[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pillars of Eternity IP in other genres?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 26

File: 189283965478995175642357.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
189283965478995175642357.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78V3ziK-0tE
8:35 - 9:55

> Josh Sawyer on the possibility of using the Pillars of Eternity IP for other genres like real time strategy or first person games.

So what do you guys think? Would you play a Pillars RTS or Pillars Elder scrolls game?
>>
No. I just want them to take Deadfire and put it in 3rd person. Sick and tired of outdated isometric crpg's.
>>
One of the prime problems of the game was forgettable and bland setting, at least as far initial expressions go (I didn't end up completing it). Of course, a game can be decent despite its bland setting but I sure as hell wouldn't play PoE RTS/MMO/whatever just because it's PoE.
>>
>>380986153
So a RTWP combat system in 3rd person? That makes no sense. Or do you want it to be 3rd person action game?
>>
>>380986471
Don't forget walls of text that could've easily been halfed.
>>
>>380986479
RTWP. Like DAO, or full time action like Dragons Dogma. Both were able to take party based combat and bring it to third person in a good way. Isometric is so fucking boring and unimmersive. Only games that need it should use it like RTT or RTS. It's not 2000 anymore.
>>
>>380986609
>>380986471
I personally think the lore and writing is some of the best in the industry right now, but I'm aware that's not common opinion...
>>
>>380986153
>>380986720
Yes I agree or at the very least make it top down 3D like Divinity OS, there's literally no excuse for isometric view from a mid tier studio like Obsidian.
>>
>>380985962

A 3rd person RPG type game would be pretty nice. However, I'm not sure if pillars is popular enough to get enough recognition to thrive in the open world RPG market by itself.
>>
>>380986720
DAO totally butchered the CRPG formula. This trend did undoubtedly continue in the sequels. Neither the action based combat (which barley was action based in the first place) or the pause combat was any good. Isometric is best from a aesthetic and tactical view. Pillars looks miles better then Divinity.
>>
>>380986979
If Divinity can somehow do it... no one knows what the hell that game is. This has Obsidian's name behind it, at least.
>>
>>380985962
Nothing is special or compelling about the IP at all, using it in other genres is completely pointless. The entire appeal is in it being an isometric throwback game. This just proves once again Sawyer is fucking retarded and shouldn't be in charge.
>>
>>380987061
What are you talking about, DAO was 3D BG2 with MMO style instead of D&D style combat.
>>
>>380987306
>MMO...
>Not butchered...
>>
>>380987212
think this only proves you sound like an idiot, dude
>>
Eh, I would play it. But I don't think the PoE universe is really interesting enough to warrant it. I'd rather they just make a new IP
>>
>>380987463
he's not wrong
>>
>>380987368
It was fine. The average person, which DAO was made for, wouldnt be able to understand 2E D&D gameplay. But Bioware did a decent job at making a combat system that wasn't too hard or too easy.
>>
>>380986757
>I personally think the lore and writing is some of the best in the industry right now

The problem is that they tell you about all this cool shit, and then make you play in the blandest possible time and location.

Imagine if the game had been set during
>the war of defiance
>war of black trees
>broken stone war
>saints war
Or in Old Valia or the Living Lands.

The game is pretty much "All the neat stuff already happened. Enjoy." For fucks sake we didn't even get to see Halgot Citadel.

The reason I'm looking forward to the second one is mainly because the Deadfire Archipelago seems like it's actually an interesting place.
>>
>>380986757
THIS GUY GETS IT.
>>
>>380987639
I don't think it makes sense to just scrap an entire universe because it doesn't have a gimmick that excites you, even personally. I think the soul magic stuff is cool, but it's more about what can be done in the universe than some gimmicky conceit that shows up in every element of the universe.
>>
>>380987741
The other problem is the endless text dumps, the game was inspired by baldurs gate which was pretty minimal with the dialog and reading then they go full autism in PoE where every character has a fucking novel to read
>>
>>380987741
taking on the foundry in White March was pretty epic in a classic sense. But you are right, it was set in a pretty depressed period, where no one was having kids and were terrified, nothing was glorious.
>>
>>380987061
>DAO totally butchered the CRPG formula
I mean I'd agree it wasn't as complex as BG or IWD but it was fine. I'm just saying that you can do everything an Isometric does in third person. The game is much better looking and immersive that way.
>>
>>380987964
>reading in a cRPG
this isn't really a valid complaint, you just don't like it.
>>
>create a ranger
>first companion you get is a mage
>I just get bumrushed because my bear dies instantly
I'm going to have to set the difficulty to normal or easy. This is fucking absurd.

Not even the chanting guy has good CQ tanking.
>>
>>380988110
I'm not saying I hate reading in an RPG, i'm just saying PoE had too much of it. PoE has a bit of the Morrowind effect where NPCs feel like wikipedia pages instead of people having a conversation with you.
>>
>>380987964
Pillars was trying to be every infinity engine game at once. This is the source of a lot of its problems. It sort of dabbles in everything each of the games is famous for, but doesn't excel where any of them did.
>>
>>380988204
You can do this game with no party members, there must be a way. You can hire a shit-tier tank in the inns. But I always roll as something beefy when I first learn a game like this.

