[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we finally agree Horizon is the true GoTY?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170614_114939.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170614_114939.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
Can we finally agree Horizon is the true GoTY?
>>
>>380432023
no mario odyssey is
>>
Is it actually good?
I've been looking at a new PS4 game and it's on sale where I am right now
>>
If only Persona 5 hadn't totally stolen it's thunder. Even then it would have had a hard time against Nier Automata.
>>
dumb phoneposter
>>
They're both shit.

You also couldn't pay me to say a game where the protagonist is a scrawny white girl with fucking DREADLOCKS is anything but a dumpster fire.
>>
>>380432023
It's not even the best game on PS4 this year
>>
>>380433378
It's really bland anon. Especially the combat
>>
>>380432023
Zelda is fun, atmospheric and has crazy attention to detail, yet feels a bit unfinished at times. It feels like it'd be game of the decade if it spent another half a year cooking.
Horizon is prettier and that's about all it has over BotW. Everything else is orders of magnitude weaker.

Then there's Nier Automata that's neck to neck with the not really zelda, plus there's another half a year for another competitors for the title.
>>
>cant ride dinos
>good
pick one
>>
>>380432023
Bland game
>>
>>380434148
Zelda is pretty damn good, but Horizon beats it in pacing, combat, story, visuals, and enemy design.

>combat
This isn't bait, when your core combat revolves around lock on targeting and weapon juggling, it's bland. Imagine a Souls game with that durability mechanic. Wouldn't fly. I didn't love Horizon's ranged only focus, but I did like the tool variety and planning with tripwires and traps etc. Zelda has it beat in creativity within the combat, but that has less to do with Horizon being shit and more to do with core physics design in general.

Both are great games. Zelda gets the win. Horizon doesn't get the recognition it deserves. That's about it really.
>>
>>380434148
The combat in Horizon is far better. Also, you can't cheese the entire game by pause eating everything.

However, I never understood why people compared Horizon to Zelda. It is much more comparable to The Witcher 3.
>>
>>380434713
I haven't played Horizon, but Zelda combat needs MAJOR tuning. Make the enemies difficult, don't make weapons glass. That's a cheap way of making a game hard.

Is Horizon actually good though? It looked too SJW.
>>
>>380435256
There is only one text log in the game that really has any sort of SJW bullshit going on.

The most SJW-y shit I encounteres in the actual game was Aloy going "excuse me?" when a quest giver recommended she buy a nice dress with the reward he was giving her.
>>
>>380435256
The robot combat is, yes. With most open world games, casual encounters are difficult to remember and they all tend to blur together for me. With Horizon they throw different combinations at you in the wild after you leave the mountain region you start in, and it can create some very intense fights that are a lot of fun. I had to fight like 5 of those god damn ostrich robots on a cliff side and it turned frantic as shit, only for the very last one left to fucking kick my ass off the cliff and kill me.

The robots were genuinely really, really well done. The human combat, platforming, and side content is definitely lacking a lot of the time however. I haven't played BOTW yet and so I can not compare them, but I will say that Horizon was really good, but it definitely had its flaws. I still found it to be the funnest game I played this year so far because of the robots. When I play BOTW that might change and probably will considering what I've heard about it, but Horizon is still good.

Also, a lot of the SJW stuff gets subverted pretty heavily, to the point that it seems intentional. They practically beat you over the head with how corrupt and horrible the matriarchal society at the beginning is. You'll hate them within an hour and you'll like the king of the main lands more.
>>
>>380432023
Its not even the best game out this year on that console.
>>
>>380432023
It is universally known. Just don't mention it here because autistic nintenchildren can't accept the truth and will sperg out.
>>
>>380433523
It'd would've had a hard time against anything because it's fucking garbage
>>
>>380434713
So, you think Horizon beats Zelda because you can put traps?
>>
File: Jp8Nbkz.jpg (145KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Jp8Nbkz.jpg
145KB, 1280x853px
It's a miserable game an I regret buying it
>>
>>380435256
>Make the enemies difficult
Then don't use any clothes you cuck.
>>
>>380436957
Gravity Rush 2 deserves it's fame and placing
>>
>>380435256
Horizon is a meme, don't trust the shills because even the robo dinos are a chore to fight
>>
Zelda is GOTY so far. Yakuza 0 is the best PS4 game though.
>>
>>380437212
That's bad game design. If I have to nerf myself, then they've failed on that front.
>>
>>380435590
Well there is the one part where Aloy asks of there has ever been a Sun Queen and the priests starts laughing and noping.

Then he explains that because the sun has a dick it makes most sense that his chosen on earth also does.
>>
>>380435256

I loved Horizon. Human combat isn't great, but the robot fights got really intense in the beginning, before you get stupidly over powered weapons and armor.

