[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are QTE's really that bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: Qte.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Qte.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
Are QTE's really that bad?
>>
Not really, at least Gof War's weren't.
>>
>>380912442
It's not, but it's just so over-used.
>>
Not inherently depends on the game and how they are used
>>
>>380912442
They are if it's the press one button once or instantly die kind. Fucking RE4 and the boulders.
>>
>>380912906
This. Asura's Wrath was QTE: the game but boy wasnt that shit fun as fuck. 10/10 would yell endlessy again.
>>
It's a lazy way to ask someone to play a game. You're not learning any cool new skills, or making use of the game's movement mechanics, or learning how to outsmart an opponent. You're just mindlessly pressing a button or two.
>>
File: 1492926472593.jpg (25KB, 458x360px) Image search: [Google]
1492926472593.jpg
25KB, 458x360px
>>380912442
It really depends on how they were used. In games where you're trying to RIP AND TEAR they work pretty well and can add to the sense of doing so.

I think they can also work really well in horror games, like RE4 where they're usually meant to try to keep you on your toes and give you the sense that you're never really safe.
>>
Depends on context. I don't have any problem with God of War or Asura Wrath QTEs, but shit like the new Spiderman with the crane seems really poorly implemented. Its a QTE only because there was no other way to have player input and making it a cutscene would probably be less interesting.
>>
>>380914817
Dying light's QTE final battle was fucking hilarious for a game where you spend countless hours beating zeds to a pulp with sweet combat only to fight mr bad guy and its.. press x now press q.. now press x again.
>>
>>380912442
It's the lazy and/or low-cost solution.
>>
>>380913110
Asura's Wrath and The Wonderful 101 are the best 2 examples of it done right.

Bayo 1 is probably the worst case there is, with Resi5/6 getting special mentions if you're playing with a retard.
>>
>>380915276
I think games should try to implement them more naturally. Like for Spiderman there will almost certainly be a Spiey sense button in combat that you use to counter attacks, so just give you an obvious spidey senses signal above your head or something telling you to press counter button.

Then when the crane comes along just put that symbol above your head, now you know what you need to do and it's just using the games mechanics.
>>
>>380912442
What happens in the picture?
>>
>>380916470
You gouge poseidon's eyes out from his point of view
>>
>>380916470
You pop in poseidons eyes and tear off his head
>>
>press A to win
>press X to win
>you did so good
>you're a real gamer ^_^

You're right, skill should never be a barrier to entry for any medium. It's has no place being part of an experience. If you struggle at all they should just let you continue as if you did it perfectly. After all, you can just skip the hard words in a book :3
>>
One day my dream of a game boss that has QTEs that slowly evolve into a typing tutor will be realized.
>>
>>380912442
Not per se, GoW QTEs were fun as fuck, the Cyclops eye is a classic
>>
using QTE for coolness is fine (Yakuza)

using QTE to replace actual gameplay is not
>>
Any game where you're supposed to press a button to do something is a qte
>>
I liked God of War's, and even RE4's use of them. I don't like extreme jamming of a button, but GoW's finishers are exciting and made cool by their QTEs kind of.
>>
File: checkmate.jpg (35KB, 461x600px) Image search: [Google]
checkmate.jpg
35KB, 461x600px
>>380919659
Wow, hey this is some clever subversion of the discussion.

You. I like you ;)
>>
>>380919070
I kind of feel like frog fractions encompasses this idea.
>>
>>380912442
No, but Shadow of Mordor went too far. The final boss is literally "push this button once to win, don't even expect a cool QTE moment not even a scene"
>>
File: ss-131.jpg (114KB, 1060x584px) Image search: [Google]
ss-131.jpg
114KB, 1060x584px
>>380912442
Yes. Always. There is never a situation where they're good.
>>
>>380912906
MGS4 microwave crawl?
>>
honestly you'd just think that after more than a decade of QTEs developers would figure out a more interesting dynamic instead of relying on

>show scenario
>show button prompt
>button prompt resolves scenario

when a developer uses a QTE, and at least doesn't make any effort of trying to hide it, I get a little mad. But GoW did it's share of pioneering for QTEs in the 00's so it has tenure i guess
>>
>>380920118
the thread started with one
>>
>>380912442
I don't understand why developers are so scared shitless of just giving you a regular ass cutscene. They should let you watch and reap the rewards of a cutscene for doing well in a fight rather than having to mash a button or swirl a stick around while the rest of your controls are taken away.

Make a choice. Cutscene or regular controls. Don't do this QTE bullshit, it's not fun and it's not engaging. It doesn't make you feel "in control", it makes you feel like you're being told how to play and what to do.
>>
>>380912442
They're not bad if it's during a segment that would have ended up being a regular cutscene anyway, but when it replaces more interactive gameplay it's a problem.
>>
>>380920578
But you aren't right.
>>
>>380912442
No, I never thought so. Always thought it was more engaging pressing a button over sitting there just watching a cut scene. I also don't get how the same people who complain about cut scenes because they don't have interactivity, also complain about QTEs which practically give that to them. But the same people complain when they have to play a walking segment that's basically an interactive cut scene, so I just always assumed they're just really impatient. The only reason I see to get mad at having to sit through that stuff is if you're replaying the game, which is kind of bullshitty, I will agree.
>>
>>380920682
>They're not bad if it's during a segment that would have ended up being a regular cutscene anyway,
I disagree, that's when they're especially bad. Always having to clench your ass cheeks during a cutscene and be prepared to smash a button rather than relax and enjoy the scene while letting your hands relax for the next part.
Honestly, I'm shocked at how much /v/ has changed. In the day, you'd be lynched for saying you like quick time events. I miss those days.
>>
>>380912442
Nah, if they're creative like your image, or where they make a cutscene interactive I think they're cool.

The " PRESS A TO NOT DIE!" QTE shit like in Bayonetta are the bad ones.
>>
I like the QTE's in God of War in which you had the option in killing the enemy that way or not. You could still wail on them like you were before or you can initiate a QTE for a finisher. For bosses it was much weaker, but at least you didn't die if you failed most of them, just a health penalty.
>>
File: 1311067581050.jpg (69KB, 423x439px) Image search: [Google]
1311067581050.jpg
69KB, 423x439px
I fucking hate every single instance of QTE I've ever experienced and I'm shocked to see so many people like them. What the fuck.
>>
>>380921148
>In the day, you'd be lynched for saying you like quick time events. I miss those days.

Not really. I've been wasting my life on this site for about a decade and no one ever gave me shit for liking qtes.
>>
>>380921148
This. When I see a cutscene I have no idea if it's a regular cutscene or I have to be ready to play simon says when I want to sit back and enjoy the cutscene. It's too awkward of a mix of "interactivity" and filmshit.
>>
>>380919873
Tell me more.
>>
>>380921372
Bullshit. I specifically remember giving /v/irgins shit back in 2002 about liking QTEs and having threads full of QTE hate. Stop pretending to be an oldfag newfag.
>>
>>380921946
Explaining it would ruin it. FF is just a free browser game so just go play it.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.