[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/jrpg/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 23

Playing?

Looking forward to?

Best you played this year?
>>
Just finished FE:SoV. Game had a great final act, but the frustrating middling sections will probably keep me from ever coming back to the game.

Also finished DQ8 last week. Definitely have some newfound interest in the series. Thinking of going back and playing DQ4 and/or DQH now.

Started up EO4. Man this game is addicting. Might marathon the 3ds library of these games over summer.

I want to finally start up a console RPG now over summer. Narrowed down between FFXV and Xenosaga. Thoughts?
>>
Playing?
Persona 5
>Looking forward to?
Strange Journey I guess. I haven't been on top of Jrpg news recently. What's even coming out?
>Best you played this year?
Persona 5
>>
File: dragon_quest_11.jpg (333KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dragon_quest_11.jpg
333KB, 1920x1080px
>For sure looking forward to

Xenoblade 2
SMT Strange Journey
DQXI
Cold Steel 3

>Interested in

Ys 8
Mario & Luigi
South Park
Ni no Kuni 2
Tokyo Xanadu
>>
>>380659363
>Playing?
Still playing The Legend of Legacy, Meurs run.
>Looking forward to?
The Alliance Alive, most of the 3DS ones coming out, EOV
Haven't played many released this year, but I'd say maybe FESoV.
>>
I am currently playing SMTIV and looking forward to Romancing SaGa 2 still.
>>
>>380661452
How is that game? I tried the demo back before it came out but it got over run but all the other bigger games since. I've played every big 3ds rpg since and looking to go back to the ones I've missed.
>>
>>380659363
>Playing
None right now, but next up is Xillia 2.

>Looking forward to?
SMT: Deep Strange Journey, Xenoblade Chronicles II, Tokyo Xanadu.

Now that you mention it, I haven't played many RPGs this year. I've been occupied catching up on titles from other genres.
>>
>>380659363
>Playing?
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
>Looking forward to?
SMT: Strange Journey Redux, Xenoblade 2, News on SMTHD
Digital Devil Saga 1. One of my favorites now.
>>
>>380659363
>Playing
Nothing right now

>Looking forward to?
Monster Hunter Stories and Xenoblade 2

#FE
>>
>>380663394
Excellent, one of my favorite 3DS games. It is very obtuse however, and is similar to early, pre-romancing SaGa games. No tutorials besides the initial formation and singing shard ones, so the player has to figure everything out themselves, including where to go next. In your first run, it begins somewhat easy in terms of enemies but absolutely jacks the levels of enemies up to "every enemy battle is a potential gameover" tier about by Propylaea if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
File: 1497057580369.jpg (20KB, 600x453px) Image search: [Google]
1497057580369.jpg
20KB, 600x453px
>playing
Atelier Sophie
Supposedly pretty weak entry in the series, but it's my first one and I'm having fun.
>>
>>380659363
>get to Baramos
>durrrrrrr thump my healer for a third of their HP through 2 castings of Increase and then breathe 90 damage fire over the party so my healer dies from full HP instantly
Were they expecting you to grind for Barrier or something? What the fuck.
>>
File: 1497469914919m (1).jpg (141KB, 1024x1021px) Image search: [Google]
1497469914919m (1).jpg
141KB, 1024x1021px
>>380659363
>Playing
SMT nocturne
I tried playing it before, but I quit at mizuchi's dungeon due to reasons.
I just cleared the obelisk and I am now doing the second kalpa.
I can see why people like it so much, but I got really spoiled by p5 and smt IV/A qol improvements other than that it is very good.

