[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Time to build your perfect RPG from the ground up. Post what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: homepage-rpg-maker-vx.jpg (58KB, 658x360px) Image search: [Google]
homepage-rpg-maker-vx.jpg
58KB, 658x360px
Time to build your perfect RPG from the ground up. Post what you love to see in rpg's as well as what you hate. Other things like examples or questions are also good.

Do you prefer a silent protag, or one with their own personality and character?
>>
>>380823673
- Alien world or interesting take on existing/underutilised concepts: Albion, Morrowind, Lionheart, Darklands.
- Sense of urgency - time limits on quests in Daggerfall (not global like in Fallout 1 or Star Control 2)
- Solid mechanics for overworld travel - Realms of Arkania, Storm of Zehir
- Other parties compete with you for quests or resources - Wizardry 7
- Magic that feels like magic and not just for damage - Morrowind, Might&Magic
- Consistent world with believable dialogues and social structures - Gothic 1/2
- Either solid turn-based combat (Jagged Alliance 2, UFO: Enemy Unknown) or actiony real-time that has impact and gives the feeling of fighting monsters (Dragon's Dogma) or swordfighting (hopefully, Kingdom Come: Deliverance)
- Should restrain from implementing a crafting system unless the developers are competent and have rich background in gaming, including older RPGs
- Quest design that does not revolve around killing - Ultima IV, investigations (say, Arcanum)
- Writing on the level of at least decent fan-fictiony books - Betrayal at Krondor

That's it for the first part out of 1001, I guess
>>
Silent protagonist if there's customization options, original character if there isn't.
Good writing is a must.
Setting doesn't matter to me so long as it's not done to death.
Must be able to play through by any means. If I want to roll magic the entire time, I should be able to beat it like that. If I want to be a bruiser, I should be able to do that.
Turn based combat as long as it doesn't use a time-meter based battle system.
Good characters with interesting designs that stick out.
>>
>>380825740
>that stick out
Why would you want Codlsteel the Hedgehog and SJW galore in your games? They shouldn't stick out, they should be believable, consistent, and fit the theme.
>>
>>380825921
Not saying that. I just find that when every character looks similar, it bores me.

Think about something like Shining Force. There's knights and centaurs, but also unique class designs like Guntz, Zylo, or Gong has going for them. It's why I prefer it over Fire Emblem in that case.
>>
>>380823673
Things I like:
- Direct-damage spellcasters being viable. A surprising number of RPGs like to make magic more about utility or buffs/debuffs instead of blasting things
- Customization. Let me decide how my gear looks. Either let me fully customize things like you could in Neverwinter Nights, or give me different slots for stats and cosmetics.
- Good writing. This includes interesting and likable characters, an enjoyable plot, and a lot of dialogue options. If doing this means you have to sacrifice voice acting, I'm perfectly fine with that.
- Modding tools that make it easy to customize things and make new quests and stuff, or even entire self-contained modules in your own custom worlds.
- Moddability in general, for things like the UI, or being able to modify the game mechanics themselves.
- A high-magic, high fantasy world, that looks and feels like a place I'd actually like to live in. No grimdark shit or forced "moral ambiguity" (which usually just means "Everyone is a total dick and you will be punished for not being a dick yourself"). You can actually be an idealistic hero and succeed.
- Waifus, especially fantastical ones like dryads or succubi.
- WRPG aesthetic. I like a good JRPG now and then, but my overall preference is for western fantasy style.

My ideal RPG would probably be a lot like Neverwinter Nights 1, but with a different magic system; instead of spell slots, use mana or something.

>Do you prefer a silent protag, or one with their own personality and character?
Neither. I want one that I create myself, and whose personality and character I determine through choices and dialogue options.
>>
>>380826740
I know you mean that in more of a Fallout setting, where you can pick the dialogue choices, but that's basing it off of what the developers choose for you. It's like in Mass Effect, where in the end, Shepard was Shepard. No matter what you chose, that was their character. At least that's how I'm reading your preference.
>>
Goblins.
>>
>>380827280
GOBLINS
>>
>>380827443
G
O
B
L
I
N
S
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57KB, 605x340px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
57KB, 605x340px
>>380827625
>>
File: Oersted.jpg (68KB, 204x451px) Image search: [Google]
Oersted.jpg
68KB, 204x451px
>>380823673
>Do you prefer a silent protag, or one with their own personality and character?
both
>>
>>380827151
>I know you mean that in more of a Fallout setting, where you can pick the dialogue choices, but that's basing it off of what the developers choose for you.
Well, yeah, that's an inherent limitation of the medium of video games. However, that doesn't mean the developers can't give you a lot of things to choose from, especially if they're willing to leave it unvoiced. It's very easy to just add more text, so the devs could put in all the dialogue they can think of without having to use any more resources to implement it.
>>
File: 1492848246827.jpg (88KB, 550x564px) Image search: [Google]
1492848246827.jpg
88KB, 550x564px
>>380827835
>>
>>380827870
More examples of this? I'm curious.
>>
File: RookieTVG01.png (199KB, 350x417px) Image search: [Google]
RookieTVG01.png
199KB, 350x417px
>>380828045
Actually I do know of one, but it's not an rpg character.
>>
>>380828045
Persona 2 does this in both games but not for any particular reason, just because the perspective character being silent is mandatory in Atlus rpgs. From the same series actually Persona 5 gets about halfway there with this idea since the protagonist is more grounded than a usual silent protagonist but remains the perspective character all the way through.
>>
>>380823673
all I care about are systems.
I don't give a shit about the story.
>>
>>380828760
Huh. Maybe I should get into the persona series more than just P4.
>>
>>380829571
p4 is like the worst one
>>
>>380829684
Worse than
>babybabybabybabybabybaby

Add that to the list. I demand a banging battle theme.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.