[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: latest.jpg (116KB, 754x960px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
116KB, 754x960px
This might sound absolutely retarded, but how do you play as a mage in Dark Souls? I've beaten this game more than 5 times, but never as a magic-based character. All of my play throughs have been pure Melee.

>which class do you pick?
>what attribute should I focus on?
>(this is the one I don't that confuses me) since you don't have any powerful magic early on, what weapon do you use until you do get some spells/staff?
>do you upgrade said weapon?
>best staff early and late game?
>do I need to use any melee weapon at all?
>>
Since pyromancy in ds is op as fuck and requires zero stat investment, upgrade the pyromancy flame and go nuts.
>>
>Pump int to 45 or 50
>Acquire all the soul arrow spells
>Kill everything by backpeddling and shooting them with no effort
>Unlock crystal magic
>Kill everything even easier
>Acquire dark beads
>Kill every boss in 1-3 shots.

That's about the jist of it.
>>
>>380842387

>Mage
>Pyromancy

Pick one. Pyromancers are the casuals of the mage world, no stat investment unless you count the 45 dex cap for animations.
>>
magic was always hard mode for me because of instead of rolling through attacks and poking ankles, you have to manage distance and time shit
>>
>>380842526

So by Mage I take it you mean sorcerer. There is 3 types of magic. Two require dedicated builds to be worth a shit. One doesn't.
>>
>>380842606

I always liked this about magic in dark souls.

Playing a mage felt like you had to be a bit more critical, playing a warrior felt like you had to be quicker on your toes.
>>
>>380842298
It's fun, but it's incredibly OP if you know what items to use. Dusk's crown, dragon ring and you'll destroy everything with no effort. If you also get logan's crystal scepter it's even more broken, but with less casts. Not to mention Moonlight greatsword with high int is amazing.
>>
>>380842820

SL120 Fight Clubs were my jam with my sorcerer high stamina/int built.

Swag fashion soulsing combined with maxed out MLGS, I always ended up using the sword more than my sorceries.

[spoilers] I had 5 maxed out MLGS's to quickswap between when one ran out of R2 charges
>>
>>380842298
You can buy a 2nd stack of Soul Arrows from the blacksmith in New Londo. Then rescue Griggs and buy another stack from him. That's 90 casts. Kill the hydra asap for the crown (+20%) and the Oolacile catalyst (best damage until ~27 int). Also get the bellowing dragon ring from Griggs for another +20%.

You can do all that within an hour of starting. The rest is easy.
>>
I usually do a DEX/INT build.

Wanderer/Deprived

Make all of your standard attributes 50, but make INT like, 53. Make sure you have decent amount of attunement slots.

Claymore with Crystal Magic Weapon is great
Moonlight is also very fun to play with

With CMW, use Uchi +10 as well as BSS +10

Your DPS will be so goddamn high the Dunkstein/Slammough fight will be a cakewalk.

With this build, you'll be highly competitive at lvl (150?) to anyone except those with high magic resistance.
>>
>>380843143
>53
Why? Scaling slows down after 40. 44 is definitely worthwhile for Crystal Soul Spear, 50 is debatable for White Dragon Breath. Over 50 is full retard.
>>
>>380843287

You get a slight boost to weapons like Moonlight for having 53 or Claymore with CMW. Anything past that is pointless. The small boost in damage makes a noticeable difference.

54 onward don't give any boosts.
>>
>>380842992
>You can buy a 2nd stack of Soul Arrows from the blacksmith in New Londo. Then rescue Griggs and buy another stack from him. That's 90 casts.

It works like that?
>>
>>380844161
...why did you think it didn't?
>>
>>380844247
I never bothered buying a duplicate of a spell I already had.
>>
>>380843548
wrong
40 is where you get noticeable boost to mlgs dmg
after that you get +1 point of damage per level
>>
>>380842298
>how do you play as a mage in Dark Souls
you stand still and cast your one shot kill projectile magic then you've beaten the game.
>>
>>380842456
Dark Bead isn't that OP in PvE.
>>
X
>>
Last bump. Thanks everyone.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.