[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monster Hunter was always supposed to be this way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

File: Monster-Hunter-World.jpg (195KB, 1200x802px) Image search: [Google]
Monster-Hunter-World.jpg
195KB, 1200x802px
http://www.glixel.com/interviews/monster-hunter-world-leads-answer-all-the-big-questions-w488101

I agree with everything in this interview. It's clear from every cutscene all the way back to MH1 that the developers originally intended the MH experience to flesh out the "thrill of the hunt," and to have better stealth elements. I firmly believe that MHW is a good direction for the series. I'm not worried about the quality-of-life improvements, like walking while drinking potions, etc. What I'm worried about is MHW losing its charm and identity in an attempt to cater to a wider audience, and we can not know whether that is the case until the game releases. I have always believed that Monster Hunter would be best with a seamless map, and even though I'm still cautious about the series changing so drastically in a single installment (it is in our nature to bristle to extreme change, after all), I'm still incredibly excited for MHW.

>but muh arcane mechanics like completely stopping to drink my potion made the game difficult!
Difficulty is like the golden rule of algebra. If the ratio between what the character can do to what the opponent/NPC/etc can do is balanced, then the game will still remain challenging. Hunters' animations have been slow and boxy since MH1, but the monsters' animations have also remained equally predictable and boxy. Now that we have seen the ratio turned up to 2:1 for hunters, we have yet to see if the monsters will receive equal treatment to balance the ratio to 2:2. So until the game releases, any condemnation on the quality-of-life improvements to Hunter animations to the difficulty of the game are simply unfounded.
>>
>no new weapons

Literally they could have added the ones they scrapped for 4U

Literally all I want everytime a new MH is realeased. New weapons and monsters.
>>
>>380820340
What a retard excuse.
Zelda was originally meant to have party members and turn based rpg mechanics.
DMC was originally supposed to be a resident evil game.
Halo was originally supposed to be an RTS.

Ideas about what a game "originally" started out as doesn't mean fucking shit because that's not what the product they released actually was. If they want to make an actually hunting game then make some Cabela's monster world hunt spin off or something, but the monster hunter games they've released are basically just co-op boss fights in arenas with some paint and that's what people like. Deviating from that is retarded.
>>
>>380820495
I want LBG to be reworked. It still feels too redundant with the HBG. Rework Blowguns into a single weapon class, and add an entirely different ranged weapon that acts uniquely to both the Bowgun and the Bow.
>>
>>380820340
The monsters have actually gotten smoother and more fluid in their combos and actions as the games have gone on.
>>
Maybe it'll be the breath of fresh air to Monster Hunter that Breath of the Wild was to Zelda.

I'm a Nintendo fag and I'm completely on board. Everybody should have a good PC for these kinds of situations.

>"But, additionally, there are some changes we'll be making to the slightly more arcane aspects of the series. I don't think it hurts to address them. We always need to be ready to evolve."

>"We don't want to discard the series' tremendous legacy, of course."

>"it's more that now that we have a seamless map, for example, it means that it makes more sense for you to be able to drink a potion while you're walking, because you're always going to be closer to the monsters. That's just one example, but all these gameplay changes have flowed from this central "world" concept. But we're not abandoning our veteran hunters."

How could anybody hate on this? Sonybros deserve some love. This was a Playstation legacy before. We've gotten a metric ass-ton of these games, I have no qualms with wherever Monster Hunter goes because I love this game.
>>
>>380820903
This.
>>
>>380821192
>This was a Playstation legacy before

So was Shin Megami Tensei on Nintendo before Nocturne bastardized it to a generic JRPG.
>>
>>380821345
>it's another "SMT4fag falseflags as an oldschool SMT fan" episode
>>
>>380820340
>but muh arcane mechanics like completely stopping to drink my potion made the game difficult!
nono i hope this isnt bait
potion drinking animations are punishments for the player
theyre supposed to make you want to not get hit because it takes so long to regain your health
>>
>>380821345
>it's another SMT hipster shitting on other games episode
>>
>>380820903
This sentiment is nice in theory, but context makes it less applicable. Their original vision was too lofty for the technology available to them, so they settled with an arcade-y boss runner, using mechanics that were more practical that principled. Through familiarity and sheer brand loyalty, you have confused mechanical quirks like arcade-y time limits to the quests, etc. with the team's actual principles. Those mechanics and even game structure were only utilized due to limitations initially (and now complacency currently). It's unfortunate for someone like yourself, but we live in a time of rapid technological change, and your sentiments are merely part of the collateral damage.
>>
File: IMG_1633.jpg (140KB, 600x389px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1633.jpg
140KB, 600x389px
>>380821192
This this this