>looking forward to
I am looking forward to DEEP SJ since I haven't played the original yet or I did play it, but I only beat the first boss.
I am also looking forward to the new smt project.
>>
Anyone planning on doing the FFV four job fiesta?
>>
File: fullmetalhee-ho.jpg (90KB, 300x190px) Image search: [Google]
fullmetalhee-ho.jpg
90KB, 300x190px
>>380659363

>/jrpg/

fuck that, we /smtg/ - /v/ edition

gtfo with other dogshit series
>>
File: 1472132806745.jpg (141KB, 543x405px) Image search: [Google]
1472132806745.jpg
141KB, 543x405px
>no DQXI localization announcement at e3
>>
I got DQIX at a garage sale for $3
>>
Can anyone tell me if its worthwhile to play wild arms 3. I would mainly be in it for the story rather than the gameplay.
>>
File: 1444590665632.png (207KB, 610x686px) Image search: [Google]
1444590665632.png
207KB, 610x686px
>>380666496
>>
>>380666871
I don't think any WA game has a decent localization so
>>
I think broad reaching, genre jrpg threads on /v/ like this are among the best threads. Very nice.
>select all the images that match "trumpet"
>pic of a french horn
google you suck
Anyway, anyone else still playing XC for N3DS? Just got it.
>>
>>380664193
>>380664172
Getting my Wii U back from little bro next month. Mainly looking forward to playing XCX but I'm interested in #fe too. How similar is it to Persona?
>>
I've been busy recently but now I finally have some time to play JRPGs! Now, time to replay my favourites for to 30th time rather than trying something on my backlog.
Does anyone else do this? I'm probably not maximizing my fun, but I'm worried that everything I try will end up disappointing me and I'll end up wasting my time off without having fun.
>>
File: maxresdefault (6).jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (6).jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
>>380666496
That is not very nice of you to say.
>>
>Playing?
SMT IV, my like 10th Megaten, finally had to get a 3DS. Having a blast, mainline games are definitely the best
>Looking forward to?
Strange Journey Redux, I guess. Beat SJ just a couple months ago, but I'm itching for a replay
Persona 5, hands down one of my favorite games of all time. The wait was 100% worth it
>>
>>380667560
Besides similar combat not much, it's like Strange Journey's Co-op system but better.
>>
>>380667491
Played it for the first time on the 3DS. Became my favorite modern RPG. So damn good in every aspect. Only downsides were how rare some of the collectibles were for completing the book and rebuilding a town later.
>>
File: MD_Sky_EN_boxart.jpg (746KB, 1000x895px) Image search: [Google]
MD_Sky_EN_boxart.jpg
746KB, 1000x895px
>>380667661
I do that, I replay some jrpgs from time to time.
I might get lynched for saying this, but I replayed pmd eots a bunch of times
>>
>>380667661
This was me for the first 20 years of my life. Replayed FF7/X, Tales of Symphonia, Fire Emblem, KH over and over and over. Finally started to venture out and play almost exclusively new stuff. Definitely appreciating and enjoying video games more now. I still replay some new and old favorites from time to time there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe try something like 2 new games then 1 old game.
>>
>>380667861
I like how big it is so far. 3DS is my main machine for games now so far, although I emulated a few psp stuff like 7th Dragon 2020 because I wanted to see what happened after the DS game and before the 3DS one.
>>
What sort of challenge runs have you done for your favourite JRPGs?

I'm doing a 0% growths warpless low turn count run of FE5 and I've done various other similar challenge runs to keep the game interesting every time I play.
>>
>>380668058
>>380668065
Oh and Pokemon. Played each Pokemon game more times than I'd like to admit.
>>
>>380668058
I played that one about a year ago, storyline is pretty good for a mystery dungeon game
>>
>>380666140
Nocturne's my favorite game of all time, no question. It's true SMT IV probably spoils you a bit too much (demons end up being containers for whatever broken spells you can jam into them), but the dedication required to fuse a really broken demon in Nocturne is rewarding like nothing else.
>>
>>380659363
Been playing Dragon Quest 1 on android lately. I like how straight forward it, no bells and whistles even more so than Final Fantasy 1 which I loved for that exact reason. Very grindy but I don't mind as I do it while watching anime or taking a shit.

Having a tough time with the Green Dragon at the Swamp Cave. Should I be above level 11?
>>
Was thinking of picking up Fantasy Life, thoughts on the game?
>>
>>380668619
I gave it an hour and couldn't stand it. When it came out all I heard was praise for it though.

