[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the FUCK is the problem with QTEs? I don't mind them at all.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 13

File: leonre4qte.jpg (43KB, 800x404px) Image search: [Google]
leonre4qte.jpg
43KB, 800x404px
What the FUCK is the problem with QTEs?
I don't mind them at all.
>>
They take away control, button mashing takes no skill.
>>
>>380726141
A video game is not supposed to be a movie. QTE do not belong in a video game.
>>
>>380726141
The knife fight with Krauser was an excellent use of a QTE, so I don't understand why it used shitty "mash da button" ones all over the rest of the game.
>>
>People bitch about QTEs
>Forget that when you boil it down video games are nothing more than a series of button presses anyway
>>
The only things that has less gameplay than a QTE is "MASH X TO ____!!!!"

It's less what their problem is, and rather why you'd use them at all.
>>
>>380726208

>QTE do not belong in a video game.

>'a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a monitor or other display.'
>>
>>380726530
No anon, the issue is that they're not very engaging gameplay options
>>
>>380726141
In RE4 they were too fucking sudden
>>
>>380726652
That's your opinion
>>
>>380726691
It's a safe bet the champions of peril-based-DDR are the minority
>>
>>380726530
the problem is they're full presses and QTEs often call for a half press
>>
File: icon-original.png (28KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
icon-original.png
28KB, 540x540px
>>380726141
>What the FUCK is the problem with QTEs?
they're for the millennial generation and allow lazy cunt devs to produce games that more B-movies than actual games
>>
>something cool is happening on screen
>cant pay attention to it because waiting for qte
now im mad
>>
Funny, when RE4 was first released on a Nintendo system everybody loved the QTEs, then when it was ported to other consoles suddenly everybody hated the idea of QTEs
>>
>>380726691
Yeah? You have a lot of fun with them?
>>
>>380726907
How else do you have an over the top ending to a boss fight? The most unsatisfying part of dark souls for me was having the boss go from being fresh looking to a puff of smoke.
>>
>>380726141
>controllers are absolute trash when it comes to moving, aming and performing another action at the same time
>solve it by boiling it all down to a single timed button press

It's a lazy solution to a much bigger problem.
>>
>>380726141
they're not a problem in some games. in others, they can piss right off
>>
>>380726907
Are you really suggesting it's easier to produce a movie-like cinematic game than a normal game? I'd say it was the complete opposite.
>>
>>380726141
Of course you dont. They were made for people like you.
>>
>>380726141
>I don't mind them at all.
That's because you're a child. You're too young to remember a time where games didn't have shit like QTEs.
>>
>>380726176
You're right, button mashing doesn't.

However timing button presses to prompts, bit more skillfull.
>>
>>380727095
You have an over the top boss by having a toug boss to beat, forcing you to use whatever skills and equipment you've been using up until that point as a kind of exam of gameplay mechanics.
>>
i hated uncharted 4 qtes so damn much but I didn't mind the first 3 games. I don't get it. Didn't even bother to finish 4 because of it.
>>
>>380727175
I'd say it's easier to make several cinematic cutscenes and string them together with buttons, yes. That's the modern equivalent of those live action videogames from 1987-1992
>>
>>380726141
only people with slow reflexes complain
and it would totally stop them from getting any further in the game
but eh, too slow for games, too slow for life
>>
Realistically though how could you replace QTEs? What's the difference in pressing X to climb or pressing the left analog stick up to climb? Is holding down the analog stick to run really so much better than mashing square to run?
>>
>>380726141
qte's are okay. it's good for mixing up the pace. the actual problem is when devs become lazy and just keep using it too much. game becomes more qte than actual gameplay. might as well just watch the story on youtube.
>>
>>380726141
obviously the problem is that they're very different from the game's actual gameplay. i'm not very good at mashing buttons but i'm very good at RE4. so it's disappointing that my no-death runs have been ruined so many times by these ridiculous mario party minigames.
>>
File: 4357347.jpg (6KB, 210x230px) Image search: [Google]
4357347.jpg
6KB, 210x230px
who started this QTE meme?
>>
File: r53tnwbxsunaunp7ilnf[1].jpg (111KB, 727x657px) Image search: [Google]
r53tnwbxsunaunp7ilnf[1].jpg
111KB, 727x657px
>>380727632
People say Shenmue but I've seen QTEs on fucking nes so who knows
>>
>>380727632
was it Shenmue?
>>
>>380726176
>Implying you can make all the moves in most qte with average controls
QTEs arent that bad id rather play them than watch a movie like in mgs3 when naked snake meets ocelot for the first time i would like to do QTEs than watch that cutscene
>>
>>380726141
My assumption has always been because it kind of became overdone in the 2000s, and it got to the point where you just put it in to be lazy as fuck.
>>
Surprise QTEs annoy me, when you've just finished a section of a game and put the controller down to relax during a cutscene only for one to show, frustrating
>>
>>380727632
>>
>>380727632
dragon's lair, probably
>>
>>380727479
QTEs are more than just "press button to do thing." They're "press AND ONLY PRESS THIS SPECIFIC button to do thing AND ONLY THIS SPECIFIC THING." When you're running and climbing normally, you can start and stop at your leisure. Sometimes there might be something chasing you or ahead of you that might make stopping or continuing less than advisable, but these are natural permutations upon the base systems. You are interacting with a world in a way that isn't just a simple "succeed/fail" set up.

