[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

XCOM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: 2017-06-13 13_01_28-Steam.png (107KB, 322x150px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-13 13_01_28-Steam.png
107KB, 322x150px
1. Is this series worth it
2. How do I know if I'll like it
3. Which game should I start with
>>
File: beyond.jpg (71KB, 528x396px) Image search: [Google]
beyond.jpg
71KB, 528x396px
>>380331384
>how do I know if i'll like it.
Fucking play the game and make a decision. Jesus fucking christ this is by far the dumbest question I've seen in a long while. God fucking damn, I wish I could punch you.
>>
>>380331384
I don't like the turn limit in 2.

Makes every mission and mad rush.
>>
>>380331384
ufo defense
>>
>>380331384
>is this series worth it
it is well known for fleshing out modern turn based strategy games
>How do I know if I like it
First off, you must realize the game is going to rape you and accept loss
Only then can you learn from it, and then master it(I can beat UFO defense on superhuman in my sleep)
>What game should I start with

There are two timelines
Microprose/Firaxis

If you want to play all the games, start with UFO defense(Microprose original universe) but if you feel like its too old you can start with XCOM enemy within(Long war mod is extremely recommended) though you can just play XCOM2 on its own technically

Also remember
With long war, or the older games its less a turn based RPG(it is technically) but more of an alien defense sim(especially microprose universe)
>>
>>380333053
I feel it
That mod that allows it only to start counting down when spotted should have been apart of the vanilla game
>>
>>380332470
>fUCkIng PLaY thE GAme aNd mAKe a dECIsiOn. jeSUs FUckiNG chriSt THis iS by fAr tHE DuMbesT qUEStiOn i'VE sEEn iN a lOnG whILe. gOD FUCkinG daMn, I wiSh I cOUld pUnCh yOu
>>
File: 1497322886628.jpg (96KB, 943x763px) Image search: [Google]
1497322886628.jpg
96KB, 943x763px
>>380333460
>There are two timelines
There's three, didn't you read the historia?
>>
File: 640.jpg (40KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
40KB, 640x360px
>>380331384
Yes.
By playing it.
If you arn't a CASUAL the original X-COM: Ufo Defense and then move through the series on release order with some skips, if you only play modern games then XCOM: Enemy Unknown(Core Game)+Enemy Within (Expansion) and then XCOM 2, XCOM 2 has some optional DLC and is getting a expansion pack in like 2 months, it also supports steam workshop so minor annoyance points like the Turn Limit can be turned off.

Honestly i woudl reccomend it like this.

Ufo Defense first, if you like it then you move to Terror from the Deep and then Apocalypse then you try XCOM EW, if you don't like it you move directly to EW.

If you liked Ufo Defense-Apocalypse better then EW then you go to Xenonauts, if you like EW better then Ufo Defense then you play XCOM 2
>>
File: VidJk_XC_ExAim.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
VidJk_XC_ExAim.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>380331384
- No... Not even once.
- Check out some of the old ironman impossible videos, still reasonably entertaining while giving you a good idea of the mechanics
- XCOM:EW is probably the most accessible of the bunch.
>>
>>380333053
I don't like the lack of second wave options
And that SPARKS are garbage
And the over-reliance on advent for enemies
Frankly not too fond of the ranger class overall

Good thing there's mods
>>
>>380334102
The Bureau is its own timeline, since it doesn't fit in with any of the other games.
>>
>>380334102
>Xenonauts
>Anything more than a bootleg UFO defense with somehow worse graphics
>Enforcer
Bait on so many things
>>
1. Yeah, even firaxiscom is far more complex and deep than other AAA games.
2. wut
3. If you're a newfag you should start with enemy unknown without longwar, then you play it with long war, than you play xcom 2 without lw and repeat with lw2
also you SHOULD play with ironman mode on, if you don't feel like you're good enough for it just turn difficulty down, but don't turn off iron man, never.
>>
>>380331384
Shit's fun, there's a demo for Xcom 1 so just go play it nigger.
>>
>>380334102
>mario
kek
>>
>>380333053
Without the timer every mission would be a slow overwatch creep though.
>>
>>380331384

If you're new to it then i would suggest XCOM: Enemy Unknown
If you don't mind playing older games, then go play the older ones first like the other anons suggested

EW is really good, i still need to get XCOM 2
>>
>>380331384
Pledge pic related

>>380334732
The demo is just the tutorial, sadly
>>
>>380331384
>2. How do I know if I'll like it
Watch a few videos
>>
>>380333460
>Long war mod is extremely recommended
I don't know about that. Long war added a ton of cool shit, but it also added it's fair share of bullshit that I personally ini edited away.
Part of the appeal to long war is the ability to tailor it to what you want, so I'd only recommend it on a 2nd playthrough once you already know what you like and don't like.
>>
File: .jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
>>380334080

>ᶠᵘᶜᵏᶦnᵍ ᵖˡᵃʸ ᵗʰᵉ ᵍᵃᵐᵉ ᵃnᵈ ᵐᵃᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵈᵉᶜᶦˢᶦᵒn. ʲᵉˢᵘˢ ᶠᵘᶜᵏᶦnᵍ ᶜʰʳᶦˢᵗ ᵗʰᶦˢ ᶦˢ ᵇʸ ᶠᵃʳ ᵗʰᵉ ᵈᵘᵐᵇᵉˢᵗ ᑫᵘᵉˢᵗᶦᵒn ᴵ'ᵛᵉ ˢᵉᵉn ᶦn ᵃ ˡᵒnᵍ ʷʰᶦˡᵉ. ᵍᵒᵈ ᶠᵘᶜᵏᶦnᵍ ᵈᵃᵐn, ᴵ ʷᶦˢʰ ᴵ ᶜᵒᵘˡᵈ ᵖᵘnᶜʰ ʸᵒᵘ.
>>
>>380336793
>the fucking fatigue system
JFC what were they thinking
>>
>>380337339
To don't have an A-team
>>
>>380337339
>ayy scout sneezes on interceptor
>repair time: 25 days
>>
>>380337495
A-Team was already suboptimal. It just makes losing people artificially more punishing, since you're now forced to maintain a rotation.
>>
>>380337660
It was even worse in XCOM 2. Person gets shot and loses 1 health and 4 armor, out for 18 days. I couldn't even bother to get past Mag weapons in LW2 because it got so tedious.
>>
>>380337339
Trying to encourage more character cycling so you don't just use the same team for EVERYTHING.

Funny thing, i had a shitty idea that 2 could allow you to have a small scout ship/heli with like 2 soldiers that you could send so you could scan more nodes and do "smaller" missions with as mid-game upgrade (But can only operate roughly a continent away from the Avenger and only for so long before returning), especially since the AVATAR PROJECT mechanic basically forces you to always pick the option that stops breakthroughs, making Ops choices kinda shallow since there is a very low chance of "just" getting a choice between the "minor" activities and promote some multi-tasking.
>>
>1. Is this series worth it
Yes.
>2. How do I know if I'll like it
Do you like turn based tactical (do not confuse with trategy)?
>3. Which game should I start with
Any one I think. But if you have a lot of time, the 1.
>>
>>380331384
Go play Terror From the Deep.
>>
>>380331384
Yes
Look at youtube videos?
XCOM EU
>>
>>380339624
Just make sure you play Playstation version
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.