[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this game actually good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

Is this game actually good?
>>
if you like reading little moody subsnippets and short mysterious CYOA segments then yes

the game is a total snoozefest otherwise, I enjoyed it but I'll never touch it again, it's slow as fuck and not particularly fun.
>>
it is boring as hell

just read anything from lovecraft or similiar to his work
and it will be way better than this game
>>
>>380634231
It's like Faster Than Light, except boring and shitty
>>
>>380634231
It's got an interesting premise and alright ship/sailing mechanics, but that's about it.

It shares a universe with another "game" from the same makers (called Fallen London), and if you haven't played through that one, you're gonna be in the dark as to what the hell is going on in Sunless Sea.

The writing is arguably its biggest strength, but it can get a bit exhausting to actually read. Everything is very verbose and borderline pretentious, and while I admit there are some generally good lines here and there, the whole thing feels very "try-hard" (as much as I hate that term).

I wanted to like it, but I can't honestly say I enjoyed it.
>>
>>380634231
the best way to play this game is with cheat engine
>>
>>380634231
NO, ITS THE ONLY GAME I'VE EVER REFUNDED ON STEAM.
>>
>>380635412
I enjoyed it, but I can't argue that it often feels like a lot of the text was written by the kind of person who likes to wear steampunk attire to events unsuitable for steampunk attire
>>
Its not really good. It's mostly an exercise in frustration and boredom
>>
Gets fairly repetitive after a while gameplay wise but I liked everything else about it. If you want a slow game to just relax on a rainy day sure.
>>
File: 2351351.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2351351.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
>>380634231
I love the story ideas it has, but I have a hard time getting past the mechanics without immediately dying in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>380634231
The writing is the only real strength. If it doesn't click with you early on, get a refund. If you do get it and enjoy the stories, ditch the perma-death aspect.

The perma-death aspect can lead to some tense situations that force you to think strategically in regards to resource and risk management, which I enjoyed. However, the actual reality of rolling a new character to retread the same seas and stories that you did with the previous captain is boring at best, soul crushingly tedious at worst. The fact that your only reward for beating the game without dying is a shitty token makes this unforgivable: Turn autosaves on.
>>
>>380635948
>>380635412
>set in Victorian era Lovecraftian London
>complaining about how it's written
I'm glad that went completely over your heads
>>
>>380634231
The main issue is that the game is really slow on advancing storylines unless you get really lucky. I had one run that did almost every event just because I managed to get good drops non stop. That run was also the most fun one because its a lot more fun playing it fast and risky then slow and methodical. However other runs I tried to do this I died within a couple of hours every time. So if you like going to one place over and over for days until you have enough for a dreadnought then just stomp the game since almost nothing can beat you head on then I wouldn't buy.
>>
It's a surprisingly reactive game, despite having next-to-none of the conventional trappings of RPG character progression. Really slow burn and the grind can get unreal for some things Salt's Song, but I really enjoyed it otherwise. The Neath is a fantastic setting and I was more than happy to back Sunless Skies.
>>
>>380637106
no i get it

its just not written very well at times
>>
Expending on what I said here: >>380636920

The game was clearly built to be a rogue-like of some kind, meaning that there is a lot of luck involved in advancing stories, as this anon noted: >>380637410

You can grind to pad your stats to improve your chances at some things, but many important stories trigger randomly (especially the Magician's story). These mechanics would be more digestible in a faster game with better replay-ability. If you can get thoroughly immersed and accept that you won't get some stories, or that you'll have to be patient to get progress, then fine.

If not, you're going to want to cheat your way through this game or save-scum the events until it works out.

I fucking love this game, and I backed it early: It just has problems that push my buttons in the worst ways.
>>
>>380639081
>I fucking love this game, and I backed it early: It just has problems that push my buttons in the worst ways.
I feel you. Its a great setting for almost any other type of game beyond the one they chose. Sailing isn't engaging at all and the resource management becomes such a non-factor after half an hour where I just wish going anywhere besides polythreme was worth it.
>>
Like others have said, it's the writing that's the main strength. If you can get into roleplaying your characters well then it might be worth leaving the permanent death aspect of it in, but the gameplay is sparse and mostly consists of slightly tedious resource management to get to the next section of a story you want to read.
>>
File: 260px-SS_flaggaz.png (95KB, 260x338px) Image search: [Google]
260px-SS_flaggaz.png
95KB, 260x338px
>>380640068
>I wish going anywhere besides Polythreme was worth it
But anon, it's always a good idea to visit your colony.
>>
File: paid.png (60KB, 558x741px) Image search: [Google]
paid.png
60KB, 558x741px
It's not for everyone, but I like the stories.

>And they shall sing: Hojotoho!
>>
>>380641552
Can't go to the colony without that loot son, and where are you gonna get those echoes? Polythreme.
>>
>>380637426
>Sunless Skies.
Is that going to be horror-ish in tone as well?
>>
>>380637426
>the grind can get unreal
Fallen London gets so much worse in that aspect. The action limit is a colossal pain in the ass for how much you need to do for certain things.

>>380640068
You can slightly mitigate the boredom of the resource management by going past your safety limits and seeing just how far you can make it before being forced to return to London. More often than not this will just lead to you dying in the middle of nowhere but there's not too many feelings like pulling into port at 0 fuel, 0 supplies and 6 crew.
>>
>>380641785
My Trickster nigga, living the high life.
Don't upgrade your fucking raven, whatever you do. It's not worth that monstrous amount of effort for what you get.
>>
>>380642094
I ground out the wealth ambition by smuggling red honey and sunlight. Your way sounds much safer.
>>
>>380642365
There is a cult trying to bring back something which doesn't exist and giant paper creatures that float around in space. Signs point to yes.

>>380642753
I've upgraded him in both directions since I had to know.
>>
>>380642465
>6 crew
>Not running absolute minimum crew 4 for the base ship using the clay stokers
>>
>>380642365
Given that we're now in the domain of the Judgements and they're all fucking dying, I'd say so.
>>
>>380643314
I have a bad habit of both abusing FULL SPEED and running at frankly inadvisable levels of insanity, which often leads to crew death.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.