[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern games and replayability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Link_and_the_Harp_of_Ages.png (269KB, 452x720px) Image search: [Google]
Link_and_the_Harp_of_Ages.png
269KB, 452x720px
Anyone feel like games are becoming less and less replayable with how big they're getting lately?

Take for existence, some old classics, Crash, Super mario 64, Starfox 64, Spyro, Even RPGs like FF7. All of these games are super replayable, you could easily find yourself revisiting them just because, and probably be done with them in a week.

Starfox 64 is an on-rails 45 minute adventure. its short as hell, but easily replayable. Need an hour to kill or just want something to do? pop in and play. nothing to it.

But with newer, larger scale games with "open world" BotW, Xenoblade X, Mario Odyssey, Assasin's creed syndicate, Skyrim, etc. You don't feel the need to revisit them. Its a one-time play because there so much shit to do and you'll likely take months just to finish it all, and then you feel like you'd never replay or do all that shit again because it took you three months or so and you just dont have time to dedicate to that again.

I feel like in this case the games lose their luster. Because going back to re-play them from scratch feels like it would be a chore, Xenoblade X for example. It took 30+ hours just to get your skells, would you really restart the game again knowing you'll be 30 hours away from it getting good? and even more so having beaten the game and capping at level 60, theres almost nothing left to do but explore a giant empty world in overpowered mechs.

This kind of gampleay philosophy is good for short term play, but certainly not long term. what do you think /v/?
>>
You're kind of cherry-picking. Of course Crash, Spyro and Starfox are smaller than RPGs like Skyrim and Xenoblade.

And I'm sure you replayed your games more when you were younger because A) You had less games to play. And B) You had more free time back then.
>>
>>380630973
No, no Thats not what I'm saying. I'm talking game longetitvity not nostalgia. RPGs are always long, usually a week long, but some of the platformers are like 3 months long now.

Even as a kid, I don't think i'd ahve it in me to just otright restart BOTW aftr all that shit I did in it. all the sidequests, all the extra fluff. And the problem is because thats the bulk of the game, the game itself story-progression wise isnt even 3 hours long, and not even fun ebcause the game isnt built around the journey, its built around the fetchquesting extras you can do to pad it out, like more Open world games.
>>
>>380631385
Lets not also forget most open world games are one save file, which means you need to delete all your content and all your hard work jsut to restart.
>>
>>380630081
youre an idiot if you think length of a game is what dictates replayability
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.