>>380668114
I'm normally not one for huge exploration based games but this was the first (and last so far) that really compelled me to explore every inch. Somewhat related but I wish I could get into FFXV.
>>
File: 1496691210775.gif (1MB, 644x321px) Image search: [Google]
1496691210775.gif
1MB, 644x321px
>>380668369
>but the dedication required to fuse a really broken demon in Nocturne is rewarding like nothing else.
I gues that is true.
>Mfw I finally got a high mp megami with manalift, makatora and a bunch of healing spells.
I honest wouldn't have come as far as I am now without here.
It seems like I missed out in daisoujo who is supposed to be really good.
Should I still fuse him eventhough I am about 15 levels above it?
>>
>>380666496
Nope.
>>
>>380668058
I've played Explorers of Sky at least 10 times. I loved every second of it. I lost my cartridge about 2 years ago and I've never found it.
>>
>>380668908
Nah, I've never used him to his full potential either but I've seen what he's capable of. He's actually pretty game breaking and makes the game way easier. If you enjoy the challenge I'd avoid it.
>>
>>380669191
Then maybe NG+ or something.
>>
I've been slogging through TitS for years only playing on and off. I think almost finished with that. Also juggling Xenogears, Star Ocean 2 and Golden Sun. Cold Steel is next.
>>
There any overlooked jrpgs on US playstation store?
>>
File: timewellspent.png (947KB, 1281x963px) Image search: [Google]
timewellspent.png
947KB, 1281x963px
>>380668369
damn straight it is rewarding
I am in the process of making another super demon
>>
Wtf am I supposed to do in this guy's story? I get stuck here every time I try to play this game. How do I earn so much gald?
>>
>>380670715
Nice, I never got past making a Shiva with similar spells as that Oberon. No stat ricing either (not that Shiva needs any anyway)
>>
>>380664025
>>380669994
Oh right, I'm playing TitS too, totally forgot about it.
I started it about a year ago but put it off after a while. Played now and then but only recently got back into it. I'm having a good time, I'd wager I'm around halfway into the third chapter now.
>>
>>380670636
Maybe. List the games and specify the ones you think are good and I'll tell you what you overlooked.
>>
>>380668058
Not really, everyone fucking loves Explorers of the Sky.

If you had said Gates to Infinity you would have been lynched.
>>
>>380670830
go find chests in the cave.
beat lots of enemies with incredibly high drop rates.

then talk to the king or commander in cheif
>>
File: qtchulainn.png (716KB, 1021x764px) Image search: [Google]
qtchulainn.png
716KB, 1021x764px
>>380671336
the only thing that is hard is the macca grind
I ended up spend 1 million + macca on making these guys
A side effect is that I now very good at the armala tunnel minigame
>>
What are some good JRPG's on 3DS and DS? I recently picked up Bravely Default and I really liked it. Only other JRPG's I've played are Final Fantasy IV DS version and Xenoblade Chronicles.
>>
>>380671484
I think I am too. I remember something about a tournament when I last out it down. Good game but really wordy.
>>
Why did the jrpg general died?
>>
>>380672206
I remember 90% of the posts being "TitS ON STEAM WHEN" so I assume people didn't know what to post once it finally got released.
>>
>>380671797
DS:
Radiant Historia
Dragon Quest V
Chrono Trigger
The World Ends WIth You (Not a fan but it's pretty universally loved and unique)

3DS:
SMT IV
Devil Survivor
Tales of the Abyss
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Dragon Quest VIII
Etrian Odyssey

Not RPGs but 10/10 stories:
Ace Attorney trilogy
Virtue's Last Reward
Ghost Trick
>>
>>380671797
xenoblade chronicles
smt IV +IV-A
smt devil survivor overclocked
bravely second
dragon quest VII & VIII
fire emblem games
Persona 4 Q
Etrian Odyssey series

off the top of my head
mario & luigi: dream team
>>
>>380671758
Respect. I always alt tabbed (emulator) out of that minigame
>>
>>380672206
Heard it imploded due to Tales and spoiler posting along with general shitposting.
>>
>>380672206
Dedicated spammers spamming spoilers, copy-pasted wiki articles, and other long nonsense killed it. It got so bad that the generals were deleted on sight for a time, eventually people just gave up on it. I've never seen anything else like that on 4chan.
>>
>>380671797
DS:
- SaGa remakes
- TWEWY
- Fire Emblem 12
- Valkyrie Profile CotP
- Pokemon
- Front Mission (port)
- Dark spire / knights in knightmare?
- atelier annie?
- infinite space?

