[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some cases where piracy adversely affected a series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3648.gif (236KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3648.gif
236KB, 500x281px
What are some cases where piracy adversely affected a series in a significant manner?
>>
>>380547212
who is this cute anime slut
>>
download a game
>developer makes 0 dollars
not download a game
>developer makes 0 dollars
to answer your question: no such thing.
>>
>>380547212
Only case was the dreamcast.
Modern day, piracy help games spread more.
>>
>>380547212
Every game on PSP.
>>
>>380547358
Really want game, buy it
>developer feeds his kids
Really want game, pirate it
>developer's kids die
>>
>>380547504
really want game
>no pirate version, no download
really want game
>pirate version, download
>>
>>380547504
>developer's kids die
developer should thank the pirates for giving him such a motivational backstory
>>
>>380547212
half life 2
>>
>>380547482
This seems plausible, but it was actually easier to pirate on the DS than the PSP so why didn't it affect that handheld more?
>>
File: 1461753687329.png (21KB, 654x627px) Image search: [Google]
1461753687329.png
21KB, 654x627px
>>380547358
>Game I really want comes out
>Consider buying it
>Check to see if I can play it for free first though because games are fucking expensive now
>if I can't play it for free I suck it up and buy the game when I have the cash

Makes me feel like a dick because I want to support as many games as I can, but I'm broke as fuck, so I'll pirate anything I can unless I really want that physical copy
>>
>>380548030
>A pirated game is a game that 0 dollars went to developers
>a non pirated game is a game that 0 dollars went to developers
don't worry pirating doesn't hurt except for rare cases such as the PSP 10 years ago
>>
File: 1360679922308.jpg (25KB, 460x330px) Image search: [Google]
1360679922308.jpg
25KB, 460x330px
>>380547504
Now the developer doesn't have to pay for his kids. He should be thanking us for saving him money.
>>
>>380548019
Probably because more kids and casuals owned a DS and they couldn't even grasp the idea of hacking their handheld; while the PSP was more for teens and nerds.
>>
>>380547475
>Play game for free
>I'm helping you! You can now pay your heating thanks to me!
oh wait.
>>
>>380548523
Go be retarded somewhere else
https://torrentfreak.com/piracy-can-boost-digital-music-sales-research-shows-160121/
https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/06/13/does-online-piracy-help-boost-sales.aspx
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/digital-piracy-not-harming-entertainment-industries-study-1.1894729
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/10/04/1244239/more-evidence-that-piracy-can-increase-sales
http://lifehacker.com/how-piracy-benefits-companies-even-if-they-dont-admit-1649353452
>>
>>380548790
>piracy **CAN** boost
LMAO. Reminder:
>Play thing for free!
>see now you can buy food and pay for your home! You should be happy that I stole your game!
Nu pirates are complete moral fag scum.
>>
>>380548905
t. butthurt indiedev who blame piracy because his shitty game doesn't sell.
>>
>>380548905
It is neither an inherent benefit or harm.
>>
>>380547212
Cing
>>
>>380549002
>Making video games
What am I, a cuckold? I would never make games, let alone make games for pathetic underageb& like yourself. Spend years of my life working on a product only for internet autists to screech about how I deserve no compensation for it and I should be happy that they're playing my hard work for free. Yeah, no, sorry kid.
>>380549063
It's a harm. Don't be a fucking retard. You put money into something, people say fuck you and use it for free. You lose money. Simple goddamn math. I got 100 hours out of Witcher 3 and the devs never saw a dime from me. I helped them in no way shape or form by doing that .
>>
>>380549343
You literally don't understand what harm is if you think that it's a harm. It objectively, undeniably, causes no harm.
>>
File: piracy-is-not-theft.png (41KB, 450x190px) Image search: [Google]
piracy-is-not-theft.png
41KB, 450x190px
>>380549343
>Projecting this hard
>You lose money
How to spot a retard 101
>>
>>380548905
Yeah, it's pretty stupid.

I pirate, but I don't defend it, I just do it when I don't want to take the risk of buying a game I don't know too much about and end up disliking it. Sometimes I've pirated games that I really enjoyed, and sometimes I ended up with some mediocre game which makes me glad I didn't waste any money on it. And if I pirated a game I liked, I will eventually buy the newest sequel of the series or just get that same game.

But that doesn't mean I go around prancing around and saying what I did was any good.
>>
The only reason that this is illegal is because if it was legal, everyone would do it without fear of punishment.
>>
>>380549749
Its very simple, dude A pirate a game, and he like it because it was a good game but he never buy anything. Devs never see a sale from him.
Dude A post in his social media or tell his friends about said game because he like it, then, because of him, dude B, C, ..., N, might end buying said game.
If dude A never pirated the game, the chances of other people knowing about the game dimishes a lot.
Word of mouth is the best publicity any shit on the market can get and if people never pirated things less people would know about them.
>>380550179
It isn't against the law, you can't get jail time for pirating games.
>>
>>380550179
And you can thank disney for that. They've distorted copyright so completely it no longer fulfills its original reason for existence.
>>
>>380548019
DS required a flashcart that cost money and required getting one from sketchy sites.
PSP you just needed to run a file then you could pirate whatever. Or know a guy that knew how to read english and follow simple instructions and run a file for you.
>>
>>380548905
I haven't bought a game without pirating it first since 2008.
>>
>>380550314
Sure, but that argument applies both ways.

If Dude A pirated a game, hated it and tells that to his friends and other people online who maybe were considering getting the game, he might be actively affecting the devs without even having paid for the game he played.
>>
>>380549749
For things like music, Piracy absolutely does increase exposure of the vast majority of bands. Only the top 1% who already make quadrillions selling music written by other people actually are hurt by piracy.
>>
>>380551751
There is no such thing as bad publicity.
Marketing 101, any publicity is still publicity.
>>
>>380547475
>Only case was the dreamcast.
>dreamcast fags STILL tell themselves this

the shit was doomed from day one, it was a 6th gen console that had one analog stick and was limited to 1gb of disc space. Even the best version of THPS2 couldn't save it.
>>
>>380547307
from an anime called "aiura" it's got short ~4 minute episodes and its just some cute slice of life no romance or anything. You could watch the whole thing in less than an hour.
>>
>>380550343
So what your saying it's the jews.
>>
>>380547212
>>380547482

Yep. Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity & Valkyria Chronicles 3. I distinctly remember a Sega rep (the sonic twitter shitposter before it was a thing) posted how they were not localized because of piracy.
>>
What people fail to realize is that 99% of the gaming market nowadays are casuals who either don't know pirating games is a thing or don't know how to pirate games/homebrew.
At best you could say it depends on the audience, if you're talking about some sort of "obscure" japanese game on PC, then piracy is probably a big thing (Melty Blood has way more people who have pirated the game than legitimately bought it, due to the scarcity of physical copies) but if you're talking about something like Minecraft or Call of Duty? Players who pirate probably don't even make 0.01% of players.
>>
>>380553465
Pretty much. The annoying part is all these idiots trying to justify it.
>>
File: power_of_4chan.jpg (31KB, 584x353px) Image search: [Google]
power_of_4chan.jpg
31KB, 584x353px
>>380554927
Its more annoying when some people think their opinions are facts, that's literall autism.
Like this anon said >>380554483
, it totally depends on the demographic.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.