[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can Mario games have such amazing level design but awful

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: 3dworld_bosses.jpg (159KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3dworld_bosses.jpg
159KB, 1280x720px
How can Mario games have such amazing level design but awful boss battles?
>>
>>380933974
I wouldn't say those are awful, just not particularly memorable.
>>
File: 1458240350180.gif (2MB, 250x190px) Image search: [Google]
1458240350180.gif
2MB, 250x190px
>>380933974
>not wanting to fug the plump snake
>>
>>380933974
furfag bowser? what the fuck
>>
>>380934147
I would want to fug it, but it was a much too easy boss.
>>
>>380933974
Honestly I was fine with final Bowser being a platforming challenge instead of "the same boss you already fought multiple times, but slightly longer with different music". The platforming challenge just wasn't especially challenging.

I think the issue is that Nintendo wants everyone to be able to "finish" their games. Bosses are typically mandatory, so they have to be easy. Whereas you can create a lot of optional levels that are more difficult. If they created a difficult original boss that was purely optional they might consider it a waste of resources.
>>
Mario usually has a limited number of ways to interact with enemies. Fights are usually designed around this and don't utilize powerups or temporary mechanics.
>>
>>380933974
They need to start making their bosses optional. This would free them up to design bosses that can't be beaten by toddlers.
It works for their levels, most aren't strictly needed to progress.
>>
>>380934196
Regular Bowser was already furfag Bowser. They even have an annual Bowser day when they post new Bowser rule 34.
>>
>>380934258
This, especially for games like the 2D ones and 3D World/Land where outside of power-ups, there really isn't a form of attack that isn't just jumping.
>>
Because mario is a simple game designed to just be fun, not challenging.
So bosses dont have a lot of effort or thought put into them.
>>
>>380934196
In the last fight, Bowser uses the cat suit powerup himself.
>>
>>380934996
Why does everyone else match their color scheme but Mario is yellow instead of red?
>>
>>380935293
Glad Im not the only one pissed off by this
>>
File: 6.png (417KB, 740x283px) Image search: [Google]
6.png
417KB, 740x283px
>>380935293
Don't know, cat Rosalina is black though.
>>
>>380935293
Because it was designed for Mario first as a typical Mario powerup. They aren't normally colour-coded to Mario, so the fur looks more like a cat's would, like how the frog suit was green because that's what a frog looks like.

The other characters were colour-coded to distinguish them in gameplay.
>>
>>380934996
>uses the cat suit powerup himself

Forgetting something?
>>
>>380933974
Mario power ups provide him with the ability to take an extra hit in addition to providing him with a special power, without a power up Mario has extremely limited means of interacting with enemies, usually relegated to jumping on them. Nintendo can't design bosses which require abilities beyond base Mario's skill set like fire or tanooki powers. That would require either the fight being potentially unwinnable or Mario having infinite access to power ups and therefore infinite life.

Really, Nintendo just needs to flesh out Mario's base skill set more. It's been regressing since 64.
>>
>>380936570
I think that was partially the purpose behind the FLUDD and the Galaxy Spin. It's also not as much of a problem in those games because Mario has a health bar.
>>
>>380937195
I'm kind of frustrated Nintendo added these new movement gimmicks when they otherwise heavily gimped Mario's core movement abilities. It was just sort of self defeating. Why do that when you could actually fix the swimming, which has been done well in other Nintendo games like Majora's Mask, but has never been good in Mario.
>>
>>380937936
Isuppose they either found the moves redundant or thought that the new moves/gimmicks made up for it. How do you not have FLUDD for example?
>>
The simplistic patterns that they seem to adhere to out of tradition instead of a desire to "push gameplay forward", which is something they claim to do with each game.

Most shitty bosses are
>throw some things that will hurt you in predetermined spots
>they'll never touch you if you just stand in a certain spot
>chills for a second to get ready for next attack, you jump on their head
>gets mad and jumps/flies around throwing more things, you can't do anything but dodge it
>cools down for a second, you jump on it
>repeat

The rabbit boss we saw in Oddysey was the same shit, she causes some explosions or something in a pattern that have a 0% chance of touching you, then you jump on her head and repeat. They bosses are not good because nintendo probably sees them as breaks between the meat of the game (levels) instead of "tests" where they can throw new things at you.
>>
File: 1492982301028.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1492982301028.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>380933974
I used to think this was due to the fact that Mario's only method of attack (or most prevalent, since he can also throw things) is jumping.

Then I played Tropical Freeze.
>>
>>380933974
Mario games always have Awful boss battles
>>
>>380938605
Muh Niggah.
>>
>>380938605
The absolute best part of tropical freeze is that the bosses have very clear telegraphed opportunities to be attacked, but they also have riskier opportunities to be hit during their patterns.

Mario also needs more bosses which are fought by throwing things at them rather than jumping, and he needs his offensive moves like his dive back from 64.

Also, Tropical Freeze gets HUGE props for not having "tap jump to ascend" swimming.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.