3DS:
- SMT Devil Survivor games
- Etrian Odyssey
- SMT SJ (presumably)
- Radiant Historia (presumably)
- Fire Emblem Conquest (gameplay only)
>>
>>380673475
EOP shitposting too. Like it just attracted people with the worst mental problems and Onso.
>>
>>380659363
Finished Dragon Quest 2 on SNES yesterday. It was bad.

Now I might play Dragon Quest 3, but I also want to play Digimon World Dusk.
>>
playing valkyrie profile 2, for the first time. liking it a lot

it looks great. the music is great. i can't believe this is the same guy that shits out lesser tales soundtracks. I love the symbiotic-possesion idea of the protagonist, although it's too bad everyone else is kind of bland
the combat system is a little quirky, but I basically like it. I think I'd like it more if it was just outright turn-based? I understand how all the time management stuff works, but it feels like unnecessary complexity, whose only purpise is to give combat real-time pretentions it doesn't really need

but, either I don't get it as much as I think I do, or they really want me to grind dungeons forever. I always feel drastically underlevelled just when pouring it all into my main party; getting the einherjar levelled on top of that, with no exp sharing mechanism, just seems like time-filling overkill

still lots of fun, though
>>
Playing:
Atelier Sophie. I'm hating this shit but i paid 20 bucks for it so fuck it i WILL finish it.

Looking forward to:
Persona 2. Yuropoor here, Atlus hates us and the localization here has been awful. Thank goodness i think i might manage to find a modified PSP thanks to a friend and play both innocent sin and eternal punishment (which never arrived here)

Best you played this year:
Persona 5, hands down.
>>
>>380672206
/s4s/ tier shitposting.
Honestly though, the recent jrpg threads on /v/ are better than what the general was on /vg/. These are quite good, especially for /v/
>>
What's some good picks on Steam my brethren?
>>
>>380673621
>SaGa remakes
wait those got DS remakes?
>>
>>380674175
help
>>380668532
>>
>>380674331
The combat system needs to be free-roam because positioning plays a huge part in combat. Both for enemy attacks and your attacks, as well as destroying certain parts on enemies.
>>
>>380674671
Saga 2 and saga 3 got ds remakes that were translated.
>>
>>380668532
I played the SNES version and don't remember that dragon being a problem for me. You don't need to defeat him to progress in the story, so I would advise to just fight him later when you're higher leveled.
>>
File: 1412346717214.jpg (3MB, 2042x2908px) Image search: [Google]
1412346717214.jpg
3MB, 2042x2908px
I have a lot of good games on my backlog but right now I'd like to play a nice comfy JRPG with a good tactical battle system. It needs to contain cute girls. PC games or emulated; my computer can play some ps2 and gamecube games at full speed. Please help me out. Thanks.
>>
What are some JRPG's with party creation/customization?

Something like Pokemon, Final Fantasy I, or Etrian Odyssey
>>
>>380676547
Final Fantasy Legend I and II you pick what characters are in your party at the start of the game. Well actually in FFL1 you can choose the other three or two, or go in solo.
>>
File: PersonaPSPNAcover.jpg (328KB, 640x922px) Image search: [Google]
PersonaPSPNAcover.jpg
328KB, 640x922px
Reminder that this exists and it's extremely underappreciated.
>>
>>380676903
like 3 times i've tried to play this game and only got through the police station and one time i got up through the corporation building where that machine or whatever exploded. i love Persona 3 and on, but 1 and 2 are snore fests for me after a while
>>
>>380666496
Fug that, on top of Deep Strange Journey we are getting Radiant Historia and Etrian Odysse, plus Persona 5 was amazing, we are entering THE AGE OF ATLUS.
>>
>>380674443
>Atelier Sophie. I'm hating this shit but i paid 20 bucks for it so fuck it i WILL finish it.