Monk was super fun.
>>
I'd play the fuck out of a tactical turn based Pillars of Eternity

Elder Scrolls of Eternity, on the other hand, sounds lame.
>>
>>380988287
Perhaps. Obsidian really seemed to be listening to feedback, so I believe text-dumps may be a thing that gets tweaked in the sequel.
>>
>>380988429
Imo the text dumps should still be there but in the form of books and notes like Baldur's Gate. Maybe they were trying to do that originally but got carried away.
>>
>>380988343

If there's one thing that PoE did right, it was the monk class.

Zipping across the battlefield, punching people into walls, kicking them into the ceiling, and unleashing aoe wave attacks made of literal pain at enemies. Playing an offtank monk was waaay more fun than playing a tanky paladin.

>>380988391

Yeah, at that point Obsidian might as well make a New Vegas equivalent for FO4.

Though I wouldn't mind if another highly-moddable open world RPG game came along and dethroned or gave TES a lot of competition.
>>
>>380988287
Weren't a lot of characters written buy Kickstarter backers as well? I recall encountering a lot of ridiculous NPCs that took away my will to explore the fluff.
>>
When is it coming out, anyway?
>>
>>380988060
>it was set in a pretty depressed period, where no one was having kids and were terrified, nothing was glorious

If they wanted to go that route, they could have set the game during the Saints War, when a literal god was fucking up the country and everyone thought they were gonna die.

'Interesting' doesn't necessarily have to mean 'upbeat and happy'. I thought the War of Defiance would have been neat to experience, because of the unlikely alliance between the Dyrwoodans and Glanfathan tribes to overthrow Aedyran rule. In PoE the interactions between these two groups is a central aspect of a TON of backstory, but when you play they hardly ever meet.
>>
>>380988662
>Though I wouldn't mind if another highly-moddable open world RPG game came along and dethroned or gave TES a lot of competition.

My opinion exactly, and I am burned out on the fallout/elder scrolls universes. So a open world RPG in the pillars universe would probably be good for the genre, which we all know hasn't been itself lately. The genre actually has a lot of potential...
>>
>>380987964
>was pretty minimal with the dialog and reading
Baldur's Gate 2 had a fuck ton of dialogue. It was just spaced out.
IIRC, Baldur's Gate 2 has more dialogue than the scripts of the entire harry potter series combined.
>>
>>380989009
A lot are, but there is an option that makes them stand out so you never have to interact with them. They are awful, and I think Obsidian kind of realizes this.

I want to do a playthrough where I kill every single one.
>>
>>380989119
I agree. I think the setting was interesting for how bleak it was and what was making everything so bleak, but it could have been different.
>>
>>380989176
I didn't mean that it didn't have a lot, i just meant that most conversations in the game were not long
>>
The moment it goes full 3d and gains popularity it's going to be streamlined as much as Skyrim did.

>Pillars 3: Readceres first 3d game. RPG mechanics stay relatively the same.
>Pillars 4: Pearl Coast. Is streamlined to something similar to Oblivion.
>Pillars 5: The White that that Wends. Skyrim level streamlining.

It's going to happen.
>>
I wouldn't mind either. But as side games. That way you keep everyone happy. This is what Dragon Quest does, it keeps it's mainline series as is but all the spinoffs try multiple different genres.
>>
>>380989609

If the writing and RPG elements remain at least at a New Vegas level, then I'd be okay with some compromising.

I'd still be disappointed at simplification for the sake of not scaring away the mainstream crowd, though.
>>
>>380990047
I'd be fine with that too. Heck if at the very least they leave the writing and choice in. I can live with Skyrim level streamlining.
>>
>>380985962
>shameless milking is now okay because we own the IP
woah, Obsidian truly are terrible now
thank god Avellone left that sinking ship
>>
I dislike the setting, so no
>>
File: 1411663136506.gif (432KB, 279x147px) Image search: [Google]
1411663136506.gif
432KB, 279x147px
>>380989609
I don't really see them dumbing down their games , the fact that they're still doing isometric view shows me they're committed to what they're trying to make. Not that I wouldn't prefer 3D but they could easily have done 3D to make something more accessible. Also remember Sawyer is the director, he's extremely passionate about making a good RPG whether you agree with him or not, he's not like the Toddler who it's well known just wants to hit things with a warhammer in his games.
>>
I don't mind reading but so much of the lore has no tie in with the current story. Maybe some people don't mind the word dump, but it would have been a better experience for everyone if the stories are somehow related to what you were trying to do. The Engwithans are dated so far back that there is almost no point in mentioning them. I get that they are the first to practice soul magic, but they brought nothing else to the table that the story could be rewritten to not include them. The Glanfathans conflict with the Drywoodans was a major part of the backstory, but aside from the beginning it didn't play any role on the story was shaped.