QTEs can involve a large amount of cinematic and complicated actions that the basic system is not prepared to handle well with direct player input. And these are not always a bad choice to do. But there's never anything funamentally impossible about designing a system to allow the QTE scene to be implemented in a more standard gameplay loop. It's just harder.
>>
>>380726141
Bullshit "cinematic" gaming at its worst.
>>
>>380727946
How is that any different from 'push button' that every game has
>>
>>380727993
But when you perform the action to climb the results are exactly the same, you climb
>>
>>380727941
Literally happened to me today in re4
>>
>>380726141

I don't mind QTEs that basically just send you to the next phase of a boss fight or whatnot because the way the devs want to do it does not work well in regular gameplay. People need to chill.
>>
>>380726530
Oh shit anon you truly enlightened me. So let's make a game where you press only one button and win the game. It will be the greatest game ever.
>>
>>380727095
If you want to watch dramatic over the top death animations go watch a shitty super hero movie, don't play a game.

Oh wait, you already do.
>>
>>380726141
Just stupid. Its not fun and does not add anything to the game.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 677x813px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 677x813px
>>380728301
/thread
>>
>>380727175
>Are you really suggesting it's easier to produce a movie-like cinematic game than a normal game?

I don't know which one is easier or harder to produce, I'm not a dev, and frankly I don't care. The point is, that kind of games both suck at being a movie and being a game at the same time, resulting in an immense achivement in failure. That is why they are usually sjw crap, otherwise no one would "play" them.
>>
File: Badasspic6[1].jpg (264KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Badasspic6[1].jpg
264KB, 1280x720px
>>380726141
Without QTEs we would never have got this golden moment
>>
It sounds like the majority of /v/ doesn't find QTE's very fun, and considers them lazy. That would the fuck be the problem with QTE's, >>380726141
>>
>>380727478
>only people with slow reflexes complain

please be bait
>>
>>380728551
This is the world's only acceptable QTE

>you will never relive the moment of seeing "Hook" for the first time, and pressing it to see him actually punch it, the absolute madman
>>
>/v/ defends QTEs

This place is dead.
>>
>>380728692
Come on anon what about >>380728551
>>
>>380728551
Video games are truly art
>>
It depends on how they are done and how generous the game is with the timing.

RE4 I thought used QTEs in a decent way to convey action in areas that you normally would not be able to control. On top of that, it felt like the actual QTE's actually lined up with what you were doing.

Problem is, action games nowadays throw them in just as something to do during cut-scenes and it feels like they rarely have any connection to what you are doing outside "Press X not to die". It also annoys me when games have a QTE segment that has a short window to press the button and kills you outright and sends you back to the beginning of what you were doing or boss (Yakuza 2 has a rather nasty one with its final boss that was cheap as fuck and makes you do the entire fight over if you miss it. That sort of shit annoys me).

It really just depends on the game and how it is done. I will say that way too many games abuse it and it has become more annoying then fun to play.

