[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

run n' hide vs combat in horror games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1494104093805.jpg (46KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494104093805.jpg
46KB, 480x480px
What's so scary on running away from enemies? I don't get it. When you have actual means of defending yourself but the resources are scarce you have actual fight or flight response that is in my opinion scarier than just always knowing you have to run away if spotted because you have no chance of defending yourself.
>>
Not knowing what's after you is spoopy, and if you're running away then you can't look at the creppy ghoulie about to make you his next meal. You know the biggest problem with the horror genre is that the gameplay just stinks. Walking sims? Puts me to sleep. I guess the argument goes that if the player is having too much fun, they can't be scared? Give me Mario 64 but I'm permanently scared shitless and you got horror game of the year.
>>
The issue is getting spooked or getting a game over doesn't really mean much in a gameplay sense. Failure isn't punished so there isn't much tension if the bad guy finds you or catches you. You're sent back two minutes or so to experience the same spook of you fail again.

No idea how to make a spooky game work, not my job. Limited resources or using failure as part of the games narrative could be interesting to play with of implemented right.
>>
>>380850695
>What's so scary on running away from enemies
gee, I don't know. fucking getting caught?
>>
Imo a good horror game will have a mix of both. Look at RE4 for example. The chainsaw enemies you could kill but the first times you encounter them it's best for you to run away and save ammo which creates a lot of tension without making the hero feel like a total pisswad.
>>
>>380851919
Resident Evil 1-3 has save scarcity. Saving consumes items you find in the world, encouraging intelligently spaced saving and giving tension when the player is in danger and they have not recently made a save.
>>
>>380852002
so you get a game over
then what? repeat the same thing that has ceased to be scary
>>
SOMA would be one of the best games ever with actual combat and enemies with scarce resources and save system without checkpoints.

>>380852002
For the first time maybe. Then it becomes a puzzle game where you figured the AI out and play it to your advantage. That's not scary imo.
>>
Don't know about scariness, but running around like a tull is the most boring gameplay that I have ever seen, like fucking hell. Imo when it comes to action gameplay in horrors RE4 and The Evil Within are the best bet, on other hand old Silent Hills have so magnificent atmosphere that gameplay is not that important, but sadly that's an exception.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.