I also feel that having so many wars occuring within such a short time span cheapens the emotional impact on what a war can bring. These are my main gripe with the story.
>>
>>380990578
nice shilling
>>
>>380990771
ok kid
>>
>>380990707
Your point about the Engwithians is true, and it seems like the sequel is going to place them in more upfront role.
>>
>>380990837
>no argument
as expected
>>
File: Swen-Vincke.jpg (57KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
Swen-Vincke.jpg
57KB, 1000x662px
>>380987131
I think you're overselling Obsidian's name outside of CRPG circles. Larian was pretty much the same except they somehow put themselves on the map with Divinity 2 and D:OS exploded because of Kickstarter. I imagine they're also better off financially because they're entirely self-publishing.
>>
Yeah and the moment they go 3d the normies flow in and fuck up the following sequel. It happens to every fucking series.
>>
>>380991040
I don't think I am. They made a Fallout game. They know the name, but maybe they don't know the legacy.
>>
>>380991040
Larian has also been committed to Divinity from get-go because Original Sin is basically what they've been trying to make from the very first game before publisher meddled.
>>
Why do people that started gaming recently are so in love with PoE anyway? Is it because they never actually played other cRPG with actual interesting settings? These are the same people that praise Tyranny too.
>>
File: 643194dialog4.jpg (224KB, 1266x469px) Image search: [Google]
643194dialog4.jpg
224KB, 1266x469px
>>380987964
>The other problem is the endless text dumps

This is true and later explained when one of the writers divulged they literally ran with the FIST draft of the script because they had no time to revise it. It's also very easy to imagine Obsidian fell into the trap of feeling like they have to explain all this new lore to the player as soon as possible because, hey, they wrote it all.
>>
File: what did he mean by this.jpg (46KB, 574x261px) Image search: [Google]
what did he mean by this.jpg
46KB, 574x261px
>>380991040
>they somehow put themselves on the map with Divinity 2
They've been on the verge of dying ever since they barely managed to push out Divinity 2 though. It's a miracle they've survived till Div:OS practically saved them.
>>
>>380989176
It's the fucking description and lore dump
I don't care if the random peasant that wants me to get his medicine scratch his balls while talking to me and i don't need him to tell me about the history of the town in details
>>
File: worry face.jpg (21KB, 389x440px) Image search: [Google]
worry face.jpg
21KB, 389x440px
>>380987964
>mfw backer NPCs

I wouldn't even care if they weren't obviously used as replacements for regular NPCs. Take them out and you have a lot of empty locations.
>>
>>380986609
halved*
>>
>>380991768
they kept funding themselves with educational software, right?
>>
>>380991764
>even on their own terms they ran out of time
>>
http://archive.is/UuGYO
>>
File: C6WQrJzUoAAObH-.jpg:large.jpg (374KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
C6WQrJzUoAAObH-.jpg:large.jpg
374KB, 2048x1152px
PoE 2 looks so fucking good. I'm more hyped for it than any other game.
>>
It's crazy how good this looks. Meanwhile, Tyranny is a complete disaster. They just released a DLC to add Overworld Encounters and announced a DLC that is set before the cliffhanger ending that introduces actual companion quests. Paradox was a mistake.
>>
>>380985962
I can't remember a single thing about PoE except how fucking awful the combat was, the fact that Sawyer thinks so highly of it makes me realize why the game only got worse with each update, he clearly believes all he touches turns gold
>>
I want them to ditch the shitty overhead/isometric camera. Outdated as fuck. RPGs should be immersive. I'm not playing a fucking strategy game. RPG's used to always have isometric cameras because it was fucking 2000, less money, less technology, etc...
>>
>>380992530
Paradox also funded Tyranny so yeah, it was hardly Obsidian's main focus. You can tell Paradox calls the shots with the type of DLC it's getting.
>>
File: 507px-Cicero1.png (429KB, 507x600px) Image search: [Google]
507px-Cicero1.png
429KB, 507x600px
>>380992610
It really never is Obsidian's fault is it?
>>
Reminder he did nothing wrong
Reminder that it's been confirmed that your choice on what you did to him will matter in Deadfire
I hope you chose the right action
>>
File: 1497623873509.jpg (89KB, 573x719px) Image search: [Google]
1497623873509.jpg
89KB, 573x719px
>>380987061
I see.

So you think KOTOR 1 and 2 are bad also.
>>
>just reached act 2 of PoE
Forgot of boring it was, wish i could just rush the main quest and be done with it but I'm too autistic for that
>>
>>380992772
He's not wrong, you know.
>>
Anyone else not like White March too much? I thought the inside of that fortress was annoying as fuck. Way too many encounters for every fucking thing.
>>
>>380992775
>your choice will matter
People still fall for that?
>>
>>380992939
>people tell me they fixed the encounter
>pack of ogres and not sahaguin everywhere
>>
>>380992775
You can even agree with him and he goes all "...yeah". Kinda weird how there wasn't an ending where you side with him.
>>
>>380992939
That expansion just had a bunch of annoying encounters, but I had fun. Didn't kill that dragon.
>>
>>380992772
Paradox wrote the game too apparently, literally never their fault.
>>
>>380985962
>Pillars Elder scrolls game
could be pretty cool if it's big enough and they give it enough attention to detail
which means it'll never happen
>>
>>380988287

This guy nailed it.

