[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will their ever be another video game crash?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: 51vlg4nD51L.jpg (36KB, 363x500px) Image search: [Google]
51vlg4nD51L.jpg
36KB, 363x500px
Will their ever be another video game crash?
>>
There has to be. AAA budgets are so fucking bloated it seems like they almost always fail to break even. It can't go on.
>>
It's a multi million dollar industry now with billions of consumers.

No, their won't.
>>
>>380696982
Are you sure?
>>
>>380696953
This, desu. It could take a long while, but the first "bomb" will do real, lasting damage. Imagine a game like CoD failing both critically and commercially. It will happen one day, especially as companies are fighting to see who can be most derivative.
>>
>>380697265
Pretty damn sure. There won't be a crash until development costs exceed the amount of people willing to spend money on videogames for a reasonable price.

I'll tell you this much though, the indie game market is becoming more and more bloated by each passing day. You for sure will see a gradual decline in that part of the industry within the next ten years. Not a crash, but definitely gradual.
>>
>>380697516
Damn
>>
File: RTR2PQJS.jpg (3MB, 3200x2030px) Image search: [Google]
RTR2PQJS.jpg
3MB, 3200x2030px
>>380696982
This.
Normies would have to pull out of the PC/Console space entirely and all remaining fads (mobile/VR) would have to simultaneously fail.

The former is almost impossible. They are making AAA games specifically to sell $60 movies under the same principles that sustained the movie industry for a century.

The only possibility for a game crash will also be an entertainment crash, when economic conditions are so bad, people can't afford vidya, cable, and potentially internet anymore. And by that point you'll wish you weren't alive to see the outcome.
>>
Yeah, in two weeks
>>
>>380696982
gabe newel is richer than trump
>>
Doubtful. AAA games are in Hollywood territory; people will fund the industry regardless of quality. There will be ups and downs, but no crashes.
>>
>>380698390
kek
>>
>>380696862
What's E.T short for?
>>
File: 1486533139618.gif (1MB, 498x320px) Image search: [Google]
1486533139618.gif
1MB, 498x320px
>>380698616
Cause he's got little legs!
>>
>>380698183
>>380697516
Not sure if I can agree with that. Game development has gotten a lot smaller as we've seen a lot of A and AA developers either get eaten or die. Its basically AAA and indie now, and AAA seems to be getting increasingly volatile. As I said previously one big franchise coming in with a big bomb could blow an entire company up. Think about Activision releasing CODWWII with shareholders expecting 20million in sales, then it sells 2 million due to consumer fatigue. Unlikely this go around but increasingly more likely as time goes on.

Japan is adjusting, well, some anyways. I think Capcom got the message when RE6 sold pretty well but still didn't hit their outlandish goal. Western devs haven't gotten a wake up call yet.
>>
>>380698748
fuck you, anon.
i feel like an idiot for laughing at this.
>>
>>380698942
>Game development has gotten a lot smaller as we've seen a lot of A and AA developers either get eaten or die.
Just like smaller movie studios.

>AAA seems to be getting increasingly volatile.
I'm not sure what this means? There's record profits across the board. CoD had one of its weakest years for Growth and Activision proper still out-clipped Blizzard revenues for Q1 2017 by a fucking mile.

>Western devs haven't gotten a wake up call yet.
Western dev sucks because it lacks the work ethic of Japan and the creative control of other foreign countries. Work culture is a big ship to turn, and given the capitalist-focus of the AAA economy, don't expect that to change.

The future of fun is some fringe Japan, Foreign, and indie titles. Expect everything else to stay shitty but selling.
>>
File: heh.jpg (5KB, 229x238px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
5KB, 229x238px
>>380698748
>>
>>380698942
A single flop won't sink the big publishers. The crash was brought in part by a glut of shovelware that flooded the market. Crash isn't going to happen.
>>
who knows man

who really gives a fuck
>>
>1983
>General public considers video games a fad

>2017
>Video games are cultural pastime

The answer is no.
>>
>>380699812
What do you count as a big publisher? Gearbox doesn't seem to be doing well
>>
>>380696982
"who doesn't pay their mortgage?"
>>
>>380696862
when smartphone can run actual games
>>
>>380699812
I don't know my dude. Ubisoft was recently under siege from Vivendi which would have been fucking horrible if history show us anything, and it was due to a series of failed games and franchise fatigue that got them to that weakened spot.

>>380699607
What I meant is franchise fatigue more or less. Assassin's creed, CoD, etc have become rote and boring even to normie plebs. They just haven't had a steep decline, only steady and for CoD WWII will probably show an upward trend again. That said, people get bored of things and WWII is a fresh coat of paint on an old beater. They can only get away with it so many times.
>>
>>380698748
heh
>>
>>380700515
Ubi has nothing but garbage the last several years, and please spare me the siege argument. Let them die
>>
The market is too diversified and established to have a truly catastrophic crash. Maybe there will be an economic depression in the west, but there are still millions of gamers in Asia and Latin America and Australia. Etc.
>>
are there video games in the eternal darkness after death
>>
>>380696862
considering the first one is a myth, no
the "video game crash" is a fiction describing how atari's console division drowned in its own filth, absent of any real competition, and perhaps because of that absence
the arcades continued, the PC market continued, and the NES arrived shortly thereafter and sold as if nothing happened
no amount of wishful millennial shitters are ever going to make their self-important opinions relevant
>>
>>380700698
What about about Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Far Cry 5, and Skull & Bones?
>>
>>380696862
I sure hope so. This fucking industry needs to crash and burn and then being resurrected from it's ashes 2~3 years later without all this AAA hollywood ""interactive"" CGI B-movies.

Fuck the modern videogame industry, fuck the seventh and eighth generations.
>>
No, games are still selling well.

Also it's very cheap to make and distribute a game today thanks to digital distribution and many engines being available.
>>
>>380696862
why would there be a video game crash? do you understand how what you are asking is absurd?

>hey guys, will pharmaceuticals crash
>will construction equipment crash
>will food crash

that's what you sound like
>>
>>380697516
agreed
>>
>>380698507
Is this true?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.