At least you paid 20 for it, I got it on launch for full console price because I'm a big Atelier fan. God damn, Sophie is so fucking bad, how they hell did they go from god-tier games like Rorona, Totori and Ayesha to fucking Sophie?

If you want a good Atelier game, definitely try Ayesha out.
>>
>>380676547
dragon quest ix is the first game that comes to mind
>>
>>380676903
>Too SMT for Personafags
>Too Persona for SMTfags

Being P1 is suffering.
>>
>>380676903
How long are those 3 games? Really wanted to get into them after I played 5.
>>
>>380659363
>Playing?
megaman starforce counts right?
>Looking forward to?
dqxi, eov, strange journey redux, and maybe ys 8
yokai watch. it was cute
>>
What's the best Dragon Quest game for DS?
Awhile back I heard V was the frontrunner, but there are more games on this handheld than I realized.
I can only get one and would like to know for sure.
>>
>>380677839
V is pretty universally considered the best. Also the shortest though however that matters to you.
>>
>>380676903
This game is awesome, though not very friendly towards novices. When they suggested me the Persona saga i started with this one and got my ass whooped. So i just tried P4 instead, then came back to this one and loved it. Solid 8/10 in my opinion. Can't wait to play Persona 2 as well (which got more recognition than this one)
>>380677301
I'll do just that, thanks for the advice!
>>
>>380677103
Most of my favourite games on the DS are Atlus games
Most of my favourite games on the 3DS are ports of those same Atlus games
Was the 'age of atlus' in the DS era or the 3ds era?
>>
>>380677675
3 games?
>>
>>380678146
P1, P2IS/EP
>>
>>380677839
depends what is your cup of tea but i would say 5 for story and 9 for local multiplayer/customization

dont buy 4 on the ds. there's no party chat which is a HUGE part of the game. get the ios port for that.
>>
Hey guys, I'm sort of a newbie when it comes to JRPGs.

What are some good titles that emphasis on party relationships/character relationships like in Persona 5?

I'm not just talking about dating/waifu or whatever, but I just really enjoy JRPGs with very interesting character interactions and such. Any recommendations?
>>
Stuck on TitS SC and Neptunia VII. For SC I restarted my playthrough because I fucked up some quest, but I still stopped playing at some point. Quit Neptunia on the last third. I liked both of them, but I guess I'm feeling burned out, so I'm just putting them on hold for now.
Looking forward for G.U. games on pc.
>>
>>380672110
Haven't encountered a tournament yet, I'm at the part where you explored that factory for a while and then head off for a tower.
I quite like it being so wordy, makes it comfy to play

>>380672206
I miss /jarpig/ so much. ;_;
>>
>>380678369
Persona 5 is actually the most lacking chapter of the saga in that aspect since all the members except Ryuji and Ann are just glued together because of Joker. In my opinion, despite its flaws Persona 4 had the more close-knit party in the whole saga.
>>
>>380677675
>675▶
>>>380676903
>How long are those 3 games? Really wanted to get into them after I played 5.

P1 PSP is cool, you may want to patch the music the P2 dualogy i would not recommend, as games they are awful.
>>
>>380659363
>attempting to make this a general
Have fun with /jrpgg/ 2.0 I guess
>>
>>380678281
P2 is quite long even for an RPG. Try Persona first and if you like it, then go for Persona 2 as well.
>>
>>380676903
The Persona 2 games are among my favourite games ever. Will I enjoy Persona 1? It's the only Persona game I haven't played yet.