There is a difference between learning lore and the world through conversation, and every single person being Wikipedia.

Take Witcher 3 for example, I learn as I go. I never played the previous Witcher games, but I picked up on the world history through interesting conversations with all the characters. With an added character codex and bestiary, I could look up information I wanted on my own.

PoE also suffered from entirely too much purple prose. It doesn't make it more intriguing, or make you a smarter person because you can read through 900 pages of useless information. It's just a chore. I can clearly see the environment, I don't need to know how hot the fire feels and how loud it crackled.

I think Tyranny handled things a lot better, and I hope PoE2 takes a page from it.
>>
>>380993378
you never know. Josh has said that there are plenty of people at Obsidian that would love to make a Skyrim-type Pillars game.
>>
>>380991040
I'm still amazed they struck gold with DOS.

>isometric
>turn-based combat
>>
>>380993378
>>380993541
Sounds like a huge waste of resources to me. If they make it, then I hope they don't fall for the fully open world meme like an Elder Scrolls game and still implement something like an overworld map with only a few fully designed areas.
>>
>>380993516
they are taking the tooltip text when you hover over various words in a conversation, that is a start since it will avoid lore dumps.
>>
File: TL;DR.png (104KB, 518x1306px) Image search: [Google]
TL;DR.png
104KB, 518x1306px
>>380986609
>>380987964
>>380988287
>>380993516
Sawyer agrees.

Ironically enough, TL;DR.
>>
>>380992772
>>380993287
Tyranny is a mess with a lot of flaws that I'm sure Obsidian is entirely to blame (The terrible skill system, for example), but Paradox's jewiness only adds even more problems to it.
>>
>>380993863
are they going to remove all those pointless trash battles every 5 steps?
>>
>>380993131
The Watcher knew too much and wasn't worth the risk. Even his most trusted followers from the Lead Key only knew a tenth of the story.
>>
>>380994250
They said they would
>>
File: Claim.png (36KB, 514x574px) Image search: [Google]
Claim.png
36KB, 514x574px
>>380994250
That's the claim!
>>
>>380985962
>isometric
>shit character models

how delusional do you have to be to think it would work?
>>
>>380992775
>Reminder he did nothing wrong

>outright tells you that he's killed shit tons of people throughout history because 'muh secrets'
>nothing wrong

Not sure how people fall for this meme.
>>
>>380992948
Choices in the first game mattered. Why wouldn't they matter in the sequel? I don't want a huge branching story that completely changes based on my choices, but asking for an extra NPC if you brought the baby with you or a cool extra side-quest if you kept Thaos alive wouldn't be asking too much.
>>
>>380994430
but still no exp from battle, right?
>>
File: pillars_deadifre_slum_fight.png (4MB, 2398x1348px) Image search: [Google]
pillars_deadifre_slum_fight.png
4MB, 2398x1348px
>>380994437
>shit character models
Where? You mean in Deadfire? They look fine to me.
>>
File: czgcyozlix4nnruudrya.jpg (83KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
czgcyozlix4nnruudrya.jpg
83KB, 800x450px
>>380987964
PoE is alright, Numenera is the one that somehow got everything wrong to some degree and I still don't know how it accomplished that.

>can avoid almost ALL combat in the game
>all that remains is somehow not at all engaging
>>
>>380994626
That's actually a pretty damn good question. I don't think he answered one way or another. Can't find anything on his tumblr, anyways.
>>
>>380994451
Untold thousands were sacrificed to make the gods. An entire civilization fell for their sake. Keeping their secret is the least you could do.
>>
>>380995062
I'd like some more backstory on that in Deadfire. Who decided to commit mass suicide to create gods? That doesn't sound like a decision that the average citizen would be in agreement with.
>>
>>380995062
>>You owe us :^)

Pretty shit justification for murder.
>>
>>380992939
I liked it, but then again, I also liked the main game. There were a lot of encounters in it just like the main game (although a lot of them could be avoided in the second expansion, if you went the lying way).
>>
so basically poe2 is everything I wanted poe to be
>tfw Iacked the wrong game
>>
>>380995160
If you had the choice to actually have benevolent gods rule over our messy world, you wouldn't be for it?
>>
>>380995149
>Who decided to commit mass suicide to create gods?

The Engwithans (at least, the ones in Sun In Shadow). That was the memory Thaos guarded. He turned on the machine, it friend a bunch of people, and made the gods.
>>
>>380995319
>Not backing both
A hundred bucks on each. No regrets.
>>
>>380995319
Don't fall for the hype again, it's pretty easy to make promises
>>
>>380995368
No, I know. But I mean, who actually made that decision? Were all the people that were huddled in that room aware of their fate and willing? Doesn't sound likely to me. And were all gods created from that room or was that just the process of one of them?
>>
>>380985962
>first person games.

