[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make games! Where should I start, /v/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: GameMaker-Studio-Logo.jpg (123KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
GameMaker-Studio-Logo.jpg
123KB, 1600x900px
I want to make games!

Where should I start, /v/?
>>
ue4 for 3d

gamemaker for 2d
>>
>>380818781
You should probably start with an idea on what to make.
I know some idea guys who can help you out.
>>
>>380818781
Have you tried on going on 4chan and posting on /v/?

They sometimes have good ideas when it comes to making games there!
>>
File: Wariowarediy.jpg (39KB, 250x225px) Image search: [Google]
Wariowarediy.jpg
39KB, 250x225px
>>380818781
Start with this so you can get the fundamentals down.

Then move on to something similar like Scratch. These applications are safe learning environments for being creative but still helping to understand the fundamentals that go into programming.

From there you can check out game maker studio or godot or some kind of game engine. Learn the scripting language they provide, read the documentation, etc...then just work on implementing your idea.
>>
>>380818781
Get unity. Buy assets. Smash them together. Release for free with ads on google play. See cash flow in your pocket.
or... you are being serious? in that case just get whatever is most comfortable for you and just make something. I went with unity because its just comfy for me, and is well documented.
>>
File: thumbs up.webm (175KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.webm
175KB, 640x360px
just build your own engine
trust me
>>
Start with Scratch, move on to GameMaker: Studio, then decide whether you want to start learning something more complicated like Unity of Unreal Engine.

Remember, don't start out with a brilliant, groundbreaking idea. Just start with extremely simple and easy to program games. Space shooters are incredibly easy with GameMaker.
>>
Not OP, but I had an idea for a Wars game revolving around different 4chan boards.

Would /v/ play it?
>>
File: 1493673934501.png (39KB, 479x591px) Image search: [Google]
1493673934501.png
39KB, 479x591px
>>380818781
Choose between a rope, belt or a tie.
>>
>>380818781
Racing game with real story and anime art
>>
>>380820282
yes
>>
>start watching ue4 tutorials from udemy
>already bored and begin shitposting instead
>>
>>380820873
this!!

what tutorial were you using?
>>
>>380818781
Get yourself Mario Maker. If you can make a level or two interesting enough, then go ahead and learn more about making vidya.
>>
I am using Gamemaker Studio 2 because I'm a 2D pixelshitter. Made a lot of progress on it today actually.

What's /v/'s favorite video game osts to listen to when deving? I went with Windwaker, Crystal Chronicles, and OCRemix's Link's Awakening Album "Threshold of a Dream"
>>
>>380818781
as a programing exercise, try remaking old, simple games you like.

Start with games like space invaders, pacman and such, then move on to more complex games, then start creating your own.
>>
>>380820993
the 'official' epic games-endorsed one
>>
>>380820698
the idea was to have Co's be board tans, with countries being shared attributes.

Example
Vidya land: [campaign starter]
CO's /v/, /vg/, /vr/
Nippon land:
CO's /a/ /c/ /e/ /jp/
Containment island:
CO's /mlp/ /vp/ /qst/ [s4s]
Hero land
CO's /co/ /tv/ /toy/ /tg/
Cancer Land: [Bad guys?]
CO's /b/ /pol/ /r9k/ /trash/
Secret Isle: Real bad guys
CO's /qa/ /vip/ /j/
Final bosses
CO's: /z/, IRC
>>
>>380821543
Each land has different stylized troops than other lands and a land specific ultra weapon and land leaders have custom troop sprites.
Vidya land:
Land leader: /v/, Ultra Weapon: Tactical Console Nuke, essentially a nuke that has a huge radius and destroys units within a certain radius, greatly damaging those in an outer one.

Nippon Land:
Leader: /jp/ Ultra Weapon: Reinforcement Tsunami, all Nippon Land units are copied three times into the battlefield. Meaning if you have 10 Nippon Land units, you now have 30.

Containment Island
Leader: /mlp/ Ultra Weapon: Containment Wall; Units within a large radius have their defenses raised to the maximum for a set amount of turns

Hero land:
Leader: /co/ Ultra Weapon; Superpower; Units within a large radius have their attack raised to the maximum for a set amount of turns

Cancer Land:
Leader: /b/ Ultra Weapon: DDOS Flood; All enemy mechanical units have their gas reduced to 0, every non mechanical unit on team is tripled.

Secret Isle:
Leader: /j/ Ultra Weapon: Ban Wave, Enemy units within a massive radius are removed from the map, this happens for three turns in a pattern.
>>
>>380821543
Pretty newfaggy grouping, and you don't even have the best tan listed.
>>
>>380822384
There are specific CO powers too,
/v/: Rage; All units have their attack doubled, [tripled if against certain CO's]
/vg/: Inflation; Price to buy units greatly reduced
/vr/; Disregard; Units bypass type defensives/offensives for one turn. Meaning a team of 10 Foot soliders can reasonably take on a team of 5 Neo Tanks.

Haven't thought out CO powers for the other boards yet.
>>
>>380822619
I wanted to keep it limited to 23, and increase it to be site wide with the sequel.
>>
Make a wave-survival boxhead clone.
Its fun to play as you make it, can be very simple or very complex depending how far you wanna take it, and includes some pathfinding and basic AI.
>>
>>380819574
I'd say skip the first 2 steps and go straight to gamemaker
>>
>>380821156
>pixelshitter
you mean superior dev
>>
learn C++

It's not nearly as hard as people make it out to be. At a glance, if you don't have any object-oriented programming experience, then it can seem especially daunting, but with all the resources out there now (free classes, etc) it's incredibly easy to pick up. When you become adept to it, you can make shit that gamemaker wouldn't be able to hold a candle to.
>>
File: 1497372888756.png (316KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
1497372888756.png
316KB, 600x401px
>want to remake a Spongebob flash game in Gamemaker Studio
>discover that Gamemaker 1's been pulled from Steam
>Gamemaker 2 is in its place for $99
Fucking kikes. Should I bother with GMS2, attempt to get GMS1 again, or move on to a different 2D engine?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.