[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what happened to horror?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: nufevi.png (89KB, 485x365px) Image search: [Google]
nufevi.png
89KB, 485x365px
the hell happened to the horror scene? I haven't played RE7, so i might try that, but most games are just jumpscare-fests made by kids with game maker studio.

why did jumpscares become so popular?
>>
>>380597365
>why did jumpscares become so popular?
because you get to watch your favourite youtube friend pull funny faces and scream, duhhhh :))
>>
>>380597365
FNAF
>>
>>380597365

Psychological horror is extremely difficult to pull off. Less than 1% of the people interested in or involved with horror even have the necessary understanding of the human mind to willfully pull it off. That's why most horror film fans like "slasher" flicks and jack off over Jason Voorhees' "best kills"

tl;dr jumpscares are guaranteed to work and startle you, even if they're cheap and only work once
>>
>>380598112
ah yes the one game that got popular due to one guy playing it.
and then it got worse
worse than it already was.
>>
File: 1454875712410.jpg (80KB, 611x500px) Image search: [Google]
1454875712410.jpg
80KB, 611x500px
>>380597365
Try the best game. It can make you feel every emotion because it's written and programmed like that. So naturally there's some scary parts as well! It'll make you laugh then cry then scream then really make you think about life. It's coming to PS4 soon as well so you could wait for that if that's your preferred platform.
>>
Jump scares and gore are guaranteed to get a reaction. A tactile atmosphere that will elicit on you the desirable reactions every single time takes craft, and most devs don't have it

It's the difference between The Exorcist and Friday the 13th, really
>>
>>380599086
lemme guess... undertale?
played it. didn't really like it. i didn't get what the hype was about. i should play it again, though.
>>
What are some good horror games without or with very few jumpscares? I'd like to get into them
>>
>>380599409

Silent Hill. 2 is the least jumpscarey. The series has some "boo" moments (hanged guy in funhouse in 3, some choice enemy placements in 1, etc.) but they're rare and definitely not the main source of dread
>>
>he thinks that YouTube is the world

Jumpscares are popular on YouTube games, and youtube is for kids only so it makes sense.

Kids (and manchildren) are scared by jumpscares the most and they like to scream about it, so they enjoy watching videos where people do the same thing.

The youtubers don't need to sell it very well because their viewers are 80% children and the kids can't tell the difference.

Horror games still exist, why don't you stop being lazy and look for some yourself (anywhere except kidtube)
>>
>>380599409

Rule of Rose

Clock Tower, though the early ones definitely have jumpscares
>>
>>380599612
my sincere apologies.
>>
>>380598329
Slasher movies are dumb fun, but I don't really associate them with the modern trend of jumpscares.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.