Jesus... watching his wife being fucked really contaminated his mind
>>
>>380995449
don't listen to this guy, fall for the hype, or I will buy two copies.
>>
>>380992863
Worst part of the game. Defiance Bay gets old fast. Twin Elms, on the other hand...
>>
>>380995363

>benevolent gods
>do shit they don't like
>they kill you

Real benevolent. Not to mention that the gods killed all the Engwithans to keep their secret.
>>
>>380994775
that looks horrible nigger

infiniengine games had better models
>>
>>380995573
Sawyer doesn't have a wife and he's probably gay
>>
>>380993516

That's not what purple prose is, nor is it the problem.

The problem is that the writing is unfocused. There is tons of detail in, say, Grieving Mother's quest tree - but can you ask about the Fisher Crane tribe when talking to Hiravias? Can you ask more deeply about his commitment to Wael?

They chose the wrong things to focus on, in most cases.
>>
>>380995667
>do shit they don't like
>they kill you
Where in the game did this happen?
>>
>>380995707
disregard this post
>>
>>380995546
>Were all the people that were huddled in that room aware of their fate and willing?

In Thaos' memory, there is some woman who nods at him right before he turns on the machine.

I'm guessing that SOME people had to be aware. Otherwise they would have had to use force to round up everyone.
>>
>>380995363
>constant in-fighting between the gods over who should be more powerful
>sending their avatars to start a war and fuck up a whole region of the world just due to their bickering
>benevolent

kek
>>
>>380995707
Nostalgia clouding your mind
>>
File: 12313 (2).jpg (858KB, 1498x1440px) Image search: [Google]
12313 (2).jpg
858KB, 1498x1440px
>>380987061

Dragon Age Origins had a very unique and fulfilling combat system if you played it on the hardest difficulty.

Controlling your followers and setting up their behavior, in addition to freely switching between your protagonist and followers was extremely unique and I have not seen that in a game since.

For example, the basics was setting up the follower UI to make your follower drink a potion at 30% hp. That's just cool.
>>
>>380992610
Tyranny had a good concept, but the execution left much to be desired. Also, there aren't many party members who are noteworthy outside of Barik, Lantry, Sirin, and Verse (by proxy of being related to Barik).

It was also rather surprising when the Tyranny devs admitted that they never even heard of the Avadon series during a livestream. It was a pretty good RPG series that captured the essence of doing horrible things for the sake of peace and order, albeit in a lower fantasy and lower power setting.
>>
>>380995659
By the time I reached Twin Elms I was getting tired of the game and couldn't enjoy it properly, too bad cuz i usually like those kind of town
>>
>>380995851

Seriously? The Saints War. Everyone who opposed Waidwen got set on fire (or just killed by his soldiers).

I mean I guess technically it's not in the game.
>>
>>380995880
At least, everyone shares the same religion.
>>
>>380994775
If you imagine the water as a void full of stars it becomes way cooler
>>
A sham that they had to go full fedora and make the gods fake just not to piss off the kickstarter atheist crowd
>>
>>380995868
Maybe some, but I honestly have a really hard time believing that a whole civilization would kill themselves for it. That just sounds really silly to me. Unless maybe you argue that they directly became the conscience of gods. I guess that could be a bit more enticing.
>>
>>380995976
>Also, there aren't many party members who are noteworthy outside of Barik, Lantry, Sirin, and Verse

Nigga there is only 6 party members I'd say that if 4 of them are noteworthy that's pretty good. Now the fact that there's only 6 fucking party members is another thing.
>>
>>380996182
>I honestly have a really hard time believing that a whole civilization would kill themselves for it

Well they didn't all kill themselves, their civilization survived until Ondra decided to drop a moon on them.
>>
>can be a priest but only for the shit tier gods
Why
>>
>>380996029
>Falling for Woedica propaganda
>>
>>380996018
I took a big break between Act 2 and 3. Glad I did, made me enjoy Twin Elms much more.
>>
>>380995851

Mate, how many people do you think the Leaden Key killed at the behest of Woedica?
>>
>>380996163
They're real. They're just arguably not gods.
>>
>>380996319
I think that there's some information in the game confirming that Thaos is the last Engwithan left alive. I believe that the moon thing is Ondra wanting to destroy all the traces of their creation because new civilizations were starting to find them.
>>
>>380996163
But the gods being man made is the only thing remotely interesting about the setting. Its otherwise just a budget tier dnd knockoff like pathfinder's official setting.
>>
>>380996320
Berath, Eothas and Wael are cool, but having the choice to be an Abydon priest would have been nice.
>>
>>380992585
It's much easier and cheaper to make a beautiful game with an isometric perspective. Having to add a complete 3D environment to every game is a meme.
>>
>>380996672
>I think that there's some information in the game confirming that Thaos is the last Engwithan left alive

Well yeah, but that doesn't mean there weren't Engwithans alive when Ondra did her thing. It just means he survived it. Not saying you're wrong, but that doesn't really confirm it either way.