The day I finished playing P2:IS was the first day a girl kissed me.
>>
>>380678369
That's one of the main selling points of the Tales franchise. Although it's more cliche anime style. The Bravely games have a shit story but fun party / character interactions. Mores-so Second than Default. Can you help us by narrowing down what consoles you're looking for?
>>
>>380659363
>>380678917
Eternal continuous threads would be too frequent
I think one thread every 1-2 days is the ideal frequency for JRPG threads, if they're too closely spaced you get worse discussion because posters are spread out over time but if they're too infrequent then people end up promoting shitposting threads because there's nowhere to talk about stuff
>>
>>380678757
Dude what? Revelations' OST was gloomy and had quite an atmosphere but come on, Meguro did an hell of a job. Door to Persona is one of my favourite vidya tracks ever.
>>380679092
You probably will friend.
>>
File: Utawarerumono-MoD-Kuon-Trailer.jpg (61KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
Utawarerumono-MoD-Kuon-Trailer.jpg
61KB, 600x338px
Been playing .hack//INFECTION because of the recent buzz about the GU games being re-released, which I'm really looking forward to. This game is only tolerable because it reminds me of the good old days playing FFXI and how clunky that game was.

Best JRPG I've played this year was probably Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception, oddly enough. Its pacing between cutscenes and gameplay is pretty shitty until near the end, but the gameplay that's there is really damn fun. I did not go into that game expecting timed hits.
>>
>>380679636
Can I play Mask of Deception if I haven't played any of the other Utawarerumono games before?
>>
>>380659826
For the love of god make it xenosaga
>>
>>380679507
I just made the suggestion because people there are usually bitchy about Meguro job.

I for myself only played with the PSP soundtrack.
>>
>>380679092
It's okay but the story isn't as interesting
>>
>>380680057
Yes.
>>
>>380680057
There's just the one game before it, and I'd strongly recommend playing the first game before Mask of Deception just because seeing the returning cast has more of an impact when you know who they are and how they got where they are. Having said that, it's in a different country with the old characters not being center stage, so you could get away with not playing Utawarerumono 1 before Mask of Deception, but I've heard they play a much larger role in the third game that's coming out in September, so you'd want to know who's who anyways. An alternative to playing the first game is watching the anime since I remember that being a pretty good adaptation for Utawarerumono unlike the second game's adaptation. First game has kind of lacking gameplay and is a porn game, so I'd understand people watching the anime instead.
>>
>>380673040
PQ isn't really good, it's a total retread of P1's SEBEC route with worse writing and a kind of acceptable EO-lite dungeon crawling that gets old fast. Using characters you like from P3/4 is a fun novelty but the game really isn't worth the 40 or so hours it takes to beat.
>>
>>380674443
PSPs are dirt cheap and have been for years (yes, in Europe, too). They're region free and softmodding has been a joke since 2010. If you actually think there not being a physical EU release for P2 IS is an issue you're kind of an idiot at this point anon.

The real shame is EP's PSP port not getting localized because not only is it the better game of the two but the PS1 version sucks dick to play. Not that any version of P2 is actually fun to play, the only decent thing is the characters, but still.
>>
>>380677675
Why do you not play Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 Golden? Use PSTV if you have to though, because you can play all of the PS2 games on it actually even the Vita ones. Would advise playing those first.
>>
>>380678754
They are two different games anon. Its not like Persona 3 FES is supposed to have the same close knit friends as 4 Golden. Each is its own game and its own theme.
>>
>>380680531
I think P2 gets ridiculously overrated in these threads and on /v/ in general. The gameplay is absolute crap bot in and out of combat, the story is alright but really didn't need to be split into two games (especially considering how short IS is), the rumor mechanic is neat but kind of underused for most of the game, the dungeons are crap, the music is bland and forgettable (aside from Maya's Theme, maybe) and the only thing the duology really has going for it are the characters, of which only EP's cast and Eikichi aren't boring or done better in a different game. P1's story, if anything, is more interesting, as well as less cartoonish. It's less ambitious but far better at what it does, I felt. Also really enjoyed the different scenes you got for picking different party members to take with you for the different routes, though I do think the actual party members round-trip and selection was done very unintuitively.
>>
>>380682116
> the story is alright but really didn't need to be split into two games (especially considering how short IS is),

The reason why is because of memory limitations. Back in the old days of PS1 and PS2 there were still memory limitations the system had to deal with, which explains load times, animations being slow. You also have to take into account Atlus was a small company at the time with not much of a budget.
>>
>>380681803
No I have played those. I just wanted to get a fuller picture of the series.
>>
>>380682457
Yeah, but the PSP remake could've included both games on two UMDs or something. Or fuck maybe just have two (or more, it was like 2000 IIRC, several other games had set a precedent for even more than two) discs for the original PS1 game like 90% of JRPGs at the time.
>>
Some new Dragon Quest XI news.
http://gematsu.com/2017/06/dragon-quest-xi-ps4-special-videos-feature-delusions-takayuki-yamada

>Much to Yamada’s joy, Horii confirms that there are various Puff-Puffs in Dragon Quest XI.