Every bit of leaked gameplay I see just reaffirms my thought that this is the next evolution for the series and exactly what I've hoped for in a major MH release for years now

scout flies seem slightly silly but it's really no different than paintballs/psychoserum and are likely an optional feature that you can switch off once you become acquainted with monster habits
>>
>>380820340
>Difficulty is like the golden rule of algebra. If the ratio between what the character can do to what the opponent/NPC/etc can do is balanced, then the game will still remain challenging.
do you want to know how i know you suck balls at math

Game balance isn't anything fucking like algebra. Game numbers do not purely exist in relation to each other - they stand on their own. Ratios are NOT the only fucking way to judge a game. You want the fucking "my power to your power ratio" to be 1? That leaves literally an infinity of terrible fucking design options, including "you and the monster both die instantly upon seeing each other", "you and the monster take 100000000 years to kill each other", "you and the monster are both invincible", and "you and the monster can only damage each other during a certain phase of the moon".

Oh boy, everybody! I've thought up the perfect balance for the next Monster Hunter game - you can oneshot the enemies, and the enemies can oneshot you! See, it's balanced because what you can do and what the monster can do are the same!

Fucking idiot.
>>
File: IMG_0760.jpg (107KB, 600x739px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0760.jpg
107KB, 600x739px
>>380822317
>what is a metaphor
>>
>>380820340
For once OP is not a faggot, well done have a you
>>
>>380820340
That's a damn lie. There has been what, over a decade in between this release and the first Monster Hunter game. There isn't any technical reason which held them back to implement this kind controls which kill the original methodical and tactical movement system. There isn't any technical reason why they should dumb down the item system. If they really wanted to do that earlier they could've done that easily at least with since Tri.

But well it's just me. I'm biased. Too bad the game actually looks great, I'm hard for the more paleolithic look etc but everything else...

And looking at how MHX and MHXG (MHXX) were shows CLEARLY that Capcom doesn't have a clue how to run it's biggest franchise. It's really sad honestly.

I don't like to play the same game for the 10th time but there are still things which they shouldn't change.
>>
>>380822168
Not him, but there's also the argument that maybe their original vision is just shit. Their "original vision" sounds an awful lot like a basic open world AAA game. It sounds like the idea that every single fucking game designer wannabee thinks of in 5 minutes. "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING, THE ULTIMATE GAME!"

They managed to take their original, preposterous vision and distill it into a massively fun, massively popular series. That's something to be fucking respected.

Design is not about adding things. It is about knowing which things to keep.
>>
>>380822672
>should dumb down the item system
Oh grow the fuck up

Having to slide across items is objectively worse than an item wheel
>>
>>380822550
>a metaphor
No, the metaphor wasn't the shitty part. The shitty part was the point being illustrated with the metaphor. Ratios aren't the only fucking measure of game balance. 1:1 is different to 2:2 in game design.
>>
>>380822748
>basic open world AAA game
There isnt a single fucking game that comes close to MH, as either its 'traditional' version or MHW

DD/Souls are only similar in combat, but drastically different in overall game style.
>>
>>380822317
Spotted the autist. You have zero subtlety. A good author does not take his story and apply every concept to its logical extreme. Restraint, and yes, balance is key to any execution.
>>
>>380822817
I wasn't talking about that. That's UI issue, not the actual item system. Reducing amount of items to streamline everything is one part which makes the game more dumbed down for Western audiences.

Having a wheel doesn't bother me. Everything else does.
>>
>>380822317
You suck at math
>you and the monster both die instantly upon seeing each other", "you and the monster take 100000000 years to kill each other"
These are two entirely different things with entirely different equations

Making it so you can walk and use an item doesnt change anything if in addition players are still at risk of being hit
>>
>>380822817
Just to add, but maybe, after all we whine here. When the game's released maybe it's great. Maybe the 'g' rank DLC for 20,00$ + additional monster DLCs on top of that are great. There's still hope but... I'm not very optimistic.
>>
You know the great thing about MH being free from handhelds and becoming a major title rather than a niche?

They can patch it. If we get MHW and everyone finds that moving and using items does make the game too easy, they can patch it.

Not to say they will fix everything. But MH is moving in the right direction and a few fuck ups here and there dont destroy the overall improvements we are getting.
>>
>>380823046
>These are two entirely different things with entirely different equations
Yeah, dumbass, that's the point I was making. 1:1 and 2:2 are different things in game design. 0:0 and 10000000000000000:10000000000000000 are different things.

The ratios are the same. Everything else is different. His idea was that the ratio was all that mattered.