And if Ondra wanted to destroy all traces of the gods origin, she did a pretty bad job by leaving all the soul transfer machines intact.
>>
>>380985962
I wouldn't even play a Pillars RPG after the snoozefest that was the last one, setting was neither interesting nor entertaining.
>>
>>380991636
I played tons of cRPGs and still enjoyed Pillars. Its setting definitely feels fresher than yet another game in Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>380997172
I interpreted it as her first action being the moon throwing and then after Abydon's death, she panicked and tried to keep a low profile. If she had her way, she'd have blown the entire world to smithereens.
>>
>>380990707
The Engwithans are pretty important since they play heavily into the end.
>>
You know what I want to know? Why do all these RPGs choose the most plainest fucking locations for the games? Skyrim and Oblivion picked winter wonderland and LOTR green fields. Baldur's Gate is just a generic fantasy location, Pillars again just a generic location. Then in the lore you hear about all these cool fucking places that a game should take place in.
>>
>>380989093
Deadfire is supposedly coming out in Q1 2018, so expect it by 2019.
>>
>>380997334
>If she had her way, she'd have blown the entire world to smithereens.

She outright says the moon she dropped was big enough to kill the Engwithans, but not kill everyone everywhere. Even the other gods agreed with it. Abydon was the only holdout.

Now that I think about it, Sun In Shadow might have been the city that he saved from the meteor.
>>
>>380997515
It's safe
>>
>>380997515
They chose the most generic setting possible to try to appease to the nostalgia of Baldur's Gate. The most interesting aspects about Dryford (like the fact it's essentially Post-Colonization America) were downplayed.

They're going way more crazy now in 2 with a nautical adventure on an archipelago with lizard people being colonized by black Italians and shark people.
>>
>>380997691
But his skeleton is in White March in that Ondra temple.
>>
>>380997515
Because that generic rpg setting is unfortunately the most popular and sells the best. Pillars in particular chose this setting actually trying to appeal to nostalgia too, rather than only playing it safe.
>>
>>380997951

I figured it was moved. Who the fuck was he trying to save, in that case?
>>
>>380990578
They are doing some dumbing down of the first Pillars.

>5 party members instead of 6
>Simpler armor system
>No more endurance/health
>No more vancian casting
>>
File: 3301380-184837.jpg (78KB, 641x868px) Image search: [Google]
3301380-184837.jpg
78KB, 641x868px
>>380988662
This guy gets it. Monks were ridiculously fun. Hope they get even crazier in 2.
>>
File: mindblown.png (7KB, 50x63px) Image search: [Google]
mindblown.png
7KB, 50x63px
>>380998291

>mfw they added a "you're already dead" move for monks in White March
>>
>>380987741
>For fucks sake we didn't even get to see Halgot Citadel
This is the craziest part to me. I thought it would have been the most obvious thing ever to actually show us the place that was magically nuked.
>>
>>380987212
It's their IP and they can get as crazy with it as they want. No licensing fees, either. And I think it has potential.
>>
>>380986757
I'm with you, my man.
>>
>>380998174
>No more endurance/health
>No more vancian casting

Honestly, the way endurance/health worked it was just an unnecessary system that meant your wizard was even shittier at taking hits than it looked on paper.

And with how much they had nerfed vancian casting in the first place I won't be cry over its removal.
>>
>>380986153
No thanks.

We have enough third person games as it is.

There's always space for a few niche games here and there.
>>
>>380998084
She moved a whole skeleton? I interpreted it that she was protecting Engwithan ruins in White March because those were the first to be found by a new civilization.
>>
File: 1485642763356.jpg (57KB, 621x646px) Image search: [Google]
1485642763356.jpg
57KB, 621x646px
>>380998945
>She moved a whole skeleton?
>>
>>380998291
>>380998375
>TFW making two elemental clones of yourself and improving already absurd damage output to 300%
>>
>WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PEOPLE THAT LIKE BOOB ARMOR ARE WORSE THAN MUSLIM BEHEADING PEOPLE AND KILLING KIDS!!
>>
How much mechanics should i have?
>>
>>380999136
Boob armor looks really stupid. And people that wanted boob armor were the ones crying like babies that they went for something more realistic.
>>
>>380999206
You should have one character in your party that has as much mechanics as possible, without any points in anything else. Gotta find those treasures and disarm them traps.
Having multiple characters with high mechanics is useless. Just concentrate on one.
>>
>>380994817
I thought Numenera was pretty highly acclaimed. Or is it shit?
>>
>>380999136

