[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EA/DICE Battlefield 1 collaboration with youtube channels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

ITT: I'm trying to find out more youtube channels/personalities that have collaborated with EA on this title, just out of straight curiosity

I didn't like BF1 for several reasons but I've noticed something interesting about it:

Being publisher of this magnitude we obviously means that their marketing budget is fuckhuge, but the campaign had other, more unorthodox aspect. Remember articles where DICE spokeperson said that "at first we've encountered resistance from the management which said that majority of people won't even know what WW1 is"?

Knowing that average AAA game has 3 year development cycle(pre-production for a year or so -> production for 1,5-2 years and then there's support which I didn't count in these 3 years), you can easily come up with an obvious date for when did BF1 story started. The talks referenced in that interview happened at around 2012/early 2013 and the whole thing started moving forward from an idea to game in 2013 or early 2014. The way they've used youtube for marketing is one of the weirdest ideas I've ever seen:

The most obvious yt-related collaboration they've got was from Forgotten Weapons - Ian posted on his FB that he works as a consultant in EA somewhere back in 2014. The channel deals with the exact thing its name suggests - which is why you see so many weird prototype designs in that game.

Then in summer of 2014 yet another channel was created and I think there you've had direct EA involvement. The Great War covers WW1 history by doing week-by-week summaries of what happened 100 years ago. The collaboration wouldn't be obvious if it wasn't for the fact that in Verdun stream loooong time ago(I think it was deleted since) they've hinted BF1 being WW1 looong before the reveal(later on "bragged" about it in stream about Italian rifles I think). Coming back to FW, as soon as they've showed up, on the first opportunity, Ian released a video showcasing Hotchkiss HMG, MG08 and Vickers and made direct reference to TGW. (cont)
>>
>>380839106
whether it was planned by EA or not - can't tell. However during the same stream where TGW bragged about this hint, they were asked by the viewers if they'll review the game or not(don't remember if they did) and if so, on what platform. The backstage crew said that they only have a PS4's but the host said that "he knows somebody who could get them new gaming PC's just to review it". Which I assume was somebody from DICE or EA.

Yet another channel is C&Rsenal which collaborates with TGW and deals with in-depth description and history of WW1 firearms. It came to life in 2015 and again - came out of nowhere. Somehow, an unknown gun collector decided that yes, this is something he's gonna buy equipment for and make a channel about it. Now he's better known but you get the point - it was pre-planned show, just like The Great War, the format and quality of the show was just as "professional" as it is now.

I'm not saying they're shills - in fact I believe all those 3 channels are very high quality and can recommend all of them but what surprised me is that they all kind of answer the problem that suit had early on. "Majority of people don't know anything about WW1" and so EA very likely helped to fund 2 of those 3 channels(FW is older than that and the guy who makes it works as a consultant in various companies for a looong time now) to make people... know something about WW1. That's pretty uncommon marketing scheme you wouldn't expect from EA.

Has any of you noticed other channels that at some point were "bringing knowledge about WW1 to the masses" around the time BF1 development was starting/going on?
>>
This is pretty interesting anon but /v/ probably isn't the best place to discuss it.
I know for a fact they got the usual battlefield guys like levelcap and stuff to shill, but that's obvious. I know theres also another youtuber friends with the squad up crew who does WW1 history videos that was probably involved.
>>
File: IMG_4354.jpg (122KB, 640x530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4354.jpg
122KB, 640x530px
>>380839106
I like what you're saying, but FUCK I wish /v/ could actually have these discussions
>>
Interesting
>>
>>380839106
Most will be written in on contracts, either for a set period of time, or for a certain number of videos.

This can translate to a specific number of hours total, or gameplay time over a set period of days,weeks,months etc.

These are the most obvious advertisers on already large gaming channels, however most of these now admit when they have been sponsored, or you can figure it out yourself, if you have anything close to average critical thinking skills.

Another aspect is similar to the thread you are plucking. Avoiding sponsoring and working around content creators altogether.

Companies will actively pay for views,likes,traffic and deploy bots for comment sections in order to boost videos that will drum up interest in their game.

Now moving up the chain further, the backhand funds to social media, google and the companies it owns.

Advertisement has become less in your face and more subversive. It actively attempts to manipulate you, building false communities, comments and hype to try and sway you.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.