GOTY contender here folks.
>>
Recently got the JRPG itch so I tried out Tales of Berseria. Not a fan of the combat system, prefer slower paced more tacticool systems.

There is also not nearly enough character progression/customisation. RPG without any sort of skill tree and only very basic crafting? Why do people like this game? The story is really basic, few likable characters - but not memorable. Music only part that I really enjoyed.
>>
File: 12345.jpg (156KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
12345.jpg
156KB, 600x900px
>>380683786
Have some ps4 ingame footage
>>
do you guys think a MMBN style customization could work well in a more traditional jrpg?
>>
>>380659363
Tales of symphonia and Tales of the abyss, i've already beaten both but haven't played in years and don't have any good jrpgs I haven't atleast tried.

Looking forward to strange journey and radiant historia remakes, as well as dq10, mh stories, ni no kuni 2,Eo5, kh3, ff7 remake

Best was Persona 5
>>
>>380684232
cause its better then the trash that was zestiria
>>
>>380683786
New DQ fan. Have played DQ5,7,8 and playing 4 now. Thinking of picking up DQH. What else would you recommend I play?
>>
>>380684858
>>
>>380684858
dqh 2
>>
>>380684858
1->3, do not play 3 without having played 1.
>>
>>380684858
For a new DQ fan, you've played a good chunk so far! Well done lad!

I would recommend all the mainline games, since a bad DQ game is subjective and for side games? At the very least, play Rocket Slime. It’s fun as hell.

The DQMJ series is pretty good but it’s not a “must play”. DQ Builders is good if you like Minecraft in anyway.
DQH2 from what I’ve hear, is an improvement over DQH.

That’s all I’ve got for now! Other anons, feel free to add on or discuss over.
>>
>>380685229
>>380685668
Is it worth playing DQH before H2? Or is it the same just better?
>>
>>380679175
I have PS4, Xbox One, and meh PC (should be good enough for JRPGs though I imagine).

Tales sound interesting. How is the latest Tales game?

>>380678754
That's interesting. Too bad I can't find Persona 4 golden on the PS4, but it's on the Vita? I might emulate PS2 and play P4 then.
>>
>>380686007
I'd say DQH is closer to the traditional musou games while DQH2 adds more RPG elements like traveling by foot to each town.

If you a musou game with a DQ skin, get DQH
If you want a musou game that's more of a blend of DQ and musou, get DQH2

DQH2 has online multiplayer while DQH does not.
>>
>>380686703
So there's no real correlation between the two or reason to play both? No continued story?
>>
>>380687057
Not at all.
DQH and DQH2's story isn't it's strong point. The character interactions and fanservice is the real strength of the two.

That and gameplay of course.
>>
>>380687513
Ah okay. I'm thinking after 4 I'll try 1-3 and then the Heroes games to maximize my enjoyment and awareness of the fanservice-y elements. 9 and to a lesser extent 6 don't interest me too much but I might still try them at some point.
>>
File: 1479325654694.png (461KB, 617x793px) Image search: [Google]
1479325654694.png
461KB, 617x793px
started playing persona Q recently, it's a lot better than i thought it would be
it basically changes or removes most of the things i don't like about etrian odyssey and it ends up being a pretty great game
i've also been chipping away at SaGa Frontier on my psp, a guilty pleasure of mine
>>
>>380687740
Perfectly understandable. You play what games you are interested in lad. It's just nice to always see new Dragon Quest fans.

