[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone actually give a shit about the civil war? I didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: GeneralTullius.png (1MB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
GeneralTullius.png
1MB, 600x1000px
Did anyone actually give a shit about the civil war? I didn't really sense any political conflict until these commanders had me slaughtering loads of random guards for a reason I didn't really understand or care about.

I actually felt bad doing the quest as I don't particularly want to instigate violence yet in order to progress I have to kill dozens or even hundreds of innocent guys who aren't likely interested in the politics aspect either.

Come to think of it, I don't think there was a single quest line that was memorable in a good way.
>>
You don't? Most of it is retaking forts or cities, whose guardforce are hostile to you during this. Generally having control over key positions like forts and cities is considered important in taking over a region
>>
>>380954128
Witcher 3 made me wonder if guys like Bethesda are even trying.
>>
Whenever i start a new game, alternate start, by ship solitude, do the civil war. Fuck the main questline, it is so boring and garbage.
>>
It really wasn't great, but I still liked it so much more than the main quest. I kind of wish they developed that aspect more than the dragon fuckery.
>>
>>380954128
All the war quests felt like scenes from a high school play. It was absolutely pathetic, just like all other quests in this game.
>>
>>380954128
Like the rest of TES lore, it's better on paper
>>
>>380955081
The war isn't boring and garbage? Go to this fort, kill as many guards you can in 3 minutes, report back and go to another fort. There's nothing interesting at all.
>>
>>380954128
Something fucked up on my favorite file and a wall loaded in the beginning of the dungeon with the bone crown and completely shut down that questline for me. It's a shame because I wanted to keep the crown and abandon the war later.
>>
>>380954128
it was the same problem all of skyrim had, being shallow as fuck
>>
A hero of war
Yeah, that's what I'll be
And when I come home
They'll be damn proud of me
I'll carry this flag
To the grave if I must
Cause it's a flag that I love
And a flag that I trust
>>
>>380954128
I remember people arguing about it like rl politics when Skyrim came out.
>>
>>380956441
That's the most fun part desu
>>
>>380956441
>I remember people arguing about it like rl politics when Skyrim came out.
Nigga there was a thread just last week of people arguing over it
>>
>>380954128
I never bothered to do the civil war quests.
I did finish the main quest once, but never bothered to do it again.
>>
>>380956441
I thought it was just a sort of shitposting.
>>
>>380956142
I <3 greenday
>>
File: 1409595243808.gif (2MB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
1409595243808.gif
2MB, 189x189px
>>380956142
rise against is fuckin gay
>>
On my first and only playthrough I played a bow thief and did the thief's guild all the way. What's another enjoyable way of playing?
>>
>>380957028
pick a melee guy, set the game on easiest setting and whack everything to death and become archbishop and assassin leader
>>
File: 1302665106790.jpg (40KB, 663x350px) Image search: [Google]
1302665106790.jpg
40KB, 663x350px
>Tamriel has ten races
>a single one of them banded together to try and destroy the world out of spite because a human became a god
>this single race can somehow overpower the entirety of the other 9 together and almost destory the empire because otherwise they wouldn't be able to shoehorn in a civil war plot in the game that was just a sequence of "capturing" some minor castles here and there
>>
>>380957161
Did you not read any of the lore or is this just bait?
>>
File: 1496870134038.jpg (33KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1496870134038.jpg
33KB, 400x400px
>>380956824
Fag
>>
>IT'S A SIEGE
>OMG DEFEND THA CITY
>stormcloaks running in a straight line towards some stairs
>can cheese the whole "siege" by standing at the top of the stairs swinging a two hander
>gameplay

Shamefur desu
>>
>>380957241
you american idiot
>>
>>380954128
>I have to kill dozens or even hundreds of innocent guys who aren't likely interested in the politics aspect either

What are you on about? You have to kill bloody stormcloaks
>>
It's really interesting that there not even one likeable or really memorable character in the entire game
Any character that can be cool is not and their "unique" characters are pale imitation of other games
>>
File: katria.jpg (113KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
katria.jpg
113KB, 500x278px
>>380954128
>I don't think there was a single quest line that was memorable in a good way
lost to the ages
>>
>>380957298
Shit like that actually happened in real life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stamford_Bridge
>>
hard to care about it when it was basically like 6 soldiers fighting each other at any given time and had zero impact on the game world in any way, aside from changing a few of the jarls
>>
>>380955559
This. The lore is interesting but in game they just can't get it right. The Civil War with the Thalmor, Talos, etc, all of it is an interesting backdrop but in game all you do is really mediocre for quests for it.
>>
>>380957613
Noyce
>>
Not even the devs remembered the civil war. I was actually waiting for an expansion to finish it up, but it never happened. They keep re releasing the game and idiots keep buying it, so who knows though.
>>
>>380957028
Get block to 100 and run everything down with your shield.
>>
>>380957613
this makes mount & blade historically accurate
>>
>>380954128
You're not wrong, but every time I start a new game I feel like I should finish the civil war quest as a background for my characters. Stormcloaks for nords and Imperial for everything else. It helps me feel like my characters are part of the world and not just a nobody dragonborn.

RP>Skyrim's shit gameplay

Yes I'm lonely.
>>
How many times have you people played through Skyrim? I got through it once, + expansions and haven't touched it again since. What the hell are you people finding to do to make multiple characters, let alone buy the game more than once?
>>
is there any way to make this game fun other than stealth archer or anything regarding archery at all in fact
>>
>>380961310
Mods,
It gets said every thread, but playing Skyrim with 150+ mods makes it one of the most immersive and best rpgs out there.
>>
>>380961452
see
>>380961465
>>
>>380956597

Also yesterday, these things come in waves
>>
>>380961310
mods
>>
>>380961310
I'm the same but I know I have only done like 1/5th of the questlines and a different playstyle would be nice. I also don't want one maxed out character that has everything, that's kinda boring
>>
>>380954128
The problem is the civil war doesn't matter. If you help Ulfric he lets his rival keep the throne and makes no attempt to kick the Thalmor out. There's no resolution or consequence. You are rewarded by skipping a quest at the summit which was interesting to watch.
>>
>>380961310
Played it once back in the day. Played the main quest and guilds through, didn't bother with other side quests.

