[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cinematic games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1473671245879.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1473671245879.webm
3MB, 960x540px
Let's talk about cinematic games, /v/. I think a lot of you fail to grasp the difference between story-driven games whose mechanics and writing combine so well that the gameplay itself feels like a Hollywood movie (e.g. Uncharted, The Last of Us, Max Payne, etc.) and story-driven games that practically play themselves and are essentially movies (Beyond: Two Souls, The Order: 1886, etc.)
>>
It's not only that, there's also a HUGE difference between some older "cinematic games", like Metal Gear Solid & Resident Evil, and all these modern "we wanted to make a film, but it needed to be interactive" titles we've had to deal with for 10+ years now.

It's funny how people bash MGS with the "lol movie!" jokes, when it actually keeps the gameplay and cinematics separated from each other. When you got the controls, it's VERY videogame-y, to the point that some people aren't even too comfortable with anymore (HP bars, bossfights...).
>>
I feel like a game should have the player in control as much as possible, the less time you spend controlling your character is the less time you're playing a game. I guess I see your point about having a very cinematic cutscene, then very videogamey gameplay afterwards, I still think the cutscene is a waste of player time.
>>
>>380600689
> mgs
> When you got the controls

That's precisely the problem anon... Glad the hack kojima finally got shitcanned so there can be actual gameplay in the series again.
>>
>>380602729
Enjoy playing your pachinkos
>>
>>380603017
> being this retarded
You remind me of nintenbros that did their 'PLAYSTATION IS DOOMED' because their tv division made an operating loss.
>>
>not being able to hit someone literally rolling at your feet
uncharted is such trash
>>
>>380603017
S-stop anon, it hurts...
>>
goddamn film school dropouts fucking up other media

just because you could not make it in Hollywood does not mean you can make shitty b-movies trying to disguise themselves as games
>>
>>380602729
All of the MGS games have good gameplay and plenty of it. I greatly prefer it over this "time for CINEMATIC first-person cutscene with quicktime events, so you feel like you're playing a movie!" crap. There's nothing to MASTER in that style, as the gameplay can change completely mid-way.
>>
>>380603084
And you remind me of someone playing a zombie survival game with reused assets
>>
I didn't even read any of this presumbaly shitposting, but that swinging with his one hand out lmao. Was this webm made intentionally to bait or does the game really play like this?
>>
>>380599003
The problem I have with the Last of Us isn't that it's a walking simulator or some shit it's that whether it's story was in a movie a game or a book it would still be generic for the zombie genre and the characters reaction to their predicament is not smart. Add to that a bunch of technical and game play problem and a so called best game of all time is just barely mediocre.

I don't like the Max Payne series either, but its because I don't like any cop game that uses being a cop as an excuse for action rather than using game mechanics to simulate being a cop and actually investigating especially with modern games, Now I can tolerate some action as the dumb masses love shooting galleries but when your whole game is just that it gets boring quick.

Having game play is also not enough for a game to be best of all time. If I had you play Tetris while a great work of literature scrolled past as the blocks fell that wouldn't exactly make Tetris a literary puzzle game masterpiece. Having people giving exposition inbetween action sequences is the same disconnect but less obvious. The best game ever would be one whose story is interwoven or whose game play directly commentates on it's own story. The more separate or exposition laden they're the less conducive to being a good example of a game maximizing it's own artistic potential. I would have this same criticism for movies whose story is not mostly visually told and directed rather than stated.
>>
>>380605382
> being this new
Assets get reused all the time anon, also in AAA releases. Plebs like you just don't see it.
>>
>>380605543
What do you mean? The rope thing is used in combat areas a ton if that's what you're asking
>>
>>380605543
It's an indicator that if you jump, then he can grab onto something
>>
>>380599003
>dat gameplay has the guy flying around in a rope fucking up fuckbois shooting at him with guns
>in the same game this faggot gets his ass kicked by one strong independent black womyn in a simple fisty fight

console gaming was a mistake
>>
File: fuck_puzzles.webm (3MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
fuck_puzzles.webm
3MB, 640x640px
The Order and Beyond have different problems. The Order perfectly emulates the look of a film, but the level design is boring, doesn't introduce many new ideas or objectives; recycles. Beyond is way too unfocused for an interactive movie-style game, horrible pace, and I can't take the story or characters seriously.

I beat The Last of Us and platinumed each entry in Uncharted except the Vita one, and I've found that I don't have the patience for that kind of game. It feels like momentum is killed so much--path's blocked, gotta climb around, move this crate or press triangle to give my NPC partner a boost--to the point it's predictable. I've been replaying Beyond Good and Evil and that does a good job at keeping things fresh without having to program whole other objects/gimmicks in every new area.

Besides Inside and Little Nightmares, Max Payne 3 and Wolfenstein: The New Order were the last cinematic games I loved. And they're still not perfect, obviously. I'll be trying Hellblade because it's so cheap and has some creative potential, but my expectations are low. A Way Out, on the other hand, I think that could be great. The devs made Brothers. Writer/director has a background in film (made six features), but he repeatedly puts emphasis on the fact that games should be playable, as interactive as possible, even if the game is cinematic. Very promising mindset in my opinion.
https://youtu.be/_ApSmPvxz1o
https://youtu.be/loSGz75EYuI
>>
>>380609835
The last of us is goty
>>
>Hollywood style games
>Such as uncharted, last of us, max payne
You do realise a lot of people doesn‘t like playing games where you act as a "good" protagonist but somehow ended up destroying every single places, blowing up every single vehicle and killing evey single living beings in the game, right?
>>
>>380610049
The last of us is trash.
>Me innocent, me just babysitting little girl
"Oh shit there‘re looters"
>Killed looters
"Oh shit up front is bandit hideout"
>Instead of avoiding the place, go right in and kills everyone
"Me take little girl to medical lab"
>Kills everyone in the research station
Those two probably done more damage than all the looters combined.
>>
>>380609694
not this again
>>
>>380599003
>LE IF ITS NOT ON PC IT SUCKS!!!
>PLS LE PORT XDD PETITION SIGNED BY 30.000 MEMBERS OF R/PCMASTERRACE
>LE DORK SOLS!!! XDDDD

*ascends*
*installs RGB into wifes sons (((rig)))*
BRETHREN!!! XDDD
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.