Don't fucking start with me about 0:0.
>>
>>380823243
>His idea was that the ratio was all that mattered.
No you dumbfuck it wasnt, his point was that changing the games features around can still be balanced and difficult
>>
>>380822748
holy shit you are dumb
>>
Also the one thing about the leaked gameplay footage is that the guy who's playing is shit. He doesn't even do charge attacks.
>>
>>380821192
>We've gotten a metric ass-ton of these games, I have no qualms with wherever Monster Hunter goes because I love this game.

this this fucking this
>>
>>380823243
You're too boxed into your own perspective. I wasn't talking about literal game design, I was referencing the numbers as abstract points on a scoreboard. If the hunter's ability to move around the field is improved, then improving the monster's ability to punish that extra freedom of movement keeps the game balanced and challenging.
>>
>>380820495
Did they say that the there is 14 weapons in the game or that 14 old weapons are in it?
Because if it's the later, they could announce a new one, no?
>>
>>380822889
>There isnt a single fucking game that comes close to MH, as either its 'traditional' version or MHW
And if that's true, what point does it make?

Do you honestly believe that MHW is exactly the vision that the developers always wanted? Or do you think that, in developing good games, they learned a bunch of lessons along the way?

In developing MHW, they have over a decade of experience to draw on. They have an established IP whose fanbase they have to convince. They have a CEO to appease and shareholders to please. They have their own fucking heads to think with, basic common sense. Of course the game still has all of the great MH trappings. Why on earth would you ever throw that away? That's not the issue.

The issue is that, slowly but surely, they are adding fat to their lean, mean game. Maybe their original design is just MHW, let's assume that's the case. It's still fat. It's lumbering, bloated, unnecessary.

>you haven't seen anything!

I've fucking seen enough. They've shown off more frivolous, stupid shit in a 5-minute trailer than they did in all the past 4 games combined. Maybe it'll still end up being great. But so fucking what? A prize athlete can only eat so many Big Macs before he loses his edge.
>>
>>380823649
They only announced that all 14 old weapons are back, I feel like there's no way we won't get atleast one new weapon.
>>
>>380823353
Yeah? You want to go that route? Then it's a non-fucking-statement. "you can change stuff and still have it be good" are you fucking kidding me with this shit

It's a goddamn truism. It doesn't say anything. Yeah, and if I fucking grow a jet engine out of my back I'll be able to fly. That doesn't mean I actually fucking will.

>>380823628
>>380823628
>If the hunter's ability to move around the field is improved, then improving the monster's ability to punish that extra freedom of movement keeps the game balanced and challenging.
Bayonetta has improved movement and improved monster movement.

It's a different game to Monster Hunter.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

If you increase the pace, then the pace is faster. It doesn't matter that the ratio has stayed the same. If Usain Bolt and Barack Obama start running at 1mph and then speed up to 20mph, then they are doing a different fucking thing. They are no longer jogging, they are sprinting, and it involves different fucking muscles.

Faster MH is a different game. MHW is a different game. And if you keep adding QoL features with the excuse that "we can just make the monsters harder", you do not end up with an MH game any more, but something completely new.

>>380823357
Not a fucking argument.
>>
>>380824331
>Faster MH is a different game.
MH4 had Frenzy Virus, Wall climbing, Monster mounting, town traveling, AND excavated armors. So MH4 is not MH.

MHGen added so much shit from Styles to Hunting Arts. MHGen is not MH.

Quit whining. MHWorlds from what we have seen is much more tame so far when compared to 4U and Gen.
>>
>>380824331
I understand what you're saying, but you're coming from a different perspective when you believe that sequels should not change core mechanics of the game, and rather just release new content relative to DLC expansions. I come from a different perspective. What constitutes a game, a franchise? Is it its world, its characters, its gameplay? And what should a sequel be? What new things should it explore; how should it change from its predecessor? All of these questions have been answered differently by different companies and franchises, and each time has been met with different reception. Perhaps Monster Hunter is better left untouched, or perhaps it's in dire need of an overhaul. Only time will tell which belief will hold wiser than the other, and that is why I am not drawing a conclusion either way until I see for myself.
>>
>>380820495
No, fuck that.

Adding new weapons all the time just leads to shitty bloat with crap like CB and IG
>>
>>380820340
How often have you actually ran around and drank something?
>>
>>380822168
This is george lucas tier.
>>
>>380820340
Art direction blows
Too desaturized
>>
Yeah and Street Fighter wasn't supposed to have combos.
>>
>>380826684
How often have you actually ran around and swung giant sword to kill a dinosaur?

