[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's time to discuss the best RPG ever made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

It's time to discuss the best RPG ever made
>>
>>380667732
This isn't the .hack thread.
>>
File: 1496589514324.jpg (51KB, 568x562px) Image search: [Google]
1496589514324.jpg
51KB, 568x562px
>>380667732
>$25
>2015
Heh...
>>
Yen was best girl
>>
File: shadowbeast.webm (3MB, 1200x674px) Image search: [Google]
shadowbeast.webm
3MB, 1200x674px
>>380667732
How does a game from 2002 that's not about hunting mosters has better monster hunting than a game from 2015 that's all about hunting monsters?
>>
File: shadowbeast2.webm (3MB, 1150x646px) Image search: [Google]
shadowbeast2.webm
3MB, 1150x646px
>>380668017
>>
>>380668017
this game was about tracking down your missing daughter dumb nigger, monster hunting was side quest stuff
>>
not even the best RPG of 2015
>>
>best graphics of any RPG as of 2015 (still holds up)
>best sound design
>best soundtrack
>best setting of any RPG
>Bloody Barron is the best character
>gwent was such a great game that they gave it it's own standalone title
>best DLC practices of any major company
What's not to love?
>>
>>380667732
...you guys don't need to have New Vegas threads every day you know?
>>
>>380668235
worst gameplay
>>
>>380668183
>we're not supposed to learn about "reading comprehension" in class this year. Sorry be patient I have autism.
>>
>>380668235
nu/v/ is only interested in anime titties my dude
>>
>>380667732
>rpg
>>
Alright, let's discuss it.

The open world design is literally ubisoft-tier in its filler and POI spam, and is further destroyed by...

...the loot system, which destroys any incentive for exploration. The weapons you find are worse than witcher gear you obtained 10 levels ago, and you get witcher gear from quests anyway so its not like you have to go hunting for them.
Money holds practically no value whatsoever, and the only loot you find thats useful is alchemy ingredients. Which would be fine if...

...the combat system wasn't so barebones and bland. Throughout your 150+ hour adventure, you use one moveset, 5 bland spells, a crossbow, some bombs and optional potions. The enemy and boss design is so generic and boring though, that using all that hify shit like potions and decoction is pretty much pointless. The biggest strategy is just to mash light attack twice, backhop, and repeat. A large majority of the enemies follow this mentality, and it never truly evolves into anything more meaningful. Why does Djikstra have the same moveset as a wild hunt warrior you fight with Keira?
The game even reskins and recycles enemies in paid DLC, and then dares to call them new ones with new beastiry entries.

The quest design is made for literal braindead children who can't think for themselves. Its obnoxiously yawn inducing because the "investigations" you do are practically you just walking around in circles and spamming X so geralt can shove some more exposition down your throat. It lacks depth, challenge, player activity and more than anything else, longevity. It never evolves into anything more unique or interesting, and it persists through the ENTIRE 150+ hours.

The main quest is basically super mario in poland, where Geralt goes around picking flowers, herding goats and helping every bum under the sun just so he can get the usual message that "nah bro, I don't know shit senpai"

cont
>>
>>380668521
Skellige is wasted potential at best, and the game rushes to its conclusion way too fast after Kaer Morhen. Novigrad and Velen use up a massive portion of time, and the entire point of those areas boils down to "your ciri is in another area that requires you to go through like 20 boring side missions before anything substantial happens"

The story sets up its stakes way too high, and thus makes side content break immersion to a major degree. Theres no reason why Geralt would go around killing nekkers for pennies when the literal end of the world was around the corner.

Speaking of which, the white frost, ciris powers and all of culminating at the same time is some of the most cringe inducing shit I've ever seen. Ciri can hop between time and space because "its in her blood lmao" and the white frost is just a prophecy of "dude lmao if it happens we all die lmaooooo"

Then at the end when you defeat Eredin (who is the most bland fucking villain I've ever seen, he has less lines than reskinned shopkeepers in Velen), the white frost just suddenly comes at the same exact time and Ciri defeats it somehow and everythings awesome and then yay the game ends.
Its rushed as fuck and I lost all my interest in caring about the characters during that arc.

HOS is the best content in the game, but it doesn't fix the gameplay gripes. The story is great however and has the only good antagonist in the entire game.

B&W is fine, but again has the same problems with its open world, quest design, enemy design, and even the main quest.

