[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AAA games were a fucking mistake and the industry needs another crash

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: Metal_Slug[1].png (30KB, 608x448px) Image search: [Google]
Metal_Slug[1].png
30KB, 608x448px
Have you ever met anyone who hates Metal Slug or any other classic game that doesn't feature cinematic garbage?

No, of course not, everybody likes GAMES not movies.

AAA games were a mistake, now only shitty indie devs and very few big studios try to make GAMES (Rayman, D44M for example) instead of movies.

Fucking fuck, a whole year waiting for the Spider-man gameplay reveal and guess what, it was a another fucking movie full of QTEs.

Is the industry telling me to get a new hobby, to go out and make some friends, to have sex, to play sports, to go to the gym? Maybe I should follow its advice. Modern vidya just sucks ass.

When I play Metal Slug, I feel in peace...
>>
>>380970204
I agree. If it's not fun, why bother
>>
>>380970995
I wish I were born 10 years earlier.
>>
>>380970204
all the children who grew up with AAA interactive movies will disagree with you, but it's true.
>>
You should play Another World, an even more classic game. Also AAA is not interchangeable with QTE. And Metal Slug was a AAA game.
>>
>>380970204
>Fucking fuck, a whole year waiting for the Spider-man gameplay reveal
dont complain about AAA games then talk about how hyped you are for a big media franchise you hyprocrite consumerist
>>
File: 1476233268910.jpg (93KB, 595x708px) Image search: [Google]
1476233268910.jpg
93KB, 595x708px
>>380970204
You do realize that Metal Slug was a AAA game, right? It had insane production values.
>>
>>380970204
I like games and I also like 'movies' as you call them.
Deal with it nerd.
>>
File: 1405746518602.png (33KB, 255x216px) Image search: [Google]
1405746518602.png
33KB, 255x216px
>>380970204
I actually done a little research and actually a lot of game makers were more interesting in making movies than games

For example creator of Prince of Persia were actually a crybaby that didn't want to make games but movies instead but he was "forced" to do it
Cinemaware(cinema even in name) was a company founded by a movie fan who made Defenders of Crown, game were they focused more about beautiful art and cinematic feeling than gameplay
>>
>>380971919
why you shitty little cunt?

as someone born back then, you can still play the games
>>
File: 1467013964286.gif (117KB, 316x385px) Image search: [Google]
1467013964286.gif
117KB, 316x385px
>>380970204
If the mere existence of cinematic games really does trigger you so hard, then yeah you probably do need a new hobby. Shit's like 3D graphics now, a lot of games have them even if they aren't needed. But it's not always a bad thing either because some games are just made with them in mind, especially RPGs. Games are for entertainment purposes and there isn't this strict law on what makes a video game entertaining. If a game features a lot of cutscenes but with a lot of gameplay between those cutscenes and the cutscenes and gameplay are both entertaining, then the game can and should still be considered good. Especially depending on what genre the game is.
>>
Couldn't care less about AAA, I'm enjoying my Gundam breaker games until Versus is out, then Dissidia NT. Still waiting for some EDF 5 localization news too.
>>
>>380970204
It's not AAA games, you fucking mongoloid. It is copyright and patent trolling that allows publishers to horde IPs and stifle competition.
>>
>>380971919
no fuck no you don't, playing videogames was a nightmare back then
>>
File: 1452586523599.png (545KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1452586523599.png
545KB, 640x640px
There was just as much trash back then as there is now. Blaming AAA games because you're too lazy to find something to play when we have a ton of options is your fault.

Having more hobbies isn't exactly a bad thing either. Why not test the waters and do something creative, go to the gym, go outside for once or even just fucking read.
>>
>>380970204
yes and hopefully soon but the industry is similar to hollywood with their "Too big to fail" block buster mentality, hell even some of the budgets for these projects go way beyond the biggest movies and I guarantee the marketing budget isn't worked into that in the same way
>D44m
that is not a good example.
wading through piles of early access indie shit can occasionally yield a decent game hough
>>
>>380970204
Are the metal slug games worth it on the Switch or they're poor ports?
>>
>>380972676
You obviously missed his point. Spiderman is also a AAA game but instead off being a game it's a cinematic "experience". That's the kind of shit gamers look forward to now.
>>
File: 1481636570491.png (353KB, 570x464px) Image search: [Google]
1481636570491.png
353KB, 570x464px
>industry needs another crash
its been a very slow and drawn out crash you dumbfuck

also atari are up to a new system for some fucking reason so you bet your ass its happening
>>
>>380970204
AAA games are made exactly because market is overflowed, The game has to be playable by mouthbreather or can go and fuck itself.
>>
File: You_win_the_prize.jpg (45KB, 523x349px) Image search: [Google]
You_win_the_prize.jpg
45KB, 523x349px
>>380970204
/biz/ here.
what you call "crash" is actually an event of sudden squeezing of the market, due to irresponsibly high supply not meeting its projected demand.

In order for that to happen, a few conditions the market must meet, besides the mentioned above:
1. The market is mostly shared between 10-100 middle-sized corporate players, who couldn't afford themselves to liquidate unwanted units;
2. The market has to grow exponentially on monthly basis (which in current environment doesn't happen because of so few major players)

None of that will happen any time soon. Some indies shall vapor (but they come and go as it is), but the market holds their ground firmly due to every major player diversifying their product portfolio in fair way (not major difference between the titled, but enough of it to not call every single AAA title an iconic, cinematic, QTE experience)
>>
>>380974523
Then why is multiplayer so fucking huge you retard.
>>
>>380975456
No actually video game crash happened because proto /v/ memed it into existence by posting on bulletin boards from their Apple II-s.
>>
>>380970204
it's because this industry is a haven for people that failed everywhere else.

political pundits that failed to get a job at the New York Times or Buzzfeed or Salon have to settle for Kotaku or Polygon to wax about their marxist philosophy.

screenwriters and directors who failed to find work in Hollywood come to video games to bring their failed projects to life here, putting a gun to player's heads and forcing them to watch every agonizing second of their abortions before giving them meager amounts of gameplay.
>>
>>380970204
are you fucking stupid? JRPG games like FF7 and the likes are technically cinematic games because 99% of them is dialogue and story
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.