I think you might have intended to reply to another thread. The first mention of boob armor is your post.
>>
>>380999262
>CULTURAL APPROPRIATION IS FINE AS LONG AS WE DO IT!
>>
>>380999368
Is there some equipment that increase mechanics?
>>
>>380991040
Larian only got their sales because they've shat out a multiplatform turd that can be played in coop. The fact that Pillars got almost the same sales number as Larian on PC while being a strictly single player game shows that Divinity is fucking dogshit, sorry.
>>
>>380999616
There's some gloves that add a +2 but they're random loot and I don't think you can buy them off any NPCs unless things have changed. Don't count on getting them.
>>
>>380999493
Are you gonna talk like an actual human being or just continue to make these meaningless green texts?
>>
>>380999861
they also pandered hard to the "pc master race" crowd during the kickstarter
>>
>>380998174
Fuck vancian casting, it's annoying as fuck and encourages rest spam. Might be ok for tabletop but it's shit for video games.
>>
>>380996163
what?
but the game is very clearly anti-nihilism
Thaos is literally a "here's why nihilism is fucking stupid" dispenser.
>>
>>380995904
not really
>>
Why are so many people happy vatican casting is gone? Removing it will just encourage spell spam over rest spam.
>>
File: 691854-pst_002.jpg (87KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
691854-pst_002.jpg
87KB, 640x480px
>>380995904
>>381000756
>>380995856
forgot pic

obsidian's engine is an affront to what infinity did in the past millenium
>>
>>380999943
I think you can get those from the stronghold merchant. Hiro or something.
>>
>>381000727
why is it stupid
>>
>>381000794
Because they're scrubs
>>
File: PoE.jpg (587KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PoE.jpg
587KB, 1920x1080px
>>381000858
You are retarded and your taste is shit. PoE1 looked miles better than PST and PoE2 will look even better.

>b-but m-muh 2D character sprites!
Yeah, 2D sprites that do not change regardless of what type of armor or clothing you use.
>>
>>381000858
poe looks much better than that
>>
File: nostalgia.jpg (40KB, 500x369px) Image search: [Google]
nostalgia.jpg
40KB, 500x369px
>>381000858
>>
>>381001013
Thaos's reason was that it led to an increasingly degenerate and selfish society that would eventually auto destruct. That's why he fought to keep the origins of the Gods hidden away. The Engwithans sacrificed themselves to give mankind's illusion of a "God" a real sense and prevent the impact of them finding out it was all a lie.
>>
>>381000858
That looks ugly as sin

See: >>380995904
>>
>>381001173
damn those models really stand out and ruin the entire image
>>
>>381001173
i was talking about shit character models

and overall poor art direction
>>
>>381001253
that shit is retarded
>>
>>380986471
>didn't reach act 3
>thinks he knows anything about the setting
>>
>>381002037
>and overall poor art direction
Again, your opinion is trash and you have shit taste.
>>
the stronghold sucked
the "not endless" dungeon sucked
>>
>>380993863
honestly i feel like the thing i wanted most during character creation was a map that showed WHERE each character origin located in the world. it was difficult for me to visualise where stuff was based purely on text stating east, west, north and south.
>>
>>381002571
It was pretty good by 3.0
Aside from the terrible loading times, that is
>>
>>381002524
really? because the poe2 screenshots objectively show they have no idea about how contrast works and every character silhouette is exactly the same + one barrel chested dwarf / shorter human.
>>
>>381002779
how many patches was that? I remember dropping before the third or forth 1 giga patch
>>
File: PoE.png (758KB, 940x594px) Image search: [Google]
PoE.png
758KB, 940x594px
>>381002786
>because the poe2 screenshots objectively show
Your retarded, shit opinion != objective evaluation. I know it hurts being irrelevant, but you will just have to bear with the fact that PoE was OBJECTIVELY amazing.
>>
>>380988064
>The game is much better looking and immersive that way
it's an rpg. if people can achieve immersive storytelling in a tabletop i don't think a camera angle/control change is going to change much.

there are so many fucking third person rpgs out there. so many. pillars, from it's point of conception, was to be an infinity engine successor in the style of those games. not to be a third person action rpg.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
114KB, 1280x720px
>>381002954
i don't think you know what objectively means. you posted opinions. now, contrast is already clearly defined as are character silhouettes. poe just populates the screen with endless succession of same humanoid bodytype, poorly differentiated from the background due to lack of aforementioned contrast and each in various stages of undressing in order to look different - one lacks a shield, one a helmet, third one doesn't have armor but does have a two hander, fourth no shield but a spear etc etc. just lazy tripe. not to mention absolute horseshit of an engine.

age of decadence was made with paste and paper and looks better because it understands contrast and shading.
>>
>>381003374
Yeah but Steam and game journalist reviews though
>>
>>381003374
>i don't think you know what objectively means.
It certainly doesn't mean your shit opinion. The rest of your post is just verbal diarrhea not worth reading.

>Age of Decadence looks better
Yea, you're literally insane.
>>
>>381002954
well Skyrim is still more objectively amazing than PoE
>>
>>381003486
>Steam and "journalists"
You mean everyone and their dog.
>>
>>381003545
Skyrim is not an "isometric" RPG.
>>
>>381003493
poe and poe 2 look like dogshit and without avellone, obsidian neckbeard worldbuilding shines through.

