[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Final Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

I want to play a Final Fantasy game, and ones I have available are VII, VIII, IX and X.

Short pros and cons for each and which one is the least tedious in year 2017? Which has the least random encounters?
>>
>>380722957
I'd personally suggest VII or X based on what you're saying. My personal favorites are VII and IX but getting into IX is especially hard, it takes a while to get going and the battles are extremely slow. VII and X are the fastest in terms of gameplay and they both have solid story and characters.

If you have the steam version of IX though you can turn off random encounters and drastically speed up the battles and overall pace of the game.
>>
>>380722957
They're all bad. Play I (PSP), 3 (DS), 4 (SNES), 6 (SNES), 12 or 14. All the best out of the series
>>
>>380723339
>3
>good

that being said each generation's final fantasy is at least generally better than the equivalent dragon quest, those are the real "people only like these as a meme" rpgs, at least until 8.
>>
>>380723190
>turn off the IX random encounters

how does leveling up work then? does the game compensate somehow for it?
is the steam port decent?
>>
>>380723787
Steam port is great. Game doesn't naturally compensate for it, but in general, 3d final fantasy games are fairly easy and not much grinding is ever really needed, if you fight every random encounter you'll find yourself breezing through the endgame content(usually). So you can keep the random encounters on but just toggle them off if you are getting sick of it or feel like you're a high enough level, there are also 'cheats' in the steam port to level yourself up, master your abilities or give yourself a shitload of gil(ingame currency).
>>
File: 61[1].jpg (39KB, 445x469px) Image search: [Google]
61[1].jpg
39KB, 445x469px
>>380725454
Alright thanks for spoonfeeding anon. I did play FFIX and got roughly 10 hours into it and then my POPStarter save file got corrupted. I enjoyed how comfy it was after I got out of the initial half hour long prologue.

I wish I was normal and could get into random encounters like everyone else but its just mind numbingly tedious to me and I don't understand how doesnt anyone else mind that shit
>>
>>380722957
You can't go wrong with any of those, but VIII is very different from the traditional FF, so bear that in mind when you start playing it.
>>380723339
4 and 12 are the worst of the bunch though. One has the worst story and characters of the entire series and the other has gameplay that plays itself.
>>
>>380722957
I don't understand people that buy(or emulate) game and then ask what should they play.

Just play the fucking game and shut up.
>>
File: 1491632634823.jpg (32KB, 599x510px) Image search: [Google]
1491632634823.jpg
32KB, 599x510px
>>380727138
Nigger these are all 50+ hour long games, I don't have time to play all 3 of these until the end of this fucking year, not everyone is a worthless neet piece of shit with 12 hours a day for vidya

Nobody is forcing you to contribute to the thread, go be autistic somewhere else
>>
File: 1496947959154.png (416KB, 600x639px) Image search: [Google]
1496947959154.png
416KB, 600x639px
>>380723339
>3
>>
>>380722957
You have to accept that nostalgia is strong in the community (these are people who claim FF6, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound to be be-all and end-all RPGs, think about that). I played all main FFs for the first time in the past two years, let me offer some less biased perspective:

FF7 - excellent soundtrack, worldbuilding/atmosphere, and pacing; plot and characters are retarded as usual; the materia system offers nice customization options.

FF8 - great soundtrack, pacing is good but might drag out a bit at the end, plot and characters are staple FFs (as in, beyond retarded), has overall a more cheerful tone than FF7, customization (and grind potential) might be even better than FF7 with the draw system. And it has fucking Triple Triad!

FF9 - has a more classic tone (bordering on fairy-tale), characters are less developed than in FF7/8 but are pretty good, plot is generic although it fits the theme. Customization is on par with FF7 (that is, offers some choices but mostly illusory).

FF10 - sphere grid for some nice customization, best graphics if it matters, the plot is ok but you'd better not think about it too much. Lovely game especially if you are into minigames.

Re;Random encounters: FF7 has Enemy-Away materia (but you have to ride some motherfucking chocobos), FF8 has a very accessible Enc-Half and Enc-None (Diablos GF), there is a no_encounters armor ability in FF10 and I am pretty sure in the Steam version you can turn encounters off in FF9.

tldr: FFs (at least these 4) each offer something unique, you might start each one and see which appeals the most, or watch some non-spoilery Youtube LPs.

Definitely don't listen to this anon >>380723339. FF1 is just primitive (but can be fun if you are into grinding), FF3 is more redeemable as it offers a job system but is also grindy, FF4&6 are overrated (but fun), 12 is indeed overloooked. 14 is a (solid) WoW-clone.
>>
>>380727381
>FF3 is more redeemable as it offers a job system but is also grindy

Not really since FF5 did the same thing but much better.
>>
>>380727381
I'll bite. What's wrong with FFX's plot?
>>
>>380727602
l2comprehend, anon; this was stated in comparison to FF1 (you do see that "more", right). FF3 also got better with the remake (but I concur that FF5 offers more interesting party-building).
>>
>>380727676
Poorly written and conceived, convoluted, overly melodramatic, redundant in some areas. Pretty much the same as every other FF story.
>>
>>380727676
Not that guy, FFX's plot is the least of its problems.
FFX suffers from some of the worst VA ever, to the point where the MC VA had to go full damage control on youtube regarding it. What could be a very interesting ethereal plot comes up short.

There is no world map meaning that if you want to explore into another direction, or fuck around in post-endgame content, you need to suffer through shitton of random encounters until you get there.

Cutscenes get too long without having style or substance to back them up. Literally long for the sake of being long

Party is retarded and they literally do not matter.

It does have the best and smoothest combat in the series.
>>
>>380727676
Well, I just meant that you shouldn't overanalyze it, as it may lose the charm effect; there are no glaring plotholes per se, but some decisions look retarded in the grand scheme of things (and I might be a bit jaded after playing X-2).
>>
>>380723489
>>380727272

3 is the best "classic" final fantasy and the job system is top notch.
>>380727381
FF6 is far from overrated. I think you're thinking of 7. 6 is the most kino entry in the entire series
>>
>>380729629

>3 is the best "classic" final fantasy and the job system is top notch.
See
>>380727602
>>
File: straightened-sphere-grid.jpg (1MB, 7054x2166px) Image search: [Google]
straightened-sphere-grid.jpg
1MB, 7054x2166px
>>380727381
>FF10 - sphere grid for some nice customization
FF10 was when the series went terminal cancer
>>
>>380722957
1-6 are Final Fantasy. Everything from 7 onward is different.

Play FF5.
>>
>>380730908
>1-6 are Final Fantasy. Everything from 7 onward is different.
This. Need to bring back airships and explorable overworld maps
>>
>>380730883
The image is retarded since the most interesting thing is denoted by a thin dotted line which nobody even looks at when presented that way. This is basically the "framing" logical fallacy.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.