Overall the game doesn't have a single piece of good gameplay, and the only thing that comes close is the boss fight with Dettlaff.
Its worth experiencing because of things completely unrelated to it being a video game. You would get the same exact experience from just watching it on youtube for fucks sake, and even then it would save you money, time and most of all effort since you wouldn't have to wade through boring filler.
>>
>>380668621
do you have this saved so you can copy and paste it in ever witcher thread
>>
File: gdfgdfg.png (6KB, 377x296px) Image search: [Google]
gdfgdfg.png
6KB, 377x296px
>>
>>380667732
>follow the red line gameplay
>quen slash roll combat
>ciri was here but now she's not story
>SILVER SWORDS ARE FOR MONSTERS SUCH AS YOURSELF writing
>OC Donut Steel protagonist
>ubisoft map with everything already pointed out for you
>"hey remember this character from the books you didn't read?" cast
>everything is morally grey so a drunk abusive rapist is just as bad as a battered housewife "morality"
>no roleplaying
>hardly even a game
>>
To be honest, the books are pretty crap, at least the game is trying
>>
>>380668235
It was made by vodka drinking poles instead japanese samurai eating sushi
>>
>>380669098
>SILVER SWORDS ARE FOR MONSTERS SUCH AS YOURSELF writing
>"hey remember this character from the books you didn't read?" cast
burn yourself
>>
I come to /v/ to look for potential games and every single thread there's someone making legitimate points and shitting on any game I find remotely intriguing.

Can anyone recommend a good RPG for me? I'm about to just grab Final Fantasy X
>>
>>380667732
It would be way better if they took out all of the half assed RPG mechanics and made the combat and exploration better. I love the game but it was hard to get through sometimes.
>>
>>380670929
Have you heard about Witcher III
it's one of the best you should try it
>>
File: image.jpg (107KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 1191x670px
>>380668009
You mean Cerys
>>
>wargh bad guys must kill
>whoop portals
>BEST GAME EVER
nah
>>
>>380670929
There are too many to count dude. What kind of setting/gameplay are you into? How much dialogue can you handle?
>>
>>380668521
>The weapons you find are worse than witcher gear you obtained 10 levels ago
But that's not even true. It's actually the other way around, crafting is pointless because in one level you will find better random loot.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (16KB, 409x187px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
16KB, 409x187px
Game is boring as hell. Roach is a bug factory and the open world offers no reason to even explore. Deviantart writing, graphics are amazing, only memorable character is Geralt and its because he'
s the mc.
>>
>>380671968
If it counts for anything, Chrono Trigger was my absolute favorite as a kid.

I don't care too much about setting, turn based would be cool, available on Steam preferably, and a decent story is a plus.

If not turn based, at least have a combat system that is engaging. The combat in Arkham and Assassin's Creed just get old for me.
>>
All who don't agree with it have shit taste.
>>
>>380669589
Can someone recommend any good "monsterhunting" books? First story of first Wiedzmin book was focking awesome, and then it just went to shit with all its useless drama.
>>
>>380670929
every game will have people shitting on it. I think ff15 and type 0 are worth playing as well.
>>
File: KotOR_Cover.png (662KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
KotOR_Cover.png
662KB, 768x960px
'tis indeed a great time to talk about the greatest rpg
>>
>>380673870
Ok this game was indeed the shit. I never got around to playing II, is it worth a playthrough?
>>
File: 1495382498132.gif (2MB, 249x240px) Image search: [Google]
1495382498132.gif
2MB, 249x240px
Did someone say best RPG ever made?
>>
>>380674107
Its MGS 5 of its time, you decide.
>>
>>380672238
>9 hours

Jesus christ, at least complete the tutorial before posting your shit opinions.
>>
One of the best games ever made

but it's not an RPG
>>
>>380674562
>9 hour tutorial

do witcherfags really need that much help playing a video game
>>
>>380674107
Kotor 2 is da bomb
>>
Maybe I'm wrong but the game felt top heavy to me. Felt like they put tons of work into the prologue and Velen, but after that it kind of fell off. Novigrad was so fucking boring, and Skellige, while stunningly beautiful, was also pretty bland to me.
>>
>le TheBull34 pretends to be a fan to make people hate the game by saying utterly stupid things episode

Fed up. Hidden.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.