[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The best games ever made have emergent gameplay that extends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: tired of shills.png (66KB, 203x208px) Image search: [Google]
tired of shills.png
66KB, 203x208px
The best games ever made have emergent gameplay that extends the games life because of things gamers find and figure out themselves. This is something definitely missing from modern gaming, the process has become so sterile and copypaste its like every game has a formula now. What actually happened to emergent gameplay?

Fighters, platformers, adventure games all used to have things gamers found whether they're physics exploits, new ways to use intended control mechanics, ways to surpass developer intended barriers. Why did this have to go away? It made the games funner. Some series like Metroid even incorporated breaking the game intentionally because they knew fans found ways to break it.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (13KB, 276x440px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
13KB, 276x440px
Because they know the average gamer now just wants to consume, and doesn't really give a shit about finding new ways to do shit. They just want to look at graphics, hit a few QTEs, and call it a day.
>>
>>380465685
But if that was every gamer we wouldn't see young people going back and playing the older games like they do. Developers have just genuinely forgone depth to their games.
>>
>>380465860
What games are young people going back to play? The first assassin's creed? Black Ops? Fucking skyrim? I haven't exactly seen a lot of cases for young people going back to play "older" games, except for the ones they feel nostalgic for. Which are the early emergence of the cookie cutter game design
>>
>>380466113
wait does 24 count as young? Shit I might be the point you were making
>>
>>380465860
>Developers have just genuinely forgone depth to their games
I don't think they forgot, it's they don't have time anymore. They have insane deadlines because this: >>380465685

In the good ol' days there Miyamoto canceled half done projects because they weren't perfect to his high standard. Today he took stage for the rabbit thing.
>>
>>380465235
If you haven't played prey already, you're full of shit.
>>
There are so many games made by smaller studios or indie developers these days, that I think games, on average, probably don't have as long development cycles as there is more competition on the market now?
>>
>>380467143
I think the short dev cycles are more about developer deadlines (like trying to churn a new game out every year, looking at you ubisoft), and because of that the devs found ways to meet said short deadlines. Namely, by boiling everything down into easily-transferable engines and game mechanics between games. That way they only have to make new art and record new dialogue and keep most of the animations in tact

again, like what ubi does. And bioware. And now I guess bungie. and EA
>>
>emergent gameplay
2016-early 2017 has actually been a pretty good time for this sort of thing if you enjoy stealth games, and immersive sims. Too bad they all bombed
>>
>>380466983
Honestly, I haven't. Not out of spite or laziness but because of apathy because of how far gamings gone down the shitter. I stopped checking or trying to find that needle in the haystack.
>>
>>380467857
Yeahhh stealth was never my thing, most likely because I'm really horrible at stealth games. I'm so bad at them it stops my ability to enjoy them, except for the tenchu games. That's a dead series though.
>>
>>380467670
I think that's true. But I guess the reason why those companies feel like they need to do that, is perhaps because people expect less from their games these days.

There are still heaps of indie games that cannot hold a candle to some titles from the early 2000's in terms of polish and mechanics. As I implied, the market is saturated.
>>
>>380468861
Oh I definitely agree that people expect a lot less from their games, and while I agree that the market is saturated, I don't agree that the big game companies feel threatened by these indie games (who have a lot of the same problems as AAA games but without the brand recognition) and I don't think that's as big of a factor in rushing deadlines as you might think.

fuck it's been too long since I've had a real conversation on here.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.