[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For a modern day successor, did it turn out all right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: 1200.jpg (146KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
146KB, 1200x675px
For a modern day successor, did it turn out all right?
>>
It's a casual shitfest, like every other remake of the last years.

You have a wallhack to see people in an entire level, you have an arrow telling you exactly where to go, you can't hide in the shadows anymore... in fact, there are no more shadows in the game.

It's so bright, and they even added some highlight around key items, to make sure dumb console players don't miss them.

I give the game 0/10, literally. Because they not only fucked up the game, but they also gave a bad name to the franchise.

Also, if it was any good, people would be talking about it even today. Too bad that everyone forgot this game two weeks after release.
>>
File: The Dark Mod.jpg (261KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
The Dark Mod.jpg
261KB, 1280x1024px
>>380834821
It got a few things wrong - noticeably, the atmosphere. Otherwise?

The rest of it fucking sucked. Garrett isn't Garrett, he lacks personality. Fuck nuGarrett.

I wouldn't mind some of the gameplay, but the problem is that a LARGE part of the first few thief games was the character OF the environment. The City itself had personality.

Sadly, the environment itself, beyond the nice textures and shaders, is linear as fuck.

The story is also fucking stupid. They should have just had the main character be the little girl Garrett adopts at the end of thief 3.

There is, luckily, an alternative. Pic related.
>>
File: thief-hidden room extravaganza.jpg (86KB, 1218x586px) Image search: [Google]
thief-hidden room extravaganza.jpg
86KB, 1218x586px
>>380834821
You tell me.
>>
>>380836971
A few things right*
>>
>>380834821
fuck, bloodborne did not age well
>>
File: OldGarrettVsNewGarret.jpg (142KB, 1024x589px) Image search: [Google]
OldGarrettVsNewGarret.jpg
142KB, 1024x589px
>>380836971
NuGarrett has personality, but it's that I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS shallow interpretation for the modern audience of who old Garrett was. Original stole because he was good at it and it paid the bills, everything he got caught up in was accidental and beyond his control. Old Garrett would never say something pretentious like "first I stole to live, now I live to steal" or similar shit.
>>
>>380837235
The best part about oldGarrett for me, was how he ended up just accepting that he was the hero. He never wanted any of the heroics that he ended up being dragged into.
That and how he managed to fall in love with the nymph that tore his eye out.
>>
>>380834821
The game is fucking terrible. The worst part about it somehow ISN'T Garrett's re-overdesign, the developer's hatred towards stealth based games, but the sound mixing. EVERYTHING sounded like it was right behind you. No matter which floor, direction, what made the noise; all sounds were the same. Made it incredibly hard to play. Sense is important in a game genre that shouldn't have Batman vision.
>>
>>380837687
To be fair Thief had stellar sound design because it incorporated it so well into the game as an integral part. Other games would give you a sound bar to look at while Thief made you actually LISTEN, for example. Linear level design that's an antithesis to what Thief used to be was the biggest misstep in Thiaf for me. Not like you can't get something at least similar based on what Dishonored's been doing, but that requires actually designing levels with some semblance of skill.
>>
>>380838036
That's my problem with dishonored. You're way, way too powerful. The game has little to no challenge. It's still fun, but, not challenging. Not unless you limit yourself.. Which, why would you do that?
>>
>throwing away all of the sick ass lore

There's no excuse for that. Some of the hammerite sermons and pagan chants are awe inspiring. I genuinely believe classic Thief has some of the best worldbuilding in any video game series.
>>
>>380838207
Agreed. I hope that, despite the slim chance, that we get to return to Thief 1's world at some point. I'd love to see what it's like not just in The City, but other places as well.
>>
File: App_erin.png (524KB, 561x945px) Image search: [Google]
App_erin.png
524KB, 561x945px
>>380838207
problem was most likely that they had no idea what to make of the game - reboot or sequel, so it's an awkward combination of both.
>>
If Thief 1/2 are on one end of the stealth spectrum, THI4F is on the other. It lacks the fun, labyrinth-esque level design of old thief; instead, it has shitty linear levels.
Garrett lacks the anti-hero personality of old thief; instead, his personailty is edgy tryhard bullshit.
THI4F gives the player no credit, and way too many superhuman tools. Old thief games assumes the player is skilled and smart enough to explore and take risks, as well as paying attention to dialog and cues; they also have you play as a human with realistic limitations and strengths - and more importantly, realistic weaknesses.
You're encouraged to sneak in Thief 1/2 not because you're compelled to via a failure state (outside of the two (?) missions where you need to remain undetected), but instead because it's the best option to avoid dying. THI4F and (although it's a good game for different reasons) Dishonored strip away this vulnerability by adding a mixed bag of tricks you can use to kill or maim guards.
And as others have said, old thief games have incredibly detailed worlds that give the sense that the player is in a world that will go on with or without them. Things like correspondence, notices, books, dialogue, etc. all help to build a compelling world that THI4F lacks.
Finally, thief 1/2 have great simulation aspects. Clean and varied movement, tools that interact with the world in realistic and predictable ways, sound that is simulated well, etc.

Basically, THI4F was a mistake.
>>
>>380835401
>you can't hide in the shadows anymore
This has to be bullshit.
>>
No.
I bought Thief 2 for PC in 2004 for 3 dollars at a game store that was closing down. I never played Thief, heard of the series and I bought the game because it was 3 dollars. Needless to say I was blown away, soon after I got Thief 1 and Thief 3, which wasn't as good as the first 2 games, but still good.
Thief 2014 is bad. There is no other words to describe how bad it is because there isn't any need to as it would be a waste of time.
>>
>>380838128
>>380838750
I think it's a mistake to hold Dishonored to the same standard as old Thief because it's not exactly the same kind of game. Stealth is an option in Dishonored, but game itself is more about being a badass executioner and how you go about it is up to you. Fact that you're a killing machine even if you forego supernatural abilities just proves that.
>>
>>380837235
>"first I stole to live, now I live to steal"
Is that an actual line from the game? Because if it is the writers need to get lined up and shot.
>>
>>380838996
I think it's even in the trailer.
>>
>>380838954
That's what I attempted to say with "although it's a good game for different reasons."
I think dishonored is a fun and varied game that mixes its stealth aspects and its badassery well. Most of the tools you're given to dunk on your enemies are fun to use and offer different ways of putting them to use.
I'd compare the stealth to something like farcry - you have all the tools to murder without stealth, but having stealth adds a factor of "how can i fuck people up without raising any alarm" with the addition of "welp i fucked up, lets jam" which are both entertaining game states.
Pure stealth is subsequently boring, as the game lacks any of the compelling arguments or world design elements to encourage entertaining stealth.

Basically, dishonored is fun but isn't a good pure stealth game
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.