Played the expansions when they came out. Tried playing the vampire DLC twice to see how they differ when you join different factions. Result was: they do not differ. At all.

Tried replaying it a few months back but got bored after 20 minutes. Can't imagine getting excited about it anymore.
>>
>>380961310
I made new characters to play civil war and vampire slut DLC. Finished Hermaeus Mora DLC with my main quest guy.
Whole game sucked on an epic scale.
>>
>>380956597
>arguing over it

Over what? The imperials tried to kill you, the stormcloaks didn't. the imperials are the bad guys, and Skyrim belongs to the nords.

>>380961587
>>380961465

Do these mods add storylines and locations and monsters and fix the lame combat?
>>
>>380954128

>white elves
>take over the wood elves and cat people while crushing the empire and forcing them to abandon their sacred god and founder
>nigger elves
>lose a war in the desert against fish people that can't be on land for prolonged periods and are unironically ruled over by them in their desert land without able to mount a successful resistance

HOW CAN THEY EVEN COMPETE
>>
>>380961452
Yeah a mage with enchanting as the #1 skill. You can make destruction magic cost 0 mana
>>
>>380961658
>add storyline
more or less i suppose? there are mods that add additional quests that are far superior than the majority of the base game's quests

>locations and monster
definitely

>fix the lame combat
honestly, to me, no
there are some mods that "fix" or "update" the combat but it all feels more or less the same and just terrible in general
keep in mind that skyrim is the only elder scrolls game to have the best combat amongst all other elder scrolls games
>>
>>380961658
Mods add anything you want faggot, mods add big battles on the borders between the warring factions, monsters locations new combat systems and thousands of other things. This is what Bethesda games about, you can personalize it to your liking with mods
>>
50 Replies
34 Posters

We're reaching levels of samefagging that shouldnt be possible
>>
>>380954128
I would have cared, but as you pointed out it doesn't really feel like there's a civil war going on (once you're out of Helgen, anyhow). I'm sure players would've gotten more involved if the war started getting in the way of exploring and affected things in towns.
>>
Name one instance of good writing in Skyrim. I'll wait.
>>
>>380961658
There are more quest mods, more npcs to flush out the world mods, civil war mods that make the civil war large and epic, there are mods that add dodge mechanics, massive location damage to make the combat fast paced.

My favorite mod is frostfall and realistic needs that disables fast travel and adds weather and you have to plan your journey from location to location with food and depending on where you are going cloaks and warm clothes to not freeze to death.

Huge boost to immersion and play time.
>>
>>380961932
It's not samefagging if people are having conversations, not arguments.
>>
>>380961996
Should I give Frostfall another try? I couldn't get into it much, but I have a Necromancer character I'm liking so far and it might be neat.
>>
>>380962130
Frostfall is a great starting point to add other survival mods onto. It will work with most. Download weather, dark nights, realistic needs, camping, and equipment mods to add depth and an entirely new aspect to the game.

That with combat mods is where I start every time when I'm redownloading.
>>
>>380961937
Yeah, or if the common citizens would mention literally anything that there's tension in the air and a possible conflict coming up.

I mean, how hard would it be just to make a few bartenders or shopkeepers say a few lines about how they don't serve thalmor scum in their establishment, or how the imperials should leave us alone, or the nords are savages? Simple stuff like that would make the player far more invested in the thing, but no, it's just a political circus between two faggots whom you've only just met.
>>
>>380954128
They did a good job at not making Imperials vs Stormcloaks black and white, I'll give them that. But the entire storyline was incredibly boring. It's just a handful of soldiers fighting, with no interesting battles, and no depth at all. It's just going to this castle, killing some enemies, and then leaving. There was no political intrigue at all. No schemes, or brilliant battle plans that you would get to see unfold. Even when you could choose where soldiers stand it was still anti-climactic, there was no strategy at all. There was no cunning maneuvers by the legion, no guerrilla warfare by the Stormcloaks. Just repetitive quests; we don't even get the mandatory betrayal like in every other questline. It would have been amazing if you were in the middle of a battle, and one of your 'allies' betrayed you, and you lost. Or if the Jarl of Markath defected, and attacked Solitude, and you had to rush there to amount a desperate defense.

The only memorable part is at the very end when you kill either Ulfric or Tullius, when Legate Rikka chooses to fight at risk of certain death, or when she says "Talos be with you" to Ulfric. That was the only interesting part in the entire storyline. It amazes me that they didn't take advantage of political intrigue, that's probably one of the easiest forms of entertainment, and everyone loves it. Instead you're doing the same thing, and taking 20 identical fortresses, and then you attack Solitude/Windhelm. I don't even remember if you take a city other than the capital of each side, or if you just take a fort, and then you magically take the entire hold. It's that unmemorable. Which is unfortunate, because sneaking through the sewers to attack Riftin would have been a great quest.
>>
So how do I mod Skyrim to have writing exciting and twisty as A Song of Ice and fire.
>>
>>380962790
This might not be exactly what you asked but it's very close.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/84575/?
You're welcome.
>>
>>380961706
>Said fish people that were the only ones to push the daedra back during the oblivion crisis, and then going a further step by invading oblivion, forcing the portals to be closes
>>
>>380964407
Well yeah, Daedra can't swim how are they going to win in the swamp
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.