I hope you have fun!
>>
>>380688189
PQ was my entry point into the Etrian games and I really enjoyed it. Really liked the HP / SP buffer you got at the start of each battle to extend each crawl and allowing you to use some spells in random battles without the constant nagging feeling of wasting mana. Only downside was the flanderization of most of the characters. Still a really fun game.
>>
>>380688340
What's the best way to play the older DQ games now though? I mainly game on my 3ds so those titles were all perfect fits for my gaming preferences. Is emulator the only realistic option? Also I'm pretty sure they are all shorter games no? With a backlog of 50+ hour rpgs I'd love for some more shorter ones to play in between.
>>
File: PQ_Aigis.png (152KB, 319x688px) Image search: [Google]
PQ_Aigis.png
152KB, 319x688px
>>380688189
Persona Q is just a really, really easy EO game. I enjoyed it as well, wonderful atmosphere, especially in the third stratum.
Shame that magic outside of de/buffs and instakill is useless and a detriment to the party. Wurld of STR is taken to a whole new level in PQ, fucking Junpei can kill most bosses in 2-3 turns.
I hope PQ2 fixes that.
>>
>>380688768
Emulator isn't the only option!

1-3 is best played on the iOS, especially if you want more quick games on the go.

4 has a DS option but... Go with the iOS. iOS has party chat, which is a vital part of the game.

5 and 6 are best on the DS.

7 is best on the 3DS

8 is debatable. If you prefer graphics over portability, go with PS2. Portability and content? Go with the 3DS version.
>>
>>380688768
1 is pretty short, but 2 takes a lot longer especially without a guide. Not really sure how long 3 is, but I'm thinking it's going to be a lot less frustrating to play than 2 was, at least. Also, the SNES versions are usually the agreed upon definitive versions of the games.
>>
File: 1495717059809.jpg (613KB, 500x730px) Image search: [Google]
1495717059809.jpg
613KB, 500x730px
>>380682116
I agree with you about the overrated part but I just like both games.

EP and Wild Arms 2 are those jrpg I have fond memories when I was teenage boy.
>>
>>380689412
Damn, I forgot about the SNES versions! But I think in this anon's case, iOS works better.
>>
Halfway through Fornax in SJ, Eridanus really made me fall in love with this game. Also started a new Nocturne save, not rushing but it's nice to see a 3d SMT and Im looking forward to the HD project. Also have DQVII 3DS I should go back to but it felt like a slog and I haven't unlocked the job system.
>>
Playing: Cold Steel 1
Looking forward to: Cold Steel 3
Best I played this year: P5 or Trails the 3rd, can't pick
>>
So I hear the Trails series is pretty good. There seems to be a lot of praise for it. I searched up the series and found out that this is the first game. Is this a good place to start, or is there another game I should play first?
>>
File: 1472774855821.jpg (114KB, 620x780px) Image search: [Google]
1472774855821.jpg
114KB, 620x780px
>>380689660

Kind of stupid question but Im playing SJ for the first time and Im stuck in the fight against Asura; what shoud I do?

My team is Black Frost, Frost Ace and Parvati
>>
>>380690440
Use the frost cannon and fight by yourself.
>>
>>380690175
It's complicated. What people here usually talk about is "The Legend of Heroes: Trails ..." series. Trails in the Sky would be the place to start. If you wanted a full backstory on the clusterfuck of a series it turned out to be, this guy explains it better than I ever could.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaN2G-AEd9Q
But no one here is talking about those earlier games. They aren't related.
>>
>>380690671

I wont hit myself if he puts rage on me right? That is what you are saying?
>>
>>380690830
He won't use it at all if you're by yourself.
>>
>>380690794
Oh and I meant to only watch the first 3ish minutes of that video. That's where he gives the backstory on the series. You don't have to watch the rest.
>>
>>380690794
>>380690997
Wow, that really is complex. I thought that Falcom only made the Ys series for the longest time. Thanks for the info anon.
>>
>>380688189
What route are you chipping away at?
>>
>>380691338
No problem. It's a great, cozy series that I just found out about myself about a year ago. They are great games if you want to get immersed in a world and it's characters. Especially the first game is really slow paced though, which turns off a lot of people. Steam sale is soon, you could try to pick up the first one on sale and see how you like it.
Thread posts: 156
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.