[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>I bought one of these What the fuck was I thinking /v/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

>I bought one of these

What the fuck was I thinking /v/
>>
My sister bought me a Steam Link for my birthday and it was the most useless piece of shit ever.
>>
I got one. I don't particularly regret it as a controller based mouse for games that don't require precision but holy shit this thing is not even close to replacing anything that I'd regularly play with a controller and no chance in hell I'm playing a first person game with it.
>>
is it really that bad? it looks futuristic as fuck?
>>
>>380631202
It's not bad, it's pretty comfy to play Civ with one a big TV on your couch but everything else a $15 xbox 360 controller does better
>>
>>380631202
I use it during board game night for Mansions of Madness 2 and I occasionally use it for xcom 2. It's more handy than any trackpad I've ever used and the buttons are nice for games, but I would never pull it out when at my desk, I would never pull it out in place of a game I'd normally use a 360 controller on, but it fills a small niche when I've got my PC setup in my living room and want to play something with mouse controls.
>>
>>380630979
the trick is using the gyro for precision aiming. then it becomes a direct upgrade to aiming with a stick.
>>
I was thinking of picking it up for 20 quid OP... saw some reviews and purchased the 360 controller reciever instead.
I often wonder if it's good desu
>>
>>380630724
>What the fuck was I thinking
you clearly werent
>>
>>380633815
Best $35 controller around.
Better than a 360 controller for modern 3D games.
About the same as a 360 controller for 2D games.
>>
>>380630724
You were probably thinking it'd be nice for FPS games on the couch, which it is.

Superior in every way to using an analog stick controller for FPS/TPS stuff.
Also perfect for grand strategy and other menu games.
>>
>>380633223
>gyro-scrub
Using gyro for precision aiming just makes you slow as fuck.
I can play fucking Quake and Unreal Tournament with that thing when I set the aiming to "ball mouse".
Too bad you need more than one to be able to play multiplayer without huge balancing issues (much worse than M+KB and insanely much better than analog).
>>
>>380633815
It lacks a D-pad, but other than that it is perfect.

I really like the extra pad buttons on the bottom for crouching and jumping in FPS games.
>>
>>380632473
>never pull it out in place of a game I'd normally use a 360 controller on
why? the analog stick is far superior to the xbox ones, it also have more and better buttons, i haven used my xbox controller since i got the steam one
>>
i love the thing to death, but we may just play different games regularly, OP
>>
File: 1488429452913.jpg (122KB, 524x469px) Image search: [Google]
1488429452913.jpg
122KB, 524x469px
I fucking love mine. Twin stick is literally the worst shit thats ever been shit. I hate that they're still the standard in 2017.

Trackpads+Gyro is a way more accurate than stick. Both on their own is way more accurate than stick. Hell I'd prefer a good circle pad with a nice grip on it (Not the 3DS') to a fucking stick.

The only problem is using the dpad for movement in games. It works fine for games like Nier Automata, Kingdom Hearts, BotW, a lot of shooter games that have situational stuff on those buttons,etc. This is really only a problem for older emulators because most modern 2D games have good analog stick support. Though it would be really nice to have a better movement option for non analog games. Overall I'd prefer a Dpad and stick to be interchangeable because I don't want to trade the two trackpads for anything in the world. They're so fucking diverse in what they can do.

It's great for 3D platformers, 1st and 3rd person shooters, games like FTL, Dragon Age and The Banner Saga, action games like Bayonetta, Dark Souls (Using the bow without shit controls is great) and Dragon Dogma, RPGs like Torchlight and Warcraft 3 Warchasers.

I've been doing fun things with it like setting up a my monitor and a beanbag in my room, getting high as a kite and playing FTL and other games I'd need a keyboard for for hours. I'm playing BOTW again on CEMU and not losing the gyro controls from the WiiU gamepad. I might eventually be able to do the same with Splatoon's singleplayer. Deus Ex HR has been amazing on it. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger was best played on a Steam Controller. I've been using the gyro to recreate the Wii motion control for Bit.Trip Beat and I'm gonna do the rest of the series. I can use the trackpad for DS and eventually 3DS emulation.

I want to get an Xbox One controller as a backup (I hate that I have to pay 150 for the version with four back paddles) but overall I love my Steam Controller. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
>>
>>380634918
>>
>>380630724
>I want a versatile controller even if it isn't necessarily as easy to grasp as the Xbox lineup of controllers and maybe it was on sale at the time so it was a cheap controller
I like mine but I'm also mostly playing 2D games with it since the xbox controllers are garbage for that kind of gameplay, whereas the touchpads are properly placed for use as quasi d-pads in stark contrast to the d-pad on the xbox controllers. On the other hand a properly placed left analog stick is more intuitive for movement in 3D so I haven't really gone for using it for those games yet.
I especially love what's available in the rear with the dual stage triggers and the grip buttons even if the bumpers are kind of meh.
>>
>>380637613
This. The only games I haven't been able to get a comfy config for are the old school Tomb Raiders, but nobody makes games with that control scheme anymore so it's almost a non-issue.
>>
>>380636121
Not that much worse than KBM, to be honest.
>>
>>380632473
>for Mansions of Madness 2
Isn't that a phone app?
>>
>>380636121
>gyro is slow
Stop turning your whole body.
>>
>>380638830
Just shut up, you dumb child.
You haven't ever played a real arena FPS in your life, have you?
>>
>>380630724
I recently made the same mistake, probably the worst decision in my entire life.
>>
File: steam_controller.jpg (874KB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
steam_controller.jpg
874KB, 4128x3096px
>>380630724
It's a good controller senpai.
>>
>>380639008
whoa........ watch out....... this guy's a................ badass....................
>>
File: 1415412815781-0.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1415412815781-0.gif
2MB, 380x285px
>>380639097
>>
>>380639008
The trick is to do Splatoon-style controls, put gyro sensitivity very high and duplicate just the X-axis controls onto buttons instead of a stick, leaving Y-axis on keyboard or something as you'll only use it to level the camera if it drifts away. That way you do quick turns with the left-right buttons and aim solely with gyro, resulting in a very fast yet precise setup.
>>
File: Steam_Controller___.gif (56KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
Steam_Controller___.gif
56KB, 300x240px
Beta version was sexier
>>
its a quality controller it just takes 3-5 hours to get comfortable on games youve used xbox controller for
>>
>>380630724
Ps3 controller the bets

Bought OP pic related and it was so shit for every single game besides shit like browsing the desktop

then bought ps4 controller and the R2 and L2 triggers feel SO BAD TO USE

PS3 is the BEST controller as it it the ps2 controller but wireless ffs
>>
>>380641212
>but wireless
As if it's a good thing. No input lag, no batteries to charge or weigh the controller down, no nonsense, wires are unbeatable.
>>
>>380641564
I don tlike it touching my leg when I sit
>>
>>380641706
Fag
>>
>>380641564
Seriously why doesn't every controller have a wired variant? I wonder this about smartphones with slide out keyboards too.
>>
>>380640864
>aim solely with gyro
You're an even worse scrub than the other guy.
You would never be able to beat anyone in multiplayer with that setup.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.