[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post ANTI-cinematic games. Meaning games that are not ashamed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11

File: god hand.jpg (295KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
god hand.jpg
295KB, 640x448px
Post ANTI-cinematic games.

Meaning games that are not ashamed to be ''videogamey''.
After the start screen you select play and you fucking play the game (one skipable cutscene is allowed).

I'm tired of watchig movies, scripted cinematic sequences, walking simulators, QTE's, endless unskipable tutorials...
>>
File: doom.png (41KB, 640x401px) Image search: [Google]
doom.png
41KB, 640x401px
Those were good times, better times...
>>
File: super meat boy.png (310KB, 1152x770px) Image search: [Google]
super meat boy.png
310KB, 1152x770px
>>
File: Noby-Noby-Boy-2.png (342KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Noby-Noby-Boy-2.png
342KB, 1024x576px
>>
File: demonsouls_01.jpg (178KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
demonsouls_01.jpg
178KB, 720x405px
I love when games drop you so hard into their world you get instantly hooked...
>>
File: 00912.gif (2MB, 320x222px) Image search: [Google]
00912.gif
2MB, 320x222px
>>
>>380680906

Ironically that looks quite cinematic for a 16 bit game...
>>
File: Combat gameplay.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Combat gameplay.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>380679996
Nothing wrong with cinematics, as long as you got the gameplay to back it up.

You're gonna talk the talk you better walk the walk.
>>
>>380681624
what gaem?
>>
>>380681624

Hey man, as long as I can press start or select and skip them on subsequent playthoughs...

Would't have finished bayonetta like 15 times if it wasn't like that.
>>
>>380681624

What is going on here? after that initial blow its gameplay? pretty good transition, I'm impressed.
>>
nier automata
>>
>>380682061

Not really, it starts with a mecha sequence and has a ton of cutscenes...
>>
>>380679996
>I'm tired of watchig movies, scripted cinematic sequences, walking simulators, QTE's, endless unskipable tutorials...

Then you should have been born in the 80's to 90's faggot. Enjoy your fucking interactive movie games.
>>
>>380682154
It has much less cutscenes than the average JRPG
>>
>>380681813
Ninja Gaiden / Ninja Gaiden Black / Ninja Gaiden Sigma

>>380681820
I always watch all cutscene no matter how many times I've seen them. The only time i will skip them is if they are before a segment i already died on. MGS1 is my favorite game of all time, i have always appreciated good cutscenes in games. Can't stand movie games though.

>>380681994
Son, that is all gameplay from start to finish. The beginning is them both doing a move called Flying Swallow at the same time, it literally happened to me not 2 days ago.
>>
>>380682359
What are you saying Nier is full of cutscenes.
It's just that most are either optional or just sprinkled into the game as passive conversations.
>>
>>380682537
>Son, that is all gameplay from start to finish

amazing how some games succeed in making the gameplay itself interesting and even cinematic. In the average modern action game, this would be a ''pres X to see cool thing'' while the gameplay itself is mediocre (batman or assassins screed style that plays itself with zerp depth and challenge).

I am beyond mad.
>>
File: Will it blend.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Will it blend.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>380683008
It's funny. Anyone who saw this back when it was made would be impressed but immediately recognize it as gameplay. Now everyone suspects bullshit because they don't see characters models sliding around to connect blows and transitioning into long mini cutscenes with each attack.

I've never seen any game come close to Ninja Gaiden when it comes to combat but Bamham is such fucking cancer that it makes every other game look groundbreaking in retrospect.

I wish there were more webms of these games floating around for people to see :(
I can only make shitty, short stolen footage ones so is topped trying.

I should say that obviously those are not gameplay camera angles, because that's from the start menu demo.

Normally the fight would look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvW-pfZngGE

Fiend Ryu's AI is quite something, the fight will never play lout the same no matter how many times you do it.
>>
>>380681624
>Nothing wrong with cinematics, as long as you got the gameplay to back it up.
I would go even further and say that it improves a lot gameplay. Good action games do have a viasual appeal as a reward of playing well.
>>
>>380684940
Of course they do. These whole cinematic thing only started to be a problem when video game developers started making them the main course instead of the side dish. It's much easier to make video games that way and get access to a much wider market (apparently), and now cinematics ARE the gameplay.