I am worried as fuck about the new Spider-Man game using that shit during cutscenes. It reminded me a bit too much of RE6.
>>
QTEs are literally "we wish we could make a game where you could do this cool shit, but we can't, so press buttons during this cutscene instead"
>>
File: U4 final boss.webm (3MB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
U4 final boss.webm
3MB, 768x432px
is this a QTE?
>>
File: 200% NOT WANT.jpg (22KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
200% NOT WANT.jpg
22KB, 351x351px
>>380726141
This:

-Press jump to crouch
-Press reload to punch
-Press knife and aim to dodge left
-Press activate and run to dodge right
-Mash activate to run forward
-Mash left and right one after another to climb up
-Randomize all of the above
-Never use the actual key in context, for example "Press forward to run forward"

That there is your fucking problem. The real world equivalent of QTEs is a disease like cerebral palsy, except it comes in episodes. Suddenly your muscles don't correspond to their normal nerve impulses and you need to struggle to achieve an action that should come naturally.
>>
>>380726141

>PRESS X TO UNPAUSE THE MOVI- I MEAN GAME
>>
>>380726141
QTEs exist to show the character doing something really cool, but generally too complex to implement with the mechanics in place. So their solution is to take away control of the player and turn it into fucking Dragon's Lair. The problem is, if it was a good game WE could be doing those things we see the character doing on screen. Its immensely patronizing and feels like the developers are straight up giving the player the middle finger and calling us retarded. Its like when you play a shooting game, then there is a cutscene where something could of been avoided had the player been in control and shot the gun instead.
>>
>>380726208
Name one (1) movie with QTEs
>>
File: 1445722183259.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1445722183259.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>380726141

They cost me a hug with Da Vinci
>>
>>380729064
Invisible QTE/on-rails fight, at least that's what it seems like to me judging from this webm. Doesn't seem like there's much freedom of choice during this scene
>>
>>380727632

QTEs as just an occasional "Press button now!" have existed since the NES.

QTEs as "lets replace gameplay with a QTE filled cutscene" can be thanks on the most overrated trash of all time, Shenmue.
>>
>>380726141
>play game
>screen goes dark
>"ah it's time for a cutscene"
>put controller down to avoid accidentally hitting a button, skipping the cutscene
>one minute later
>a B button appears on the screen
>not paying attention
>just as I see the B button and reach for the controller, my character dies and its game over
>lose 30 minutes of progress
>>
>>380729269
Final Fantasy XV
>>
>>380728759
One good moment doesn't redeem a mecanic in the entire context of video games. If QTEs were utilized well no one would be complained anyway.

But out of all that shit, only %5 percent of QTEs actually add something to the game. During the rest you just sit through and watch endless moments of motion captured animations play before you after you pressed "X".

I truly believe QTEs and cinematic gameplay are the pinacle mechanic and medium for manchildren who internally can't come to terms with playing video games at an old age, so a shitty hollywood movie wanna be game make them feel they are actually entertaining themselves with something with cliche and "mature" themes. But in the end they are just pressing "X" to win.
>>
>>380729064
I cant tell because I havent played this game, but if it is a QTE I would offer a better example of a 1v1 final boss sword fight that is totally driven by the player and has one tasteful QTE that feels earned after a mechanically driven duel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfD62WrNB-U
>>
beyond two souls killed qte
>please imput complex left and right analog swings just to duck under wooden board
jesus fucking crist
>>
>>380729064
No, it's not really. You can play that fight a number of ways. You can keep dodging until his combo ends and go in for the counter-attack or you can play aggressive and make him block you and eventually, you can break his guard.
I'd say it's closer to 'rock paper scissors' than a QTE.
>>
>>380729414
you have movement control, and you can strike at him, parry hits coming from the left, and parry hits coming from the right. You can do things like clash swords and flip positions with him if you parry him with your back to the wall, and you can push him against the wall to get a hit in if you attack him while he has his back to a wall.

You are forced to be locked on to him though, as there is no way out of the room and he is trying to kill you
>>
>>380729430
This is why I think that if you are going to do QTE, make the border of the screen change to reflect that "this is an on-rails cutscene that requires input".