>monument to a fish living so deep none of these savages would ever see it
>monument that looks exactly like the photograph of said fish, no crudeness at all
>>
>>381003971
forgot pic

again, look at those shit copypasted character models and poor shading.
>>
File: kevinspencer.png (55KB, 261x252px) Image search: [Google]
kevinspencer.png
55KB, 261x252px
>>380986471
>all this cool shit happening in the setting
>MEANWHILE IN THE GAME
>stupid podunk backwaters medeavil bullshit like every other game
>>
I don't see any reason why they shouldn't try. Plenty of developers branch out their IPs into alternate genres these days. Just look at Compile Heart, the Neps have been in jRPGs, sRPGs, Musous, shit they should totally make a tactical XNEP game where you are the Commander (Histy) and having to stop Arfoire's invasion of ayyylien eggplants.
>>
>>381002139
it isn't though
it's happening in the real world
>>
>>381002954
>developers themselves regularly shit on the games
>n-no it was amazing guys
>>
>>381003971
>poe and poe 2 look like dogshit
Yes, yes, we have already established you value your opinion highly, but here's a hint: it's fucking dogshit and nobody cares about it.

>so deep none of these savages would ever see it
They don't need to dive that deep to see the angler fish look alike, you fucking mongoloid, because said fish can be washed ashore IRL.

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/fish-with-strange-habits-washes-up/2471459/
>>
>>381004530
>voicing a fair amount of self-criticism, because there's no such thing as a perfect game
>shitting on their game
The only place someone needs to shit on is your retarded head.
>>
File: 1487960173968.png (766KB, 942x590px) Image search: [Google]
1487960173968.png
766KB, 942x590px
>>381005061
Forgot your pic
>>
>>381005418
Thanks, I'm too lazy to make a thousand copies of it, so just keep posting it in my stead. It seems to trigger mongoloids, who somehow think spouting their retarded, subjective opinions is a valid form of criticism, rather nicely.
>>
>>381005648
calm down Josh
>>
>>381005975
But Josh admitted PoE is garbage
>>
>>380986720
dragon's dogma really is one of a kind isn't it. If it only had good quests and characters...
>>
>>380986757
>I personally think the lore and writing is some of the best in the industry right now, but I'm aware that's not common opinion...

What makes it better than basically anything else? Eora is as generic a fantasy setting as they come. You can tell good stories in generic settings, but that won't elevate the setting itself above mediocrity.

Not that Pillars had a good story, mind.
>>
>>381006171
You mean Josh is a sane man without a Napoleon complex, who has admitted the game was not perfect. I guess when you're a mongoloid valuing your shit opinion so highly, that you consider it being a fact, the concept of someone criticizing their own work seems alien.
>>
>>381006621
>You mean Josh is a sane man without a Napoleon complex, who has admitted the game was not perfect
That's what i said
>>
>>380995880
That is the reason Woedica is important. A god to rule over the others, keep them in check.
>>
>>381006591
>>381002954
>>
>>381006171
Admitting flaws doesn't mean you think your game is garbage.
>>
>>380986153
first post worst post

Deadfire looks absolutely amazing because of its unique blend of modern technologies and beautiful 2D backgrounds. 3D shitters can fuck right off.
>>
>>381008672
This
Isometric is the future
>>
>>381010281
Isometric is the past
>>
What the fuck do I do while waiting for this? Should I start edgy evil run in the first game?
>>
>>381006735

I'm of the opinion that they created Woedica first, thinking a monotheistic god of justice would be the best solution to all the tribal polytheistic squabbling.

Turned out pure, dogmatic justice was a harsh system to actually live under so they created to other gods to turn her into the Queen-that-Was and keep each other in check.
>>
>>380985962
There is no such thing as PoE IP. It's just another random high Fantasy world that makes no sense when you look closely into it.

What makes this IP an IP? Adra? Godlike Races? Please, that shit is in ever RPG.
>>
>>381013134
damn I guess D&D isn't an IP either because it's all pulled from mythology and LOTR
>>
>>381013134
>It isn't an IP if I say so
>>
>>381013134
The world of Eora™ is just begging to be explored
>>
The Engwithans created Woedica to rule over their myriad gods in order to have a mechanism for Thaos to maintain control over them. He kept feeding souls into Woedica to put a leash on the gods. Eothas, being a god of rebirth and sheeeit apparently decided to rebel by investing a tremendous amount of his spiritual anima into a human vessel, most likely to challenge Thaos the Over-God who kept the Engwithan culture in an endless stasis, but he got God-Hammered by the bitch ass whore Magran. Eder who loved Eothas restarted his church and now Eothas is back and a cooler dude than ever.
>>
>>381012013

>tfw beat the game with a silly monk and meme choices
>tfw want to do a serious playthrough to import to Deadfire
>tfw cant stomach the thought of wading through act 2 again
>tfw stuck importing a shitty character/ choices to Deadfire

Fuck lads, I'm probably just going to start from scratch in Deadfire despite possibly missing out on cool things like babby orlan from an import
>>
>>381016349
They said that you can create your character from the get go and make new choices. Although I imagine it's just the major ones and not every single little one.
Thread posts: 240
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.