The fights with Virgil would not be nearly as memorable if they did not have the cutscene building them up beforehand, and then you get the great transition into the actual fight and the gameplay reflects everything the cutscene built up to, there is no dissonance between what is presented in the cutscene (cuhrayzee) and the actual gameplay. Now devs seem to have take this no dissonance concept to heart but have gone about it in the most lazy, easiest way.

>dead thread

Can't we fucking talk about vidya gaems? shit
>>
>>380686870

That Vergil fight on top of the tower is one of the greatest memories of my gaming teenage years.

Not a hack'n'slash, of course, but I remember shadow of the colossus being the most ''cinematic'' game that almost had no cutscenes and rarely takes control out of the player...
>>
Games are so easy, take you out of control so frequently and hold your hand so much nowadays that dark souls passes for an ''ultra hard gaming experience''.

It's difficult is barely above average compared to any decent game...
>>
>>380687404
I wish i could love Shadow of the Colossus like everyone but that fucking spoiling cunt giving you the answer to every boss fight if you don't immediately do it in 30 seconds flat really ruined it for me.

It does have the best soundtrack in video game history and i did enjoy the non boss fight portions of the game. The first time i saw Agro casually stroll to a pond to drink water while i was busy climbing a tree blew my mind. It was one of the most natural looking and beautiful things i have ever seen in a video game.
>>
>>380684880

I regret so much selling my PS3 before playing ninja gaiden.

Please, PCSR3, save me!
>>
>>380688270

They way you ride a horse and how it behave was never surpassed, generations later.

I was surprised while playing RDR that the horse riding didn't felt as good as SotC...
>>
>>380687883
Dark Souls is 100% normie bait.

The original premise wasn't even that it was hard, just a throwback to how video games used to handle player deaths and respawning. It was just 3D Castlevania, but it blew every normie's mind with how HARDCORE it was.
>>
>>380679996

If I'm trying to make a "videogamey" game right now, what's the best way to offer a tutorial?

A skippable tutorial level that comes before the first real level? Just an option in the menu? Trying to introduce things slowly INTO the first level would probably make it so boring on a repeat.
>>
>>380688685
Unless the concepts are unique or complex, then usually just controls for jump/shoot/dodge will do.
The megaman way of introducing something simple, then gradually increasing the amount of execution needed is a good way to teach gameplay concepts.
>>
File: zzp.jpg (25KB, 250x355px) Image search: [Google]
zzp.jpg
25KB, 250x355px
not even joking.

You literally just show up to the final boss like nothing.
>>
>>380688651
yeah, but Dark Souls is still one of the best games I've played last gen
>>
>>380688987
New requirement:games must be the best in their franchise.
>>
File: Best girl is also in it.jpg (265KB, 1024x1681px) Image search: [Google]
Best girl is also in it.jpg
265KB, 1024x1681px
>>380688349
Given what Sony has been saying an HHD(fuck video games) Collection has a bigger chance now than that happen, and it's not likely to happen at all (remember Ace Combat?). As far as i know you can't play them on the Bone either.

It goes under the radar of even casual action game fans.
>>
>>380689464
Kasumi a cute.
>>
>>380688537
Yeah, a lot of people praised RDR for the horses but i played it and it was just competent to good, which is more then every other game with horses to be fair. Never seen anything come close to SotC
>>
>>380688685

I like games that have tutorial mini-levels outside the main game. Its like the devs are saying ''hey, if you wanna learn the complex mechanics of the game, here are the instructions, meanwhile you can play like a scrub to get the first impressions of the game or whatever, I don't give a shit, do things your way''.
>>
>>380680745
Last time since w101 and bayo2 where I felt like I was playing a real single player VIDEOGAME. Demon souls is my favorite souls game no question. Easily in my top 5.
>>
>>380688987

I don't even know what the hell the plot of DMC2 even was. Something about some company on some Island.

I beat it twice with both characters.
>>
>>380689364
I think it's the worst of the franchise, maybe tied with 3, but each having different faults

But let's not get into that...
>>
>>380689857
Not even close nigger. Go away
>>
>>380689661

They key being ''outside the main game''.
I absolute fucking hate games that stop the gameplay every 5 seconds on the first level to raise a tutorial image for mechanics. Its the absolute worse way you can go about it...
>>
>>380689639
No anon, Kasumi is puhfehcht
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.