A few games have done it before like FFXIII-2:
https://youtu.be/h79PERMyn64?t=585
9m44s if embed fails.
>>
>>380730070
I don't even know why they included QTE in that game, 99.99% of them didn't matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9JxTlKm2KU
>>
>"Today I'm gonna do a no death professional run"
>die to first boulder
One day I'll git gud.
>>
>>380726141
x
>>
>>380728692
You aren't much better when you're defending "instead of defeating an enemy myself i'll let the cutscene do it"
>>
>>380732206
You've earned a trophy!
>>
>>380726141
Because they represent a developers inability to figure out how to meld gameplay into what they consider a cinematic moment.

Games like DOOM chainsaw, Ninpo in Ninja Gaiden, and Torture attacks in Bayonetta are inherent mechanics that offer the player a breather or reward them for doing well and thus enabling them to manage harder enemies for a brief moment. QTES like those shown in the spiderman e3 trailer aren't mechanics, they're just taking away player agency and filling it in with a simple button prompt. Its pretty much a simon says visual novel at that point because none of the movement or fighting mechanics affect this moment. It's just an on-rails cutscene.
>>
>>380732960
x
>>
>>380733514
>Platinum trophy unlocked
>>
File: Chandelier Ride.webm (3MB, 1002x720px) Image search: [Google]
Chandelier Ride.webm
3MB, 1002x720px
I think it's one of the worst of /v/'s hivemind memes. ThoughI think QTEs can definitely be done wrong, but they aren't inherently bad.
>>
Reading this thread really makes me sad. So many people defending QTEs, or even defending them. I know you all must be console kids, or trolling, but still, the fact is that gamestudios design games for consoles nowadays, pc versions are just ports. When the majority of consumers become this apologetic, and even defensive of dev's inability to create proper gameplay, you know the industry is dying. Gone are the days of skill, this is the era of cinematic "experiences" and perks. I was thinking about buying a new game PC, mostly because it's been 5 years and that's approximately when i used to update my rig. But I realized something, there are literally 0 games I'm looking forward to. And worse, I can't remember the last time I was actually excited for a game. People love to talk about how great Doom was, and though it wasn't as bad as is usual these days, I was not impressed either. The fact that a game like that is praised by pretty much everyone says enough. I need a new hobby, this one has been ruined by console kids.
>>
>>380734009
I hope this is bait.
>>
>>380733915
Yes they are. If you could do that webm with gameplay and skill then it would be impressive, that is meaningless.
>>
>>380726447

You think?. I hated that fight. A better QTE was running away from the boulders.
>>
>>380734145
No they aren't. Why would it be meaningless? It's a cool interaction in battle. That QTE is a chance for you to reveal the boss (with it being invisible during the battle) and the final attack is something that is triggered near the boss's death but doesn't always happen.
>>
>>380729269
anything made by naughty dog
>>
>>380734340
and it would be even cooler if it had a skill ceiling or any actual interaction beyond a button prompt.
>>
>>380726141

Its not the qtes, its how htey are presented.
To stay at your example, in earlier resident evils, you didnt have a camera change nor any button prompts. You mashed the shit out of the square button, still staying completely in control making the qtes situational. In later resident evils, the control is taken away from you and the qtes themselves are highly scripted so there is no way you are going to be "scared" twice by the same qte since your attention is on the single qte instead of the situation (for example being surronded by other zombies while trying to escape via qte). After replaying re2 I now understand how tasteless and discgraceful later resident evil games really are (except revelation)
>>
>>380726141
when they're not unexpected and jammed everywhere they work
>>
Remember in RE4 during boss fight with Verdugo he would sometimes pop his xenomorph tail and try to hit you and QTE pops to avoid it? Wouldn't it be more fun if you just had a crouch/dash buttons and had to react to it yourself?
Thats the problem with QTEs, they replace potentially interesting mechanics with "press X to Y"
>>
File: Rob Counter.webm (995KB, 1002x720px) Image search: [Google]
Rob Counter.webm
995KB, 1002x720px
>>380734525
You're retarded. What difference would it make if you could 'actually' do that in gameplay? What would you have them do? Give you a super high jump for a limited time and make you rotate the analog stick over and over to simulate riding the chandelier? Do you honestly have any idea how fucking dumb this argument is? The reaction commands in KH2 are especially great because they trigger specific opportunities in battle that you wouldn't be able to transition into normal gameplay. You're still doing the entire battle yourself. Does it really bother you so much to see that kind of action for 3 seconds?
>>
>>380734864
Well first off, no it doesn't because Kingdom Hearts is a fucking stupid series I dont give a shit about. But yes if something is so cool it cant be done in game mechanics and control has to be taken away to show it, then there's something wrong with the game mechanics and a disconnect between story and gameplay. Keeping it short and sweet as you're displaying is fine but I still feel the same way overall. Maybe theres better movement mechanics from the start that allow such a movement, you're thinking very limitedly.
>>
>>380734727
Because as we saw 6 years later having a dodge button certainly didn't made the game easier, eh.

