (543KB, 2554x3835px) Image search: [Google]
1497599229954.jpg
543KB, 2554x3835px
Turok by ID.

Tell me you want it.
>>
>>381007675
So to conclude: the game really falls into these three few stages. You spend 10+ minutes going through that awful upgrade menu trying to think ahead in your upgrade distribution - doing some math and wondering if you should go for more critical damage on your bow to give it more punch, or if you should go for damage resistance reduction to give more versatility, if you should prioritize status effect on your crowd-control shotgun to freeze whole groups of mobs, or if you should go for flat damage increase to blow individual ones up reliably and so on.
Then you jump into the level, which is one giant arena with virtually no restriction on your movement, with few token "objectives" (which are basically "kill this guy, or collect this item) peppered around. And you fly (quite literally) around being swarmed by enemies and thinking on your feet figuring which weapon combination is going to be most efficient until everything is dead, then you zoom around to collect more upgrade gems, you go back to hub, sort out the new gems, use them to upgrade your weapons again - rinse and repeat.

There is no narrative structure, no scripted events, no interesting setpieces (the levels repeat as fucking hell - they are good combat-accomodation wise, but they are literally the same several times around through the game), just floor to fly through, enemies to shoot, gems to collect, that is all.

The most interesting thing is how the dull upgrade choices (neither of which individually seems very interesting) all come together and suddenly make you so much more efficient at combat, while never actually feeling like compromising the actual skill-based part of the game. They just let your skill shine even more. And that is AWESOME.

But it's only if you are willing to crunch down the upgrades, and only if you don't expect good story or varied levels or dramatic setpieces.

So that is my opinion on the game, more or less. If you want to know anything more, ask.
>>
What about Lo Wang's and Hoji's relationship and bants anon?
>>
>>381009080

>There is no narrative structure

The way they turned the elaborate backstory into random drops was truly baffling and resulted in tons of "wait what?!" moments if you didn't get them.
Especially everything about Ameonna comes out of the left field when that tragic character from the first game suddenly turns into a sextape-producing lunatic.
>>
>>381005532
Sorry for late reply, got distracted.
>In Shadow Warrior 2 you can outrun most combat encounter since you have unlimited sprint now
Where do you run in the non-linear arenas? It's an arena. Just like the ones that Painkiller locks you in, except slightly bigger. In the end, it's a large space with no linear direction designed as a all-directional-battlefield.

>In Shadow Warrior 2 you have like 80 weapons which needed to be reloaded
Reloading is a difference, but the weapons are actually very similar in their behavior, synergies and general use. SW2's bows are easily the closest any modern shooter ever got to Painkillers stake gun, for an example. The shotguns feel exactly the same. Modifications by upgrades and their synergies are extremely similar to the secondary fire options and their synergies in Painkiller.

>In Shadow Warrior 2 you have loot, gems and skills
Both use loot to break down the action and reward locational awareness, it's the same mechanic.

They are mostly similar in how they feel in motion (SW is more mobile, but they share the same speed and handling of momentum), how they design encounters, how they handle mob and damage evasion, how the weapons feel and synergize (this is where they feel most alike), how they are paced, how the levels are designed layout-wise, how they handle locational damage, how they indicate damage.

They look different on a paper listing features, but they really feel most alike in actual middle of the fight of all the existing modern shooters.
>>
>>381006656
>>381007675
>>381009080
Appreciate it. From what I can get from your post, it's pretty much a pure arena shooter with heavy emphasize on stats customization like an RPG. Seems attractive enough for me.

There's couple questions I wanna ask. How necessary is the coop? How long is it? Is it repetitive in a good way (as in, very replayable) or in a bad way? While it might not exactly similar, I recently played Immortal Redneck and it was enjoyable enough, with the emphasize of mobility and stats.

From your posts alone, I solidified my plan to pirate it. If it's good enough, I might buy it.
>>
>>381009631
I... don't want to go into rambling about the story too much. Let's just say "it's not good, on ANY level" and leave it at that. No point in getting angry. Just learn the lesson of how not to handle the story, especially after the first game. I hate the first game, by the way - I hate it with a passion. But the story was respectable and as far as I'm concerned, the only aspect of it worth anything.
SW2 did not do that story justice.

>>381009912
>How necessary is the coop?
COMPLETELY unnecessary. Despite the advertising, the coop does not add or detract anything. All characters are the same, so there is no specialized role synergy or anything, there is no actual cooperation of both players required. It's just like Serious Sam's coop, really. More damage, more enemies, with more health. It's fun but by no means central to the game.

>How long is it?
I think I've completed my first run in about 21 hours with all side missions. Second run in about 18 or so. It has a decent replay value: if you find the core loop enjoyable, the odds are you are going to finish it several times. It's the advantage of how the levels are utterly unremarkable and much more like arenas than setpieces: if it does not bother you, you can play the game for very long time, and the game just offers increasily more tough encounters for you to beat.
That should reply to your other question.

I found it actually much more replayable and less repetetive than other shooters, because the customization gives you quite a lot of variety. Different builds, different skills, different weapon focus.
Where I eventually got bored of Doom or W:TNO because the combat felt like it's not particularly evolving, SW2 held my interest through multiple playthroughs because it just has more intricacy on mechanical level. But I might be weird.

>From your posts alone, I solidified my plan to pirate it.
Seems like the most reasonable plan. Hope you enjoy it.
>>
>>380995668
Probably DOOM
Serious Sam after you get past the first few levels.
None. Single player FPS games aren't going to change anything soon, even if they are fun.
SS3 was fine after the first few claustrophobic levels, so not much.
SW needs better level design and to totally abandon that fucking shoot at loot shit that 2 did.
Wolfenstein needs to focus more on the gameplay and less of that story/hub world shit like holy fuck that was annoying. The OId Blood was an absolute blast with that shit out of the way.
DOOM just needs to go faster and have more enemies in between the "arena" bits.
>>
File: Shredding.gif (3MB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Shredding.gif
3MB, 600x600px
>>380995668

>"Hory cow, rooka rike Duke Nukem!"

based Lo Wang.
>>
>>380995668
BFE
Doom
none
make them even more oldschool, but they'd lose audience and the franchises would die so idk, what i do know is that BFE had some serious problems in terms of level design and gameplay elements like reloading and running, but the horrible level design was the worst part.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.