People constantly drink while being on move, ask /sp/ if you don't trust me.
>>
>>380823024
What items are they removing? I didn't see that in the news
>>
>>380827509
Yeah but do they do it at full sprint while being chased?
>>
>>380827630
That looked like light jogging at most.
>>
>>380824331
Man you must really hate Metal Gear.
>>
>>380827630
The monster was literally running away from the player you fucking moron
>>
File: 1492831813966.jpg (22KB, 476x477px) Image search: [Google]
1492831813966.jpg
22KB, 476x477px
>>380827630
>the character literally WALKED while eating the steak and drinking potions
I bet it still won't let you do shit while doing that slow walking, meaning you still can be ran over by a full speed enraged Tigrex.
>>
When will you be able to fuck monsters?

I hope someone mods it in the PC version
>>
>>380826085
>cb
>crap
>not meme axe
>not gunlance
concept of gunlace is awesome but they way they execute here is horrendous
>>
>>380826885
It's not desaturized, it's just you're too accustomed to the pixelated and compressed textures on handheld platforms
>>
>>380829069
shit you're right they don't make you completely invincible in the process

guys anon cracked the case it's all good now
>>
File: Really.jpg (150KB, 600x728px) Image search: [Google]
Really.jpg
150KB, 600x728px
>"Waah! No more flexing! So casual!
>No more safe areas to heal.
>Potions need to be crafted.
>Drinking potions last for FOUR FUCKING SECONDS.
>>
>>380830864
>no more safe areas to heal
are you implying anyone left the area with the monster to heal, you cum guzzling slut
>>
>>380831158
>implying people don't revel in that faggotry
It ain't a perfect world anon.
>>
I think people who spent $350 on a Switch to play a current-gen MH are the ones really mad. Not actual fans.
>>
>>380831343
I'm sure there's outliers, but that's far from regular monster hunter gameplay
>>
What's with the potions?
Can you still buy them or do you need to craft your own everytime?
>>
>>380832380
From what the comments said, you have to craft them, so going around picking up stuff is much more necessary.
>>
>>380832718
I assume it'll be more along the lines of every other MH, where crafting potions is important until a point in the game then they'll just unlock in the store for bulk purchase.
Crafting every potion for the entire game would be needlessly tedious if they're trying to get rid of tedium.
>>
>>380831158
> Risking losing 30% of the quest reward and humiliating yourself in front of 3 other hunters just so you can get back into the action 2 seconds quicker.

Wew.
>>
>>380821454
>>380822158
not an argument
>>
>>380835271
Epic meme
>>
All I know is this is what I've wanted out of Monster Hunter since 3 came out, and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to stop me from buying it.

If it's shit, I'll just drop the series. MH has been stale for way too long and has basically been turned into weeb COD by the lazy hacks at Capcom.

If they can't innovate without fucking it up, then the series is doomed and deserves to die
>>
>looks like you are doing actually hunting
>monsters interact with each other
>actual health bar
>more movement options

I don't play the games but it looks fine too me. Unless some can tell me why niggas is flipping out over this? Or is it one of those can't handle change things?
>>
>>380835969
Most of the Monster Hunter fanbase is extremely autistic and downright retarded.

It's currently the biggest flaw with the series. The fans fucking despise fun.
>>
>>380835969
The autists play the same archaic game for over 10 years.
Devs finally decide to upgrade the game for modern generation and the autists feel raped
>>
>>380835969
>actual health bar

What
>>
>>380831158
>are you implying anyone left the area with the monster to heal, you cum guzzling slut
then what's the complain about seamless map? u fucking nigger.

admit that people don't like it because they fear changes.
>>
>Aiming with the bowguns is now more like a traditional third-person shooter

This shit is going to be easy mode on PC.
>>
>>380836258
I don't know what he meant by this but monsters are confirmed to not have hp bars
>>
>>380837820
>GS deals 100 damage per swing
>HBG deals 5 per shot
>LBG deals 2
>>
>>380838315
>Lbg shoots 6 rounds a second

>Ammo system is exactly the same

Hope you enjoy sucking dicks for berries and fish
>>
>>380836156
>solid base back during ps2 era
>subsequent releases refine with QoL improvements and expand with new locales and monsters
>When missteps were made (water battles) new mechanics replaced them (jumping/vaulting/more dramatically)
>Only recently for the anniversary celebration and it's G-Rank re-release did the series arguably jump the shark, styles were confirmed to remain in the cross titles
>Most of the fun came from diverse monsters where learning patterns and adjusting for maximum success was reinforced by the consequence of each of your actions.

I'm getting world on PS4 but it rubs me the wrong way that a lot of peoples first foray into this solid series is gonna be so strange. Why change what wasn't broken about the series? Change for the sake of change is often pretty shit
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.