[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

MMOs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: wow-nerd-south-park-580.jpg (50KB, 580x387px) Image search: [Google]
wow-nerd-south-park-580.jpg
50KB, 580x387px
I ask this as someone who plays MMOs:

Is there a such thing as a healthy relationship with this genre of game? I feel like by definition they are intended to replace reality. I find myself feeling and doing worse and worse in my actual life, the more time I dedicate to any game.
>>
Like any game, your real life is real and it's priorities have to come first. I don't have that problem with MMO's alone, many games have started to ruin my waking life.

If you can't maintain a productive life then MMO's are a problem, but I've also played with people that only have an hour or two a night if they're lucky, and they can play MMO's as well. I don't think the genre is inherently dangerous, it just needs more time to succeed in versus single player games
>>
>>380521709
>in2017
this is not 2005 - 2010
the magic of mmos is lost... what mmo are you talking about
>>
it's called addiction and it affects not just MMOs but all video game genres. weak minded individuals will prioritize video games over real life. like how there's a guy out there spending ten grand a year on japanese mobage games.
>>
>>380523107
>weak minded individuals will prioritize video games over real life.
This might apply to ridiculous shit like spending 10k a year that you need for other stuff like your house payment, but when it comes to the way you spend your free time don't kid yourself, there is nothing that compares to video games
>>
>>380522357
FFXIV is becoming more and more popular
>>
>>380523814
Is it? Did they manage to make the endgame not shit?
>>
>>380525082
Well no, casuals don't get to endgame so they don't get a chance to see how shit it is
>>
>>380525082
depends on your tastes but all my WoW friends quit WoW and love FFXIV.
>>
>>380527967
I played it when it first came out and their idea of endgame was no fun.
>>
>>380521709
Is there such thing as a good MMO that doesn't make you grind endlessly for whatever low drops you're looking for?
>>
>>380528598
the game has changed a lot since 2.0
>>
File: 1497358946660.jpg (78KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
1497358946660.jpg
78KB, 500x493px
>>380521709
You know you NEED competition in real life?
Like training/working out more than everyone.
Getting more money than everyone.
Having more "skills" than everyone.
Crushing your enemies!

Anon, no lose life please.
>>
>>380521709
no such thing as worse irl. self-interested people just have expectations of you.
you need to decide if games or irl goals are more important to you.
>>
>>380521709
No. The better the MMO suits your autism the more thoroughly it fucks your life up. But it fills the void so we must abide.
>>
>>380521709
MMO's are not games.
>>
go play
>>380519250
>>380519250
>>380519250
>>
>>380521709
You've got to become a casual. If possible find a guild of people with lives and full time jobs, and then you can be casuals together. Often people that play despite having to juggle life are fairly good, so you can get competent 1-2 night raiding guilds. You won't get and firsts, but you'll get through progression content.
>>
MMO RPG is a dead genre with little redeeming qualities
>Constant grind required to advance in the game drops the IQ of the player base by at-least 20.
>Networked game play limits what developers can do in game.
>Pay to win items kill all integrity of the world, killing the illusion of achievement.
>Hacking and cheating kill all integrity of the world being real.
>Developers not giving the server software to players locks players to the developers servers.

Template MMO RPG games such as WoW can host 500 people in a single i5 processor and 1TB of data a month. ($30 a month for this type of server if you went)
Game studios all try to copy the WoW gameplay because it is the cheapest form of MMO you can make that is still 3D.

A game like mine craft needs much more processing power just to host 100 concurrent players.

I wasted my youth waiting for the next great MMO RPG.
No one is making the next "MMO RPG", at-least its not going to be called an MMO RPG.
The MMO RPG brand is a dog whistle as "Cash grab for easily exploitable people"

Do yourself a favor and stay away.

Some good non "MMO RPG" games you can play that feel like they're MMOs are:
MineCraft.
Space Engineers.
Walking simulators such as Rust and DayZ.
>>
>>380521709
i think it depends on what you're doing in game. If you are obsessed with maxing everything out and doing every quest/sidemission/whatever, it's gonna be unhealthy. if you log in to talk to people and go adventuring or pvping, it doesn't run the risk of becoming a massive time sink. Like basically the only healthy way to play MMO's is to make your own fun, not let the developers dictate it for you.
>>
Is someone playing Black Desert online? what is like is it good?
>>
>>380532747
I'm loading it up for the first time in a few months. It's worth the purchase price but don't expect to play it as long as you would a proper MMO. It tends to bite one in the ass after a month or two.
>>
I've never played an MMO. If DQX came out I'd play it. But knowing how I get so sucked in to Dragon Quest and play for like 6-8 hours a day when I play them it would probably ruin my life.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.