The SJW stuff: As other people have said, the "matriarchal society" is only the first area of the game and it's not portrayed as good. And Aloy basically says as much later in the game when people say "Oh, she's from the Nora tribe!" and she goes "Nah, they were assholes. I came from their lands, but I'm not one"

Also, the King of the Sun lands is total bro tier. The Nora are stuffy dicks (women led) and the Sundom is portrayed as coming out of dark ages and totally reasonable and awesome.
>>
I didn't even play it. Every single element looked awful. Especially the visuals which got so much praise. It was hideous. Ugly, bland design with the worst lighting effects, glares and flares.
>>
>>380435256
It's only considered SJW because it contains the following:
>Literally 1 gay character
>Literally 1 transgender character
>A female protagonist
>A matriarchal society
>A somewhat ethnically diverse cast

Honestly, don't let /v/ get in your ear. None of these aspects make it an "SJW game". It just makes it a modern western game. And it's fun. The enemy designs are really cool. I enjoyed the lore and story and only ran into two characters I didn't like. The different cultures are reflective of real life ancient cultures and it's cool to try and figure out which ones.

The gay character is only noted to be gay when, as you're talking to him, he mentions he wants to see the statue his lover made and then mentions many men, including his lover, were taken from his home during this tyrannical rule. The transgender character is announced when Aloy misgenders him by saying something like "I thought women couldn't be Carja soldiers". And he responds "No woman is a Carja soldier.I could go into detail, but I'd have to fuck you up." The Nora (elitist and isolationist) are shown to have just as many positives and negatives as the Carja (refuses to allow women into positions of power), Banuk (obsessed with proving oneself and isolationist), and Oseram (rude and can be sexist). Even the ethnically diverse cast is brought up in the backstory segment of the game. And there are tons of white, Asian, black, and ambiguously brown characters.

Gameplay isn't new, but it was sharpened to be fun. Honestly, the team just took the best parts from other games and cleaned them up. I don't see the problem with this as long as it's a good game with its own personality.
>>
>>380433378
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPXKdSEGNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGWtyJAkO0
>>
>>380437954
The Carja aren't seen as perfect. They're seen as cleaning up what the last king did, because they used to be incredibly violent. No tribe is made out to be perfect, which I love. Even modern Carja aren't great with the whole " women not allowed to have meaningful positions of power" thing.
>>
>>380432023
Horizon hype fell of a fucking cliff when Zelda came out.
>>
Every PS4 game in existence > Horizon
>>
File: Kat_portrait_(surprised).png (420KB, 809x501px) Image search: [Google]
Kat_portrait_(surprised).png
420KB, 809x501px
>>380437234
I don't know what GR2 does in this thread but i loved it, that game is just fun.
>>
>>380433554
What does that have to do with it being a bad game? You sound violently retarded.
>>
File: 1497152031819.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497152031819.webm
2MB, 640x480px
Horizons gameplay > Zeldas gameplay

Fact.
>>
>>380438158
Console fags were sperging about high rez textures with ants that only pop in when you zoom in close.
>>
Does the protagonist not shut the fuck up during gameplay still?

I never really followed the game after the reveal because protagonists that don't shut the fuck completely turn me off from a game.
>>
>>380439545
It's pretty generic, both games are.
>>380440062
Yes and no, she doesnt talk as much but it still happens, when she does it's annoying. But that's because ashley Burch has a grating voice.
>>
>>380440062
No, she doesn't. She doesn't go on long winded soliloquies when free roaming but she does talk to herself. One of the worst parts of the game IMO. I enjoyed it but that was annoying. It wasn't Monster Hunter tier bad where there's something constantly making fucking noise, but it was bad.
>>
>>380438364
Good post anon
>>
Nope. I got Horizon with my PS4 and it's okay.

Started playing Zelda on my PC 2 days ago and it's really good, only downside so far is the soundtrack.
>>
>>380432023
Why do you give a shit what someone else deems to be the game of the year?

I swear to fucking god these god damn "Game of the Year" competitions and discussions are some of the dumbest shit on this fucking planet.

It is completely fucking subjective, you stupid fucking mongoloids. When will you learn? You're allowed to think that X game is the best game, i'm allowed to think that Y game is the best game. That doesn't invalidate yours or my own opinion.

Get it into your thick skulls that this shit is pointless, or just fucking end your miserable lives, you pieces of organic waste.

I fucking hate anyone who argues over what game is the "GOTY" and thinks that what some retarded video game show says matters in any way. The opinions of a group of disgusting fucking "gaming journalists" is no more valid than your own in this 100% subjective matter.

Fucking corporate normalfags.
>>
>>380432023
Zelda was better, sorry for your loss.
>>
Can we agree that Ape Escape was never good?
>>
>>380443650
I respect your opinion, but i have to disagree. I think that Horizon Zero Dawn was the better game and your opinion does not alter my enjoyment of either game.
>>
>>380444057
I guess 'taste' is something you HAVE and not something you can LEARN.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.