>>380735094
So what good games there are that do that?
>>
>>380735191
What games have interesting movement mechanics? I was initially puzzled by this question but I can see how a fan of kingdom hearts would ask it. Super Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Hover Revolt of Gamers, Transformers Devastation, Sonic Generations, these games have mechanics that when mastered make natural "cinematic" moments that are achieved by the player doing something cool looking with the tools the game gives them. Not a random "PRESS THIS BUTTON FOR COOL SHIT" prompt.
>>
>>380734114
I wish it was.
>>
I actually want to do the cool thing, not press a button and watch it happen.
>>
>>380726141
This is THE summer post
>>
>>380735094
I never asked for your shitty opinion on the series. I was asking generally, why would it bother you if QTEs are shown to be a an actual game mechanic for opportunities in battle, transitions between boss battles, or something very simple such as moving a box? That wouldn't disconnect you from the gameplay you fucking retard, especially when they
enter in the middle of real-time action like I've been showing. It would be a complete waste of time to recreate QTEs into your wishful thoughts on them. QTEs in games feature them as a necessary evil to implement complex maneuvers in games. I'm not thinking limitedly, that's you. What are your options, motion controls? Complex controller sequences? Stop being fucking retarded.
>>
>>380735712
>Sonic Generations
>final boss is defeated in a cutscene
>Transformed Devastation
>Megatron is defeated with a QTE and the following cutscene has the game taking control instead of letting the player end the crystal
Huh-uh.
>>
>>380736256
>Megatron is defeated with a QTE after fighting him 5 times, each time adding a new layer of difficulty and straight up beating the shit out of each other
Sonic Generations has an awful last level, boss, and story I dont care to admit that.

>>380736191
Since you keep bringing up Kingdom Hearts, the specific implementation in that game, and asked my thoughts on it, im not going to lie and say I played it, numbskull. Its not a necessary evil, if you take tomb raider for example what was once (on the PS1) done through skilled platforming is turned into a QTE in the new reboot because its easier and they dont want to rely on actual game mechanics. I get it, they are well implemented in this game you seem to like a lot, that doesn't mean its representative of all games that use QTEs or even the majority of them. If your point was to get me to admit that their implementation in the context you're presenting is fine, then mission accomplished. Still hate QTEs.
>>
>>380736657
>after fighting him 5 times, each time adding a new layer of difficulty and straight up beating the shit out of each other
Ok. Why can't i finish it off myself? Why does the game have to take control from me?
>>
>>380736798
I dont know, good question, ask the devs?
>>
>>380736657
I already never said all QTEs were good. In certain games such as Tomb Raider like you mentioned there are really lazily implemented QTEs that come out of nowhere in cutscenes that are there for no reason and are just annoying to deal with. But in games like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, and even God of War where QTEs have to be triggered and transition from the gameplay itself aren't bad. That was my whole point.
>>
File: By Despop.jpg (269KB, 937x663px) Image search: [Google]
By Despop.jpg
269KB, 937x663px
>>380737196
Well if everyone took inspiration from talented developers not trying to have the broadest appeal possible, that would be ideal. I will post a cute picture as an apology for being rude.
>>
Any game with a parry system is a glorified QTE.
>>
>>380726652
Play the Wonderful 101 I thought they were engaging in that.
I agree that they can be bad (Bayo, Resi5/6) but in most cases they are just there.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.